Which Libera songs comfort you in the most complete way?

Talk about Libera here in.

Moderator: Moderators

filiarheni
Gold Member

Which Libera songs comfort you in the most complete way?

Post by filiarheni »

For a longer time, I've kept noticing that Touch the Sky has an enormously calming and comforting effect on me. Yeah, most Libera songs do so their individual ways, but this one just fills me with positive feeling through and through. I love the pictures arising before my inner eye and the feelings the song gives me.

What are your secure go-to Libera songs when you're in particular need or just wish for 100 % wellness, forgetting about all that's bothering in the world?

There are some for me with a similar potential. First and foremost the above Touch the Sky, Secret and Vespera
Others follow: Adoramus, Ave Verum, Hymn to Mary, Robert's In Paradisum, Libera, Sempiterna (Remix), Twilight is Stealing.

How about you?
"But in the dark and cold of things there always, always something sings"
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Re: Which Libera songs comfort you in the most complete way?

Post by Surpinto »

"Lament" because it is so peaceful and has this sort of forlorn overtone which I find so soothing. It has a chanted, atmospheric quality that Libera has never equaled on any song I have heard.

My other go-to's when in need of something soothing are "Lead Kindly Light", "Wexford Carol", and "Salve Regina".
Padmachou
Silver Member

Post by Padmachou »

Oooh I have a common one with you filiarheni :D Touch the Sky is definitely a comforting one for me. Also Sempiterna, Silencium, Attendite, Poor Little Jesus, In Paradisum and Angele Dei. The Deep Peace from the covid online concert also has this effect on me.
I have a tendency to panic attacks, especially in very crowded and noisy places, so I have a comforting playlist on my phone, called "Ultra soft songs", and many Libera songs are in this playlist of course. I remember a short documentary about Libera where someone talked about how their music helped him with anxiety. Might be from Songs of praise...
maartendas
Diamond Member

Post by maartendas »

Nice question!

The first song that comes to mind is Wexford Carol. That one always makes me feel like lying down in a sunlit meadow, completely at peace. Especially when Tadhg sings the solo.

And a song that usually fills me with warm rich feelings is the song they did for the Japanese TV series in 2018, Headlight Taillight. Somehow it always finds a way to my heart and wraps me up in fuzziness ☺️

Lastly, Song of Life is hugely comforting. So familiar, uplifting and nostalgic (remembering my trip to Epsom and meeting other fans for my second ever Libera concert :)). And Ralph’s voice, so delicate and smooth... <3
You raise me high beyond the sky
Through stormy night lifting me above
Wolf

Post by Wolf »

Very interesting question indeed, and a great excuse to go through my Libera Library with a fresh view!

The first that came to mind is TDL's Ave Maria; without a doubt my favorite song, everything's right in the world when listening to it.

Vespera is another that stands out for me.
TullyBascombe
Platinum Member

Post by TullyBascombe »

My first thought was Venite Adoremus, though the effect of that song might be better described as transcendent. Faithful Heart, Deep Peace and Sempiterna are also comforting.
theriverflowson
Silver Member

Post by theriverflowson »

Very interesting question und interesting answers so far!

There is an endless number of songs comforting me, but one songs which pops up in my mind first: Prayer (When at night I go to sleep)
Last edited by theriverflowson on Tue Mar 09, 2021 6:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fall on your knees! O hear the angel voices!
theriverflowson
Silver Member

Post by theriverflowson »

Padmachou wrote: <span title="Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:36 pm">3 years ago</span> I remember a short documentary about Libera where someone talked about how their music helped him with anxiety. Might be from Songs of praise...
Not sure if you meant it, but in the Sing of Praise Special a blind man listened to Libera in the Underground on his way to work to get some comfort.
Fall on your knees! O hear the angel voices!
john45
Gold Member

Post by john45 »

The list is too long. In the order they came to mind: The Moon Represents My Heart, Ave Maria (TDL), How Great Thou Art, If, Going Home, Attendite, Sing Lullaby,The Prayer, Still,Still,Still, Nunc Dimitis (Ben Crawley or Daren Geraghty). Stopping there, but could go on...
justin

Post by justin »

'Do not stand at my grave and weep' with Tom Cully as the soloist is my foremost choice. A close second would be 'Lullabye' with Josh Madine as the soloist.

Otherwise, it'd be one of the few songs written/co-written by Muramatsu - 'Song of Life', 'Angel', 'You were there', 'Far Away'... Did I miss any? ;)
JimmyRiddle
Diamond Member

Post by JimmyRiddle »

'Be Still My Soul' is quite moving, probably because it's just the boys voices. Put into the context of a 'memorial' and it thaws the coldest of hearts.
My Twitter; JimmyRiddlez
fan_de_LoK
Diamond Member

Post by fan_de_LoK »

Of course, Agnus Dei, by Liam O'Kane :)

The Furby

Post by The Furby »

Interesting to see how some songs can be comforting others when to me they feel quite overwhelming :)

I agree with others on Touch the Sky, Lead Kindly Light, Agnus Dei, Hymn to Mary, Going Home, Silencium, Venite Adoremus, and especially Lament, which has led me countless times to sleep.

I'd add to the list A Song of Enchantment, Faithful Heart, Lux Æterna, Never Be Alone, & Semele.

Three Ravens :mrgreen:
filiarheni
Gold Member

Post by filiarheni »

I love your replies. Even though it makes me happy to read that e. g. Touch the Sky is a song of comfort I share with others, the diversity in the reception is fascinating. Again it shows how right Libera is to foster/maintain such a broad repertoire, as they are able to please a very wide range in their listeners! :D

And it's not a matter of favourite songs. I absolutely adore Voca Me and wish to hear it in each and every concert; however, I can't call it a song of comfort, but one of enjoyable tension, thrill and mesmerise.

I find both Wexford Carol and Attendite very comforting as well. Attendite evokes a "season of spring" in me and Wexford Carol feels like a gentle nightwind full of good will (funny, Maarten, how you think of sun. But the meadow is the same. :lol: ). Definitely, only Libera's version does so. I prefer it with Isaac though.

Wolf wrote: <span title="Tue Mar 09, 2021 3:21 am">3 years ago</span> everything's right in the world when listening to it.
Well expressed, that's exactly what I was aiming at.

theriverflowson wrote: <span title="Tue Mar 09, 2021 6:02 am">3 years ago</span> There is an endless number of songs comforting me, but one songs which pops up in my mind first: Prayer (When at night I go to sleep)
Oh, I love Prayer and the picture of the 14 angels watching over us is a very calming one. I wish Libera would put the song into their concerts again.

justin wrote: <span title="Tue Mar 09, 2021 4:16 pm">3 years ago</span> 'Do not stand at my grave and weep' with Tom Cully as the soloist is my foremost choice.
Do not stand! :o I wouldn't have guessed that one, but I understand. Although I find this a wonderful song and do agree about its consoling message, it goes too much into my heart so that it can be too severe.

fan_de_LoK wrote: <span title="Tue Mar 09, 2021 5:00 pm">3 years ago</span> Of course, Agnus Dei, by Liam O'Kane :)
I thought about Agnus Dei, too. For me, it's the calmest of all Libera's songs (when I heard it for the first time on my first day, I fell asleep, although I had been eager to hear a long list of firsts of Libera songs that evening :mrgreen: ). This is also a song I'd love to hear live in concert.

Padmachou wrote: <span title="Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:36 pm">3 years ago</span> [...] I have a comforting playlist on my phone, called "Ultra soft songs", and many Libera songs are in this playlist of course.
Ah yes, I have specific playlists as well, each with a different focus. :)

The Furby wrote: <span title="Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:48 pm">3 years ago</span> I agree with others on [...] especially Lament, which has led me countless times to sleep.
See above. :lol: But you probably wanted it that way, while I was not prepared, just fell asleep and missed all the songs which followed. :shock: :wink:

The Furby wrote: <span title="Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:48 pm">3 years ago</span> Three Ravens :mrgreen:
Hehe, although this is a fantastic song, which draws you in, it's also eerie ... so, more dis- than quieting. :mrgreen:
filiarheni
Gold Member

Post by filiarheni »

Abide With Me also conveys plenty of calm to my soul which can make it a go-to song for me. Here, the difference between "belonging to favourites" and "song for special occasions" may be the widest. Not to be misunderstood: I like Abide With Me, it's a beautiful song and I enjoy the progress in the arrangement, while constantly staying calming. But it's not one of my must-have-wishing songs for a concert for instance; many other Libera songs rank before it.