St John's Smith SQ Christmas Concert 2020 (Dec 6)

Talks and reviews about Libera concerts or public appearances

Moderator: Moderators

theriverflowson
Silver Member

Re: St John's Smith SQ Christmas Concert 2020 (Dec 6)

Post by theriverflowson »

Netnutter wrote: <span title="Sat Jan 09, 2021 3:02 am">3 years ago</span> Hi. Stephen was actually higher than he looked in the video. The stage itself is not that high. I'm pretty sure the boys were positioned in such a way that everyone was not only a safe distance from the others but that everyone could see him. The orchestra was on a slightly higher level in a separate raised area.
I was sitting near the back, in the centre and I could see almost every member of the choir and the orchestra.
Video angles can be a bit deceptive because they are set on different levels, at different angles and with varying levels of zoom. One of the reasons I love going to their concerts is my perspective is unique to me. No-one else experienced the concert the same way as me. Everyone there saw and heard it slightly differently.
Video's don't give you the same option. For me, the video was just a way to enjoy it over and over again.
Thanks for the interesting question, Egorbea2018, and thank Netnutter for sharing your concert experiences!

I'm wondering what happend after the concert / after the stream ended. Did the boys put on masks before leaving the stage? Did they immediately left the venue or assembled backstage? Was the audience supposed to wait until the boys left?

The daily Covid-cases in the UK almost tripled since the concert and the situation is dramatic especially in the London area. I'm glad the concert plans worked out just in time and hope that the members of Libera, their families and all the UK-based LD-members are safe and sound.
Fall on your knees! O hear the angel voices!
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

theriverflowson wrote: <span title="Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:44 am">3 years ago</span>
I'm wondering what happened after the concert / after the stream ended. Did the boys put on masks before leaving the stage? Did they immediately left the venue or assembled backstage? Was the audience supposed to wait until the boys left?
The boys sat on the stage with their backs to the audience and we were asked to leave as quickly as possible because they couldn't move the boys until after the hall was cleared.
If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
theriverflowson
Silver Member

Yorkie wrote: <span title="Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:01 am">3 years ago</span>
theriverflowson wrote: <span title="Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:44 am">3 years ago</span>
I'm wondering what happened after the concert / after the stream ended. Did the boys put on masks before leaving the stage? Did they immediately left the venue or assembled backstage? Was the audience supposed to wait until the boys left?
The boys sat on the stage with their backs to the audience and we were asked to leave as quickly as possible because they couldn't move the boys until after the hall was cleared.
Oh I see, totally makes sense doing it in that order! Thanks
GlennJalmas

Post by GlennJalmas »

Libera had just released another video from the last SJSS concert. Noel Nouvelet..

Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

GlennJalmas wrote: <span title="Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:21 pm">3 years ago</span> Libera had just released another video from the last SJSS concert. Noel Nouvelet..

Let the video releases keep on coming! Maybe we'll get the music video version of "If" shortly? :mrgreen:
GlennJalmas

Post by GlennJalmas »

Surpinto wrote: <span title="Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:12 pm">3 years ago</span>
GlennJalmas wrote: <span title="Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:21 pm">3 years ago</span> Libera had just released another video from the last SJSS concert. Noel Nouvelet..

Let the video releases keep on coming!
Maybe we'll get the music video version of "If" shortly? :mrgreen:
I agree,I'm looking forward as well for Sing🙂.
theriverflowson
Silver Member

Another song of the latest concert will be released on Libera's YT channel tomorrow (Jan 23): Walking in the air with highly valued Luca following in Aled Jones footsteps :D !

Getting a bit off topic (...or maybe not...): Do you guys already know Aled's duet with his younger self?
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

theriverflowson wrote: <span title="Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:23 am">3 years ago</span> Another song of the latest concert will be released on Libera's YT channel tomorrow (Jan 23): Walking in the air with highly valued Luca following in Aled Jones footsteps :D !
Nice! :D
theriverflowson wrote: <span title="Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:23 am">3 years ago</span> Getting a bit off topic (...or maybe not...): Do you guys already know Aled's duet with his younger self?
Yes, I think most of us have heard it; but it's always nice to be reminded. :wink:
Wolf

Post by Wolf »

theriverflowson wrote: <span title="Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:23 am">3 years ago</span> Do you guys already know Aled's duet with his younger self?
(Sorry for continuing off-topic) - Here's a couple more you may be interested in!

theriverflowson
Silver Member

Wolf wrote: <span title="Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:37 pm">3 years ago</span>
(Sorry for continuing off-topic) - Here's a couple more you may be interested in!

Thanks so much, Wolf, I like that, too! :D

Another question to those who were lucky enough to attend the concert: The musicians were positioned behind the choir, which I feel is relatively unusal (otherwise please correct me). Does this make a difference when it comes to the sound of the choir, being literally in the foreground, while the music is playing in the background? I could imagine this makes it a subtle experience if you are keen-eared.
Last edited by theriverflowson on Sat Jan 23, 2021 7:14 pm, edited 4 times in total.
john45
Gold Member

Post by john45 »

Musicians behind or either side of the choir is the usual arrangement if there is sufficient room. Musicians behind always sounds better to me (from the front rows). Musicians in front can sometimes overpower the choir - especially a french horn.
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

john45 wrote: <span title="Sat Jan 23, 2021 6:52 pm">3 years ago</span> Musicians behind or either side of the choir is the usual arrangement if there is sufficient room. Musicians behind always sounds better to me (from the front rows). Musicians in front can sometimes overpower the choir - especially a french horn.
Have to agree with John - those of us who like to be near the stage can sometimes find the balance of the musicians to the singing a bit out of balance (nothing to do with the quality of the musicians who are always excellent and I'm sure if we sat further back it would be a perfect blend :D ). These concerts and the previous Christmas concert in 2019 at St John's had the perfect balance between the boys and musicians for those of us lucky enough to be near the front
If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
theriverflowson
Silver Member

The next song has officially been released today on YT: 'Sing Lullaby (The Infant King)' with a great solo performance by Dominic:

Narnian

Post by Narnian »

theriverflowson wrote: <span title="Sat Feb 06, 2021 6:50 pm">3 years ago</span> The next song has officially been released today on YT: 'Sing Lullaby (The Infant King)' with a great solo performance by Dominic:

Hello my friends :!: :wink:
Fantastic performance by Dominic, no doubts!
And 2 more thoughts about this vid:
1) i think it was not easy for operators to find the right angle for each solo in this concert :shock:
2) funny: did you see 2:20-2:30 activ boy sitting on the floor (to the left) :lol: who is this boy? :?:
:wink: it’s nice to be important, but it’s more important to be nice :wink:
theforestdweller
Silver Member

Post by theforestdweller »

Narnian wrote: <span title="Sun Feb 07, 2021 9:46 pm">3 years ago</span> 2) funny: did you see 2:20-2:30 activ boy sitting on the floor (to the left) :lol: who is this boy? :?:
I think it's Thomas Mushrafi :)
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe" - Einstein