'Libera' the song

Talk about Libera here in.

Moderator: Moderators

maartendas
Diamond Member

'Libera' the song

Post by maartendas »

So, I thought it would be nice to open up a topic for the song 'Libera'. After all, it's their signature song which gave them the name Libera.

I got the idea for the topic when comparing the different recordings of the song. If I am correct, we have only three official album recordings: from the debut album (1999), from Visions (2005) and Eternal (2008) (same recording on both CD's) and finally from the Leiden concert (2007).
I was surprised when I realised it isn't on the Washington live CD/DVD.

I thought it would be interesting to compare the different versions. Let us know which one you prefer and why!
Or if you have no favourite that's perfectly fine too ofcourse :)

I find that all three have their unique appeal.
The debut album version:

I am thrilled by the vocalise, for some reason my ear went straight to it today. Is that also by Adam Harris? Plus it has the freshness of being the first version, when this was totally new. It might sound dated now, but there is a kind of pioneering boldness in there that still charms me.

There is also a recording which to my knowledge only exists as a video from 1995:

Basically my thoughts on this are the same as above, while the drums are even more 'mechanical' which is usually a bit too much to my ears (I love all kinds of heavy music too but somehow in this case the drums are overdone to my taste). Nevertheless, this was the original, first ever version! :D

The Visions version:

This one sounds the most polished and rich overall (production-wise), I think. Confident and delightful.

Finally, the Leiden version

If I had to pick one, this would be my favourite because it showcases Liam C as soloist. He had such a shining voice - smooth and bright, just lovely. Also I love the spontaneous burst of applause which they left in (unlike the Washington live CD).

But actually my dream favourite would be: Liam C as soloist, the vocalise from 1999 and the production of the Visions version :wink:

So how about your favourite? Or maybe you have a favourite live version from a concert? Should they record a new version? (why do I even ask, lol :lol: ). Let us know what you think of this classic Libera song! :D
You raise me high beyond the sky
Through stormy night lifting me above
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Re: 'Libera' the song

Post by Surpinto »

Maybe it's for sentimental reasons only but having been a fan since 2004, the original version is special to me. I love the synthesizer effects.

But the song hasn't changed but in the most subtle ways since that time so to me it's the same song.

I think that "Salva Me" (of their 'classic' songs) has had more changes than "Libera" if I'm not mistaken; with one version having a different type of drum (bongos or something?) being used (Angel Voices and Eternal) rather than the standard drum kit. Also the original "Salva Me" on the Libera album had whispers over top certain lines.

Still I'm getting off topic, this is a thread about "Libera". So to that end I like the original, but only for the most subtle reasons.
filiarheni
Gold Member

Post by filiarheni »

Very nice question! :D

Usually, I tend to like the version the most that I heard first, which in the case of Libera was Leiden. Yet, I had a very careful listen to all the renditions you posted once more, which I was differently familar with.

Well: I'm clearly still a fan of the 2007 Libera version from Leiden, and it's mainly for the reduction of the drums compared with the "Libera" CD version (1999) and before (1995). In the latter ones, there lies much more emphasis on the rhythmic aspect. It's more pop-song-like despite the certainly present ethereal sound, and I have to say that I find the drums too much, very much so in the 1995 video. I prefer it less "down-to-earth" in terms of Libera. What I like in the 1999 version, are the playful voices and their complexity.

I find the said ethereal sound very much in the "Visions" plus so much I love about Libera (the choir :wink: ) in the Leiden version. Apart from the fact that I, like you, Maarten, love Liam's crystal clear, bright voice - and it may sound surprising, but for this very song I have always preferred a solo to a duet - this whole Leiden version is enormously powerful and has been that way in all concerts I've attended. Wow, the beginning already! It sets a positive mood in me immediately, which then is maintained throughout the whole song. Leiden's Libera is a real go-to song for me to lift me up, when I'm in need.
Also, I like the increase of tension towards the climax at the end, which is expressed more distinctly than in the early versions. So, these ones invite for moving, dancing, while in the 2007 drums are still there, but more taken back; the song is resplendent, concentrating on sound colour and mood. I love it! :)

I'm so glad about this song being Libera's signature song! :D

Very curious about what others say!
Last edited by filiarheni on Tue Sep 03, 2019 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"But in the dark and cold of things there always, always something sings"
Padmachou
Silver Member

Post by Padmachou »

I think the same analysis needs to be done about Salva Me !

I did not know the very first version, and I have to thank you very much for making me listen to it. I really like the a cappella intro. So I would go for the first version's intro, Vision's bright sound, Liam Connery as a soloist, and the Leiden choregraphy :D Or... just a new record, so that we can debate on which one we like the most, once again !
tom413
Gold Member

Post by tom413 »

I have probably heard this song performed live almost as many times than I have listened to the recorded versions of it, so my judgment
comes more from hearing it performed in concert.

When I have enjoyed hearing the song live it has been because of the power and the energy of the Libera Aeterna soloist.
Liam Connery has a well deserved reputation as the best ever at this part, but the rendition that has stuck with me through the years was in 2011
when it was Ralph Skan's job. At the time the song was part of a double bill with Jubilate at the very start of the concert.

By the way, back in the 90's, this song was mixed and remixed in a variety of styles and was released by Mercury Records.
http://libera-passion.exprimetoi.net/t1 ... ices#26818
I have to admit the Secret Knowledge of Fallen Angels mix sounds intriguing.
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

tom413 wrote: <span title="Wed Sep 04, 2019 5:02 am">4 years ago</span> By the way, back in the 90's, this song was mixed and remixed in a variety of styles and was released by Mercury Records.
http://libera-passion.exprimetoi.net/t1 ... ices#26818
I have to admit the Secret Knowledge of Fallen Angels mix sounds intriguing.
:shock: Just when I thought there was nothing new to learn about this song! I had no idea about that unusual album. Thanks for the link.