St John's Smith SQ Christmas Concert 2020 (Dec 6)

Talks and reviews about Libera concerts or public appearances

Moderator: Moderators

theriverflowson
Silver Member

Re: St John's Smith SQ Christmas Concert 2020 (Dec 6)

Post by theriverflowson »

Narnian wrote: <span title="Sun Feb 07, 2021 9:46 pm">3 years ago</span> 1) i think it was not easy for operators to find the right angle for each solo in this concert :shock:
Oh yes, it must have been difficult to choose how to organize the cameras in preparation of the concert. Of course, soloists like Dominic or Daniel get their "own" angles, some angles should show groups of front singers and others should show the group as a whole, but you also have to decide which parts of the stage and whichs singers will not - or only marginally - be filmed. I sometimes catch myself with my nose almost touching the screen while observing what is going on in the background and at the edges of the stage during the long shots :mrgreen: Anyway, too sad that the back row can hardly be seen, having in mind that most of the older boys might leave Libera in the near future.

I counted seven different angles during 'Sing Lullaby'. Interestingly, despite the limited number of camera angles they have, they do not even use every angle for every song. I just noticed that the long shot remains for almost one and a half minutes at the beginning of 'Sing Lullaby', wow!

Btw, I really love the long shot angle as it is a great opportunity to observe Steven conducting. I'm wondering if he has his own technique and if it is difficult for the boys being conducted by someone else than Robert.
Fall on your knees! O hear the angel voices!
filiarheni
Gold Member

Post by filiarheni »

theriverflowson wrote: <span title="Sun Feb 14, 2021 7:08 am">3 years ago</span> Anyway, too sad that the back row can hardly be seen, having in mind that most of the older boys might leave Libera in the near future.
Same here! I love to watch the back row too and I'd also love if they had a group solo of their own on a regular basis, like in 2019 in St. John's Smith Square, when they started the second half with Conditor Alme Siderum. A full song would gladly be appreciated. :D
"But in the dark and cold of things there always, always something sings"
GlennJalmas

Post by GlennJalmas »

Here comes another YouTube Premiere,The Angel Gabriel😇.

filiarheni
Gold Member

Post by filiarheni »

I had a look at the status quo of the concert songs released on Youtube so far:

09.12.2020 Ding Dong Merrily on High
13.12.2020 In the Bleak Midwinter
20.12.2020 Poor Little Jesus
27.12.2020 I Saw Three Ships
10.01.2020 Noël Nouvelet
23.01.2021 Walking in the Air
06.02.2021 Sing Lullaby
20.02.2021 The Angel Gabriel

So the missing songs are the three new ones, Carol of the Bells, Deep Peace and Total Praise. If these are released as well, despite CotB existing on Youtube already so often and the other two having been published after the June concert, then CotB should be the next, as then all Christmas songs are done.

And I'm SO waiting for the new ones, especially one of them ... :cry: :roll:
Last edited by filiarheni on Sun Feb 21, 2021 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
theriverflowson
Silver Member

Might it be their plan to combine the release of a new song and video with the announcement of a new album? :shock: :mrgreen:
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

theriverflowson wrote: <span title="Sun Feb 21, 2021 7:08 am">3 years ago</span> Might it be their plan to combine the release of a new song and video with the announcement of a new album? :shock: :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: Good thinking!
filiarheni
Gold Member

Post by filiarheni »

There is a new album underway; I hope they won't wait until October to release it. And "if" so, then hopefully they give us at least the video before. All else would be cruelty beyond thinking. :lol: If they only gave us a consolation as a replacement for the spring concert we have to skip all together, such as a tiny small video which they recorded past October. :wink:
bachmahlerfan

Post by bachmahlerfan »

filiarheni wrote: <span title="Sun Feb 21, 2021 5:06 pm">3 years ago</span> There is a new album underway; I hope they won't wait until October to release it. And "if" so, then hopefully they give us at least the video before. All else would be cruelty beyond thinking. :lol: If they only gave us a consolation as a replacement for the spring concert we have to skip all together, such as a tiny small video which they recorded past October. :wink:
The problem is that I don't think they quite finished recording all the songs for their next album. Meanwhile, they are still stuck in lockdown and it will probably be months until they have finished recording. So, I don't think the album will be released before October. However, I wouldn't be surprised if they release something online again like last June.
theriverflowson
Silver Member

Just wondering if a new album has been announced for October or where this date is coming from?

When Neo was talking about the new album in 'Creative World' it sounded to me that they already made good progess with this project. When I now watch it again I'm not so sure anymore if "a few more we have to do" is related to recording or practicing for recording :? :mrgreen:
filiarheni
Gold Member

Post by filiarheni »

theriverflowson wrote: <span title="Sun Feb 21, 2021 6:36 pm">3 years ago</span> Just wondering if a new album has been announced for October or where this date is coming from?
Nothing fixed at all, not that I know of. Only an uncertain fear wafting that it could be close to a Japan tour (while: What if the tour can't take place again due to well-known reasons?). However, all of this is complete speculation! I simply hope that they will "release" us much earlier from the wait.  :wink:

theriverflowson wrote: <span title="Sun Feb 21, 2021 6:36 pm">3 years ago</span>When Neo was talking about the new album in 'Creative World' it sounded to me that they already made good progess with this project. When I now watch it again I'm not so sure anymore if "a few more we have to do" is related to recording or practicing for recording :? :mrgreen:
To me it sounded as if he meant a few more songs to be recorded.
JimmyRiddle
Diamond Member

Post by JimmyRiddle »

Tentatively optimistic now following today's UK's roadmap out of Lockdown3 and the successful vaccination roll-out that even if Ely's May concert cannot go ahead, then something will be planned for the summer holidays. After nearly 12 months of gloomy darkness, things are suddenly looking a little brighter.
My Twitter; JimmyRiddlez
TullyBascombe
Platinum Member

Post by TullyBascombe »

That will be nice for UK Libera fans, but on the other side of the Atlantic experts are talking about continuing Covid precautions through the end of the year now. Europe may be in the same boat.
filiarheni
Gold Member

Post by filiarheni »

filiarheni wrote: <span title="Sat Feb 20, 2021 9:11 pm">3 years ago</span> I had a look at the status quo of the concert songs released on Youtube so far: [...]

So the missing songs are the three new ones, Carol of the Bells, Deep Peace and Total Praise. If these are released as well, despite CotB existing on Youtube already so often and the other two having been published after the June concert, then CotB should be the next, as then all Christmas songs are done.
Libera has just tweeted: "Our final clip from our concert at St John's Smith Square is live... https://buff.ly/2ZKpPJC."

So - that's finished. And the new songs are all saved for a later time, which is reasonable and comprehensible. Although it's hard to wait, we can enjoy a rising excitement and tension about something, while we don't have a concert to look forward to.
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

filiarheni wrote: <span title="Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:45 pm">3 years ago</span>
filiarheni wrote: <span title="Sat Feb 20, 2021 9:11 pm">3 years ago</span> I had a look at the status quo of the concert songs released on Youtube so far: [...]

Libera has just tweeted: "Our final clip from our concert at St John's Smith Square is live... https://buff.ly/2ZKpPJC."

So - that's finished. And the new songs are all saved for a later time, which is reasonable and comprehensible. Although it's hard to wait, we can enjoy a rising excitement and tension about something, while we don't have a concert to look forward to.
I suspect those new songs will be released first on an album, or music video(s), where the audio is studio quality, and then followed by release of the live concert videos months or years later.
filiarheni
Gold Member

Post by filiarheni »

Surpinto wrote: <span title="Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:26 pm">3 years ago</span>
filiarheni wrote: <span title="Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:45 pm">3 years ago</span> And the new songs are all saved for a later time, which is reasonable and comprehensible. Although it's hard to wait, we can enjoy a rising excitement and tension about something, while we don't have a concert to look forward to.
I suspect those new songs will be released first on an album, or music video(s), where the audio is studio quality
Yup, that's what I meant. :)