No work for 2 weeks

Talk about anything else here

Moderator: Moderators

Prototype

No work for 2 weeks

Post by Prototype »

As from today I am off work for 2 weeks, like so many places they have closed. It may last longer than two weeks, I guess I will find out in due course. Still, it gives me a change to go out and do some serious photography, and with the streets practically empty it should make for some interesting photos.
TullyBascombe
Platinum Member

Re: No work for 2 weeks

Post by TullyBascombe »

I've noticed a major surge of traffic in this forum for the past week. I can't help but wonder if it's because many of our posters are in similar circumstances.
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

No doubt! At times like this Libera's music helps me greatly. With my job being put mostly on hold (I can do a lot of work at home but not nearly enough to occupy a full day) and my main hobby being drastically limited with my gym being closed, it can be a bit crazy. But the key is to stay positive and have fun with others as much as possible. Music helps! :D (and so do dumbbells :wink: )
TullyBascombe
Platinum Member

Post by TullyBascombe »

Since I retired 6 months ago I've been concentrating on shedding some weight. I want to get my weight in the "normal" range so I've been dieting and exercising. At the local YMCA I would swim 1 mile 3 times / week and augment that with about an hour of treadmill, walking or elliptical machine. The other 4 days / week I would spend 2 hours on treadmill or elliptical and an additional 45 minutes lifting weights. They've closed the Y for 2 weeks so I'm stuck with just walking around the neighborhood 3 hours / day. I also bought some dumbbells, but I can't match the type of weight workout I was doing. I was using weight machines. someone my age is less likely to pull a tendon or a ligament using a machine plus you can exercise a wider range of muscles.
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

TullyBascombe wrote: <span title="Sun Mar 22, 2020 3:18 am">4 years ago</span> Since I retired 6 months ago I've been concentrating on shedding some weight. I want to get my weight in the "normal" range so I've been dieting and exercising. At the local YMCA I would swim 1 mile 3 times / week and augment that with about an hour of treadmill, walking or elliptical machine. The other 4 days / week I would spend 2 hours on treadmill or elliptical and an additional 45 minutes lifting weights. They've closed the Y for 2 weeks so I'm stuck with just walking around the neighborhood 3 hours / day. I also bought some dumbbells, but I can't match the type of weight workout I was doing. I was using weight machines. someone my age is less likely to pull a tendon or a ligament using a machine plus you can exercise a wider range of muscles.
Agreed that dumbbells are no substitute for a gym. But a few suggestions: Use lower weight and higher repetitions, do the exercise slowly to avoid pulling anything. Look on YouTube for dumbbell exercises for whatever muscle group you are trying to work. There are quite a few novel things you can do with dumbbells aside from the obvious bicep curling or chest presses on the floor/bench. Though I'm not anywhere near retirement I have a few shoulder limitations (inherited/genetic as both my father and grandfather have had issues) and some knee concerns in one of my knees due to injuries. So I keep this in mind when trying new exercises and avoid anything which exacerbates problems. You can keep looking on Google and YouTube until you find workouts you are comfortable doing.

By the way, as someone who tends to workout too much and too fast sometimes (which leads to injury and strain and running out of steam) I suggest listening to calm music (like Libera :wink:) while working out. For those of us who have tried it, and I have spoken to a few, it changes your workout from an intensive slog into a relaxing meditation type thing. Doesn't work for everyone though.
TullyBascombe
Platinum Member

Post by TullyBascombe »

Hmmm.......... I'll give your suggestions a try. For workout music though I've generally used classic rock songs with a driving beat, but that's usually when I'm on an elliptical or a treadmill. Maybe slower music would work with weight lifting.
Nominally this lock-down is supposed to end by the beginning of next week, but I have a feeling it's going to last longer.
filiarheni
Gold Member

Post by filiarheni »

Surpinto wrote: <span title="Sun Mar 22, 2020 1:51 pm">4 years ago</span> By the way, as someone who tends to workout too much and too fast sometimes (which leads to injury and strain and running out of steam) I suggest listening to calm music (like Libera :wink:) while working out. For those of us who have tried it, and I have spoken to a few, it changes your workout from an intensive slog into a relaxing meditation type thing. Doesn't work for everyone though.
TullyBascombe wrote: <span title="Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:43 am">4 years ago</span> Hmmm.......... I'll give your suggestions a try. For workout music though I've generally used classic rock songs with a driving beat, but that's usually when I'm on an elliptical or a treadmill. Maybe slower music would work with weight lifting.
When I introduced Libera to a colleague of mine, she listened to it at home while exercising. The next day she told me that she had managed more repetitions and that she assumed that this was due to the slower heartbeat - as a result of Libera's music.

Libera is simply good for our health! :D
"But in the dark and cold of things there always, always something sings"
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

filiarheni wrote: <span title="Sun Apr 05, 2020 7:29 pm">4 years ago</span>
Libera is simply good for our health! :D
Mental and physical! :D