Hi I am Clive

New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Moderator: Moderators

Molyfar

Hi I am Clive

Post by Molyfar »

At 66 years old I suspect that I may be one of the oldest in this forum lol :-D

I am actually deaf would you believe although with my hearing aid on I can hear reasonably well. I am also in a choir but I do not sing - its a Deaf choir.

I came across Libera quite by accident whilst browsing YouTube for songs the deaf choir could sign to. Although I have difficulty hearing the words (thank god for closed captions) I find their songs very calming and soothing - very useful at this time of lockdown.

Hobbies and interests include genealogy and photography. As a former Assistant Cub Scout Leader, I am now a leader with a children's group at my church and I help with many of the church's other activities. I am a grey surfer and play computer games mainly with my grand nephews - Molyfar is my gaming name.

My favourite Libera Song is "Going Home" soloed by Josh Madine, Ben Phillip and Tom Cully mainly because I can actually hear most of the words they are singing without captions.
Last edited by Molyfar on Sun Apr 26, 2020 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Re: Hi I am Clive

Post by Surpinto »

Hello! Welcome again to Libera Dreams. Though I'm quite a bit younger than 66, we have people here of all different ages and backgrounds so you are far from the only one in that age bracket.

I can't say that I've ever heard of someone encountering Libera through anything related to being deaf, so that is rather unique and cool. :D I hope that you are successful in finding something for your choir to sign to! "Going Home" is an excellent song and is definitely very soothing in its melodic structure. I like Lead Kindly Light for when I am stressed or anxious. The lyrics can be found quickly using a google search.

Any favorite songs from their latest album Christmas Carols with Libera? You can read my own review here.

Anyway, I do hope that we'll hear more from you in the future.
filiarheni
Gold Member

Post by filiarheni »

Hello Clive, welcome to the Forum! I think that the age is the last what matters among the Libera fans. :wink:

So that's very interesting, and if I understand correctly there's no problem for you to hear the music properly, but it's hard to hear the words? I agree, Libera's songs are enormously soothing. I still remember how I couldn't believe it and how mesmerised I was, when I searched for them and listened for the first time. And for quite some time I hardly considered the lyrics at all, it was just the music which did me so much good and it was sufficient. Still, the music counts more for me than the lyrics, as the music, the arrangements, the voices are just incomparably beautiful.

It's fine to have you here with us now and may Libera's music help you to manage the corona crisis well - I trust it will! :)
"But in the dark and cold of things there always, always something sings"
TullyBascombe
Platinum Member

Post by TullyBascombe »

Sorry Clive, I'm 67 years old so I have you beat by a year. I believe we do have another poster who is older than I though.
I've been listening to Libera for about 15 years now, I've been a member of Libera Dreams since it first opened.

May I suggest you might like Venite Adoramus? It's not much of a song, it's is primarily repeating "ah"s and "venite adoramus" over and over again but the presentation gives it a mystical ethereal quality. I don't think you'd be able to use it for your choir though, it requires processing with an echo effect that you can't deliver in a live performance.

Last year I got a subscription to a genealogy website. I traced my family back from Paris, Tennessee through Albemarle, Virginia then Jamestown then Oxfordshire then Kent in the 12th century.
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

Hello Clive

I'm very sorry to be so late in welcoming you to the forum - I have been distracted by real life recently. There are lots of, erm, senior fans of the group :lol: so you are certainly not alone! Libera have performed in at the Starkey Hearing Foundation Gala in the USA - If I remember correctly one of the Songs they did was Song of Life - would that work for your choir?

ANyway, you are entitled to my official welcome:

If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love