Apart but Together - Libera Mini Concert (6 June 2020)

Talks and reviews about Libera concerts or public appearances

Moderator: Moderators

Surpinto
Platinum Member

Apart but Together - Libera Mini Concert (6 June 2020)

Post by Surpinto »

Libera has announced a mini-concert for 7:30 (GMT) on Saturday 6th June. This event was already hinted at by the Libera moose Twitter account.

Libera are also soliciting donations to pay for the cost of this concert. As the concert is with orchestra (wow! :shock:) and probably involved a lot of effort for everyone, I think it is a great gesture to send them some much needed funds. :D
Last edited by Surpinto on Wed Jul 07, 2021 11:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
JimmyRiddle
Diamond Member

Re: Libera Mini Concert

Post by JimmyRiddle »

Great news and very good of Libera to be doing this in very difficult times. I think it will be played out 'as live' so I hope any small technical errors are easily forgiven especially as normal rehearsals will have been very much scaled back.

Now mini-concert...what will be on the repertoire. I'll go with the easy one first.... Sanctus!

Looking forward to June 6th.
My Twitter; JimmyRiddlez
fan_de_LoK
Diamond Member

Post by fan_de_LoK »

JimmyRiddle wrote:Now mini-concert...what will be on the repertoire.
I also wonder what 'mini-concert' means in term of number of songs.
I would be (enjoyably) surprised if they go up to 10 songs, I think it will be less than that, like 4-6 songs...
Too many songs could be long to watch for the spectators on our PC or mobile and it could be too much work for the staff in recordings, post-productions and editing before the release date.

For the titles, we know probably already one, the one whose score was visible under Moose's legs (no spoil here) :wink:
dani
Diamond Member

Post by dani »

I am super happy as I didn’t expect this in a million years.

It’s also good because some boys voices may change before we get to hear them live so this will forever capture their voices at their peak like Dominic , Tadhg who are 13 years of age now.

The Christmas concert was absolutely stunning so any songs they wish to sing i am happy to hear :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
andmar
Silver Member

Post by andmar »

I'm super happy about this surprise as well. Very much looking forward to it.
Most likely it will be a pre-recorded performance. But maybe we'll have some parts - like announcements - live?

fan_de_LoK wrote: <span title="Mon May 25, 2020 5:06 pm">3 years ago</span>
JimmyRiddle wrote:Now mini-concert...what will be on the repertoire.
I also wonder what 'mini-concert' means in term of number of songs.
I would be (enjoyably) surprised if they go up to 10 songs, I think it will be less than that, like 4-6 songs...
Too many songs could be long to watch for the spectators on our PC or mobile and it could be too much work for the staff in recordings, post-productions and editing before the release date.

For the titles, we know probably already one, the one whose score was visible under Moose's legs (no spoil here) :wink:
The concert is scheduled for one hour according to the entry in Libera's concert calendar. It may mean not much, but maybe we can expect few more songs then...
Anyway, I'm happy with whatever they perform for us.
MC.jpg
MC.jpg (36.69 KiB) Viewed 4948 times
MC.jpg
MC.jpg (36.69 KiB) Viewed 4948 times
https://libera.org.uk/event/online-mini-concert/
fan_de_LoK
Diamond Member

Post by fan_de_LoK »

andmar wrote:The concert is scheduled for one hour according to the entry in Libera's concert calendar. It may mean not much, but maybe we can expect few more songs then...
Good point ! Thanks Andmar :)

One hour is quite long, I'm surprised.
When they perform a normal concert it usually lasts for 2 hours, two parts of 45 minutes each and an intermission.

If the online mini concerts really lasts for 1 hour, it would mean more songs than half of an usual concert.
This is promising :)
TullyBascombe
Platinum Member

Post by TullyBascombe »

7:30 PM in London will be 2:30 PM on the east coast of the US.
justin

Post by justin »

andmar wrote: <span title="Mon May 25, 2020 9:41 pm">3 years ago</span> I'm super happy about this surprise as well. Very much looking forward to it.
Most likely it will be a pre-recorded performance. But maybe we'll have some parts - like announcements - live?
Since it's Youtube Premiere, basically means it will be a pre-recorded video. Would be nice if we could have a Youtube live session before the actual premiere though - Robert and a few boys could do a simultaneous live stream introducing the concert. Just a thought, but I doubt that would happen.
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

I'm surprised that it's scheduled for an entire hour. Do we really think it will be that long? I certainly hope so but I'm shocked!
andmar
Silver Member

Post by andmar »

Surpinto wrote: <span title="Tue May 26, 2020 11:36 am">3 years ago</span> I'm surprised that it's scheduled for an entire hour. Do we really think it will be that long? I certainly hope so but I'm shocked!
I will be very much surprised too, if it is a full hour. I think, it's a rough time window estimation. Though, I think we can expect a bit more than only 2 or 4 songs. Otherwise they would have scheduled it for half an hour, wouldn't they?
Still, that's only a speculation. We'll see soon.

It would be really nice to have a concert programme, wouldn't it? I wonder if there is one available for download as a PDF file.
Last edited by andmar on Tue May 26, 2020 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Padmachou
Silver Member

Post by Padmachou »

Do you think each boy will have recorded from home and then someone mixed them together ? Or do you think they got a special authorization to make a concert without any public, that they filmed, or something ?

Very happy though and I would be even with ONE song so let's wait and see about the 1h scheduled concert ! :mrgreen:
justin

Post by justin »

Padmachou wrote: <span title="Tue May 26, 2020 12:53 pm">3 years ago</span> Do you think each boy will have recorded from home and then someone mixed them together ? Or do you think they got a special authorization to make a concert without any public, that they filmed, or something ?

Very happy though and I would be even with ONE song so let's wait and see about the 1h scheduled concert ! :mrgreen:
The most technically feasible way would be to ask each boy to record their part separately, and then mix all of the video/audio tracks in post-processing. That's what most other choirs did.
dani
Diamond Member

Post by dani »

Do you think we will hear Luca and the song he sung on the Libera video they released about a month ago?
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

I expect it to be a full hour but if it's pre-recorded (as it must be) then I would expect there to be some messages cut in to it (I wouldn't be surprised if they had something similar to the recent boys at home video messages re lockdown (or given this is Libera even reusing some of that footage)). Minimum of 10 songs I would think and I would hope for 12.

The question is, will there be a new song that we haven't heard before :D
If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
filiarheni
Gold Member

Post by filiarheni »

Wow, what a great surprise that was! How I had been complaining silently inside for weeks and more with every lockdown song other choirs posted and now Libera suddenly cheerfully comes around the corner with an online concert! Because if it's really one hour time - and why should it not, as they must know the duration at this point - I can't call that a mini concert anymore. Thank you so much, Libera! :D

I love that they decided for the way to have the concert remain online afterwards. It somehow feels like a mixture of concert and DVD we so wished for. :lol:

I'm curious too how that will have been recorded. I guess it's a home recording version, as singing is said to be highly infectious. Too much danger. And where would it be possible to place such a big choir with a secured distance, plus orchestra, plus recording equipment.
All the more I am looking forward to their creativity in presenting us this unexpected, unusual concert "when we will be singing on-line like we’ve never done before, along with our Libera orchestra!" (Homepage/News)

Regarding the songs, I expect a set list of familiar songs, due to the difficult rehearsing situation. I'd be surprised and certainly very impressed if they had managed to learn and record a new song. Well okay, if they started while physical rehearsals still were possible ... then ... :wink:

Are you aware that we will all be having front row seats?!? :mrgreen:
"But in the dark and cold of things there always, always something sings"