Concert St John’s Smith Square (2021)

Talks and reviews about Libera concerts or public appearances

Moderator: Moderators

theriverflowson
Silver Member

Re: Concert St John’s Smith Square (2021)

Post by theriverflowson »

andmar wrote: <span title="Wed Dec 22, 2021 3:09 pm">2 years ago</span> Enjoy the interview on Scala Radio. :D :D :D

https://u.pcloud.link/publink/show?code ... CVX4hMRFIX
Awesome, thanks for recording! :D
Fall on your knees! O hear the angel voices!
Padmachou
Silver Member

Post by Padmachou »

Thanks Andmar ! It's a nice interview.
Luckdragon
Gold Member

Post by Luckdragon »

andmar wrote: <span title="Wed Dec 22, 2021 3:09 pm">2 years ago</span> Enjoy the interview on Scala Radio. :D :D :D

Young Joseph spoke very well and has good musical genes, too. I hope all the member listers and database keepers caught that his 9th birthday is tomorrow, December 23.
andmar
Silver Member

Post by andmar »

Luckdragon wrote: <span title="Wed Dec 22, 2021 6:55 pm">2 years ago</span> Young Joseph spoke very well and has good musical genes, too. I hope all the member listers and database keepers caught that his 9th birthday is tomorrow, December 23.
I was really impressed having seen him live on stage. He did great both - his solo and his speech.

However, probably the interview wasn't broadcast live and "tomorrow" may not mean the 23rd December. It was said in the interview: "the concert was last Sunday", which would point to a day between 6th and 12th December as the recording date.

Anyway, we know, Joseph was born in December and is turning 9 in 2021 :D.
Luckdragon
Gold Member

Post by Luckdragon »

andmar wrote: <span title="Wed Dec 22, 2021 7:06 pm">2 years ago</span>
Luckdragon wrote: <span title="Wed Dec 22, 2021 6:55 pm">2 years ago</span> Young Joseph spoke very well and has good musical genes, too. I hope all the member listers and database keepers caught that his 9th birthday is tomorrow, December 23.
I was really impressed having seen him live on stage. He did great both - his solo and his speech.

However, probably the interview wasn't broadcast live and "tomorrow" may not mean the 23rd December. It was said in the interview: "the concert was last Sunday", which would point to a day between 6th and 12th December as the recording date.

Well, the Furb has already graven it in stone over on Passion so I guess if it's wrong, Joseph will just have to change his birthday. :lol:
andmar
Silver Member

Post by andmar »

Luckdragon wrote: <span title="Wed Dec 22, 2021 7:46 pm">2 years ago</span>
andmar wrote: <span title="Wed Dec 22, 2021 7:06 pm">2 years ago</span>

Well, the Furb has already graven it in stone over on Passion so I guess if it's wrong, Joseph will just have to change his birthday. :lol:
Definitely!!! :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:
maartendas
Diamond Member

Post by maartendas »

My first rough impressions after watching the concert. First of all: the orchestra sounded fantastic! The concert was a mixed experience. A mix of emotions, of repertoire, of seeing familiar faces (grown up some more) and wholly new ones. Getting used to the current Libera.
As for the speeches: bravo to all, it was fresh, entertaining and from the heart.

Song by song:

Vespera - I could feel the tension at the start. Loved the dramatic build-up. So glad for all the fans who finally got their wish to hear this live.

Once an angel + speech Robert: the emotions….

Gaudete, Ding dong - so lively and cheerful. Jack sang a solo in Gaudete which would explain his microphone.

Cum dederit - wow!! Phenomenal. Dom should do a Youtube video explaining his breath control. I wish Vivaldi is listening from heaven!

If - Daniel is born to sing, as are so many Libera boys. It comes so natural to him. I wonder how the recruitment will continue. It’s hopeful to see so many new miniboys. As for If itself, again so moving, different now that I know it so well

Sing Lullaby - Dom’s voice has already a bit of that golden shine of his deeper voice. That final syllable of ‘weeping’, my God! Went through me like a shiver. Sensational.

Ave Maria - exciting to see a brand new soloist for this one, which is probably my all-time favourite Libera song. I hope Lewis will develop his solo singing skills so we can hear him on his own next time - Ely, perhaps? (fingers crossed)

Carol of the Bells - solid as always. Loved the confident miniboy at the end, his proud smile was well-deserved :)

Wexford Carol - a new soloist adding a whole new colour and tone to this enchanting song. Eimear’s solo sounded gorgeous.

Poor little Jesus - solemn and powerful in a compact way

Sacris solemnis - go Freddie!! So proud of him, he nailed that solo. More please :) The song as a whole was simply overwhelming, best piece for me, after Cum dederit.

Nearer my God - again such confidence from the boys. Tbh I prefer the totally a capella version, but it’s still delivered really well.

Sing & Three ships - dazzling and joyful

I’m left feeling a mix of gratitude and nostalgia. Grateful for the concert and the promises it shows for Libera’s future. Nostalgic for precious memories, arrangements and soloists.
Time passes… may God bless Libera.
You raise me high beyond the sky
Through stormy night lifting me above
Padmachou
Silver Member

Post by Padmachou »

maartendas wrote: <span title="Wed Dec 22, 2021 8:25 pm">2 years ago</span>
Gaudete, Ding dong - so lively and cheerful. Jack sang a solo in Gaudete which would explain his microphone.
No, that is Luke, if you are refering to the solo intro. If there is some other discreet solo I did not notice... ? When I listened to the streaming I realised, this solo is like... VERY good ? :D

I are right to say the orchestra was great, and I particularly like the rendition of choir + orchestra in the streaming, it is just perfect.
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

maartendas wrote: <span title="Wed Dec 22, 2021 8:25 pm">2 years ago</span> My first rough impressions after watching the concert.
Thanks for the review! I think we all needed this concert in a way between the stress of new variants, travel restrictions, and all the rest, this was a bright spot for so many of us.

Thanks! Love how Daniel says he's a stickler for Libera tradition including one I don't think we've heard before about them having four teams (Attwood, Tallis, Britten, and Purcell) named after composers competing against one another in sports. We knew they played silent sports before a concert to save their voices, and got the attention of other players through clapping and so forth; but I'm not sure I recollect this particular detail. Very cool tradition for sure :D I'd be curious how those particular composers were chosen. My guess being that in chronological order they represent the evolution of liturgical music with Tallis being representative of Renaissance music with its polyphony, Purcell the Baroque, Attwood the Classical (he was a pupil of Mozart :shock:), and Britten the modern.

Yet even more interesting than this fun bit of trivia is that Joseph's family is musical with his mother being a singer in "The Sixteen", a well-known ensemble! And his grandfather a conductor. Given this background, the family is knowledgeable enough, and "inside" with respect to music that they could have placed him more or less anywhere for his musical education. That they chose Libera speaks volumes to the musical education on offer.
Luckdragon
Gold Member

Post by Luckdragon »

Edit: Updated with fixed version.

Found this in one of the FB groups...
Libera Names.jpg
Libera Names.jpg (149.98 KiB) Viewed 4619 times
Libera Names.jpg
Libera Names.jpg (149.98 KiB) Viewed 4619 times
Last edited by Luckdragon on Thu Dec 23, 2021 6:49 pm, edited 3 times in total.
theriverflowson
Silver Member

Post by theriverflowson »

Thanks! I personally would swap the name tags of Alexandre and Joseph C, but not sure.
Fall on your knees! O hear the angel voices!
maartendas
Diamond Member

Post by maartendas »

Padmachou wrote: <span title="Wed Dec 22, 2021 9:05 pm">2 years ago</span>
maartendas wrote: <span title="Wed Dec 22, 2021 8:25 pm">2 years ago</span>
No, that is Luke, if you are refering to the solo intro.
See, I already lose track of the names. I blame the lack of homework (meaning concerts)… 😌
You raise me high beyond the sky
Through stormy night lifting me above
dani
Diamond Member

Post by dani »

theriverflowson wrote: <span title="Thu Dec 23, 2021 7:08 am">2 years ago</span> Thanks! I personally would swap the name tags of Alexandre and Joseph C, but not sure.

You are correct :D
seraphita
Silver Member

Post by seraphita »

[]_________[]_________[]

Forever //*\\ Anima Christi
Celt

Post by Celt »

Ahh lovely, slightly disappointed that the one good audience shot is from concert 2 when I was sitting the other side. But always happy to spot the back of my own head. #narcissus

Still no shots of (probably) Dominik's brother other than my one of him gurning, lol. :P

Also, when you see SJSS2021-394 in the final file name and wonder what awesome photos you are missing... :|