New College Choir

Talk about other music related artists you like

Moderator: Moderators

Yorkie
Diamond Member

New College Choir

Post by Yorkie »

New College choir under under their former choirmaster Edward Higginbottom is my favourite traditional choir. In his final year a French team decided to make a documentary about his time at New College and you can buy the documentary on Vimeo until the end of December and I can highly recommend it.

Along with the main film there are several bonus items, one of which is a performance given by the choristers, mainly solo, but this duet stood out to me so I thought I'd share it:

If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Re: New College Choir

Post by Surpinto »

Thank you! I highly recommend this documentary. The music is excellent and the way that Higginbottom nurtures musical talents in his chorister pupils is truly inspiring.
Celtic

Post by Celtic »

This was a great documentary and well worth buying. I also loved the extras such as that Soloists Concert, which featured E. Bennet, the last chorister to be auditioned by Higginbottom, according to his mother. (It also featured Steven Grahl on piano, who is now director of Church Church Cathedral Choir!) Bennet later went on to share the Allegri Miserere solos with Archie W. in the Liverpool Cathedral Choristers of Britain concert. So, Higginbottom certainly knew how to spot a good singer!
► Show Spoiler
I'm not entirely convinced that the new director Robert Q. is as good as Higginbottom. He does still get a good sound out of them but their last concert in London back in 2019 was a bit disorganised with several last minute changes to the programme.
► Show Spoiler
The three choirs concert in March was sublime, but then by its nature it wasn't possible to assess the individual choirs. Only Bach's Oratorio in Oxford this Christmas, which doesn't appeal to me. It does state in that event description that Robert has been on sabbatical, so hopefully next year might see New College return to London.
► Show Spoiler
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

Thanks for the update on their progress. I saw them on their US tour in 2019 and they were amazing under Quinney, one of the best choral concerts I've attended in terms of a combination of music selection and singing quality. They sang two of my absolute favorites: the "Sicut Cervus" by Palestrina and the "Miserere" by Allegri in one concert! Aside from the difficulty of singing those particular compositions, the performance was outstanding and first rate. I have yet to hear those bettered live, and that concert still remains as one of my most treasured concert memories.

Even with Libera, which I have seen live 5 times, only one concert really hit it out the park like that for me: Ely 2018. The 2014 DC concert was great, but I had really lousy seats which decreases the impact to some extent.

Also, New College will be having a US tour in April. Personally, I will be attending their joint concert with the Saint Thomas Choir of Men and Boys on April 1 (no April fool's joke I assure you :lol: ). Though the music selection remains a mystery. They have a solo concert at Saint Thomas as well, but seems it limited in scope, more like a mini-concert so I'm going to have to pass.
Celtic

Post by Celtic »

Surpinto wrote: <span title="Tue Nov 22, 2022 12:15 pm">1 year ago</span> Also, New College will be having a US tour in April. Personally, I will be attending their joint concert with the Saint Thomas Choir of Men and Boys on April 1 (no April fool's joke I assure you :lol: ). Though the music selection remains a mystery. They have a solo concert at Saint Thomas as well, but seems it limited in scope, more like a mini-concert so I'm going to have to pass.
I would fully expect that joint concert to be amazing! I am very jealous. :D
Luckdragon
Gold Member

Post by Luckdragon »

Celtic wrote: <span title="Tue Nov 22, 2022 12:52 pm">1 year ago</span>
Surpinto wrote: <span title="Tue Nov 22, 2022 12:15 pm">1 year ago</span> Also, New College will be having a US tour in April. Personally, I will be attending their joint concert with the Saint Thomas Choir of Men and Boys on April 1 (no April fool's joke I assure you :lol: ). Though the music selection remains a mystery. They have a solo concert at Saint Thomas as well, but seems it limited in scope, more like a mini-concert so I'm going to have to pass.
There's a possibility they'll also participate in a Eucharist or Evensong. Those are live streamed.
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

Luckdragon wrote: <span title="Tue Nov 22, 2022 6:13 pm">1 year ago</span>
Celtic wrote: <span title="Tue Nov 22, 2022 12:52 pm">1 year ago</span>
There's a possibility they'll also participate in a Eucharist or Evensong. Those are live streamed.
Both concerts are also livestreamed! :wink: Digital tickets for the joint event are "pay-as-you-wish" which translates to free tickets but with a request for donations. The mini-concert by New College is $10. Be sure to register so that you are sent the livestream link.

I expect you both to be attending this event with me virtually. :wink: I'll likely go in person.
Luckdragon
Gold Member

Post by Luckdragon »

Surpinto wrote: <span title="Tue Nov 22, 2022 7:08 pm">1 year ago</span> I expect you both to be attending this event with me virtually. :wink: I'll likely go in person.
Just purchased my tickets along with "Christmas on Fifth Avenue". Thanks for sharing.
bachmahlerfan

Post by bachmahlerfan »

Speaking of the Albinoni "Adagio" being arranged for voices, has anybody heard this particular version? This is a very grand arrangement, while Libera's version looks to be more 'intimate' in style.

Celtic

Post by Celtic »

bachmahlerfan wrote: <span title="Mon Dec 05, 2022 9:19 pm">1 year ago</span> Speaking of the Albinoni "Adagio" being arranged for voices, has anybody heard this particular version? This is a very grand arrangement, while Libera's version looks to be more 'intimate' in style.
I was just about to reply in the other thread! Nice recording! I wasn't aware of it, but it has a fantastic sound, thanks. :D
bachmahlerfan

Post by bachmahlerfan »

Celtic wrote: <span title="Mon Dec 05, 2022 9:24 pm">1 year ago</span>
bachmahlerfan wrote: <span title="Mon Dec 05, 2022 9:19 pm">1 year ago</span> Speaking of the Albinoni "Adagio" being arranged for voices, has anybody heard this particular version? This is a very grand arrangement, while Libera's version looks to be more 'intimate' in style.
I was just about to reply in the other thread! Nice recording! I wasn't aware of it, but it has a fantastic sound, thanks. :D
Sorry, I decided to move it here because the concert thread already has a lot of posts.
Celtic

Post by Celtic »

bachmahlerfan wrote: <span title="Mon Dec 05, 2022 9:27 pm">1 year ago</span> Sorry, I decided to move it here because the concert thread already has a lot of posts.
Well, it's a better place for it otherwise it would get lost in the concert thread and New College Oxford have some fantastic recordings, like that one, which deserve attention!
bachmahlerfan

Post by bachmahlerfan »

Celtic wrote: <span title="Mon Dec 05, 2022 9:30 pm">1 year ago</span>
bachmahlerfan wrote: <span title="Mon Dec 05, 2022 9:27 pm">1 year ago</span> Sorry, I decided to move it here because the concert thread already has a lot of posts.
Well, it's a better place for it otherwise it would get lost in the concert thread and New College Oxford have some fantastic recordings, like that one, which deserve attention!
I really should refer to it as the "Albinoni/Giazotto" Adagio. Giazotto claimed to find a fragment of a manuscript of Albinoni's music and expanded it into a full composition. Eventually, Giazotto took full credit for the piece, so the fragment may have never existed. Here's a brief explanation about that: https://www.britannica.com/topic/Adagio-in-G-Minor
Luckdragon
Gold Member

Post by Luckdragon »

REMINDER: The Choir of New College Oxford begins their concert at Saint Thomas Church Fifth Avenue in less than an hour (at 7:30 PM New York time, 12:30 AM London time.)

Tickets (10.00 USD): https://ci.ovationtix.com/35174/product ... d=11105778
Luckdragon
Gold Member

Post by Luckdragon »

Screenshot of the Grand Finale from today's Passiontide concert with both choirs. Saint Thomas is in orange, Oxford in red.
► Show Spoiler

Some background on each choir from the leaflet...

THE CHOIR OF NEW COLLEGE OXFORD:
► Show Spoiler

THE SAINT THOMAS CHOIR OF MEN AND BOYS:
► Show Spoiler