New Album "If" (Oct 2021 release)

Talk about Libera CD/DVD

Moderator: Moderators

Surpinto
Platinum Member

Re: New Album "If" (Oct 2021 release)

Post by Surpinto »

Wow! Thank you both for that story, I had no idea about Isaac choosing whether or not he was up to singing the piece at each concert. We know from interviews that Isaac admitted to being extremely nervous during solos; so I'm sure that having that sort of control decreased the anxiety on his part.
maartendas
Diamond Member

Post by maartendas »

Life has been too demanding for me to write a review of 'If', and frankly, I wonder *if* I could even manage to write one. To me, 'If' is phenomenal.

However, I would like to share my listening experience last night on the train through Austria. I had a private cabin and had dimmed the lights to look at the stars and the far away lights of hillside villages. I had put on my earphones, selected 'If', pressed play and gazed out the window. Some songs became extra powerful this way.

'If' itself was incredibly tender, more than normal.

As 'Cum Dederit' started, the Moon slid into view. A wonderful effect.

In 'Nearer my God', at the words "darkness be o'er me", a church came into view, all lit up from the outside, like a beacon in the night. I kept my gaze focused on it for as long as I could as the train passed and listening to the words I felt tears come.

'Vespera' was simply magical. I had a direct view of the brightly shining Moon, in the middle of what's called the Winter Hexagon, a hexagon-like shape made out by six stars in different constellations of the winter night sky. Luca's voice was as bright as the Moon itself - but then, during the first time that they sing "Hide me, hide me", the train passed through a tunnel for the exact duration of that part of the song! It just fit perfectly - just as it was perfect to hear the words "the stars shine out their glorious light" while seeing exactly that.

'Deep Peace' also mentions the night sky, so it was again perfect to hear the words "Moon and stars pour their healing light on you" as the train rumbled on through the Austrian hills under a clear sky of stars and the Moon in their midst.

Finally, 'Nunc dimittis' was almost like a mystical experience. Those soft flowing lines, the exquisite tenderness, matched with the passing, fleeting sights of factories, train stations and streets, with their beaming artificial lighting, somehow felt like a dream that at the same time was all too real. Looking at a world that will pass and hearing a song about letting go of life in the knowledge of everlasting peace.

So, with shorter days still ahead, perhaps try listening to 'If' under a clear sky of stars :)
You raise me high beyond the sky
Through stormy night lifting me above
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

maartendas wrote: <span title="Mon Oct 25, 2021 4:29 pm">2 years ago</span> Life has been too demanding for me to write a review of 'If', and frankly, I wonder *if* I could even manage to write one. To me, 'If' is phenomenal.

However, I would like to share my listening experience last night on the train through Austria. I had a private cabin and had dimmed the lights to look at the stars and the far away lights of hillside villages. I had put on my earphones, selected 'If', pressed play and gazed out the window. Some songs became extra powerful this way.

'If' itself was incredibly tender, more than normal.

As 'Cum Dederit' started, the Moon slid into view. A wonderful effect.

In 'Nearer my God', at the words "darkness be o'er me", a church came into view, all lit up from the outside, like a beacon in the night. I kept my gaze focused on it for as long as I could as the train passed and listening to the words I felt tears come.

'Vespera' was simply magical. I had a direct view of the brightly shining Moon, in the middle of what's called the Winter Hexagon, a hexagon-like shape made out by six stars in different constellations of the winter night sky. Luca's voice was as bright as the Moon itself - but then, during the first time that they sing "Hide me, hide me", the train passed through a tunnel for the exact duration of that part of the song! It just fit perfectly - just as it was perfect to hear the words "the stars shine out their glorious light" while seeing exactly that.

'Deep Peace' also mentions the night sky, so it was again perfect to hear the words "Moon and stars pour their healing light on you" as the train rumbled on through the Austrian hills under a clear sky of stars and the Moon in their midst.

Finally, 'Nunc dimittis' was almost like a mystical experience. Those soft flowing lines, the exquisite tenderness, matched with the passing, fleeting sights of factories, train stations and streets, with their beaming artificial lighting, somehow felt like a dream that at the same time was all too real. Looking at a world that will pass and hearing a song about letting go of life in the knowledge of everlasting peace.

So, with shorter days still ahead, perhaps try listening to 'If' under a clear sky of stars :)
Thanks for this. What a neat way to experience the album! :D
LordG

Post by LordG »

I found this CD+DVD Combo in my mailbox today. :D

You will find a making of "If" on the DVD.

So far I'm pleased with what I've found.
if_(Japan)_2021__1500px.jpg
if_(Japan)_2021__1500px.jpg (98.22 KiB) Viewed 4032 times
if_(Japan)_2021__1500px.jpg
if_(Japan)_2021__1500px.jpg (98.22 KiB) Viewed 4032 times
All Albums (CD+Vinyl) in my possession :oops: :D
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

LordG wrote: <span title="Fri Oct 29, 2021 5:17 pm">2 years ago</span> I found this CD+DVD Combo in my mailbox today. :D

You will find a making of "If" on the DVD.

So far I'm pleased with what I've found.
Cool! I assume it's the same video as on their YouTube channel?
bachmahlerfan

Post by bachmahlerfan »

Just a couple brief thoughts on a few tracks:

Vespera: Old version vs. New version: I don't know, they're both great. The solo part seems made for Steven Geraghty, but I really like Luca's voice here as well. His voice just has a fundamentally appealing sound to it. I like the addition of the low voices in the opening chant.

Ave Maria: Libera's arrangement is interesting, and I like the conviction in Tadhg's voice. However, I prefer the piece in its original form with piano accompaniment, and with an adult female soprano. Barbara Bonney's performance of this is just perfect, but there are other ones that I like as well.

Let Me Make Songs: This is one of Robert's most conventional compositions, yet I can't stop listening to this piece. The melody reflects the message very well. It's an impassioned plea, but also shows courageous determination.

Lux Aeterna: I like how the chant fits in with the rest of the piece, and how when it returns at the end, you see how it works with the chord progression. Hearing the voices alone at the end gave me a feeling of sadness knowing that Robert has passed away.

Nunc Dimittis: I think Libera brought something new to this piece with their performance. I've heard other performances of both versions of this piece, as well as the old Angel Voices version. Anyways, the contrast between Tadhg's and Dominik's voices is what stands out to me as unique in this performance. Dominik's voice serves both as a response and an echo, but it's always muted and very pure in tone. Meanwhile, Tadhg's more dramatic and raw voice is the heart of the piece. The choir gives a heavenly ambience, which is appropriate when considering the context of the words in the bible.
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

Thanks for your thoughts about those songs! A lot of those are the same ones that I felt compelled to comment about as well. I too like the contrasting voices in Nunc Dimittis. As you well stated Tadhg’s voice has a unique quality which suits him well for both that piece as well as Ave Maria.
JimmyRiddle
Diamond Member

Post by JimmyRiddle »

Some chart updates on Libera's new album (IF) as per http://www.crossovermedia.net/blog/entr ... 8E6D231F4/
"If" has charted on Billboard Japan at No2 Traditional Classical Albums. Look at some very nice photos of the display in Tower Records - Tokyo. After week 1 of the physical release, "If" has charted on Billboard US at No2 Traditional Classical Albums. On week 1 on the UK Official Charts 'If' charted No 4 - Classical Artist Albums.
Pretty decent going, although I can only see it debuting at No.14 in the UK Charts but that's for the w/e 29th Oct - it maybe charted higher the week before but not showing.
My Twitter; JimmyRiddlez
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

JimmyRiddle wrote: <span title="Fri Nov 12, 2021 4:26 pm">2 years ago</span> Some chart updates on Libera's new album (IF) as per http://www.crossovermedia.net/blog/entr ... 8E6D231F4/
"If" has charted on Billboard Japan at No2 Traditional Classical Albums. Look at some very nice photos of the display in Tower Records - Tokyo. After week 1 of the physical release, "If" has charted on Billboard US at No2 Traditional Classical Albums. On week 1 on the UK Official Charts 'If' charted No 4 - Classical Artist Albums.
Pretty decent going, although I can only see it debuting at No.14 in the UK Charts but that's for the w/e 29th Oct - it maybe charted higher the week before but not showing.
Wonderful! I'm sure the Japanese fans will be eager to have them back after such an extended hiatus. Wish we could fill the sort of huge concert venue they manage in Japan here in the US....or even the UK for that matter.
bamboo
Silver Member

Post by bamboo »

Anyone managed to get the CD insert that lists all the instrumentalists and Libera members who participated in the recording?
Lux Aeterna

Post by Lux Aeterna »

bamboo wrote: <span title="Fri Dec 10, 2021 1:58 am">2 years ago</span> Anyone managed to get the CD insert that lists all the instrumentalists and Libera members who participated in the recording?
Attachments
IMG_20211210_115905_HDR.jpg
IMG_20211210_115905_HDR.jpg (1.96 MiB) Viewed 3377 times
IMG_20211210_115905_HDR.jpg
IMG_20211210_115905_HDR.jpg (1.96 MiB) Viewed 3377 times
IMG_20211210_115901_HDR.jpg
IMG_20211210_115901_HDR.jpg (2.31 MiB) Viewed 3377 times
IMG_20211210_115901_HDR.jpg
IMG_20211210_115901_HDR.jpg (2.31 MiB) Viewed 3377 times
The heaven soars with voices above...
bamboo
Silver Member

Post by bamboo »

Thanks! I'm just wondering why the newer boys aren't mentioned? Even though they can be seen in the Sing for Our World video..
fan_de_LoK
Diamond Member

Post by fan_de_LoK »

The video of 'Sing Ofr Our World' is from August 2021.
It shows three boys that were still mini-boys at that time, Pietro, Thomas M, Samuel, and that are not in the CD credits.

The logic explanation seems simple : the audio record that is on the CD does not come from what we see on the video, but from a previous recording.
Padmachou
Silver Member

Post by Padmachou »

fan_de_LoK wrote: <span title="Mon Dec 13, 2021 12:39 pm">2 years ago</span> The video of 'Sing Ofr Our World' is from August 2021.
It shows three boys that were still mini-boys at that time, Pietro, Thomas M, Samuel, and that are not in the CD credits.

The logic explanation seems simple : the audio record that is on the CD does not come from what we see on the video, but from a previous recording.
I'm not even sure the audio on the video is a different audio than the album. The video might just be a clip using the previous record.
fan_de_LoK
Diamond Member

Post by fan_de_LoK »

Padmachou wrote: <span title="Mon Dec 13, 2021 1:46 pm">2 years ago</span> I'm not even sure the audio on the video is a different audio than the album. The video might just be a clip using the previous record.
Yes, I agree with you. The audio we hear in the video comes from the CD version.