Ely Cathedral Concert 2020, postponed to 2022

Talks and reviews about Libera concerts or public appearances

Moderator: Moderators

maartendas
Diamond Member

Re: Ely Cathedral 2020

Post by maartendas »

LordG wrote: <span title="Fri Aug 21, 2020 11:14 pm">3 years ago</span> As I have learned from well-informed circles, the Spring Concert 2020 will again
be postponed to Saturday, April 24th, 2021. It is not official yet, but under the
given circumstances it is the better solution.

If the spring concert 2020 is already postponed to spring 2021, it can probably
be assumed that the Christmas concert 2020 will not take place either.
Personally I would rather keep such information private until there is an official announcement. I understand the wish for news and that it's hard to wait for any confirmation about the concert date etc, but it seems to me like simple good manners to allow the official sources to be the first to bring such announcements.
You raise me high beyond the sky
Through stormy night lifting me above
dani
Diamond Member

Post by dani »

maartendas wrote: <span title="Sun Aug 23, 2020 11:54 am">3 years ago</span>
LordG wrote: <span title="Fri Aug 21, 2020 11:14 pm">3 years ago</span> As I have learned from well-informed circles, the Spring Concert 2020 will again
be postponed to Saturday, April 24th, 2021. It is not official yet, but under the
given circumstances it is the better solution.

If the spring concert 2020 is already postponed to spring 2021, it can probably
be assumed that the Christmas concert 2020 will not take place either.
Personally I would rather keep such information private until there is an official announcement. I understand the wish for news and that it's hard to wait for any confirmation about the concert date etc, but it seems to me like simple good manners to allow the official sources to be the first to bring such announcements.

But people need to know because of travel plans so this is good news. It’s also not been on Ely cathedral for months this concert so if Libera are being slow to announce that’s on them. We all know it wasn’t looking good even when it was announced for October and as times on it’s become more apparent it just isn’t going to happen this year. Libera a lot of the time are been slow to announce things like Japan tours and so on because none of their team do this full time. It’s all voluntary based so it does mean that they are not always the first to break news. It does not make any less official.

The safety of the boys and the audience mean at the moment it’s simply not advisable to hold a concert. I just hope next year is better for the entire world and we can get back to some kind of normal.
maartendas
Diamond Member

Post by maartendas »

It's a matter of principle. I don't know the details of this particular situation, but if you get news from 'well informed sources', it's only respectful to show some patience and wait until those sources have made that news public themselves. Yes, that might take time - but that issue is not yours to solve. If you can show to be respectful and keep certain information to yourself, this does good to build a longer lasting relationship of trust between those sources and (in this case) the fan community.
Maybe I'm overly careful and correct in this, but that's how I see it.

As for 'back to normal' - that's not how a crisis works, I'm afraid.
dani
Diamond Member

Post by dani »

maartendas wrote: <span title="Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:26 am">3 years ago</span> It's a matter of principle. I don't know the details of this particular situation, but if you get news from 'well informed sources', it's only respectful to show some patience and wait until those sources have made that news public themselves. Yes, that might take time - but that issue is not yours to solve. If you can show to be respectful and keep certain information to yourself, this does good to build a longer lasting relationship of trust between those sources and (in this case) the fan community.
Maybe I'm overly careful and correct in this, but that's how I see it.

As for 'back to normal' - that's not how a crisis works, I'm afraid.

Well the concert is not displayed on the website hosting the concert so that speaks volumes.

This is a community that helps each other so the person who gave the news I appreciate the clarity on the situation as I don’t want to book a hotel or trains when it’s not going ahead.
john45
Gold Member

Post by john45 »

Official or not, it seems pretty obvious the concert will not take place. Cancelled my hotel reservation and flight.
LordG

Post by LordG »

Where do you ask if you want information about an event? There are only two sources,
the organizer or the artist.
For me it is official information even if it is not on the website.

fan_de_LoK had received an e-mail informing him that the concert has been postponed
to 28.10.2020. That this e-mail was sent to a larger group of people was probably because
I had already asked about it before and they saw the necessity of publishing it.

I don't want to go into further details here, but I think that the new postponement will be
announced at the beginning of September, when everyone is back from vacation.
All Albums (CD+Vinyl) in my possession :oops: :D
maartendas
Diamond Member

Post by maartendas »

'Probably', 'I think', 'they'... that all sounds vague to me.
I would once again like to emphasise the importance of dealing respectfully and delicately with any information that is received.
Was the e-mail sent to you as well?
Did you get permission to share its contents publicly?
Why not simply wait for an official announcement? If waiting means people get in trouble with their travel bookings, is that your responsibility?
LordG

Post by LordG »

This e-mail was sent to me. So there is no 'Probably', 'I think', 'they'...

Since the email was sent by someone from the cathedral it is official.

I only assume a wider range of ppl will be noticed at the begin of September.
If you wish, you can also ask the officials at the cathedral to receive the same information in order to obtain evidence.
It is up to you. It is also up to you to use this information as you like. I don't care.
Perhaps there is someone who appreciates it when someone asks about the state of affairs.
This is my last word on this topic. :x :evil:
All Albums (CD+Vinyl) in my possession :oops: :D
dani
Diamond Member

Post by dani »

LordG wrote: <span title="Wed Aug 26, 2020 3:34 pm">3 years ago</span> This e-mail was sent to me. So there is no 'Probably', 'I think', 'they'...

Since the email was sent by someone from the cathedral it is official.

I only assume a wider range of ppl will be noticed at the begin of September.
If you wish, you can also ask the officials at the cathedral to receive the same information in order to obtain evidence.
It is up to you. It is also up to you to use this information as you like. I don't care.
Perhaps there is someone who appreciates it when someone asks about the state of affairs.
This is my last word on this topic. :x :evil:

Thanks for the clarity on the situation and it was nice of you to inform the forum as that’s why I like the forum as we help each other when we can.
maartendas
Diamond Member

Post by maartendas »

LordG wrote: <span title="Wed Aug 26, 2020 3:34 pm">3 years ago</span> This e-mail was sent to me. So there is no 'Probably', 'I think', 'they'...
I merely quoted words from your own previous post :wink:

I am not doubting the truth of your information - in fact, that is exactly why I went into this as much as I did. It simply shows respect to safeguard such details until the ones responsible for organising the concert decide to put the news out there.

Like dani said, we help eachother out on the Forum so if you really want to inform other fans, you can always send them a private message explaining what you read and how the information came to you.

It's nothing personal, by the way, just a matter of principle. Just as we help eachother out here, we also keep eachother in check, for the benefit of the fan community as a whole and our connection to Libera.
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

Maybe we could have another virtual concert? :D That would be amazing.
TimS_TheToolman

Post by TimS_TheToolman »

Surpinto wrote: <span title="Sat Aug 29, 2020 4:34 pm">3 years ago</span> Maybe we could have another virtual concert? :D That would be amazing.
Yeah, a Christmas Concert, perhaps. As was mentioned by someone, on Twitter I think(?), it would be interesting to hear them do "Ding Dong Merrily on High." I think that one would be a challenge to stitch all the parts together. :)
TimS_TheToolman

Post by TimS_TheToolman »

IMHO, 2020 is a wash for live concerts. I think the first half to 2021 is may be the same. Should there be a live concert in the UK in last half of this year, we in the States would not be able to enter the UK to attend, at least, not at this point in time. Thanks to our rising cases of COVID-19.

One concern I have, is that if in-person practice is not possible for an extended period of time, a number of the boys may leave. :(
TullyBascombe
Platinum Member

Post by TullyBascombe »

When they say that a vaccine may be available by the end of 2020 that doesn't mean that everyone will get vaccinated by the end of the year. What I've been seeing in medical articles is that healthcare personnel and first responders will be vaccinated first followed by the most high risk populations, i.e., nursing home patients and people with the most severe risk factors. Persons in jobs which make them particularly susceptible to spreading the disease also might be amongst the first in line to receive the vaccine. One article estimated that there might be 300 to 400 million doses ready by the end of 2020 worldwide, but remember that some agencies are considering booster doses may be needed within a few weeks after the initial dose. It is estimated that up to 8 billion doses could be manufactured by the end of 2021.
filiarheni
Gold Member

Post by filiarheni »

LordG wrote: <span title="Fri Aug 21, 2020 11:14 pm">3 years ago</span>If the spring concert 2020 is already postponed to spring 2021, it can probably be assumed that the Christmas concert 2020 will not take place either.
Yes, but due to the pandemic situation which may not be solved sufficiently until then, not for postponing a concert taking place in Ely, as Libera's Christmas concert would not take place there.

Still waiting for a message by Ely's box office about shifting the Aled Jones concert. A personal information would be nice, but probably they wait with that until they have, well, more or less fixed :| a new date.
"But in the dark and cold of things there always, always something sings"