St John's Smith SQ Christmas Concert 2020 (Dec 6)

Talks and reviews about Libera concerts or public appearances

Moderator: Moderators

Surpinto
Platinum Member

Re: St John's Smith SQ Christmas Concert 2020 (Dec 6)

Post by Surpinto »

theriverflowson wrote: <span title="Sat Jan 02, 2021 3:14 pm">3 years ago</span>
JimmyRiddle wrote: <span title="Mon Dec 28, 2020 2:09 pm">3 years ago</span> For those yet to watch the concert, you may have an opportunity via

Viking TV

...on New Years Eve.
For me it appears that the concert on Viking TV was the same that is available as stream via St John's Smith SQ - I did not recognize any elements that might be from the first concert on that evening.

Worth mentioning is a brief intro for the Viking TV audience by Daniel, Victor and Freddie, filmed at the same location than the Christmas Message:

Daniel: "Hello Viking TV friends around the World!"
Victor: "We are Libera and we are going to perform a Christmas concert in London."
Freddie: "We are very spaced out and we have a smaller audience, but we are happy to be singing together again."
Daniel: "We hope everyone is enjoying that Christmas period (?). We wish you a very happy New Year."
Thanks for this! It must have been recorded on the night of the show.

https://youtu.be/v8hN9UHWkDU
john45
Gold Member

Post by john45 »

theriverflowson wrote: <span title="Sat Jan 02, 2021 3:14 pm">3 years ago</span> Freddie: "We are very spaced out "
Perhaps social distancing could have been expressed less ambiguously.
theriverflowson
Silver Member

Post by theriverflowson »

Surpinto wrote: <span title="Sat Jan 02, 2021 3:53 pm">3 years ago</span> Thanks for this! It must have been recorded on the night of the show.

You are most welcome! To be honest, I dislike it to be available for free as an unlimited on-demand-service to the public before the sale of the stream has ended. It might cause Libera to miss revenues from the stream sale. Hopefully, they have an arrangement with Viking TV at least!
Fall on your knees! O hear the angel voices!
theriverflowson
Silver Member

john45 wrote: <span title="Sat Jan 02, 2021 7:31 pm">3 years ago</span>
theriverflowson wrote: <span title="Sat Jan 02, 2021 3:14 pm">3 years ago</span> Freddie: "We are very spaced out "
Perhaps social distancing could have been expressed less ambiguously.
Haha, yes, my thoughts! As a non-native speaker, I checked for that phrase and found some irritating translations :roll: :mrgreen:
LordG

Post by LordG »

JimmyRiddle wrote: <span title="Mon Dec 28, 2020 2:09 pm">3 years ago</span> For those yet to watch the concert, you may have an opportunity via
Viking TV
...on New Years Eve.
Surpinto wrote: <span title="Sat Jan 02, 2021 3:53 pm">3 years ago</span> Thanks for this! It must have been recorded on the night of the show.
If you look at the video linked from YT on Viking TV's website, you can see that this link is not listed
on YT and thus cannot be found directly on YT. This should limit the circle of those who find the video
via this route.
Of course, it is a pity that Libera loses revenue this way, but Libera should also have received money
for the use of the video.
To what extent the release of the video on Viking TV and St.John Square will affect future releases of
CDs and concerts remains to be seen.
All Albums (CD+Vinyl) in my possession :oops: :D
theriverflowson
Silver Member

After checking the Viking.TV website again it appears that the mentioned (not listed) YT video of the stream was embedded after the event. Not sure if the concert will be permanently available here, but their stream archive reaches back several months (at least until April 2020), so some more time for rewatching :wink:
Robolib7

Post by Robolib7 »

Libera is listed on the Viking Cruises web site as one of their 23 “cultural partners”. I’m not sure what that means in terms of ongoing financial benefit for Libera but there was a post on the forum a few years back saying that Libera sang at the 2016 christening of the "Viking Sea" and that Viking sponsored Libera's 2017 USA tour.

Maybe Viking also picked up some or all of the costs for the Christmas concert. Having the video viewed on the Viking web site is probably good publicity for Libera anyway.
TullyBascombe
Platinum Member

Post by TullyBascombe »

Knowing that the concert was going to posted for free on YouTube would not have affected my purchase of the online ticket and I hope that most here feel the same.
Netnutter

Post by Netnutter »

TullyBascombe wrote: <span title="Mon Jan 04, 2021 4:01 am">3 years ago</span> Knowing that the concert was going to posted for free on YouTube would not have affected my purchase of the online ticket and I hope that most here feel the same.
I agree entirely. Even though I was one of the lucky ones that was actually able to go to the concert, I had no hesitation in paying to see the concert stream online. All involved put in so much effort to firstly enable not just one but 2 concerts to take place, in as safe a way as possible, but then made it available to all those that were unable to be there in person. Both Libera and SJSS deserve all the gratitude, thanks and support we can give. :D
theriverflowson
Silver Member

In the comment section of the concerning YT video it is indicated that a DVD release is already in planning. Does anyone have further information if that might be true? I could not find any official statements so far.
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

theriverflowson wrote: <span title="Mon Jan 04, 2021 6:24 am">3 years ago</span> In the comment section of the concerning YT video it is indicated that a DVD release is already in planning. Does anyone have further information if that might be true? I could not find any official statements so far.
When looking at things like this, consider the source: a random person in the comments section of YouTube saying something without any substantiating information. :wink: He could be right or he could be wrong, but he is most certainly speculating.
bamboo
Silver Member

Post by bamboo »

The programme booklet mentions several boys that I can't spot in the concert that was live streamed. Just wondering if they were present in the first concert (the one that wasn't live streamed)?
swalker2001
Site Admin

Post by swalker2001 »

Surpinto wrote: <span title="Mon Jan 04, 2021 12:14 pm">3 years ago</span>
theriverflowson wrote: <span title="Mon Jan 04, 2021 6:24 am">3 years ago</span> In the comment section of the concerning YT video it is indicated that a DVD release is already in planning. Does anyone have further information if that might be true? I could not find any official statements so far.
When looking at things like this, consider the source: a random person in the comments section of YouTube saying something without any substantiating information. :wink: He could be right or he could be wrong, but he is most certainly speculating.
Neo let it slip that they are working on a new album on the Creative World Ep. 15. Nothing was mentioned about a DVD though.

====
"If you cannot teach me to fly, teach me to sing."
--JM Barrie, Peter Pan
Egorbea2018

Post by Egorbea2018 »

Happy New Year to all!

I have a question for those of you that were present at the concert. Steven Geraghty was conducting in the front of the boys with the orchestra in the back of the stage (a very large stage to be able to distance 6ft between 30+ boys). How were the orchestra and the boys, especially the ones in the back, able to see his directing? Even the boys in the front row had to look down to see Steven. Being so far apart from each other, there is no way the boys behind the front row could see much and most of the boys were looking up. And there is no way the orchestra could see Steven who was lower than the stage directing.
Netnutter

Post by Netnutter »

Hi. Stephen was actually higher than he looked in the video. The stage itself is not that high. I'm pretty sure the boys were positioned in such a way that everyone was not only a safe distance from the others but that everyone could see him. The orchestra was on a slightly higher level in a separate raised area.
I was sitting near the back, in the centre and I could see almost every member of the choir and the orchestra.
Video angles can be a bit deceptive because they are set on different levels, at different angles and with varying levels of zoom. One of the reasons I love going to their concerts is my perspective is unique to me. No-one else experienced the concert the same way as me. Everyone there saw and heard it slightly differently.
Video's don't give you the same option. For me, the video was just a way to enjoy it over and over again.