Concert St John’s Smith Square (2021)

Talks and reviews about Libera concerts or public appearances

Moderator: Moderators

Mercurial909
Silver Member

Re: Concert St John’s Smith Square (2021)

Post by Mercurial909 »

Look who came back to help out…

Isaac London. Squeeeeeeeee…🥺💖
D932D823-2180-4AE6-BB90-728B2DF03EE7.jpeg
D932D823-2180-4AE6-BB90-728B2DF03EE7.jpeg (410.97 KiB) Viewed 8928 times
D932D823-2180-4AE6-BB90-728B2DF03EE7.jpeg
D932D823-2180-4AE6-BB90-728B2DF03EE7.jpeg (410.97 KiB) Viewed 8928 times
Mercurial909
Silver Member

Post by Mercurial909 »

Finally gave in and purchased the concert on the SJ website as a Christmas treat to meself, and so glad I did.

It was very emotional knowing that this was the first Christmas concert Libera have performed since Rob’s passing but I tried not to get tearful anyway, and failed. Victor’s performance of Rob’s final written piece was so, so special. Made me realise just how lucky we’ve been to have Victor as a treble for so long.
This will definitely be his last Christmas as a treble. Same goes for Dominik who has been my stand-out in this crop of boys since he joined.

Also I hadn’t realised that Daniel White was already 13 so it could well be his last Christmas as a treble too. If that’s the case I really hope he’ll stay on for a while. His charisma reminds me a little of his namesa ke Cassius O’Connell White. His rendition of “If” was so sweet and you could hear some little low notes in his voice.

I think the two lads who impressed me the most were Luca Brugnoli and Freddie Mushrafi. If nothing else we know Libera will be in good shape when Victor, Dominik and Daniel W step back because WOW. So much talent following in their footsteps. Luca especially has improved exponentially over the last year. His voice is so strong and rich, and his range is almost at TDL levels.

Also so impressed by the younger talent coming through. Am I right in thinking many of the younger soloists were soloing for the first time?
Amazing.

Can’t wait to see what Libera has in store for us next year.💖

Seasons Greetings and Happy Holidays to one and all. 🎄🎉❄️🎁❄️🎉🎄
Egorbea2018

Post by Egorbea2018 »

Libera Christmas Concert
St John Smith Square
December 2021
My Review

I want to thank the staff and parents of Libera and St John Smith Square for giving us a fantastic concert via streaming. Steven Geraghty was an awesome director. And thank you Sam Coates, the official musical director, for keeping Libera going.

I want to especially congratulate all the charming, witty, funny, and very articulate boys who gave speeches. I am doing my review of the songs, but I am also including all the speeches word for word for your enjoyment. Daniel White was very funny and cheeky, rousing the crowd to laughter. Koji Shinokubo was very formal and proper, delivering his speeches like a professional. Frederick Mushrafi had perfect diction, and has a bouncy, charming delivery. We got two new speakers: Laurence Davey and Joseph Hill. Laurence Davey was formal and confident but also witty. Joseph Hill is so sweet and confident for one so young.

Vespera

Luca Brugnoli does the solo and Daniel Catalogna does the high descant standing at the back right by himself. Luca was sensational in his very demanding solo. His voice has matured nicely and he is much more confident in his singing. His voice soars. Daniel Catalogna was wonderful in his high descant. This is his first major solo in a concert. This is a sublime arrangement and it is so atmospheric with the gorgeous tenor voices (Laurence Taylor, Oliver Watt-Rodriguez, Neo Parson, Joseph Cranitch, Tadgh Fitzgerald, Johnny Gardner, Nathaniel Bates-Fisher, and Alexandre Menuet). It is a very solemn start for a Christmas concert. I am so glad to see the Libera formations again!

Speech 1 – Koji Shinokubo and Daniel White

Koji: Hello and welcome to our Libera concert. I’m Koji.

Daniel: and I’m Daniel

Koji: as you know we are called Libera which is the Latin word for free.

Daniel: We were actually on this stage exactly one year ago. Although this year we are much truer to our name because we are free to move around once again and deliver a proper Libera concert. Alright!

Koji: That last song, Vespera is from our new album If that we released in October. It features some of our trademark Libera ingredients: some ancient chants, lots of harmony parts, and Daniel singing some very high notes.

Daniel: Vespera was actually written about 20 years ago when Libera haven’t been around very long. It was written by Robert our musical director and creator. We sadly lost Robert in September and this is our first proper concert without him. But as I am sure, you will hear he is in lots of the music you will hear tonight.

Koji: He was a brilliant composer and he wrote our next song in April last year when all singing and rehearsing was limited. It was also one of the last things he wrote, so it is very special to us.

Daniel: It is called Once an Angel and Victor is going to start it.

Once an Angel

Victor Wiggin does the solo with harmonies by Daniel White who stands slightly behind him. A smaller group of trebles, than on the first song, form a semi-circle behind Victor and Daniel while only three tenors (Nathaniel Bates-Fisher, Johnny Gardner, and Oliver Watt-Rodriguez) remain in the back. Victor with his dreamy, sultry, alto voice is fantastic. Daniel does a beautiful harmony. The blue light makes the melody seem even more ethereal and surreal. These are two very experienced performers who convey the feeling of the songs they are singing. Victor and Daniel have very sad, solemn faces instead of their usual smiley, happy ones because this is their tribute to Robert Prizeman and the choir’s final goodbye to him. This song is so beautiful and gentle. I am grateful there is a video and a cd track for it.

Gaudete

This is my first ever Libera song, so it is always special to me. It is so festive and happy and we have Libera movements again. The mini boys joined and the tenors too. We have a new soloist: Luke Batteson- Dalpiaz. Luke has a nice, clear voice, a bit scratchy, like Victor Wiggin when he started doing solos. Luke seemed a bit nervous. He just needs more solos so he is more at ease. Congrats Luke, you did great!

Ding Dong Merrily on High

A happy, bouncy, fast paced song.

Speech 2 – Laurence Davey and Frederick Mushrafi

Laurence: Hello, I am Laurence.

Freddie: and I am Freddie

Laurence: You might have noticed some extra singers joining us for these last two pieces. They are the new junior group. We called them mini boys and some of them are just 7 years old. They started with us in September and tonight is their first Libera concert. They will be joining us in a few pieces they learned already.

Freddie: You might have also noticed some of the taller singers at the back. We call them, perhaps unsurprisingly, the Bigs. The current mini boys were not even born when some of the Bigs just joined Libera. Just last year they were singing solo parts and soaring up to some of the highest notes. And while they still can and often do reach those notes they mainly sing the lower harmonies that complete the whole sound of Libera. We will say goodbye to them now as we don’t need them in the next piece. Bye.

Laurence: I hope you are feeling festive because we have some Christmasy numbers up our rather large sleeves tonight. Like the last two, Gaudete and Ding Dong Merrily on High.

Freddie: But first we have two songs from our new album IF. That is also the song that Daniel will be starting in just a minute.

Laurence: But first Dominick is taking the lead in a piece by Vivaldi Cum Dederit.

Cum Dederit

WOW!!! Dominik Clarke delivers an astounding, flawless, performance of a very complex vocal arrangement (I am no musician, but it sounds extremely difficult). He is very calm and confident, but still intense in his mesmerizing, soaring high notes. Dominik’s voice is slightly lower than in the CD, but it has a richer, purer sound with a slight vibrato. You can see in his face how much he enjoys this song and how pleased he is of being in front of a live audience. His voice is so gorgeous in this song, it takes my breath away. His voice is like a bright shining sun burning into your very soul. I am amazed at the way he controls his breathing on the very long notes without losing sound quality. I joke, but it is like he has an extra lung. I remember the first time I heard Dominik do a solo. It was a solo of How shall I sing that Majesty in St. Louis, Missouri during the USA tour 2019. He was very tense, even though he was awesome, even back then. Even though Dominik is 15 years old, he might hold on to his alto voice for another year. It is possible that he will get solos for an alto voice because he is such an outstanding singer. Remember Joshua Madine? Josh sang Time with an alto voice and he was older than Dominik. There is hope for more solos from Dominik!

IF

Daniel White does the solo with his extraordinary voice. He gets better with each performance, if that is even possible. His voice is mature, smooth, sweet, beautiful, and very pleasing to the ear. He has always been very confident and outgoing, even at 9 years old doing his first solo in 2018. Daniel puts so much feeling in his rendition of this haunting song. He sings from the heart and his facial expressions act out the meaning of the words. His singing transports you to a different place. Daniel is extremely talented not only as a singer, but also as an entertainer. His speeches are memorable and funny! He enjoys the spotlight at lot! Even when his voice changes, I hope they keep him on the speeches. He is just awesome in every way!

Sing Lullaby (The Infant King)

The boys are kneeling in a semi-circle behind Dominik Clarke who stands in the front ready for his solo. The lower voices are back for this song. Dominik looks very relaxed and is clearly enjoying himself. He delivers his short solo perfectly as usual. After doing such an incredibly difficult song earlier, this is no challenge for Dominik’s talent. This song is delightful and the harmonies exquisite. I like it very much.

Ave Maria – Prizeman

Like Daniel said in his speech, we hear Robert Prizeman in his music and nowhere more clearly than in this song. We get a new soloist for this song: Lewis Quinn! Daniel White and Luca Brugnoli are the harmony voices with him. Lewis has a sure, even toned, beautiful voice. He seems nice and steady during his solo, not nervous. Lewis can certainly take over more songs in the near future. He has the talent and the confidence. Awesome job Lewis! We expect great solo singing from you in future concerts!

Speech 3- Koji Shinokubo and Daniel White

Koji: That was Ave Maria and it featured Lewis at the start. Tonight we are accompanied by a fabulous orchestra, many of whom are Libera regulars and come with us when we tour, which we hope to do very soon. Eimear, who plays the flute, is a fantastic soloist and she will be playing the Irish whistle for Wexford Carol in just a moment.

Daniel: You know who else comes with us when we travel: Moose. Yes, our choir mascot is back out of hibernation and he is dressed up festively for the occasion. Actually, Moose has had a busy Summer and there are a few moosen offspring on the merchandise table looking for new homes. Now, Moose are not just for Christmas but there are a lot of other things that are perfect Christmas presents.

Koji: like our new album If. (Daniel demonstrates). This Christmas, our version of Carol of the Bells is being used in Disney’s new Home Alone film. It is quite a tongue twister for us and we are going to sing it next.

Daniel: here is Carol of the Bells

Carol of the Bells

I love the Libera version of this song! It is so energetic, cheerful, and fun. The Libera harmonies and the great soloists add to the enjoyment. I did not see who did the two solos but I did see little Joseph Hill do the final ding dong. Joseph has a lovely, sweet, clear voice. And he was smiling too, not too scared from what he said in the interview. Great job Joseph!

Wexford Carol

This is a brilliant Libera arrangement made memorable by the fabulous solos of Isaac London and Tadgh Fitzgerald. But wait, we have a new soloist. Some of you fans said it was Morgan Whiltshire. He has a very gentle, beautiful voice. He was calm and sure of himself. Excellent performance. Daniel White and Daniel Catalogna supported him. I was very disappointed that the best part of the song, the Gaelic verse, was omitted and replaced by a flute solo. There are plenty of experienced soloists that could have done it if Morgan could not learn it in time.

Poor Little Jesus

Luca Brugnoli did the short solo with his lovely, sweet voice. The harmonies are beautiful.

Sacris Solemnis

This song is powerful with its dazzling harmonies. The soloist is Frederick Mushrafi. Freddie has a gorgeous alto voice. He is passionate on his singing. You could hear Luca Brugnoli doing his descant flawlessly, but quite louder than the rest. I agree with some of the fans. We want more solos from Freddie! Amazing solo!

Speech 4 – Joseph Hill and Frederick Mushrafi

Joseph: Hello, My name is Joseph. And, it is time for our last two songs.

Freddie: Both of them are from our new album and both have particular significance this evening. First is: Nearer my God to thee with only a few singers. But then, we will perform Sing which will feature all of us again. Its lyrics are particularly good as we look to the future in the hope that we can perform even more concerts, and create even more music together.

Joseph: So, this is our goodbye to you. Thanks for coming to see our concert, and though it is a little early.

Joseph and Freddie: Merry Christmas!

Nearer my God to thee

Luca Brugnoli starts it. Frederick Mushrafi joins Luca for a duet. Next comes Victor Wiggin with the low notes. And last come Daniel White and Ludwik Kowalczyk (according to another reviewer). Luca ends the song. What a stunning, enthralling performance! Wow!

Sing

Awesome, energetic song. Victor’s smile is back! Phenomenal performance by all the boys. I have liked this song since last year’s concert and it is my most played IF song. It is great fun for the boys and a good sing along for us when we listen in the car.

I saw three ships

Great ending to a fantastic concert!
Luckdragon
Gold Member

Post by Luckdragon »

Egorbea2018 wrote: <span title="Mon Dec 27, 2021 1:06 am">2 years ago</span> Libera Christmas Concert
St John Smith Square
December 2021
My Review...
Great review. Well-written, positive and upbeat. Thanks!
JimmyRiddle
Diamond Member

Post by JimmyRiddle »

Appreciate the reviews...just a quick few thoughts from me.

Dominik as is the general consensus with other members literally 'floored' me with his solo on 'Cum Dederit'...it's not a competition but surely one of the most complex and tricky solo's performed in a live setting to date? With his breath control I'm not sure a younger boy could make those notes last, so it was just the right time in his 'Libera' life to perform this solo to that incredibly high standard.

However solo's are adapted for each boys voice and Daniel following with 'If' was just as touching and tailored for his melodic timbre. Glad to hear Victor with 'Once an Angel' another one that hit the right spot after the boys speaking of Robert's passing in the speech prior.

'Nearer, My god,to Thee' was pitch perfect and Luca has an incredible voice. He'll probably get a lot more solo's to take on next year with a changing of the current guard.

All in all a thoroughly enjoyable and moving at times concert.
I hope 'Covid' is tackled next year to allow them to perform more concerts and go on those much sought after international tours.
My Twitter; JimmyRiddlez
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

Luckdragon wrote: <span title="Mon Dec 27, 2021 4:53 am">2 years ago</span>
Egorbea2018 wrote: <span title="Mon Dec 27, 2021 1:06 am">2 years ago</span> Libera Christmas Concert
St John Smith Square
December 2021
My Review...
Great review. Well-written, positive and upbeat. Thanks!
Second! Good review and I could hear the speeches in my head while re-reading them :lol: :D

Just one comment on "Wexford Carol" though because it's one of my all-time Libera favorites. I also noticed the one verse was played only with instruments, but this could mean that Morgan is still learning this verse properly, or they didn't want to put too much pressure on him on his first solo. I'd be curious if Isaac or Tadhg did the Gaelic versions in concert, as opposed to only on albums, because the Ireland version also did not include that verse. So it might just be standard procedure as well.
JimmyRiddle wrote: <span title="Mon Dec 27, 2021 12:13 pm">2 years ago</span> Dominik as is the general consensus with other members literally 'floored' me with his solo on 'Cum Dederit'...it's not a competition but surely one of the most complex and tricky solo's performed in a live setting to date? With his breath control I'm not sure a younger boy could make those notes last, so it was just the right time in his 'Libera' life to perform this solo to that incredibly high standard.
This song was no small fete and given his interest in this sort of operatic style music I think he practiced it endlessly until it was perfect.
JimmyRiddle wrote: <span title="Mon Dec 27, 2021 12:13 pm">2 years ago</span> I hope 'Covid' is tackled next year to allow them to perform more concerts and go on those much sought after international tours.
I hope so!
Mercurial909
Silver Member

Post by Mercurial909 »

tom413 wrote: <span title="Tue Dec 21, 2021 2:39 am">2 years ago</span> I totally agree. There doesn't seem to be much 8pm footage.
One way to test that theory is that Ethan was only able to appear in the second show.
Noticed his absence. Also, no Nathan Slater, unless I just didn’t notice him.
Omicron has been doing the rounds in London so any absences could be due to that.🤷🏽‍♀️
tom413
Gold Member

Post by tom413 »

Nathan did not appear in either concert, though he was listed in the program.
Ethan had another commitment which kept him from being able to perform at the 5:00pm show.
filiarheni
Gold Member

Post by filiarheni »

This review is an experiment, as due to not yet having written an "if" album review, I'll combine them regarding the songs that appeared both on the album and in concert, as this way it's easier to include some general remarks on the songs themselves. Let's see if it works.
I will keep the order of the concert.

Vespera
Music: Robert Prizeman
Words: Trad. & Robert Prizeman

Album
Vespera + I = friends forever! I had been anxious before. The 2001 version radiates 100 % positive energy; would the new one change that? To my joy and relief, my worries were unfounded. I fully affirm this version, it doesn't take anything off my previous feelings. :D Its arrangement is still marvelous and so very beautiful, deeper, wider, more expanded and still it's the old, uniquely atmospheric Vespera! The keyboard's sound which for me essentially contribute to this mood was not touched, so glad. I couldn't help smiling due to the pleasing listen and a feeling of complete comfort spread out in me.
One melodic element was modified, seemingly a bagatelle, but it does affect the mood there: It's the change in the Gregorian chant intro from originally being a whole step to a semitone now, which causes a moment of woe. It sits on the word "clementia", which has me wonder if this was a very subtle sign from Robert, a mix of hope and resignation in the face of his illness. It is my very own speculation, but as artists do express themselves in their art, who knows and there must have been a reason for this strange change.
Luca and Daniel C. are the ideal team for this song. Luca with his natural singing skill and his crystal clear voice does the song justice, and Daniel C. is simply terriffc on the vocalises! The production of Vespera is brilliant as well, such as the transition to the first refrain which feels like a smooth landing, oh wow, and wonderful, how Daniel takes the note over from Luca for his final vocalise.
All in all, the 2001 version is more ethereal and lighter, remote, while today's version is more grounded, more real, closer. So yes, they are different, but the specific atmosphere, that's what I've learnt now, can't be taken away from this song, because it is inherent to the composition.

Concert
Finally! Vespera in concert! And how marvelous it was! The tenderness of the music, the streaming, thoughtfully executed choir part, the gentle fills by the instruments. A flawless solo by Luca, whose voice perfectly matches the delicate keyboard dabbing/spots (?) and the fabulous, brightly shining vocalises by Daniel C., who sang securely in pitch. I'm enthusiastic about him!
The live version differed from the album by connecting the verse and refrain in a more emphasised way, by a delightful wave of the orchestra which let the rhythmic, somewhat springy verse flow into the very legato refrain, like a river opens out into the free ocean.

Vespera hasn't lost one bit of its fascinating translucency.

I like to fantasise that Vespera was Robert's final gift to the audience with which he fulfilled the long expressed wish of what I felt to be a majority of us. And what an emotional moment it must have been for its first soloist Steven to realise that very first time as its conductor now, him, who has enchanted us with his solo up to today!
I beg for the song to remain in the concert set list for a very long time. Apart from not yet having experienced it live :cry:, I will definitely want to hear it again and again ... and again.

And now that Vespera has vanished from our crying list, the song which will fill the resulting gap for me is Benedictus Deus. :mrgreen:

Daniel W. and Koji gave a spirited welcome to the audience, being very glad to be "much truer to our name" this year because they could move on stage and deliver "a proper Libera concert". Yeah, Libera, that it is! :D Then there followed a tribute speech for Robert that moved me to tears. Although this concert proved that Libera is in the best hands, for me he will continue to be present in each future concert, album and all else that is related to Libera.
I felt shattered to hear that Robert wrote Once an Angel already in April 2020. So long ago! I'm still convinced of what I wrote here. But it means that he was aware so early. This is heartbreaking all the more.

Once an Angel
Music & words: Robert Prizeman
Arr.: Sam Coates

Album
It's the album's starting song and I like this choice. It's like a preface Robert took. To lay down his sorrow and his wishes for Libera to persist also after him and then, with the following Let Me Make Songs for the People say: "And now let us dive deeply into the music and enjoy!" The song is wistful, but I do find comfort, I have to say, in seeing it in the analytical way of directly relating it to Robert's situation. I also think that Robert couldn't have expressed his true love for Libera better than through this song.
Once an Angel is much more beautiful and less sad than I had expected and Sam did a wonderful arranging job. He uses those liberaesque features such as mystic sounds, the way how the voices are led, and the flourishing harmonies, especially later in the song - but all of this in a more restrained way. Very adequately done and certainly a good sign for the future. Thank you, Sam!
I especially love those percussive notes, which bring tiny balls before my inner eye, glowing like stars and floating through the air. It is a contemplative song that provides a haunting duet by Victor and Daniel W. (I presume that's Daniel on the album as well - I have to complain once more that the second voice soloist remains uncredited in the booklet. :!: ) It was absolutely appropriate to give the solos of this important song to two long-lasting, firm pillars of Libera.
Plausibly, it's a minor key piece, but at the "long ago" bit yet another shadowing happens by the change to a semitone, which once more adds to the resigned mood. And still the song as a whole sparkles and certainly conveys hope and brightness aside from the sad cause for its existence. It is a goosebumps song.
Victor has definitely improved his technique. I prefer the clear to the breathy voices and I like it that his voice is more direct now. It sounds beautiful.

Concert
I think that this song's live performance was touching in a particular way for those on stage and in the audience, because we will probably all have sunk into memories of Robert. I can't imagine that it was easy to sing such a meaningful solo live and admire Victor for having mastered it so well. His voice is in the stage of changing and his low register is strong and firm, while the height still shines. We know Victor as the embodiment of the word smile, but here he was serious in a very special way and Daniel looked sad. Very moving. Great performance, beautifully harmonised by the choir and very sensitively accompanied by the orchestra.

Will we hear Once an Angel in concert again?

Gaudete
Music & words: Trad.
Arr.: Robert Prizeman

That's an ever-uplifting song, frequenting a concert set list once more. As I see it, Gaudete is another one of the springboard songs for new soloists. Luke BD sang the solo. He has a very nice voice and flawlessly kept the pitch. I noticed some technical breathing issues, which I ascribe to nerves, but he did manage to hold the long notes until their end without losing them - I marvel at such capability! So after this fine debut should have gained him the justified confidence, I am looking forward to his further solos. The choir delivered the song with routine.

Ding Dong Merrily on High
Music: Trad.
Words: George Woodward

And this is an ever-fun song with the lovely, playful recorders (recalling Praetorius's Terpsichore in me), and it just rolls! Of course every live time I must, in a silly way, be very, very scared that they fail to miss the jump off the Gloria whirlpool towards the end and spend the rest of their life therein, but why not have a funny challenge for the conductor to prove to count correctly?! :P
In the concert stream, the Ding-Dongs came out in a much accentuated way that fits the arrangement well, and I felt reminded of Dominik literally "biting" the notes in former concerts.

Today he was calmer, he's grown older, the following song was drawing near ... and it would be Dominik's high-skill awe masterpiece!

Cum Dederit
Music: Antonio Vivaldi
Words: Trad.

Album
The story of the ballad which was no ballad. This song purely musically reminds me of Three Ravens, due to the somehow eerie mood, the same dotted strings rhythm which pushes the song ahead, the building drama by the rising and falling of the choir part, a certain underlying threatening atmosphere, the treatment of lead and choral parts. There is a certain gloominess already in Vivaldi's composition, which is reinforced here, while I'm not sure if the words actually provide that mood.
Anyway, this Libera rendition is simply electrifying in each regard. There's Sam's breathtaking arrangement! I can only repeat myself: How lucky we all are to have him! An enigmatic component in Dominik's voice fits the music in an outstanding way. Actually, in the direct comparison I prefer the live version. Dominik's voice has a darker timbre now, which is good for the song. Also, the recorded version sounds more restrained.

Concert
While I have no idea when the song was recorded, Dominik with his passion for singing actively developed his skills since then, and as he seemed focused and free of stage fright, the result couldn't be other than magnificent.
The entire Libera bunch was awesome as well! The tension of the song is so infectious when singing it, you just have to go with it. The choir part is equally important for the song's dramatic effect as the solo. You're aware of the choir's presence all the time and it's a perfect example of how choir and soloist complement each other to the best effect.
This was the most suitable song for Dominik to show off all his talent: his stunning legato, the superb treatment of the back and forth of the dynamics as he guides his voice along the song, and oh dear, oh dear, oh deeeear - how in the world, Dominik, were you able to hold those notes so long?!! :shock: And he didn't only master their length. A long note must be shaped in a way, it must be filled with life, and Dominik formed excellent crescendi which did exactly that in an extraordinary way! The landing at the end got a tiny bit rough, naturally it was time for some breathing, yet that had been definitely high art of singing and I was fully luxuriating in those fantastic notes! Well, as beautiful as his voice sounds and as far as his technical skills are, my admiration first and foremost goes to his musical understanding and his ability to transfer it via his voice.
I am very glad that Dominik was able to bring his love for arias on a Libera album and even more that he got to sing it live. I'm sure he will go on with singing and get very far; he is equipped with the talent and the will. Good luck for that, Dominik, see you in opera one day?

I never seriously doubted it, but this song in my opinion brings evidence that Libera is capable of singing everything live on stage, namely the afore-mentioned Benedictus Deus and Three Ravens, which I consider as two of their top challenging songs. They possess the vocal material and the leadership to manage that. (Of course, a horrible ballad as is Three Ravens won't appear in a church concert. :shock: :wink:)

If
Music: Michael Nyman
Words: Roger Pulvers

Album
If - I already wrote earlier about how poignant this song is and how intensely it moves me.
There's one association I get. That distinctly palpable ongoing regular beat by the orchestra and the way it is set already in the original composition by Michael Nyman had me think of the human pulse. Just for curiosity, I measured the bpm which is ca. 70. As far as I know, this is more or less the average of what is considered the norm range for an adult. I cannot be sure, how could I. But here we do have a song of philanthropy, and I find this closeness to a heartbeat interesting. It also has something of "go on, don't give up your hopes".
Daniel sings If by worlds better than in the concert last year, and it makes me so happy! His voice is very soft and reminds me of cotton flocks. It has a stable and straight core, enfolded in that cotton gentleness. I also like the way he sings it: unexcited and simple. Total enjoyment. I don't remember to have heard Daniel any better anywhere. He was good, but not in the same way as here. Of course he is older now. My impression is that he treats this song with a particular care. As if he felt responsible to do its deep meaning justice. With this album, If is perfect for me.

Concert
I liked the song much better than last year, because Daniel sang with more aplomb and controlled his voice better, so while I got a bit distracted last year, it was now balanced, and I could fully dream along. There was visible dedication in his whole posture, so moving. Watching him on this piece ties me to the screen. The choir joins the final "if my wishes come true", which increases the song's intensity, and it moved me to tears.
Hopefully If will be kept in the set list for a longer time. I want to hear it live.

Regarding solo performances, Cum Dederit and If were the outstanding songs of the concert. We all praise Dominik for his unbelievable interpretation of Cum Dederit. And this is justified. But Daniel is exceptional on the introvert If as well. The soloist carries all responsibility, above those gently flowing choir harmonies, which provide the sound carpet, but don't play an active interpreting role like in Cum Dederit, and the orchestra's thoughtful support. Being that exposed, imagine the long notes in such a slow song! Plus the meaningful mood whose interpretation I do buy from Daniel. The song came fully from his heart, by which he sang it into mine.

Sing Lullaby
Music: Trad.
Words: Sabine Baring-Gould

And here we go again, Dominik, with a main solo once more, even though shorter? If someone can tell me where this energy comes from? To sing such a challenge like Cum Dederit and with not much of a break appear again with Sing Lullaby, which as a slow song is demanding in a different way, s. above. And to think that there were two concerts in a short row! He is a perpetuum mobile.
This is a song whose sweetness, so gently conveyed by choir and soloist, disguises the pain of the words, a very nice song, but not easy to take.

Ave Maria
Music: Robert Prizeman
Words: Trad.

One of my Robert Prizeman favourites. It was a sung tribute to Robert and I hope, believe, assume there will never be a Libera concert without compositions of his. The soloist was Lewis, supported by Daniel W. and Luca. Singing in unison is very risky, and they sang it flawlessly, well done!

After several years of shameful ignorance, the next speech taught me the correct pronunciation of Eimear. I had lived my life in the false belief that "Ei" is spoken like "i" in "fine", but no: It's like "ee" in "deer". Thanks for the lesson, Koji! :) I promise to improve. :oops:

Carol of the Bells
Music: Mykola Leontovych
Words: Peter Wilhousky

That's always a favourite and, Libera, not to upset you, but of the 14.790.416 million clicks on YouTube plus 1.819.025 for Armagh a large part is likely to come from me ... 8) :lol: Anyway: Even if there were the same dizzy millions of renditions by other choirs, Libera's is and remains the best!
It's the usual song for a brand-new younger soloist, and today it was Joseph Hill. It is short, but requires courage nonetheless as you stand there all alone. He sang it really fine and after successfully finishing it, a broad smile spread over his face.

Wexford Carol

There is no Christmas carol I love more than Wexford Carol in the Libera version, which featured Eimear with her as usual particularly beautiful flute solos, a real dream!
As for the vocal solo, I was amazed that Morgan sang it. I will never forget his first concert as a mini-boy in Arundel back in 2019, not yet knowing his name at that time! He didn't agree to pause singing at all (s. spoiler with the according review extract from back then) ...
► Show Spoiler
... and it was totally lovely to watch such love for singing in Libera. And now I feel so joyful that he was given a solo so early. His voice has a bit of a childish touch, but not as much to disturb me and I think he will lose that soon.Actually, he entirely charmed me with the feathery sound of his voice that matches so well the song's meditative character, and he did impress me with his flawless intonation! He also looked quite self-assured, so this was a professional performance.
The two Daniels joined him and another excellent unison part happened.

Wexford Carol was the most relaxing song of the evening. It's an easy thing for this piece to please me, as it's just a divine song arrangement.

Poor Little Jesus

With full focus on the voices and only very restrained instrumental support, this isn't an easy song either and it's magic how they sing it fabulously each time. The choir sound was wonderfully rich and Sam had them sing it with sensitive calm. Luca delivered an amazing solo. His voice has matured. It had that bright, silvery sound since his beginnings in Libera, but now it has started to take on character, it slowly gets more profile, is warmer, and more feeling than before comes across.

Sacris Solemnis
Music: Ludwig van Beethoven
Words: St. Thomas Aquinas

Album
A solemn arrangement, just according to its title, while I never warmed to it. I do enjoy the later part though, particularly towards the end when it becomes louder, the singing more committed and more dramatic; there the song can capture me. Freddie delivers fine solos at the beginning and the end, he sings them with diligence and his voice is strong.

Concert
The solo was longer than on the album, good decision! Apart from that, I prefer it to the album version, because Freddie sounded more secure and natural, really lovely. He convinced me more than the choral part in this song. I really enjoy Freddie's voice and more and longer solos are hopefully in the pipeline!

In this song I discovered a little angel, who was flapping his wings. :wink:

Nearer My God
Music: Lowell Mason
Words: Sarah Flower Adams

Album
Probably no song has me as ambiguous as this one. Generally spoken, the tune doesn't appeal to me. Oddly enough though, I can relate to the comfort that it may bring in harder times. But who would wonder: What no other version has managed, has successfully been achieved by Libera! It won't become a favourite of mine, however their rendition is the only one which I enjoy and which makes me listen from the beginning to the end. With a very restrained instrumental accompaniment, it features an amazingly written quintet building up intensity from one soloist up to the full five and at the end withdrawing to the first soloist. On the album we have an enchanting performance by Luca, Victor, Mathias, Dominik, and Benedict B.

Concert
The song gains, when you can watch the five boys sing and see their commitment. That is very captivating! In the concert these were Luca, Freddie, Victor, Daniel W. and Ludwik and they sounded tender as well as strong, depending on the progress of the song. This was another splendid performance.

Sing for our World
Music & orig. words: Elwin Hendrijanto
Translation & addit. words: Robert Prizeman & Dominic Ferris

Album
Hey, that's the second song which will definitely make you rock along, and be it while sitting on your couch! It is just so vigorous! I supposed before that it's more a live than a studio song, so although the recording is already very animating, let's go straight to the ...

Concert
... and get really overwhelmed by all that energy which came across! The song is full of variety and they could show off its fantastic choral arrangement. Great groove, boys!

Three Ships
Music & Words: Trad.

... was the vivid encore and it's just the right one to send you home energised and inspired!

Naturally, it makes a difference if you review a concert experienced in person or a recorded one. The live atmosphere you feel at the venue is missing and you only see what the cameras allow you to see. However, I was more convinced of this year's camera works, because a larger variety of angles was provided and anyway: I am super-grateful that a stream was provided at all!

I enjoyed Steven's conducting a lot! He conducts precisely and calm and his interaction with the boys obviously works completely fine.

The new speeches were highly appreciated and we have several new good moderators on board. My favourite was Laurence, pleasant voice and very well spoken. Moose offspring was the most hilarious idea! And certainly successfully appealing at the audience's protective instincts, because how to resist moose offspring "looking for new homes"?! Smart ... :lol:
Calling the back row boys "the bigs" reminds me of that interview with Sam Coates, where he talked about the older boys he had looked at with awe and that they became role models. Certainly calling them "the bigs" also expresses plenty of confidence and warmth and says something about the good relationship ruling inside of Libera.

Libera demonstrated a singing quality today, which I find extraordinary for pandemic times with the known rehearsing hurdles. They even managed to recruit and keep new mini-boys, so no worries about their future. Regarding this future, I'm most curious about Daniel C. and Morgan. With Daniel C. there may be another Libera star rising in the direct succession of Luca one day, judging from his clear and shining voice and his safe intonation as a high treble. He had diverse jobs that day. And Morgan, well, after his promising start let's see how it goes on.
I'm looking forward to each of the other members as well. It's amazing to watch them grow in Libera from their very start and I love to witness the big pool of great singers of which Libera and we all benefit! As for Daniel W. once more, it's incredible how securely he acts on stage and always has. The situation on stage he would not know how to handle doesn't seem to exist.

A personal relief for me happened during Daniel W.'s and Koji's speech, worth a quote: "It (the album) features some of our trademark Libera ingredients: some ancient chants, lots of harmony parts and [..?..] Daniel singing some very high notes." I cannot express enough how glad I am that with Sam Coates and Steven Geraghty two well-approved, long-experienced and, most of all, home-grown Libera musicians are now in charge of Libera. There had been some nervous thoughts in my mind about Libera's musical development. That remark from Koji gives me the confidence that they will maintain their typical style, especially the mystic elements, by which Libera became what they are for me and what makes them unique.

It was their first concert after the loss of Robert and they expressed their affection, respect, recognition and gratefulness for him in a deeply pleasant, calm way wherever they had the opportunity: speech, songs and a tribute text in the concert programme. All of that was heartwarming and felt exactly right.
"It was Robert's wish that Libera should continue, in all its manifestations." This is a wish we all share, I believe, and this concert was a very good sign.

Thank you, Libera choir with Sam and Steven, Libera staff, orchestra and everyone else for the concerts and the streaming! :D

[Edited 05.01.2022 for correcting a composer.]
Last edited by filiarheni on Wed Jan 05, 2022 7:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
"But in the dark and cold of things there always, always something sings"
Padmachou
Silver Member

Post by Padmachou »

filiarheni wrote: <span title="Sun Jan 02, 2022 11:50 am">2 years ago</span>
Wexford Carol

There is no Christmas carol I love more than Wexford Carol in the Libera version, which featured Eimear with her as usual particularly beautiful flute solos, a real dream!
As for the vocal solo, I was amazed that Morgan sang it. I will never forget his first concert as a mini-boy in Arundel back in 2019, not yet knowing his name at that time! He didn't agree to pause singing at all (s. spoiler with the according review extract from back then) ...
► Show Spoiler
... and it was totally lovely to watch such love for singing in Libera. And now I feel so joyful that he was given a solo so early. His voice has a bit of a childish touch, but not as much to disturb me and I think he will lose that soon.Actually, he entirely charmed me with the feathery sound of his voice that matches so well the song's meditative character, and he did impress me with his flawless intonation! He also looked quite self-assured, so this was a professional performance.
The two Daniels joined him and another excellent unison part happened.

Wexford Carol was the most relaxing song of the evening. It's an easy thing for this piece to please me, as it's just a divine song arrangement.
I have great memories of this :D I was seating next to you (you kindly offered that my grandma and I joined you since we were right behind a pillar :lol: ). This was actually a very great year for newbies, I remember Ludwik, Hal and Cameron were part of the same group of newbies, and I thought "these boys are definitely going to make it to the main group". They all seemed pretty confident and they sang a lot (I am pretty sure Hal would sing even when he did not know the lyrics :lol:). And yes, Morgan would not stop at all, at one point I remember thinking "why isn't he on stage with the main group, if he knows all of the songs ?" :lol: I remember Ludwik eye-rolling :lol: Not sure which boy elbowed Morgan but yes, one did.

Anyway, they all made it to the main group and even through the lock-down. I stand by my original thought : they are wonderful recruits and the future of Libera :D I really liked Morgan's voice, hopefully we will hear more from him soon.

Thanks for your experimental album and concert crossover review :D It was nice to read and now I feel like watching the concert... again :lol:
Luckdragon
Gold Member

Post by Luckdragon »

filiarheni wrote: <span title="Sun Jan 02, 2022 11:50 am">2 years ago</span> This review is an experiment...
Thank you so much for this. Your knowledge of the technical aspects and your interpretations of them were both breathtaking and humbling to me. Well done!
filiarheni wrote: <span title="Sun Jan 02, 2022 11:50 am">2 years ago</span> Freddie sounded more secure and natural, really lovely. He convinced me more than the choral part in this song. I really enjoy Freddie's voice and more and longer solos are hopefully in the pipeline!
Altos don't get many solos (in a choir) but I think we're all with you on that one, as well as in your hopes to hear more from the other talented new soloists.
theriverflowson
Silver Member

Post by theriverflowson »

Luckdragon wrote: <span title="Sun Jan 02, 2022 3:14 pm">2 years ago</span> Your knowledge of the technical aspects and your interpretations of them were both breathtaking and humbling to me. Well done!
Yep, this pretty much sums it up, Luckdragon! :D

Thank you so much, filiarheni, for sharing your thoughts and impressions with us :D There is a whole string of new aspects I need to pay attention to during my next streaming session :!:
Fall on your knees! O hear the angel voices!
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

Amazing review! You have such a way with words. Please don't ever stop writing your reviews. They so brilliantly sum up the feelings and the analysis of the concert. While I know that “Nearer My God to Thee” is not a favorite song for you, I think it would have been better if it had been done acapella rather than with instruments. The recording from 2018 especially when the high note specialist (Luca or Leo) rises above the words “Sun, moon, and stars forgot upward I fly” seems much more pure somehow than the rendition of in concert and on the album. I think this makes a big difference in the effect, at least it does for me because I was completely mesmerized by this song in past concerts.

filiarheni wrote: <span title="Sun Jan 02, 2022 11:50 am">2 years ago</span> One melodic element was modified, seemingly a bagatelle, but it does affect the mood there: It's the change in the Gregorian chant intro from originally being a whole step to a semitone now, which causes a moment of woe. It sits on the word "clementia", which has me wonder if this was a very subtle sign from Robert, a mix of hope and resignation in the face of his illness. It is my very own speculation, but as artists do express themselves in their art, who knows and there must have been a reason for this strange change.
Bagatelle?! Such WORDS! And here I thought I was the one proficient with the English language :lol:.

But yes I did also notice this change. I wonder why? :|
bachmahlerfan

Post by bachmahlerfan »

Surpinto wrote: <span title="Mon Jan 03, 2022 12:30 am">2 years ago</span> While I know that “Nearer My God to Thee” is not a favorite song for you, I think it would have been better if it had been done acapella rather than with instruments. The recording from 2018 especially when the high note specialist (Luca or Leo) rises above the words “Sun, moon, and stars forgot upward I fly” seems much more pure somehow than the rendition of in concert and on the album. I think this makes a big difference in the effect, at least it does for me because I was completely mesmerized by this song in past concerts.
I feel that this piece is best with some harmony in the bass range. That's the one thing I feel is lacking in the 'a cappella' version. The other version covers the bass range with strings. Strings do change the feel of the piece somewhat, but I would rather have those low strings instead of 'a cappella' with no bass at all. There are a couple strings that are mid-range as well in the recent arrangement, but I think they work just fine.
bachmahlerfan

Post by bachmahlerfan »

bachmahlerfan wrote: <span title="Mon Jan 03, 2022 5:28 am">2 years ago</span>
Surpinto wrote: <span title="Mon Jan 03, 2022 12:30 am">2 years ago</span> While I know that “Nearer My God to Thee” is not a favorite song for you, I think it would have been better if it had been done acapella rather than with instruments. The recording from 2018 especially when the high note specialist (Luca or Leo) rises above the words “Sun, moon, and stars forgot upward I fly” seems much more pure somehow than the rendition of in concert and on the album. I think this makes a big difference in the effect, at least it does for me because I was completely mesmerized by this song in past concerts.
I feel that this piece is best with some harmony in the bass range. That's the one thing I feel is lacking in the 'a cappella' version. The other version covers the bass range with strings. Strings do change the feel of the piece somewhat, but I would rather have those low strings instead of 'a cappella' with no bass at all. There are a couple strings that are mid-range as well in the recent arrangement, but I think they work just fine.
To be honest, there are many other Libera songs/arrangements that I enjoy more than either of these arrangements. I find the melody to be rather boring, and the only way to really make it interesting is to compose a more unconventional arrangement like the one featuring the BYU men's choir.