Talk about anything else here

Moderator: Moderators

liawhite

Post by liawhite »

I ordered Eternal pretty late in the game… I got it about 3 weeks ago. To be completely honest, I’m not sure the album in its entirety is all that worth the money, since I had almost all the songs in my collection already. But it is nice, and the new songs are awesome, even if there are only a few. I also liked the fact that the insert had the soloists’ names for each song, which was helpful since I actually wasn’t sure about a couple of the songs.

The best purchases I have made recently, however, have been the albums Libera and Luminosa. I already had Free, Visions, Angel Voices, Angel Voices: Libera Live, and New Dawn, so the other two made wonderful additions to my collection. I really enjoy listening to the older versions of some of my favorite songs… it’s an interesting treat of some of Libera’s past history. Luminosa’s “Veni Sancta” I had heard before, but not on an exclusively Libera album. I had heard it on the collaborative album Monastery of Chant, which also has 6 other older Libera songs on it, as well as others from different artists. I love the song… that one, “Sacris Solemnis”, and “Attendite” have been played many times since I’ve bought the CD.

I also wanted to mention, there is an import CD store based in California (for those of you who live in the US), which has Libera CD’s… that’s where I ordered mine from, and it took about 5-6 days. I’ll grab the website address if anyone wants it.
paopao

Post by paopao »

ah thanks libera36, i was thinking the same way too.. but no Vespera.. T_T
Oh well, the remixes are cool, Steven's really got the talent..
this CD is a good weapon to convert my non-Libera friends! hahaha..
Digs
Silver Member

Post by Digs »

I am not sure if everyone knows that you can order all of Libera's CDs right off of this web site. You go to Libera Dreams home site not the forum, and then click on Libera Dreams store. I ordered my Eternal Cd from here and it was cheaper and lightning fast shipping :!: 8)
"Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and life to everything."
Plato
Jude Andrew
Gold Member

Post by Jude Andrew »

I very much enjoyed the Eternal CD and it opened me up to songs I hadn't previously heard. It also made me appreciate what some of the former choir members acheived. I have an odd collection; Angel Voices 1 & 3, Libera in concert, New Dawn and now Eternal but I have never heard the likes on Free, Luminosa or Visions. Shame on me :oops: . I must admit that I was pleasanlty surprised by some of the earlier songs; particulalry 'Do not stand on my grave' with Ben Crawley on solo, which in my humble opinion is the best version I have heard (I am sure that several people here will argue that point :wink: !). I also really liked Sing forever, We are the lost, Voca Me, Recordare and the peerless How can I keep from singing. So, for me, having not heard most of these songs before, it was well worth it but I can understand why some people wouldn't by it too. I also think it was a pity that they did not include some of Libera in concert songs as I thought the versions Prayer and Going Home in Leiden were superior to the original studio versions. But that's just my opionion :D .
Mathmaniac
Silver Member

Post by Mathmaniac »

Since I already have Angel Voices 3, Libera, Luminosa, Free, Visions, Angel Voices (studio), Libera in Concert (both CD and DVD), and New Dawn, this CD didn't have much that was new for me. However, I still think it was a good purchase, since every purchase helps supports Libera. You know what they say: "Support live music. Buy a CD!"

I am slightly disappointed that they did not include any recordings from before Free, however after looking at when Libera changed labels to EMI Classics, I am not surprised.

Jude, for a different feel for some of the Libera-standard songs, the first 2 albums, Libera and Luminosa, have different arrangements. Libera uses synth drums a bit more liberally than any other album, though Luminosa is much more contemplative, with many more songs based off of famous composers.
"The true joy of life is the journey. Don't become obsessed with calculating the steps to achieve goals. Instead, eat more ice cream, go barefoot more often, swim more rivers, watch more sunsets, laugh more, cry less, and enjoy the presence of the people around you."
- Dr. John Grieco, 1941-2004
Jude Andrew
Gold Member

Post by Jude Andrew »

Mathmaniac wrote:Jude, for a different feel for some of the Libera-standard songs, the first 2 albums, Libera and Luminosa, have different arrangements. Libera uses synth drums a bit more liberally than any other album, though Luminosa is much more contemplative, with many more songs based off of famous composers.
Thanks for that, I will look into ordering them.
PiusPatronus

Post by PiusPatronus »

Mathmaniac wrote:Since I already have Angel Voices 3, Libera, Luminosa, Free, Visions, Angel Voices (studio), Libera in Concert (both CD and DVD), and New Dawn, this CD didn't have much that was new for me. However, I still think it was a good purchase, since every purchase helps supports Libera. You know what they say: "Support live music. Buy a CD!"
Hell yes!
Any CDs or DVDs that I buy that is from Libera is always money well spent!
Quote from the movie Copying Beethoven
"The vibrations on the air are the breath of God speaking to man's soul. Music is the language of God. We musicians are as close to God as man can be. We hear his voice, we read his lips, we give birth to the children of God, who sing his praise. That's what musicians are. "
email

Post by email »

hm...i got mine couple of week ago..
to all libera fans in jakarta, i've found mine in musicplus taman anggrek.
the only thing i dissapoint about it is that it's has no lyrics, so i have to search it from angelvoices yahoo group or from official website...
but the songs...hm...love 'em all!!!!!
dillonryan

Post by dillonryan »

OK, I would not order from Borders because it is really expensive (about $33 US). I currently have the Barnes and Noble website open to their ordering page and am just waiting for my mom to get home so I can ask for her credit card. It is really sheap over there (about $13 US). So guys, wish me luck on convincing my mom!
Jude Andrew
Gold Member

Post by Jude Andrew »

dillonryan wrote:OK, I would not order from Borders because it is really expensive (about $33 US). I currently have the Barnes and Noble website open to their ordering page and am just waiting for my mom to get home so I can ask for her credit card. It is really sheap over there (about $13 US). So guys, wish me luck on convincing my mom!
:lol: Hey, good luck with that Dillon !!

I just ordered Visions, Free and Luminosa as a package deal on Amazon.co.uk for £23. Not bad...
dillonryan

Post by dillonryan »

Wow :shock: That's not bad at all. At least from what I remember of the UK pound to USD conversion, which isn't much, seeing as I haven't lived there in over seven years.
tcliffy
Gold Member

Post by tcliffy »

I still need to get Luminosa, Eternal, and the Libera album. Oh, and Angel Voices 2
http://www.troyesivan.com/forum" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
carina_gino20
Platinum Member

Post by carina_gino20 »

I've been thinking whether I should buy it or not, for a long time now. Some of the reasons why I hesitated are that 1) like some of you, I already had most of the songs there and 2) I have to travel half an hour to go to the store.

But yesterday, there was a bazaar just in front of my lecture theatre and there was a stall selling classical music. I usually just walk past them but since I was early for class, I decided to browse through their collection. Lo and behold, Eternal was there. After some internal deliberation (and well, the lady selling it looked like she was getting frustrated with me... :lol: ), I finally bought it.
"I'm drowning here, and you're describing the water!" - Melvin Udall

Jude Andrew
Gold Member

Post by Jude Andrew »

Jude Andrew wrote:
dillonryan wrote:OK, I would not order from Borders because it is really expensive (about $33 US). I currently have the Barnes and Noble website open to their ordering page and am just waiting for my mom to get home so I can ask for her credit card. It is really sheap over there (about $13 US). So guys, wish me luck on convincing my mom!
:lol: Hey, good luck with that Dillon !!

I just ordered Visions, Free and Luminosa as a package deal on Amazon.co.uk for £23. Not bad...
Not sure what took Amazon so long but 2 of 3 arrived late last week; Visions and Free. I haven't really had an opportunity to sit down and listen to them undisturbed but plan on doing that in the next couple of days. No sign of Luminosa yet though and not ETA from Amazon... not sure what the hold up is but overall am delighted that I have two more Libera CD's to my collection *whoop, whoop* :lol:
Jude Andrew
Gold Member

Post by Jude Andrew »

So, I have listened to Free several times over the past few days. There were a few songs on there that I had never heard before but still a few old favorites like 'Stay with me', 'Voca me', 'I am the day', 'I vow to thee', 'Adoramus' and 'Be still my soul' just sung by other soloists. There were a few surprises; 'Do not Stand' sung by Ben Crawley and Joe Platt !! I have to say that I think this version marginally pips Tom's version (blasphemy, I know :oops: ). Also, I cannot understand why 'When a Knight' didn't make it onto the Eternal CD :x . That song is awesome !! and again I was surprised that Ben Crawley didn't do the solo but Joe is excellent as the soloist. But of the songs I had not previosuly heard before 'Song of enchanment' and 'Twilight' are quite good but 'Lament' stood out from the others. It's very good, very traditional and close to the plainchant style. I really liked it. But still the stand out song from this CD, for me, is 'When a knight' . Having listened to this CD now, I really appreciate how good Ben Crawley was as a soloist.