New College Choir

Talk about other music related artists you like

Moderator: Moderators

Surpinto
Platinum Member

Re: New College Choir

Post by Surpinto »

Luckdragon wrote: <span title="Sat Apr 01, 2023 9:54 pm">1 year ago</span> Screenshot of the Grand Finale from today's Passiontide concert with both choirs. Saint Thomas is in orange, Oxford in red.
Actually, both are in red, but with Saint Thomas wearing a brighter color of red it does look more orange in contrast - but I can assure you it's red.

It was a great concert with them singing all around the church: at the front near the choir stalls, in the organ loft in the back, and also singing on both sides of the nave; with one piece being performed by both choirs together but with each choir being at opposite sides of the nave in the middle of the church. All highly unusual but meant to create a cool aural effect!

Good concert.

Interestingly, and in the audience, were the parents and grandparents of several New College choristers who flew in from the UK to see them; not only that but I overheard a teenager with an obviously English accent remark that he was a former chorister in New College. I imagine a younger sibling is a current member of the choir.
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

I suspect that St Thomas, being brash Americans, have used a particular shade of scarlet that has a tinge of orange and is only associated/allowed with Royal Peculiars (i.e. churches directly under authority of the Monarch) in England.

An example in the UK would be the choir of Westminster Abbey. The late Queen was known to tell choirs to stop wearing that colour if she found any Anglican choirs wearing it.
If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

Yorkie wrote: <span title="Tue Apr 04, 2023 9:25 pm">1 year ago</span> I suspect that St Thomas, being brash Americans, have used a particular shade of scarlet that has a tinge of orange and is only associated/allowed with Royal Peculiars (i.e. churches directly under authority of the Monarch) in England.

An example in the UK would be the choir of Westminster Abbey. The late Queen was known to tell choirs to stop wearing that colour if she found any Anglican choirs wearing it.
Really?! I had never heard of this before! :shock:

I bet that their robe color choices predate any enforcement of the matter if this article I found is of any basis in reality.

Interesting factoid for sure.
TullyBascombe
Platinum Member

Post by TullyBascombe »

I remember wearing red robe when I was a crucifer, then an acolyte at a small Episcopal church. Red or scarlet robes are favored during advent. Often it boils down to what is available from church supply vendors, most of whom, have no idea what the regulations in the UK are. Also I think the Constitution prohibits us from obeying royal decrees.
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

TullyBascombe wrote: <span title="Wed Apr 05, 2023 4:25 am">1 year ago</span> I remember wearing red robe when I was a crucifer, then an acolyte at a small Episcopal church. Red or scarlet robes are favored during advent. Often it boils down to what is available from church supply vendors, most of whom, have no idea what the regulations in the UK are. Also I think the Constitution prohibits us from obeying royal decrees.
You and your constitution, look where that has got you 😂

To be fair it isn't that UK choirs can't wear red, many do like New College, it is the particular shade of scarlet worn by St Thomas that was frowned upon by her late Maj.

Off with their heads I say.

Mercy & Love
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

Surpinto wrote: <span title="Wed Apr 05, 2023 12:18 am">1 year ago</span>

I bet that their robe color choices predate any enforcement of the matter if this article I found is of any basis in reality.

I'm not just a pretty face you know.

Mercy & Love
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

Yorkie wrote: <span title="Wed Apr 05, 2023 4:16 pm">1 year ago</span> You and your constitution, look where that has got you 😂

Off with their heads I say.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Yorkie wrote: <span title="Wed Apr 05, 2023 4:17 pm">1 year ago</span>
Surpinto wrote: <span title="Wed Apr 05, 2023 12:18 am">1 year ago</span>

I'm not just a pretty face you know.
At least now we know that one of us has a pretty face. :mrgreen: