Concert St John’s Smith Square (2021)

Talks and reviews about Libera concerts or public appearances

Moderator: Moderators

Luckdragon
Gold Member

Re: Concert St John’s Smith Square (2021)

Post by Luckdragon »

Padmachou wrote: <span title="Fri Dec 17, 2021 6:38 pm">2 years ago</span> One mystery left if Surpinto or someone else feels like being a detective : why was Jack Spicha wearing a microphone ? Maybe he did a discreet solo too !
I think Sam will put microphones on voices with parts that he wants control over. I don't think we can necessarily say that microphone = solo or speaker.
bachmahlerfan

Post by bachmahlerfan »

Well, I certainly enjoyed the concert overall.
"Once an Angel" was very well performed, and Victor's voice is even more mature than on the album. His low notes late in the song were noticeably stronger than on the album.

"Vespera" was quite solid, although it's hard to fully capture the "ambience" of the studio recording. Luca's voice keeps maturing, and I noticed that he really pronounced the consonants clearly.

"Cum Dederit" was very good, and hearing the orchestra live made it a little more exciting for me than on the album version. Early on, I felt that Dominik's crescendos were less dramatic than on the album version, but later in the piece the crescendo was quite effective. He still did a great job though.

"Ave Maria" was mostly good, but it seems that they did away with the big crescendo at the end of the middle section (section featuring the pizzicato strings). I'm not sure why they did that, but I suppose it was intentional.

"Nearer my God" was really cohesive and well blended. Luca was really solid, but the whole ensemble did a great job.

I don't have much else to say, but it's nice to hear the new soloists, and know that they have their own distinctive voices. I'm guessing that Dominik's brother is the one who was on the left behind the two other mini-boys. Can anyone confirm that? I feel that Daniel White's voice will change in the next year, but I think he'll be fine for the next recording, assuming they start it this Spring. I wonder if they can squeeze in one more solo for Victor that exploits his strong low notes. If they do, it will have to be very soon if they haven't already done so.
Luckdragon
Gold Member

Post by Luckdragon »

I've already watched several times and spent much of the last one watching Steven. He truly is amazing.

His expressions are always full of warmth and encouragement as he makes sure everyone knows exactly where they are and what to do, even mouthing the words right along with them. They clearly love and trust him, following his every cue to perfection.

I'm so glad that he's still conducting. He really brings out the best in those boys.
seraphita
Silver Member

Post by seraphita »

[]_________[]_________[]

Forever //*\\ Anima Christi
Mercurial909
Silver Member

Post by Mercurial909 »

seraphita wrote: <span title="Sat Dec 18, 2021 10:42 pm">2 years ago</span>
Look at that back line now?
Laurence Taylor, Oliver Watt-Rodriguez, Neo Parson, Joe Cranitch, Tadhg Fitzgerald, Johnny Gardiner, Nathaniel Bates-Fisher and Alex Menuet.

Can’t see Ben Bywater or Matty Montoro even though they were apparently listed as performing at this concert.

Edited to preserve privacy. JB

NB: I’m pretty certain they’ve blended this year’s concert with some of last year’s one because you can also see Libera alums Isaac London and Alessandro M-B there too but they left in the summer, and Alessandro is currently a student at the prestigious Oxford University.

You’ll see Alessandro performing a solo verse of In the Bleak Midwinter (from 2.06), which I’m sure is the very same footage from the 2020 concert (and OMGoodness does he have THE most beautiful tenor voice. Wow!).

Luckdragon
Gold Member

Post by Luckdragon »

Mercurial909 wrote: <span title="Sun Dec 19, 2021 2:06 am">2 years ago</span> NB: I’m pretty certain they’ve blended this year’s concert with some of last year’s one...
I don't think we're supposed to connect names with schools so you may want to edit your post a bit.

However, it is sadly true that this year's CVMS "concert" is just an abbreviated version of last year's. I saw no new content at all.

This is the first time I've been disappointed in something CVMS has done.
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

bachmahlerfan wrote: <span title="Sat Dec 18, 2021 6:29 am">2 years ago</span> I'm guessing that Dominik's brother is the one who was on the left behind the two other mini-boys. Can anyone confirm that?
Thanks for your review! :D I suspect this one (photo from Libera Passion) is Dominik's brother as the face is similar.
bachmahlerfan

Post by bachmahlerfan »

Surpinto wrote: <span title="Sun Dec 19, 2021 2:31 pm">2 years ago</span>
bachmahlerfan wrote: <span title="Sat Dec 18, 2021 6:29 am">2 years ago</span> I'm guessing that Dominik's brother is the one who was on the left behind the two other mini-boys. Can anyone confirm that?
Thanks for your review! :D I suspect this one (photo from Libera Passion) is Dominik's brother as the face is similar.
I was thinking more of the last singer listed in the mini-boys section. His hair color is similar, although the photo doesn't show him with a "resting" face, so it's hard to determine resemblance.
Luckdragon
Gold Member

Post by Luckdragon »

Does anyone know if Lewis was able to do his Ave Maria solo in the second concert, or did Daniel and Luca back him up there as well?
Celt

Post by Celt »

Celt wrote: <span title="Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:42 pm">2 years ago</span>
but my own opinion is, they will use more concert 1 footage in the streamed version than concert 2...
So, my assessment of the stream is it is almost entirely from concert 1? Certainly the audio will be and I would suspect the majority of footage too. There is one particular moment that makes me think concert 2 footage is in use, but other than that I think it's pretty much all concert 1. Thoughts?
tom413
Gold Member

Post by tom413 »

I totally agree. There doesn't seem to be much 8pm footage.
One way to test that theory is that Ethan was only able to appear in the second show.
Padmachou
Silver Member

Post by Padmachou »

Celt wrote: <span title="Mon Dec 20, 2021 9:12 pm">2 years ago</span>
Celt wrote: <span title="Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:42 pm">2 years ago</span>
but my own opinion is, they will use more concert 1 footage in the streamed version than concert 2...
So, my assessment of the stream is it is almost entirely from concert 1? Certainly the audio will be and I would suspect the majority of footage too. There is one particular moment that makes me think concert 2 footage is in use, but other than that I think it's pretty much all concert 1. Thoughts?
When is that one particular moment that makes you think it's concert 2 ?
I was not able to spot Ethan even once, poor boy :( Maybe they had technical issues with the footage of the second concert and that's why we have been waiting a bit more than we expected ? Or maybe they decided it would be too complicated, to have boys disappearing and re-appearing. About disappearances, a mini-boy on the left of the stage seems to have vanished during "Nearer my God to Thee", and I am firmly positive he was never missing during the second concert.

Luckdragon wrote: <span title="Mon Dec 20, 2021 5:16 am">2 years ago</span> Does anyone know if Lewis was able to do his Ave Maria solo in the second concert, or did Daniel and Luca back him up there as well?
They backed him up as well. That being said, I would not say he was not able to do his solo, he did sing the solo in both concerts, but with back up, and if you know the voices well enough to tell them apart, you can hear he is doing a very good job. I watched carefully last night when I saw the streamed concert for the first time, and he does not seem to fight with breathing which is not easy on this song.

Mercurial909 wrote: <span title="Sun Dec 19, 2021 2:06 am">2 years ago</span>
Look at that back line now?
Laurence Taylor, Oliver Watt-Rodriguez, Neo Parson, Joe Cranitch, Tadhg Fitzgerald, Johnny Gardiner, Nathaniel Bates-Fisher and Alex Menuet.

About that back line, I am very impressed that some of the "bigs" seem to be singing quite high parts sometimes. During the speech from the beginning, it is said that "while they can still sing high notes" they are doing the lower parts, and I guess it is true, some of them could still sing middle parts.

bachmahlerfan wrote: <span title="Sat Dec 18, 2021 6:29 am">2 years ago</span> Well, I certainly enjoyed the concert overall.
"Once an Angel" was very well performed, and Victor's voice is even more mature than on the album. His low notes late in the song were noticeably stronger than on the album.
His voice is amazing right now. I particularly like the part Victor is singing in "Nearer my God to Thee". I hope he knows his voice is so special and I hope a lot of people know and maybe they will record something :D

Luckdragon wrote: <span title="Sat Dec 18, 2021 6:02 am">2 years ago</span>
Padmachou wrote: <span title="Fri Dec 17, 2021 6:38 pm">2 years ago</span> One mystery left if Surpinto or someone else feels like being a detective : why was Jack Spicha wearing a microphone ? Maybe he did a discreet solo too !
I think Sam will put microphones on voices with parts that he wants control over. I don't think we can necessarily say that microphone = solo or speaker.
Sure, but I did not expect that Cameron had a solo, so who know what we could find out ? :lol:

I wanted to add that, as I expected, the balance of the sound is very different in the streaming. It is known that the boys doing the very high notes have their microphones pushing the sound a bit, so that they can be heard properly (In the DVD of Washington's concert, when the boys all say "it's a wonderful world" in other languages, you can hear Thomas DL speaking and there is some sort of echo, which makes him laugh - unless he is laughing at something else). So as I was seating front row during both concerts, I heard the voices not from the mixed sound of microphones but directly from the boys. You can hear Daniel C in Vespera, and Luca and Daniel C on Sacris Solemnis, much better in the streaming, than I did the 5th of December. I am satisfied with this balance :D Though I regret nothing, front row was great 8)
Luckdragon
Gold Member

Post by Luckdragon »

Padmachou wrote: <span title="Tue Dec 21, 2021 9:13 pm">2 years ago</span>
Luckdragon wrote: <span title="Sat Dec 18, 2021 6:02 am">2 years ago</span>
Sure, but I did not expect that Cameron had a solo, so who know what we could find out ? :lol:
My guess, judging from the size and shape of Jack's body and the fact that he's a 4-year veteran, is that he's probably the lead alto and therefore has an important part in the harmony.
GlennJalmas

Post by GlennJalmas »

A recent Tweet from Libera Official🙂.

andmar
Silver Member

Post by andmar »

Enjoy the interview on Scala Radio. :D :D :D

https://u.pcloud.link/publink/show?code ... CVX4hMRFIX