2020 Tour Speculation

Talk about Libera here in.

Moderator: Moderators

bachmahlerfan

2020 Tour Speculation

Post by bachmahlerfan »

This has been on my mind a lot today, so I figured it would be a good time to start this topic. I haven't heard anything yet regarding a tour during the half term break in February, so I'm wondering if anything will happen during that time. I thought one of their recent tours to the Philippines had a rather late announcement, so who knows. They haven't had a tour during their main "Spring" break since 2016 when they visited Korea (with the infamous high note challenge featured on a Korean tv show). So, I think a tour during April is a strong possibility. Beyond that, the half term break in late Spring is anybody's guess. Nick indicated that Libera would not return to the United States in Summer of 2020, unless they received some unexpected major sponsorship. I know there are Libera fans such as JimmyRiddlez who regularly scour the web looking for future concerts, and I haven't heard anything from them as of yet.
maartendas
Diamond Member

Re: 2020 Tour Speculation

Post by maartendas »

It's anybody's guess at this point.
Some fans I spoke to in London mentioned the hope of a return to mainland Europe. I was told that Libera is usually open for suggestions for venues to sing in.

For now I'm still in the afterglow of the Christmas concert... :wink:
You raise me high beyond the sky
Through stormy night lifting me above
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

I agree, a Spring tour is more likely at this point given the timelines. The US is probably out as you say which is fine because the boys should and ought to visit other countries and see things they have not seen before. They have come here 3 years in a row and, while the US is a large and varied place, the boys ought to be exposed other countries and cultures around the world.

I hope that they do more concerts across the British Isles and in continental Europe for the benefit of their many fans there. I would be unlikely to attend such concerts due to cost/distance but it is not all about me....or is it. :lol:
bachmahlerfan

Post by bachmahlerfan »

I think a tour of Italy in April would be great, but I don't know if there are enough supporters with money to spare to bring Libera there. I realize that there are far more northern European than southern European members on this forum, but I think a tour to those areas would be better in the Summer. Well, maybe there would be the danger of singing in some church without air conditioning on a hot day, but they've already had experience with that.
seraphita
Silver Member

Post by seraphita »

It would be spectacular if Libera would give a concert in Paris, it would be best in the Sacre Coeur. Notre Dame would also be phenomenal, but of course that is not possible now. No doubt there are other beautiful churches in Paris that are very suitable for a Libera performance.
[]_________[]_________[]

Forever //*\\ Anima Christi
hiskeys
Silver Member

Post by hiskeys »

It sounds like it usually involves either fan base or money (or both).

In the Far East, they can sometimes fill 2,000 seat halls, so the money is not as much of an issue. And in the US, they can appeal to a largely Christian base, and get by with churches/cathedrals (recently at least), coupled with some subsidy from certain generous supporters.

As they've mentioned also, distance between cities in the US poses additional costs, vs. for example being able to do two concerts in the same city, like Tokyo. Europe would seem to have major cities close enough together for a tour. I believe Germany, however, has a number of boy choir groups already vying for attention.

There might be some other miscellaneous support - weren't they considered ambassadors on at least one of the Philippine tours? And wasn't there some kind of short relationship with the Norwegian Cruise Line? (Seems like they could almost be sponsored by Subway by now!)

Recently, I mentioned the possibility of participating in choir festivals like the World Choir Games. Next July it's in Flanders, Belgium. But I'm not sure if Libera would already be considered too professional for that (unfair competition); although Drakensberg participated in the last one. Plus it doesn't pay anything. So they would most likely need to coordinate it with a few concerts as well.

Arrangements for media exposure while on tour always help, too. I'm thinking of the PBS TV airing of the Washington DC concert; Jay Leno, Today Show, etc.
bamboo
Silver Member

Post by bamboo »

I emailed Licha Stelaus Productions last year to ask if they would consider bring Libera back to Singapore and this was what they replied on 12/11/18:
Hi! Thank you for subscribing and your message. Yes our company has been in touch with Libera to bring them back in Singapore. However it is more likely in 2020 as Esplanade Theatre has already been booked out. We brought them to Taiwan and Korea in 2013 as well as Korea in 2016. We'll keep our fans posted. Thanks again!
Hoping they really do bring Libera back to Singapore! Keeping my fingers crossed!
bachmahlerfan

Post by bachmahlerfan »

bamboo wrote: <span title="Tue Dec 17, 2019 1:45 pm">4 years ago</span> I emailed Licha Stelaus Productions last year to ask if they would consider bring Libera back to Singapore and this was what they replied on 12/11/18:
Hi! Thank you for subscribing and your message. Yes our company has been in touch with Libera to bring them back in Singapore. However it is more likely in 2020 as Esplanade Theatre has already been booked out. We brought them to Taiwan and Korea in 2013 as well as Korea in 2016. We'll keep our fans posted. Thanks again!
Hoping they really do bring Libera back to Singapore! Keeping my fingers crossed!
Well, that's interesting, and since they haven't been back to Singapore or Taiwan for quite a while, it sounds like a good possibility. The heat and humidity during the summer in Taiwan are miserable (and the threat from typhoons is significant), so April would probably be a better time to go there. Singapore is hot and humid almost all the time, so it makes less difference there.
Prototype

Post by Prototype »

I'm hoping they come and visit the south west of England again sometime soon. Finances and lack of own transport make it difficult for me to travel long distances to see them.
bachmahlerfan

Post by bachmahlerfan »

I was wondering how the Holy Thursday to Easter Sunday time frame might affect their Spring tour possibilities this year since Easter Sunday will fall right in the middle of Spring break. However, I see that in 2015 they were touring the U.S. during Easter weekend, so I guess anything is possible. Otherwise, they might go on a short tour in the days immediately following Easter Sunday.
TullyBascombe
Platinum Member

Post by TullyBascombe »

In the "Concerts and public appearances" section it has been announced that Libera will perform at Ely Cathedral on June 6.
bachmahlerfan

Post by bachmahlerfan »

I'm kind of glad that Libera isn't touring in February, especially not to the Far East, considering the situation with the Wuhan virus. If they are planning a tour in April, I hope this doesn't affect it too much.