Help Archie (14yo treble) record an album

Talk about other music related artists you like

Moderator: Moderators

j8000

Help Archie (14yo treble) record an album

Post by j8000 »

Archie, a former chorister at Magdalen College Oxford, is fundraising to record an album. It's not the usual treble CD repertoire but early classical and baroque works he's chosen himself.

The project only has a few days left so anything you could do to share this on e.g. Facebook etc would probably help a lot.

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/archie-s-baroque-progress/

https://www.facebook.com/archiemoncrieffwhite
Last edited by j8000 on Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LordG

Re: Help Archie (14yo treble) record an album

Post by LordG »

This fellow looks very promising :D

A Scout's Duty is to be Useful and to Help Others. :wink: :D :lol:

Ok, I get a little bit in return :)
All Albums (CD+Vinyl) in my possession :oops: :D
filiarheni
Gold Member

Post by filiarheni »

He was one of the Young Chorister of the Year 2020 finalists. He didn't win, but for me he was the winner with his pure, slender, well-balanced voice, and, despite showing some nerves, held the long notes well (and there are lots of them here to master) and sang absolutely fabulous legato bows! Most important: He interpreted the song with true sensitivity and the guidance of his voice in timbre and dynamics along the song were coherent. Very touching, still every time I listen. I think he deserves to get a studio recording.

This is the only chance for the album, as voice change can happen any time now. 40 % of the goal have been achieved and only 11 days are left. Redundant funds will be donated to charities of a selection listed on the website.

The Indiegogo site is strange somehow. The link to their page doesn't work from here. [Edit: It does work from a mobile device.] You can go there also via this tweet by Magdalen College Choir as of 29th March.

Some excerpts:

"Archie is 14 and has been passionate about singing all his life.  He was a chorister at Magdalen College Oxford, under the baton of Mark Williams, reluctantly 'retiring' at the age of 12.  For the last eighteen months he has been studying with Maria Thompson, who prepared him successfully for his singing Diploma and for his entry into the BBC Young Chorister of the Year competition.  Still a treble, he has continued to sing both as a soloist and collaboratively.  He has a particular love of the Baroque to early Classical periods and wishes to record, professionally, some of the music that means so much to him, before his voice changes, accompanied by authentic period instruments.  The music will represent a journey, or progress, through geography and time, across Baroque Europe.Making this album means a great deal to Archie and whilst it may well be his 'swansong' as a treble, he hopes it might set his feet on the path to making more music with the voice that rises from its ashes. 
[...]
Examples of Proposed Repertoire:
Quia Respexit from Magnificat in D (Bach)Domine Deus from Gloria (Vivaldi)Cujus animam gementum (Pergolesi)As when the dove from Acis and Galatea (Handel)O dio se fosse vero (Bononcini)Vidit suum dulcem natus from Stabat Mater (Pergolesi)Cujus animam gementum (Pergolesi)Dido's lament from Dido and Aeneas (Purcell)But who may Abide, from Messiah, (Handel)Bist du bei mir (Stötzel).Bois Épais, from Amadis (Lully)Music for a While (Purcell)
[...]
The current restrictions have meant that he has been unable to perform in public, during what may have been the most productive year for his treble voice and he would like to distil this untapped energy into something meaningful and lasting.  The musicians who will be accompanying him have also been restricted in their opportunities to perform and the chance to collaborate is, thus, all the more exciting. 
[...]
Some of the risk lies in the very nature of a boy's treble voice on the cusp of change. Archie knows that he must look after his voice and is prepared to make many sacrifices to keep it in good condition, including avoiding tempting foods which may not support it.  The risk of voice change underpins the imperative to proceed as early as possible ad the recording is, thus, planned for this April.

The risk of not completing the recording is dependent upon funding, in which case donations will be refunded." 

This was his competition piece:

"But in the dark and cold of things there always, always something sings"
j8000

Post by j8000 »

Archie will perform in two online concerts tomorrow, as part of a vocal consort along with three other trebles. Tickets for streaming available here: https://www.tickettailor.com/events/oxfordmusichub

Apparently he's six foot tall now so I shouldn't think there will be many more concerts for him as a treble.

His CD is due out early next year.
Celt

Post by Celt »

Having donated to the crowdfund, I decided to go in person. Four excellent trebles who together make up The Miserichords! Lovely concert. 😊 Left to right: Archie, Freddie, Ivan and Max.
► Show Spoiler
Padmachou
Silver Member

Post by Padmachou »

Oh, Archie is... TALL :o And he still is a treble ? He is like twice the size of the others :lol:

What did they sing ?
Celt

Post by Celt »

A variety of early music, some solos, some duets, some instrumental only, a really nice mix. Even a very brief bit of violin playing by Archie! I heard several people comment to him about his height, I reckon he is growing so fast it is keeping his vocal chords stretched so he can still sing treble. :lol: :lol:
ArchieProgramme.jpg
Luckdragon
Gold Member

Post by Luckdragon »

335825067_593487799325048_8925918975640715422_n.jpg
335825067_593487799325048_8925918975640715422_n.jpg (162.09 KiB) Viewed 3667 times
335825067_593487799325048_8925918975640715422_n.jpg
335825067_593487799325048_8925918975640715422_n.jpg (162.09 KiB) Viewed 3667 times

Spring Recital
MONKS' BARN, OXFORD, OX2 0NA
Sat 1st April 2023 6:00PM

A short recital to reflect the transition from the dark days of winter to the promise of spring, including pieces from the Baroque to the Romantic. Archie Moncrieff White (voice and piano) , Max James Thomas (voice), Robert Carver-Escritt (piano), Ilya Chetverikov (piano) present works from Bach, Pergolesi and Vivaldi to Schubert and Mendelssohn. Presented by Maria Thompson.

The ticket price includes wine and cheese by the fabulous Hamblin bakery. Concessions for school pupils.

Max and Archie are both former choristers of the Choir of Magdalen College and study singing with Maria Thompson who presents them today. Max has undertaken a number of public performance engagements in recent months and will be performing in Japan this summer. Archie performs regularly as a soloist and has recorded three albums, two of duets with Myron Buist and one solo disc. Robert Carver-Escritt is Organ Scholar at St Margaret's Church, Summertown, Oxford and for the Cathedral Singers at Christchurch Cathedral. Ilya Chetverikov is highly regarded performer, accompanist and teacher.

This event is supporting the Childhood Cancer Research Trust and will take place in the trust's own venue Monks' Barn, North Hinksey Village, Oxford.

Event Details
Doors Open at 5:30PM
From 6:00PM to 7:00PM

Tickets: https://www.ticketsource.co.uk/whats-on ... /t-dvjrdrd
Celtic

Post by Celtic »

Great concert last night with Archie and Max. Minor panic on the journey there as I:

A. Couldn't locate the venue on Google maps and two locals I asked had no idea where it was!
B. Discovered on the walk there, that the entire area between Oxford centre and the concert venue was under water!!!
► Show Spoiler
Also, so many tall people at the concert, I felt like one of The Borrowers amongst them. :? I presume they were all Archie's family. :lol: Although, surprisingly, in a room full of giants you could still always spot Archie, who was taller than all of them! :P

Set list:
► Show Spoiler
Max's first solo was dropped and replaced by a piano solo and there was an additional piano solo inserted before the final two pieces. There was also a special encore by Archie where he played piano and sung at the same time which was probably the highlight of the evening for me. Nice chat with Archie after the concert over some cheese and wine and then a canoe back to the bus station... :P
► Show Spoiler
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

An adventure just to attend the concert! Glad you enjoyed it and made it there safely lol.
Celtic

Post by Celtic »

Max posted the opening piece of the recital on his YT. :)