New CD "Christmas with LIBERA" in 2019

Talk about Libera CD/DVD

Moderator: Moderators

Padmachou
Silver Member

Re: New CD "Christmas with LIBERA" in 2019

Post by Padmachou »

I did not mentionned but I was pretty sure that Ding Dong Merrily on High would make it to the setlist, unlike most. But I have been a huge supporter from even before Sam Coates wrote the arrangement :lol: I suggested on the french website that he should try it and clearly he took my advice 8) And I was sure it would be a success for the boys and a stage performance.
I am surprised on the contrary that Noël Nouvelet isn't performed during that tour.

filiarheni wrote: <span title="Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:18 pm">4 years ago</span>
I also admire how the boys are able to pack all of that into a tight time plan: rehearse for the concerts, rehearse for the album, the concerts/tours, the recordings, plus their church duties including further rehearsing and all of that on a super-high level. :wink: Wow!
And not to mention that some (all ?) of them sing in other choirs, practice instruments, play football and all... I would like a peak at one of them schedules !

Benedictus Deus has various disadvantages compared to Ding Dong, although it is technically not such a challenge for them : I am not sure they own the rights to perform it on stage, and it is not as much an easily-accessible christmas song. Plus, it would strongly rely on a soloist.
TullyBascombe
Platinum Member

Post by TullyBascombe »

Surpinto wrote: <span title="Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:30 am">4 years ago</span>
TullyBascombe wrote: <span title="Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:22 am">4 years ago</span> So the physical CD is available also? I thought that only the digital downloads were available?
Only the Japanese version has been released as a physical CD or download. Regardless of format, you can only get the music from Japan at this time. The international version (CD or download) is unavailable until November 15.
How is the Japanese version different other than titles being in Japanese?
fan_de_LoK
Diamond Member

Post by fan_de_LoK »

TullyBascombe wrote: How is the Japanese version different other than titles being in Japanese?
Same tracks. Order differs.
Read my 1st message on the 1st page of this subject, it summerizes all.
Liberation
Silver Member

Post by Liberation »

I got my "Christmas with Libera" CD today !! Also with the Christmas card (but a different photo) Ludwig1874 is talking about.
I got mine on cdjapan.co.jp
I'm delighted ! Nice present, thanks to Libera.
Liberation
Silver Member

Post by Liberation »

bachmahlerfan wrote: <span title="Sat Oct 19, 2019 12:04 am">4 years ago</span>
Surpinto wrote: <span title="Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:37 pm">4 years ago</span>
bachmahlerfan wrote: <span title="Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:02 pm">4 years ago</span> I just received my CD this afternoon, which is sooner than I expected! I have one question regarding the instruments. I thought there was a harp playing in "Walking in the Air" and possibly a couple other songs, but in the credits the only hand-plucked instrument mentioned is a guitar. There is no mention of a harpist.
I thought I heard a classical guitar on "Wexford Carol" but I was not sure and didn't mention it. It was definitely used in the Ireland live recording as you can see it at 1:08. A versatile instrument that should be used more. :D

I wouldn't be surprised if that's a classical guitar in "Wexford Carol". I'm wondering if the harp sounds I hear in other songs come from a synthesizer which uses sampling of a real harp.
The credits mentioned "Strings" - played by Project Instrumental, first mentioned on the album Beyond. Sometimes strings were used by the finger picking style which could sound like a harp maybe.
bachmahlerfan

Post by bachmahlerfan »

Liberation wrote: <span title="Wed Oct 23, 2019 1:42 am">4 years ago</span>
Surpinto wrote: <span title="Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:37 pm">4 years ago</span>

I thought I heard a classical guitar on "Wexford Carol" but I was not sure and didn't mention it. It was definitely used in the Ireland live recording as you can see it at 1:08. A versatile instrument that should be used more. :D

I wouldn't be surprised if that's a classical guitar in "Wexford Carol". I'm wondering if the harp sounds I hear in other songs come from a synthesizer which uses sampling of a real harp.
The credits mentioned "Strings" - played by Project Instrumental, first mentioned on the album Beyond. Sometimes strings were used by the finger picking style which could sound like a harp maybe.
If you listen to the early parts of "Walking in the Air", the plucked instrument has way too much reverberation to be a cello, violin, etc. The strings on a harp vibrate for a much longer time than those instruments. The gentle sound of the instrument also suggests that it's a harp.
Liberation
Silver Member

Post by Liberation »

bachmahlerfan wrote: <span title="Wed Oct 23, 2019 1:55 am">4 years ago</span>
Liberation wrote: <span title="Wed Oct 23, 2019 1:42 am">4 years ago</span>

If you listen to the early parts of "Walking in the Air", the plucked instrument has way too much reverberation to be a cello, violin, etc. The strings on a harp vibrate for a much longer time than those instruments. The gentle sound of the instrument also suggests that it's a harp.
You got a point there. But it doesn't sound like a keyboard-harp either. In my opinion.
Lets assume they have forgotten it to mention.
filiarheni
Gold Member

Post by filiarheni »

Liberation wrote: <span title="Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:35 pm">4 years ago</span>
bachmahlerfan wrote: <span title="Wed Oct 23, 2019 1:55 am">4 years ago</span> If you listen to the early parts of "Walking in the Air", the plucked instrument has way too much reverberation to be a cello, violin, etc. The strings on a harp vibrate for a much longer time than those instruments. The gentle sound of the instrument also suggests that it's a harp.
You got a point there. But it doesn't sound like a keyboard-harp either. In my opinion.
Lets assume they have forgotten it to mention.
I make out a harp sound as well in several songs, quite exposed at times, but the missing credits confuse me, too. I remember that with "Beyond" the international version lacked the second soloist's name of Do Not Stand, but it appeared in the Japanese one. That's why I had decided to wait for the second release of this Christmas album to see if that had happened again. However, missing an instrument of which such extended use was made would be hard to believe.

I agree with both of you that a strings' plucking (pizzicato) is not able to produce a harp sound. But what about a special type of guitar or guitar strings ...? With guitars you can do such crazy things. Here is an example of an 18 strings guitar, listen at 0:50.

While this comes close, but still doesn't have the very gentleness of a harp. But I'm not sure in what way you can influence it for example by the choice of the guitar strings or by the playing technique.
On the other hand, with guitars you often hear the typical sound of playing the chords. So if they used a certain type of guitar, it must have been treated very carefully to avoid that sound, with a profound intention to make it sound like a harp. (Or I just haven't heard that sound on the album. :mrgreen: )

Padmachou wrote: <span title="Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:49 pm">4 years ago</span>
filiarheni wrote: <span title="Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:18 pm">4 years ago</span> I also admire how the boys are able to pack all of that into a tight time plan: rehearse for the concerts, rehearse for the album, the concerts/tours, the recordings, plus their church duties including further rehearsing and all of that on a super-high level. :wink: Wow!
And not to mention that some (all ?) of them sing in other choirs, practice instruments, play football and all...
... and brush their teeth. :lol:

Padmachou wrote: <span title="Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:49 pm">4 years ago</span> Benedictus Deus has various disadvantages compared to Ding Dong, although it is technically not such a challenge for them : I am not sure they own the rights to perform it on stage, and it is not as much an easily-accessible christmas song. Plus, it would strongly rely on a soloist.
No talk of Christmas here. :)

The only argument that could convince me is that about the missing rights. :wink: I'm sure that performing Benedictus Deus on stage is doable for Libera, now more than ever. In fact, I was aiming at the demanding polyrhythmic and furthermore synkopised structure among solo and choir in the middle. Correct, the solo is hard and also very extended, but we should not underestimate the importance of the choir in this piece either, who is challenged as well. Both is needed, a fit soloist and a fit choir. We do have a fit choir, and regarding the capabilities of the soloist, I have a concrete boy in mind who could do it; if not now, then in one or two years. ;)
I would jump for joy if this bright, festive song landed in their concert set list one day.

General question: What are the chances in your opinion that To the Future makes it to the UK concert set list in December? Normally they sing such songs in the song's host countries only, but sometimes they appear here as well. And if not, do you think that Noël Nouvelet could replace it? In this case it must have been rehearsed, but why rehearse it and then not sing it in Japan. I hope for it, but whether it's likely, I'm not sure about.
Last edited by filiarheni on Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
"But in the dark and cold of things there always, always something sings"
Padmachou
Silver Member

Post by Padmachou »

filiarheni wrote: <span title="Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:53 pm">4 years ago</span>
General question: What are the chances in your opinion that To the Future makes it to the UK concert set list in December? Normally they sing such songs in the song's host countries only, but sometimes they appear here as well. And if not, do you think that Noël Nouvelet could replace it? In this case it must have been rehearsed, but why rehearse it and then not sing it in Japan. I hope for it, but whether it's likely, I'm not sure about.
I refuse to bet or choose, since I want to hear both :lol: Let's replace Angel.
bamboo
Silver Member

Post by bamboo »

filiarheni wrote: <span title="Sat Oct 19, 2019 4:59 pm">4 years ago</span> Silent Night
Arr.: Robert Prizeman
Solo: Luca Brugnoli, Benedict Bywater, Dominik Clarke, Mathias Montoro, Victor Wiggin  

This is likely to be the most famous Christmas song of the world with all kinds of interpretations; over here frequently sung at the end of Christmas services with the electric light extinguished and singing by candlelight only. Robert's a cappella arrangement of this totally peaceful song is just stunning, performed by just five boys, which feels like a reduction to the essential in life and furthermore emphasises the extraordinary beauty of the song's melody. The boys are simply amazing here! Another jewel on this album.
Any idea who is the soloist right at the start of the song? It doesn't sound like Luca, I'm guessing maybe Ben or Victor?
TullyBascombe
Platinum Member

Post by TullyBascombe »

Got it. Only 3 days from Japan to Virginia.
justin

Post by justin »

bamboo wrote: <span title="Sat Oct 26, 2019 3:56 am">4 years ago</span>
filiarheni wrote: <span title="Sat Oct 19, 2019 4:59 pm">4 years ago</span> Silent Night
Arr.: Robert Prizeman
Solo: Luca Brugnoli, Benedict Bywater, Dominik Clarke, Mathias Montoro, Victor Wiggin  

This is likely to be the most famous Christmas song of the world with all kinds of interpretations; over here frequently sung at the end of Christmas services with the electric light extinguished and singing by candlelight only. Robert's a cappella arrangement of this totally peaceful song is just stunning, performed by just five boys, which feels like a reduction to the essential in life and furthermore emphasises the extraordinary beauty of the song's melody. The boys are simply amazing here! Another jewel on this album.
Any idea who is the soloist right at the start of the song? It doesn't sound like Luca, I'm guessing maybe Ben or Victor?
If the Japan tour was any indication, the first boy was Luca.
Padmachou
Silver Member

Post by Padmachou »

And who is the second voice in Walking in the air ? Japon tour experience welcome :mrgreen:
justin

Post by justin »

Padmachou wrote: <span title="Sat Oct 26, 2019 10:15 am">4 years ago</span> And who is the second voice in Walking in the air ? Japon tour experience welcome :mrgreen:
The second is Ben B. Then Matthias who joined in. After that Victor (replaced by Daniel in the 2nd concert in Tokyo) and Dominik :)
Padmachou
Silver Member

Post by Padmachou »

justin wrote: <span title="Sat Oct 26, 2019 10:25 am">4 years ago</span>
Padmachou wrote: <span title="Sat Oct 26, 2019 10:15 am">4 years ago</span> And who is the second voice in Walking in the air ? Japon tour experience welcome :mrgreen:
The second is Ben B. Then Matthias who joined in. After that Victor (replaced by Daniel in the 2nd concert in Tokyo) and Dominik :)
Are you talking about Walking in the Air or Silent Night ? This group is the Silent Night one if I do not mistake...