Libera for all seasons

Talk about Libera here in.

Moderator: Moderators

maartendas
Diamond Member

Libera for all seasons

Post by maartendas »

A fun topic occurred on Twitter: what Libera songs would go well with the different seasons? Which songs conjure up images of cold and dark nights (winter) or blue skies and a blazing sunshine (summer)? Which blossoming soloist sings the songs of spring like a free and joyful bird and which richly coloured arrangement evokes a crimson autumn sunset?

Here's my season playlist, spontaneously assembled and probably far from final:

Winter
The season of darkness, stillness, reflection, wisps of smoke as you breathe the air, small lights glowing everywhere, the season of patience and wonder...
Venite adoremus
Any Christmas songs obviously but somehow Wexford Carol came to mind as the first one when I thought about winter and Libera music...
Sempiterna
(Lead kindly light - not sure if this is more a winter song or an autumn song...)

Spring
The season of blossoming, new life, movement and energy, of possibilities, gladness and promise...
Sanctus
Song of Life
Exsultate
Angel
How can I keep from singing
Stay with me

Summer
The season of fullness, of bright sunshine, of overwhelming temperatures, of joy and going out and about, but also quiet moments in the shade, lingering in the warm air...
Orinoco flow
Touch the sky
Benedictus Deus
San Damiano

Autumn
The season of loss and melancholy but also of quiet hope and a grandness of nature, a feast for the eyes to soothe the goodbyes...
Twilight
Three Ravens
Something sings
Voca me
Do not stand
(Lead kindly light)
You raise me high beyond the sky
Through stormy night lifting me above
filiarheni
Gold Member

Re: Libera for all seasons

Post by filiarheni »

I don't have many songs I assign to seasons, while I have never thought of actively doing so. But there are a handful of songs where it comes just naturally by the images which arise before my inner eye during the listen. So my approach is different from yours. :)

The first song where I got aware of that was Attendite, which is spring for me. Funny: With Ben's voice and the transparent arrangement, I see a creek running over stones, just coming from its spring. So ... spring in both senses. :mrgreen:
To the summer I assign Secret, because it evokes a pleasant childhood memory of summer evenings at home in me.
Recordare puts me in the season of autumn, as it makes me always see myself walking through a forest with colourful golden autumn leaves through which some sun is shining.
And I have no winter song or at least no song, where winter comes to my mind. In fact, I had thought of Wexford Carol too, but this is no automatism like with the other songs.

And then there's also Twilight is Stealing, which places me into spring or summer.

:D
"But in the dark and cold of things there always, always something sings"
TullyBascombe
Platinum Member

Post by TullyBascombe »

Twilight is Stealing is about evensong, i.e., the waning of the day, so would it not be best placed with autumn?
I place Libera with autumn mainly because of the 2005 music video.
filiarheni
Gold Member

Post by filiarheni »

filiarheni wrote: <span title="Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:15 pm">4 years ago</span> And then there's also Twilight is Stealing, which places me into spring or summer.
TullyBascombe wrote: <span title="Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:41 am">4 years ago</span> Twilight is Stealing is about evensong, i.e., the waning of the day, so would it not be best placed with autumn?
That's right from an objective point of view, that is: If you search for songs accompanying services, then going after the lyrics sure is the better thing to do. But mine was an entirely subjective one, merely considering what feelings and images involuntarily come to me, when I hear the music, the singing, the arrangement. So, many others would probably wonder: "Secret and summer? Why in the world?" :wink: But the music creates that above mentioned deeply pleasant feeling in me directly and has done so from the first moment. This contributes to the fact that it's one of my highest Libera favourites. :D

maartendas wrote: <span title="Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:57 pm">4 years ago</span> Summer
The season of fullness, of bright sunshine, of overwhelming temperatures, of joy and going out and about, but also quiet moments in the shade, lingering in the warm air...
[...]
San Damiano
That came to my mind yesterday as well. It's bright, bursting out of joyful and warm energy.
"But in the dark and cold of things there always, always something sings"