Ely Cathedral Concert 2020, postponed to 2022

Talks and reviews about Libera concerts or public appearances

Moderator: Moderators

Netnutter

Re: Ely Cathedral 2020

Post by Netnutter »

LordG wrote: <span title="Mon Feb 01, 2021 2:32 pm">3 years ago</span> :lol: I didn't read that it was supposed to take place in 2022. That's still almost 1.5 years away.
By then, a lot of water will have flowed down the Thames. :lol:
2022?

I missed that. Wow. I have never booked a ticket for anything 28 months in advance before.
I hope that was a typo.
Netnutter

Post by Netnutter »

Netnutter wrote: <span title="Mon Feb 01, 2021 2:40 pm">3 years ago</span>
LordG wrote: <span title="Mon Feb 01, 2021 2:32 pm">3 years ago</span> :lol: I didn't read that it was supposed to take place in 2022. That's still almost 1.5 years away.
By then, a lot of water will have flowed down the Thames. :lol:
2022?

I missed that. Wow. I have never booked a ticket for anything 28 months in advance before.
I hope that was a typo.
Nope. I just checked. May 21st 2021 is a Friday. It's not a typo. :shock:
Netnutter

Post by Netnutter »

Updated my countdown timer.

Only 474 days to go.
ste1701fan

Post by ste1701fan »

and as i understand, tickets can't be held until May 2022. So i oficially lost my 1st row seat :-)
but whatever, i think that's a luxary problem that has no room in such special times! Just glad when this is over one day.....

stay healthy
Netnutter

Post by Netnutter »

ste1701fan wrote: <span title="Mon Feb 01, 2021 3:53 pm">3 years ago</span> and as i understand, tickets can't be held until May 2022. So i oficially lost my 1st row seat :-)
but whatever, i think that's a luxary problem that has no room in such special times! Just glad when this is over one day.....

stay healthy
From what the email said, they are offering refunds and you can request them. That suggests to me that the tickets will still be valid. However, if they do need to change the seating arrangements, then I think they will take into consideration where your original ticket was for, even though it may mean some losing their front row seat.
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

I've emailed David who sent the email to check if we can retain seat bookings or, as I think we suspect, we have to opt for one of the three options and start again :( I had really good seats so I'm a bit gutted to lose them :cry:

#edit# confirmed that tickets are now cancelled so you need to specify which of the 3 options above you want to take. And re-book when the concert gets announced. Again.
If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
fan_de_LoK
Diamond Member

Post by fan_de_LoK »

Thanks Yorkie, you made things clearer.

This new report (the third?) looks to be a wise decision. April or May 2021 would had been difficult to sustain based on the current situation :|
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

:cry: :(

Let's remain hopeful that Libera will do some a virtual concert or otherwise have some manner of performance this spring.
justin

Post by justin »

Surpinto wrote: <span title="Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:30 pm">3 years ago</span> :cry: :(

Let's remain hopeful that Libera will do some a virtual concert or otherwise have some manner of performance this spring.
I'm still waiting for the MV to appear :P
filiarheni
Gold Member

Post by filiarheni »

After the development during the past months up to now, there's probably no-one among us who relied on the concert going ahead as scheduled this April. But oh, how far away is May 2022, seen from today! Very, very hopefully the situation will have come back to enough normality in December (2021!) that a Christmas concert with international audience can take place again.

The ongoing postponing of live concerts is slowly breaking my heart. A few days ago, I read an article by someone who was reflecting about the possibility that the pandemic will significantly change the way of consuming culture: that it will make us lose live events even after, because we might get accustomed to comfy online presentations so much that we don't miss the live experience anymore.
The idea alone couldn't be further off in my opinion! I'm more than glad and grateful for being provided with online opportunities. It has definitely been saving us up to now and for some time longer from being totally torn away from concerts & more like that. But it simply can't be denied that a live event comprises so much more than what can ever be possible in a digital format that such a thought would never come to my mind. There can be a "both", but never an "either - or". I'm not pessimistic enough to believe that it will come to this, though. :)   But I tremendously miss attending concerts and the longing grows more and more.
"But in the dark and cold of things there always, always something sings"
Padmachou
Silver Member

Post by Padmachou »

I think we should not assume that the Ely performance being postponed to 2022 means no concert for 2021. The concert WAS previously postponed and still they performed the Christmas concert :D . The postponed concert is to happen in Ely. A concert could be set somewhere else, and I have no doubt that if they get an opportunity, maybe for Christmas 2021, they will take it. Otherwise, there still is an album coming... and videos... and maybe online concerts. This is difficult time for everyone but we have reasons to hope !

And as filiarheni said : I will come back for the concerts. The live experience, travelling, meeting you... I love it too much ! Home comfort means nothing compared to that !
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

If anything this pandemic shows just how hungry people are for live concerts, live meetings with friends, in-person travelling to places, and so on. Yes, the virtual performance industry will expand but it was already doing so. In the US you can go to a local movie theater and watch operas transmitted live from the Metropolitan opera house in New York. That was happening many years before the pandemic.

So I am not perturbed. It may incentivize Libera to sell both in person and virtual tickets if the costs of a camera crew compared to ticket sales makes it worth it. How much more revenue that could bring in would be massive; especially considering the huge number of fans worldwide. Such a concert could be sold on YouTube or other video streaming services for rent or buy for years :D Kind of like selling digital music it could trickle in some income for ages after the event.

I have no idea what the economics of the music/concert industry are nor would I presume to know what Libera should do or will do -- but I think we will all see Libera live again...together :D
LordG

Post by LordG »

"In the US you can go to a local movie theater and watch operas transmitted live from the Metropolitan opera house in New York."

I went once to "Billy Elliot the musical life" here at my local cinema with some friends and family.
It was a nice experience, but I didn't get the feeling of a life event like those times when I went
to Victoria Palace Theatre. I missed the atmosphere you will get at the VPT in London.

There is the lack of interaction between audience and stage actors, meeting hard core fans Billy
Elliot fans before and after the play.

Libera is truly a life event and will ever be. In these times it is hard to earn money to maintain a
choir. It is only logical to look for other sources of money. Even if that means organizing concerts online.
All Albums (CD+Vinyl) in my possession :oops: :D
theriverflowson
Silver Member

Post by theriverflowson »

Surpinto wrote: <span title="Wed Feb 03, 2021 10:57 pm">3 years ago</span> I have no idea what the economics of the music/concert industry are nor would I presume to know what Libera should do or will do -- but I think we will all see Libera live again...together :D
Truth has been spoken! Cannot wait to experience my first ever Libera concert ( :oops: ) and meet all the faces behind the names here! So for now let's just say that the greatest pleasure lies in the anticipation :mrgreen:
Fall on your knees! O hear the angel voices!
filiarheni
Gold Member

Post by filiarheni »

I knew nobody here would support such strange thoughts.  :)

I feel the preparations to be a part of a concert as well. To have an appointment, to have a ticket to take with you and not forget at home :mrgreen: , to have to go out to get there, to schedule pre- or afterglows with others etc. etc. ... all with the one and only aim, the concert. I just get really aware of how many minor details contribute to the full beauty of a concert attendance. :D
LordG wrote: <span title="Thu Feb 04, 2021 1:01 am">3 years ago</span> There is the lack of interaction between audience and stage actors
Yes, correct.

Also, singing in choirs myself one of which stood before a concert even twice only a handful of days before two lockdowns cancelled them, I can assure that making music at home is fine to keep the voice / the instrument trained, but it's nothing compared to making music together in direct contact. And later you just want to see the result of what you rehearsed, in an adequate environment, a concert room, a church or whatever, with an audience who enjoy and are moved by the music and how good it is to witness the joy.
So those feelings are no one-way road at all. Performers as well love to have their audience tangible with them, because it definitely inspires their playing/singing. Nothing replaces a live atmosphere.

And to be honest, if everyone everywhere will keep doing online events, then I'd feel flooded. It's the most welcome solution as long as live events aren't possible, but a precious thing is also to have a concert once and not repeatable as often as desired.

Well, I apologise for having led off-topic starting with my initial post. Obviously, I had to get that off my chest. :wink:

I'm very pleased that Libera provides us with their music as well as possible, yet all of this can only be a bridge until we see each other again in the very same room. :D :D
"But in the dark and cold of things there always, always something sings"