New CD "Christmas with LIBERA" in 2019

Talk about Libera CD/DVD

Moderator: Moderators

justin

Re: New CD "Christmas with LIBERA" in 2019

Post by justin »

Padmachou wrote: <span title="Sat Oct 26, 2019 12:02 pm">4 years ago</span>
justin wrote: <span title="Sat Oct 26, 2019 10:25 am">4 years ago</span>
Padmachou wrote: <span title="Sat Oct 26, 2019 10:15 am">4 years ago</span> And who is the second voice in Walking in the air ? Japon tour experience welcome :mrgreen:
The second is Ben B. Then Matthias who joined in. After that Victor (replaced by Daniel in the 2nd concert in Tokyo) and Dominik :)
Are you talking about Walking in the Air or Silent Night ? This group is the Silent Night one if I do not mistake...
Oh right haha, I didn't realise you were talking about Walking in the Air, I thought your question was a follow up to Bamboo's question about Silent Night. I can't recall who the 2nd voice was unfortunately :( (sounded like Daniel or Dominik on the CD) Others may remember.
bachmahlerfan

Post by bachmahlerfan »

The international release of this album doesn't mention a harpist either. So, I think the only reasonable explanation is that the harp sound we hear is produced by a synthesizer, unless they used a guitar with an electric hook-up that can make it sound like a harp, but I highly doubt it. I listened to it in comparison to the harp used in the "Beyond" album, and it doesn't quite sound the same. There is a refinement in the sound of the harp from "Beyond" which is lacking in the "harp" used in this album.
bachmahlerfan

Post by bachmahlerfan »

I don't know much about this website, but you can download high resolution audio files of the international release. It's $12.79 for the whole album. You can't purchase individual tracks however. I'm not sure how this price compares to the high-resolution downloads of the Japanese version from ototoy.jp mentioned earlier in this thread.
https://www.prostudiomasters.com/album/page/43671
LiberaLove

Post by LiberaLove »

I’m a huge huge Libera fan all the way from Alaska USA. I really like the album. My favorites are Walking in the Air and Do You Hear What I Hear. However, the overall tone has a different feel compared to the 2012 first original Christmas album. This new album is more complex, has many new amazing instruments and group involvement. The sound is a lot richer but it has so much happening.

Honestly, I kind of miss Robert Prizeman’s interpretation - It’s simpler and has more individualized solos. Both albums are very beautiful and unique in their own ways.

Love, love Libera and will always continue to listen to them as new generations and composers join in. 😃
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

bachmahlerfan wrote: <span title="Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:32 pm">4 years ago</span> I don't know much about this website, but you can download high resolution audio files of the international release. It's $12.79 for the whole album. You can't purchase individual tracks however. I'm not sure how this price compares to the high-resolution downloads of the Japanese version from ototoy.jp mentioned earlier in this thread.
Thanks for this. It makes me happy to see that we can now easily buy high-quality downloads of Libera's music.
LiberaLove wrote: <span title="Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:54 am">4 years ago</span> I’m a huge huge Libera fan all the way from Alaska USA. I really like the album. My favorites are Walking in the Air and Do You Hear What I Hear. However, the overall tone has a different feel compared to the 2012 first original Christmas album. This new album is more complex, has many new amazing instruments and group involvement. The sound is a lot richer but it has so much happening.

Honestly, I kind of miss Robert Prizeman’s interpretation - It’s simpler and has more individualized solos. Both albums are very beautiful and unique in their own ways.

Love, love Libera and will always continue to listen to them as new generations and composers join in. 😃
Welcome to Libera Dreams! :D The songs you like are definitely good ones, as is the entirety of the album. As you correctly point out it is markedly different in feel from the 2011 album. Have you been a Libera fan long? We would love to get to know you better and read more of what you have to say about any and all aspects of Libera's music. Care to make a formal introduction here? :wink:
filiarheni
Gold Member

Post by filiarheni »

LiberaLove wrote: <span title="Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:54 am">4 years ago</span> I really like the album. [...] However, the overall tone has a different feel compared to the 2012 first original Christmas album. This new album is more complex, has many new amazing instruments and group involvement. The sound is a lot richer but it has so much happening.

There lie many years between these albums and some development/change has taken place. Look at the huge difference between "Luminosa" and "Hope". They are so different that I can't even compare; "Luminosa" is my favourite Libera album, but "Hope" is no less excellent. The good and calming thing is that, while Libera treads new grounds, they stay true to themselves within that. For me, this the most important for me, although I wish, if they took Vespera into a concert one day, they would stick to the really perfect "Luminosa" arrangement.
"But in the dark and cold of things there always, always something sings"
chris17

Post by chris17 »

I finally listened to the album in full this morning. :D I’ve been waiting for the international release of the album, and finally pre-ordered the CD when it showed up on Amazon US. However, in the US, apparently the physical CD isn’t being released until Dec. 13, even though the digital version became available yesterday. I decided I couldn’t wait anymore, so I bought the digital version, even though it means I’ll be buying the album twice. So here is my review. :D

I was initially a little skeptical about a third Christmas album, although of course I was excited about a new album regardless. I was a bit concerned that it would be too similar to the other two, and that it would rely too heavily on previous recordings and arrangements. I was more hopeful after looking at the set list and seeing quite a few pieces which hadn’t been previously recorded, or otherwise hadn’t been recorded since Angel Voices.

After listening to it, I’m very impressed overall. It’s definitely my favorite of their three Christmas albums. I have a lot of non-Libera Christmas albums as well, so I appreciate that this album has some unique arrangements that aren’t like anything I’ve heard elsewhere (e.g., Ding Dong, I Saw Three Ships, Noel Nouvelet), as well as a wide variety of songs that you might not normally find on the same album. There might be another album somewhere where you can find Poor Little Jesus and The Angel Gabriel on the same album, but if so, I’m definitely not aware of it.

The whole album is well done, but my top three songs are definitely Noel Nouvelet, Poor Little Jesus, and O Little Town of Bethlehem.

In Dulci Jubilo
I like this version the best out of their three versions; I think it sounds more enthusiastic and the harmonies are clearer.

Walking in the Air
Luca’s solo is fantastic. I like how they kept the solo aspect of the song, but also involved the rest of the choir.

Ding Dong Merrily On High
I was a little skeptical about this song (at least before hearing the samples) because most choral versions that I’ve heard tend to be fairly slow, so I really appreciate the upbeat tempo. Although the arrangement might take a little getting used to, I like that it’s very unique and it really shows off Libera’s abilities. They sing it at a pretty impressive tempo given the complexity of the piece.

In the Bleak Midwinter
This is beautiful, and I love Dominik’s solo.

Noel Nouvelet
This is one of my favorites from the album. I love how the harmonies and instrumentation change throughout the piece, and none of the verses are quite the same.

Once In Royal David’s City
This isn’t a particular favorite of mine, especially since Libera also recorded it on both of their previous Christmas albums, but I still appreciate hearing new soloists at the beginning.

I Saw Three Ships
I really like this piece as well. Kind of like Noel Nouvelet, the song keeps moving from one part to the next, and I like that it's a more upbeat arrangement.

What Child Is This
I preferred the intro from the Christmas in Ireland recording; the guitar added a really nice touch. This is still a nice version, though, and I like the additional high notes during the final verse.

Sing Lullaby (The Infant King)
I wasn’t familiar with this piece before, but I’m really enjoying it. The lyrics about the passion and resurrection are an interesting contrast with the gentle lullaby sound. I also love Dominik’s solo.

Carol of the Bells
This fits in well with the rest of the album and I think it was a good choice to include it on the album, even though the recording is not new.

Wexford Carol
I’m glad to have this song on the set list even though it’s been recorded before, since it’s not a very common carol and it has a very interesting melody. I do appreciate that this is a new recording. Tadgh’s solo gives the song a slightly different character, I think.

O Little Town of Bethlehem
I was quite surprised (and thrilled) to find out that Libera was recording the American tune of this carol. I grew up with this tune and I’ve always loved it, but I wouldn't have expected Libera to record it. I was a little surprised to hear that some people really don’t like this one, but I guess the world would be boring if everyone had the same opinions about everything. :wink: For my part, I’m thoroughly enjoying it. :) Oliver sounds amazing on the solo – it’s definitely my favorite solo on the album. He has a lovely voice and it's very well suited to the song. They also nailed all the harmonies. The song sounds just like it’s supposed to, with just enough Libera touch to make it special.

The Angel Gabriel
I like the arrangement on this piece. With the solos and harmonies, it’s more interesting and less repetitive than the standard arrangement I’ve heard. Victor did a nice job with the solos on this one.

Poor Little Jesus
This one is fantastic – definitely a standout song. I love how Libera can take a piece from a very different style and absolutely nail it. And Luca’s solo is very moving.

I have to say, though - while I agree with everyone else who loves Poor Little Jesus, it does seem strange to me that this piece is universally praised, while O Little Town seems to be receiving some mixed reviews. I would have expected that my American ears would like both pieces, but I’m a little surprised that they’re received so differently by everyone else. But I do think it's a good thing that this song is so well received. They definitely did a great job on it. :)

Gaudete
I’m not sure we needed another recording of Gaudete, but I'm happy to hear a solo by Samuel-Francis. Plus, with 16 new recordings on the album in total, I can’t really complain too much.

Silent Night
I love this version of Silent Night. Even though I really like the instrumentation on most of the album, it’s nice to have a break from it with a well-arranged a cappella piece like this. And even though Libera has recorded Silent Night before, the new arrangement makes it feel almost like a brand new piece.

Do You Hear What I Hear?
I was looking forward to this piece and it did turn out pretty well, although I didn’t feel like the arrangement was particularly unique. I’ve heard similar harmonies and instrumentation elsewhere. I think it would have been better if the entire first verse was a solo, and perhaps if some more unique harmonies were added to some of the verses. Nevertheless, I’m happy they included it on the album and they did sing it well, and I really like the climactic final verse.
filiarheni
Gold Member

Post by filiarheni »

Thank you, Chris17, for your review, which frequently matches my own opinion! 

As one of those yet on the dislike side of O Little Town of Bethlehem :wink: I'll try to reply to your question about the difference in liking this one and Poor Little Jesus.

chris17 wrote: <span title="Sun Nov 17, 2019 12:28 am">4 years ago</span>
I have to say, though - while I agree with everyone else who loves Poor Little Jesus, it does seem strange to me that this piece is universally praised, while O Little Town seems to be receiving some mixed reviews. I would have expected that my American ears would like both pieces, but I’m a little surprised that they’re received so differently by everyone else.
You said you grew up with the melody of the first one. Perhaps there is something in my past as well that is connected to this kind of harmonies, like - for example - Vespera causes an extremely positive, though unspecific flashback to former times, which happens each and every time, purely unconsciously, and in the one like in the other song I have no idea why. 
As for the difference in reception to Poor Little Jesus: As mentioned in my review earlier, it's the harmonies (= chords, is this the more fitting word?) which cause an unpleasant feeling in me, similar to Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas. I find something sentimental in it, while Poor Little Jesus seems direct, plain - simply more honest to me.

I'd like to emphasise that this is my very personal feeling, therefore please, do not feel offended by this. Musical reception comes from a complex get-together of all kind of aspects, reaching from mere facts to the most personal emotions, seeming to arise out of the nowhere, and it can result in such individual, even contrasting feelings. I love to see where liking/disliking a song comes from, that is highly interesting from the point of view of music psychology. 

But I can well say that I agree with you saying that Libera makes O Little Town of Bethlehem special. I don't dislike the song throughout, the arrangement is very good, and I do enjoy the Libera sound. Still, the harmony (chord) issue remains for me, but this is not Libera's fault.

As said before, I also agree in large parts with your other views, particularly on Walking in the Air and the importance of the choir part, the contrast in Sing Lullaby which is subliminally disquieting and therefore even more touching in a very precious way, or the uniqueness of Silent Night among the other songs on this album.
"But in the dark and cold of things there always, always something sings"
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

chris17 wrote: <span title="Sun Nov 17, 2019 12:28 am">4 years ago</span> O Little Town of Bethlehem
I was quite surprised (and thrilled) to find out that Libera was recording the American tune of this carol. I grew up with this tune and I’ve always loved it, but I wouldn't have expected Libera to record it. I was a little surprised to hear that some people really don’t like this one, but I guess the world would be boring if everyone had the same opinions about everything. :wink: For my part, I’m thoroughly enjoying it. :) Oliver sounds amazing on the solo – it’s definitely my favorite solo on the album. He has a lovely voice and it's very well suited to the song. They also nailed all the harmonies. The song sounds just like it’s supposed to, with just enough Libera touch to make it special.

I have to say, though - while I agree with everyone else who loves Poor Little Jesus, it does seem strange to me that this piece is universally praised, while O Little Town seems to be receiving some mixed reviews. I would have expected that my American ears would like both pieces, but I’m a little surprised that they’re received so differently by everyone else. But I do think it's a good thing that this song is so well received. They definitely did a great job on it. :)
I think the key thing here is that you grew up with the tune and loved it. I grew up with a different tune and that is the one that I associate with the song, so the American version just isn't Christmas for me. I find it too slow to be honest but yes, the singing is excellent so I can appreciate the song.
If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

bachmahlerfan wrote: <span title="Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:32 pm">4 years ago</span> I don't know much about this website, but you can download high resolution audio files of the international release. It's $12.79 for the whole album. You can't purchase individual tracks however. I'm not sure how this price compares to the high-resolution downloads of the Japanese version from ototoy.jp mentioned earlier in this thread.
I think that is way cheaper than the Japanese site.
If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

Thank you Chris for your review! I'm definitely on the "O Little Town of Bethlehem" bandwagon with you, I like that song a lot. I have no specific childhood memories of the piece and like it only on its own merits. Thank you for writing such a detailed album review, it was good fun to read. :D
chris17

Post by chris17 »

Thanks to all of you for sharing your thoughts on O Little Town of Bethlehem! It's just interesting to me how everyone's musical taste is different, for whatever reason it may be, and how we react to some songs in such a similar way and others very differently. And no worries, filiarheni - I'm not at all offended that you're not a big fan of O Little Town of Bethlehem. :wink: Like I said, the world would be boring if everyone had the same opinions about everything! :)
Padmachou
Silver Member

Post by Padmachou »

I love O Little Town of Bethlehem too ! :D Oliver's solo stroke me even on the little extracts we got before the album was released. Well, I think very highly of Oliver's voice, but also that song that is brand new to me touched me. I am a little curious about the "american version", there seems to be two different versions of the song ? Could you give links to those ? :)

Otherwise, I agree on most of your review ! My tops are I saw three ships, Noel Nouvelet, Walking in the air, and Poor Little Jesus. But I really like all the songs except maybe for "Sing Lullaby", which curiously is praised by everyone :mrgreen: I appreciate the quality, but just can get in the tempo and harmonies, I don't know why. But if I do not mistake, like it usually does, it will grow on me and especially when I will hear it live ! :lol:
Libera did an amazing job on this album ! I think it is my favorite of their Christmas Albums. :D :D :D

Curious thing, too : I am very fond of Headlight / Taillight ! I found the harmonies are particularly fitting Libera, and can't stop to listen to it.
chris17

Post by chris17 »

Padmachou wrote: <span title="Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:34 pm">4 years ago</span> I love O Little Town of Bethlehem too ! :D Oliver's solo stroke me even on the little extracts we got before the album was released. Well, I think very highly of Oliver's voice, but also that song that is brand new to me touched me. I am a little curious about the "american version", there seems to be two different versions of the song ? Could you give links to those ? :)
Here's a link to the Vaughan Williams version, by King's College Choir:
[BBvideo=560,315]

[/BBvideo]

The American tune is technically called the "St. Louis" tune, and it's the one Libera sings on the album. I'm not going to try to find a video that tops Libera's version, but here's a Wiki article that talks a little more about the two versions, which also has a playable version of both tunes: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/O_Little_ ... _Bethlehem
fan_de_LoK
Diamond Member

Post by fan_de_LoK »

Padmachou wrote:Curious thing, too : I am very fond of Headlight / Taillight ! I found the harmonies are particularly fitting Libera, and can't stop to listen to it.
I share your feeling on that song :)
Have you tried to listed the original Japanese song ? It is nicely soft and very pleasant too :)

Miyuki Nakajima, “Headlight Taillight”