Concert St John’s Smith Square (2021)

Talks and reviews about Libera concerts or public appearances

Moderator: Moderators

dani
Diamond Member

Re: Concert St John’s Smith Square (2021)

Post by dani »

I forgot to mention Vespera :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Me and Yorkie have been begging for years to have it on a set list and finally we got our wish. Steven of course is my all time favorite Libera soloist so his version is my holy grail. Luca and Daniel did a wonderful job on it and it was so special to hear it performed live after wanting it for so many years. I hope to hear it again next year and more many more years to come :mrgreen:
AL5678

Post by AL5678 »

I'm glad people was able togo and see the show...All their tour show was great..I saw them or try to go and see LIbera awesome shows everytime they came to the USA,,
Anybody know when the streaming of the show ST John's show..
SO far no word of when...Most likely it would be on Libera You Tube ...
Thanks for the update photo.I see some new faces..
Dom's young brother is with Libera now,,,,
As far as any screw up this is what just happens after all they are just kids,it just part of life. I read someone got sick,I hope the kid is doing ok..
john45
Gold Member

Post by john45 »

AL5678 wrote: <span title="Tue Dec 07, 2021 3:53 pm">2 years ago</span>
Anybody know when the streaming of the show ST John's show..
From an official source "it should be ready midweek on the SJSS site".
Padmachou
Silver Member

Post by Padmachou »

maartendas wrote: <span title="Tue Dec 07, 2021 12:11 am">2 years ago</span> A question for those who attended: in what way did you sense the historic moment of this being the first Libera concert since Robert passed?
I understand that he was commemorated in a speech and that there was a page dedicated to him in the programme. Were there any other ways in which you felt a collective notion of starting a new chapter for Libera?
It was partly this sense of historic momentum that made me wish I was there, so I’d be interested to hear some experiences in that regard.
(In the way that I cried a bit), and that the speech before "Once an Angel" was very touching. And from the tribute in the program. But appart from that, not so much, like Dani said. Libera still is Libera and yes it is a bit strange to think that starting with this new batch of newbies at least (if not before), the boys will never have know Robert Prizeman. But Libera is coping just like Robert would have liked it to, I believe. The way they paid a tribute, powerful but no drama, is just how he used to do it. The kids are performing a concert with a lot of fun and they are the stars of the concert. He would never take the spotlight, and beyond death he did not. I think he would be satisfied with this way of handling things.
*** Now better late than never, sorry it took me a bit longer than usual but there was a concert I attended on Monday and I have been back to France only around midnight last night, very tired. Also I had to work today. :D

I will make somewhat a complete review, and I probably will be telling things that have already been told but I know our friend The Furby from the French forum keeps these reviews for archives purpose and so everything will be there if somebody needs it. :lol:

As you are aware there were 2 concerts on Sunday at Saint John Smith Square and both have been filmed and recorded. They should be edited in one video that will soon be available on streaming, so you can buy it and watch it several time just like past year.

These concerts were very moving for various reasons, one being that due to the pandemic Libera has not been able to perform for a year, and actually they have perform very little for two years. Also last year they could not even move on stage, they had very little time to rehearse… The second reason this was a special concert is that it was the first one since Robert Prizeman’s death. So Sam Coates is now the director but actually he was handling the sound like he used to before, and Steven Geraghty conducted the concert. It is good to know that it is former Libera boys directing the choir, because we can trust them to care about it and they surely know how unique it is. :D

About the boys on stage I won’t make the list but you can refer to the pictures from the program posted before, or The Furby’s work on Libera Passion, which is already updated (thank you ! :D ). Ben Bywater, Mathias Montoro and Nathan Slater were on the program but not on stage, for some reason. Ethan Barron only made the second concert, probably he could not do the first one. Busy life !

About mini-boys, well, some of the fans have difficulties keeping up and that is understandable :lol: because that’s the third batch in a row that we don’t get to know really well. All the boys from the first batch are now on stage and some of them already soloists, which should help you to get familiar with their faces and names ! :lol: Stricto sensu, the third batch, only the boys that were mini-boys during this concert, leaving the stage for some songs, were at the number of 7, one of them being Samuel Whaley who already was a mini-boy previously. One of the new mini-boys is Leon Clarke, Dominik’s brother.

The two concerts had 15 songs, 14 listed on the program and one encore. The streaming video should be a mix of both. Some of us underlined that the first concert was all in all more dynamic, for the boys got tired for the second concert (that is very natural for kids). I personally liked « If » better the second time, but that might have been due to me seating on the other side and the sound probably is different from one spot to an other. I am very curious to hear the sound in the streaming. This was my first time seating front row (thank you so much Andy :D and Tom for giving me a front row seat for the second concert :D and thank you Filiarheni for selling me a ticket in the first place ! :D ). So, from the front row, first concert on the right side, second one on the left side, I could hear the voices live, not from the microphones. I could even hear the newbies perfectly (great newbies) !
This year the boys could move on stage and so you will get to see that on the video, I won’t be describing the staging.
From now on THIS IS A PROPER REVIEW so if you don’t want to read any spoilers you keep that part hidden.
► Show Spoiler
All in all, you could tell the boys were very very very very very very (… :D ) happy to sing a concert, and they had a lot of fun. Lot of smiles among them, towards other boys on stage, towards Steven, towards their families, towards the audience, and a lot of smiles to themselves because their were just happy. :D

Also they were communicating a lot on stage, especially Daniel W who has been acting as “big brother” (not in a threatening “BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU” way :lol: ), checking on the boys' movements, the speeches, the newbies… He did not even look tired during the second concert, and like it has been said, he took over some boy’s speech last minute for this boy could not do it then. Steven handed him the script, but he would not take it, and indeed he did not need it. 8) He sure has an outstanding memory and feels at ease on stage.

This concert might have been the last as trebles for Victor, Daniel and Dominik, the three of them getting older and taller. Daniel and Dominik’s voices show no sign of any change so far when they sing, but it has to be expected and it should not be long now. It was an honour to see and hear them, and also the other boys. It looked like they were all feeling relief to get to perform at last.

Now I can’t wait to hear the concert again. :D It was vivid emotion to see Libera again, and to meet fellow worldwide fans after 2 years, despite the circumstances and difficulties (testing, isolating, being very cautious), and stress. I do not regret my trip though it sure felt different from other concerts and I hope the next ones will be a bit easier to plan and less tiresome.
But I am sure Libera will be just as good as ever :D
Celt

Post by Celt »

What a fantastic and comprehensive review Padmachou! Thank you!

Padmachou wrote: <span title="Tue Dec 07, 2021 10:29 pm">2 years ago</span>
Then the older boys were introduced as « the bigs ». It was underlined that some of them were still trebles and soloists just last year (Neo, Laurence T, Tadhg, and Oliver WR were all soloists and now are back row with Nathaniel, Joe, Alexandre and Johnny).

This concert might have been the last as trebles for Victor, Daniel and Dominik, the three of them getting older and taller. Daniel and Dominik’s voices show no sign of any change so far when they sing, but it has to be expected and it should not be long now. It was an honour to see and hear them, and also the other boys. It looked like they were all feeling relief to get to perform at last.
It will be interesting to see what happens to Victor and Daniel's voices over the next year. Both sang alto parts recently, which may be indicative of a maturing voice. But great to see younger singers already doing solo parts ready to take over. Tadgh being in the back row was not at all a surprise given that he was on the edge of change in the concert last year and he has developed into an excellent tenor.
Luckdragon
Gold Member

Post by Luckdragon »

Duplicate removed.
Last edited by Luckdragon on Wed Dec 08, 2021 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Luckdragon
Gold Member

Post by Luckdragon »

Luckdragon wrote: <span title="Wed Dec 08, 2021 2:40 am">2 years ago</span>
Celt wrote: <span title="Tue Dec 07, 2021 11:31 pm">2 years ago</span> What a fantastic and comprehensive review Padmachou! Thank you!

Then the older boys were introduced as « the bigs ». It was underlined that some of them were still trebles and soloists just last year (Neo, Laurence T, Tadhg, and Oliver WR were all soloists and now are back row with Nathaniel, Joe, Alexandre and Johnny).

It will be interesting to see what happens to Victor and Daniel's voices over the next year. Both sang alto parts recently, which may be indicative of a maturing voice. But great to see younger singers already doing solo parts ready to take over. Tadgh being in the back row was not at all a surprise given that he was on the edge of change in the concert last year and he has developed into an excellent tenor.
It's a race against time for Ely. With 5.5 months to go, their approximate ages are:
Dominik 14
Daniel 13
Victor 13

Koji's (12) voice seems to already have broken and it's uncertain how that exotic Irish-Bangladeshi blood is going to work out for Freddie (12). These new 8- to 10-year-old soloists couldn't be emerging at a better time - and already nicely polished by some reports.
Luckdragon
Gold Member

Post by Luckdragon »

Padmachou wrote: <span title="Tue Dec 07, 2021 10:29 pm">2 years ago</span> Also they were communicating a lot on stage, especially Daniel W who has been acting as “big brother” (not in a threatening “BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU” way :lol: ), checking on the boys' movements, the speeches, the newbies… He did not even look tired during the second concert, and like it has been said, he took over some boy’s speech last minute for this boy could not do it then. Steven handed him the script, but he would not take it, and indeed he did not need it. 8) He sure has an outstanding memory and feels at ease on stage.
The Lord works in mysterious ways.

Daniel had witnessed the same exact thing in another choir just a few weeks before and knew that it wasn't anything serious. He was therefore uniquely prepared to maintain his focus and carry on. Because of that, the other boys did as well.

As for his memory... well all of the Libera boys deserve great respect for that. They spend many hours at home memorizing their songs, many of which are in a language they don't know or have complex harmonies that have to be sung perfectly. As a result, there are no songbooks at concerts. The boys show up perfectly prepared to sing their beautiful music with heads held high. Daniel has now experienced that memory training for half a decade. It's no wonder he had little trouble taking over another boy's speech, but I'm sure it was a marvelous thing to witness.
theriverflowson
Silver Member

Post by theriverflowson »

Printed programmes of the concerts are now available in Libera's shop as well as 2022 calendars :D
Fall on your knees! O hear the angel voices!
Yan U

Post by Yan U »

Are the tickets for the concert in Ely Cathedral (21 May) available to book now? Can’t wait to hear and see them next time
maartendas
Diamond Member

Post by maartendas »

Merci Padmachou, for mentioning so clearly the smiles from the boys, which showed how happy they were to sing in a live concert again. That alone makes me very happy too :)
You raise me high beyond the sky
Through stormy night lifting me above
paul
Site Admin

Post by paul »

dani wrote: <span title="Tue Dec 07, 2021 3:49 pm">2 years ago</span> I forgot to mention Vespera :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Me and Yorkie have been begging for years to have it on a set list and finally we got our wish. Steven of course is my all time favorite Libera soloist so his version is my holy grail. Luca and Daniel did a wonderful job on it and it was so special to hear it performed live after wanting it for so many years. I hope to hear it again next year and more many more years to come :mrgreen:
I couldn't agree more, from the first time I heard it, I always wanted to hear it live, I also got my wish. I would like to see Mysterium back on the set list as well. I think Luca would nail the treble part on that.
Joe Snelling Quote: "It's odd cuz my voice is low but I do quite a lot of the top notes"

"Music and rhythm find their way into the secret places of the soul"

- Plato
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

► Show Spoiler
I couldn't wait to read a review of this concert, despite the impending video. Your review is so very detailed and precise. It gave me good visualization of the show despite not having seen it yet. Thank you so much for that! :D
Yan U wrote: <span title="Wed Dec 08, 2021 3:22 pm">2 years ago</span> Are the tickets for the concert in Ely Cathedral (21 May) available to book now? Can’t wait to hear and see them next time
Not as of yet. Once ticket sales are announced, someone (possibly you? :wink:) should start a new thread to that effect. I will certainly do it if no one beats me to the punch. :D Welcome to Libera Dreams by the way.
bamboo
Silver Member

Post by bamboo »

Any idea if any e-programme is available instead of a hardcopy one like last year? Shipping costs are ex!!