Libera songs never sung live: Your wishes

Talk about Libera here in.

Moderator: Moderators

filiarheni
Gold Member

Libera songs never sung live: Your wishes

Post by filiarheni »

There is number of Libera songs we can listen to up and down the road ... however from the recording only, as they never found their way on stage. I was curious to know which songs these are and, naturally, the consequence was to land here and make a poll out of it. :mrgreen: :D

So which Libera songs never sung live so far do you long for hearing in concert some day the most?

Here is the list with big thanks to The Furby, who made my life easier by drawing it from his superb data source at Libera-Passion. :) I have reduced it to songs recorded on CDs under the name "Libera" and I hope it's all correct:

• A New Heaven
  • A Song Of Enchantment
  • Adoro Te
  • Air (Air On The G String)
  • Ave Virgo
  • Benedictus Deus
  • Coventry Carol
  • Home
  • In Paradisum (Prizeman)
  • Jerusalem
  • Lead, Kindly Light
  • Luminosa
  • Mother Of God
  • Never Be Alone
  • Panis Angelicus
  • Recordare
  • Salve Regina
  • Sancta
  • Something Sings
  • Stabat
  • Stabat Mater
  • The First Noël (The First Nowell)
  • The Lamb
  • Three Ravens
  • Touch The Sky
  • Twilight
  • Veni Sancte
  • Venite Adoremus
  • Vespera
  • We Are The Lost
  • While Shepherds Watched Their Flocks

Please - make your choice. :wink:
"But in the dark and cold of things there always, always something sings"
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Re: Libera songs never sung live: Your wishes

Post by Surpinto »

"Salve Regina" - this would be my #1 pick from your list as I think it would be an amazing song to experience live. Some might thing that its slow tempo makes it less suitable for a live concert but I think that it would be a good lead-in to a concert and preceding a more upbeat piece.

"Venite Adoremus", "Lead, Kindly Light" and "Mother Of God" would be my next picks.
The Furby

Post by The Furby »

Mine would be:

1- Three Ravens (though I fear I could be disappointed as it's a quite demanding piece and I love the album arrangements)
2- Lead Kindly Light (I totally agree with you on this one Surpinto!)
3- Vespera
4- Sancta (this one have always been a personal earworm, and I'd love to hear a new version with a more modern sound)
5- Jerusalem (with the reverberation of a stone cathedral)
6- Recordare (followed by Voca Me)

If TDL was still a touring member (and a treble!) I would have added Benedictus Deus to the list.

Also maybe someone can solve this mysterium:
At first I didn't include Stabat Mater in the unsung pieces as the name appears in a concert setlist : St John, Norwood, in 2002.
Obviously it isn't the Stabat Mater of the recent Hope album, so what is it?
Is it an early version of Luminosa's "Stabat"?
Or a totally different piece?
Has anyone any info on this?
swalker2001
Site Admin

Post by swalker2001 »

We did this on Facebook in the Libera group a while back. Top 3 were One Voice, Home And Something Sings. If it could only be one, I'm kinda partial to One Voice because I see in my mind a single boy on stage at the start of the second half of a concert...then joined by the others as the song progresses. Something like they did on the show with Thora way, WAY back in the day. But I don't think they have need for a men's chorus any longer. They didn't need it then in fact.

All three are beautiful and the other two I mentioned compete in my mind for my favorite Libera song of all time. Ciaran has a gorgeous solo voice, and what can you say about Michael Horncastle that hasn't already been said.

Every song mentioned in the OP is beautiful. Any of them would add something to future shows.
====
"If you cannot teach me to fly, teach me to sing."
--JM Barrie, Peter Pan
TullyBascombe
Platinum Member

Post by TullyBascombe »

I'll vote for Adore Te, Lead Kindly Light, Benedictus Deus, Jerusalem and Something Sings.
maartendas
Diamond Member

Post by maartendas »

How many can we choose? :D

For me, in no particular order:
Air - would be divine to hear this in person... Thinking of how the lighting technician can make such beautiful displays...
Ave Virgo - because of the prayerful atmosphere and the Mozart melody
Benedictus Deus - this would be spectacular and really festive - though hard to follow up, I think it would have to be the next to last song on a concert - but then again, what would that do to the nerves of the boys, if this was so late in the program? :wink:
Luminosa - preferably in an open air setting on a clear and moonless night :wink:
Three Ravens - just today I was listening to it again and wished to hear it live one day! That would be "beyond"(!) spectacular :)
Venite Adoremus - sounds like a perfect start for the second half of the concert, after the interval
We are the Lost - because the lyrics tug at my heartstrings
You raise me high beyond the sky
Through stormy night lifting me above
fan_de_LoK
Diamond Member

Post by fan_de_LoK »

My own selection is of seven songs, which is too long but I don't see how to reduce it any more.

In order of preference I would select Venite Adoremus but I guess that Merlin may be a bit old now to perform it as it was recorded.

My second would be Salve Regina but I have the same concern about Rocco's voice. It has changed since the recording, as his role was already reduced in the Philippines in February.

My third is Mother Of God.

And a couple of oldies, sadly whose chances of being sung live now seem quite low:
Benedictus Deus
In Paradisum
(Prizeman)
Jerusalem 
We Are The Lost
bachmahlerfan

Post by bachmahlerfan »

I would love to hear "Venite Adoremus" live, but I don't think it will happen. The vocals in the opening and closing sections have a rhythmically irregular, improvisational quality to them that would be very difficult to pull off in a live performance. Simplifying those sections for performance would destroy the effect of the original in my opinion. I believe that "Benedictus Deus" will eventually be performed, it's just a matter of when. I also hope that they can perform the "Air on a G String" someday, but you need a really strong lead soloist along with a couple good supporting soloists. I still can't believe that "Vespera" has never been sung in a concert, so it's about time they make it happen! I'll also mention two pieces not on the list. "Silencium" was performed just once in 2002, and I would certainly enjoy hearing a performance of that one. "Sancte" was performed at a few concerts in 2009, and I think it would be a great piece to bring back (it may require a larger instrumental ensemble than what they usually have at concerts). It's always been one of my favorites.
Last edited by bachmahlerfan on Mon May 06, 2019 4:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
tom413
Gold Member

Post by tom413 »

My choices would be:

Home
Lead Kindly Light
Recordare
We Are The Lost
Vespera
Veni Sancte

I think the first four could be included should RP ever choose to do so. The last two would probably need the right personnel in place
to deliver a good performance.
john45
Gold Member

Post by john45 »

In my minds eye there is a picture of Mini-James singing "Touch the Sky" at a live concert. Could not say where or when so probably just a dream. My choices in no particular order: We are the Lost, A New Heaven, Lead Kindly Light, Vespera, Recordare, Twilight.
filiarheni
Gold Member

Post by filiarheni »

swalker2001 wrote: <span title="Sun May 05, 2019 4:12 am">5 years ago</span> We did this on Facebook in the Libera group a while back. Top 3 were One Voice, Home And Something Sings.
I find that Libera fans think in the same rails again and again. :lol: When did you ask on Facebook, had "Hope" already been released?
Well, since you obviously included the pre-"Libera" time, which I didn't, you've got the nice opportunity now to choose another song. :mrgreen:

maartendas wrote: <span title="Sun May 05, 2019 12:40 pm">5 years ago</span>How many can we choose? :D
fan_de_LoK wrote: <span title="Sun May 05, 2019 2:10 pm">5 years ago</span>My own selection is of seven songs, which is too long but I don't see how to reduce it any more.
No restriction was made! :) I was already wondering if I should better state my own selection the other way round to shorten the list ... :roll: I found 17 songs I'd love to see in the programme, a whole concert, so to speak. :lol: So I took refuge to putting the rest of these in categories (songs in alphabetic order):

I'm dying to hear:
Something Sings
Stabat Mater
Touch the Sky (@John: I tried to check it again, but I can't find such a concert)
Vespera

Followed by:
Benedictus Deus
Mother of God (they could also do this one in a service, I find)
Three Ravens
Twilight
We are the Lost

Closely followed by:
Stabat
Veni Sancte
Venite Adoremus

Ah, and btw, this is about wishful thinking, as I was so curious to know your song preferences. Reality desillusions us anyway, so no thought control ... just let your dreams run wild. :D :D

The Furby wrote: <span title="Sat May 04, 2019 10:31 pm">5 years ago</span>Also maybe someone can solve this mysterium:
At first I didn't include Stabat Mater in the unsung pieces as the name appears in a concert setlist : St John, Norwood, in 2002.
Obviously it isn't the Stabat Mater of the recent Hope album, so what is it?
Is it an early version of Luminosa's "Stabat"?
Or a totally different piece?
Has anyone any info on this?
I was hoping that one of the long-term experienced fans could help ... Patrick or John ... ? 8)
"But in the dark and cold of things there always, always something sings"
swalker2001
Site Admin

Post by swalker2001 »

I find that Libera fans think in the same rails again and again. :lol: When did you ask on Facebook, had "Hope" already been released?
Well, since you obviously included the pre-"Libera" time, which I didn't, you've got the nice opportunity now to choose another song. :mrgreen:
OK, since One Voice was pre-Libera and wasn't recorded on CD (our Facebook discussion didn't include the CD limitation) I will endeavor to choose a third (to add to Home and Something Sings).

I would dearly love to hear We Are The Lost in concert. It brings tears no matter how many times I have listened to it. But Jerusalem is another that would absolutely blow many audiences away. I share the thoughts already posted by The Furby about Three Ravens...it's very difficult and would offer many opportunities for mistakes, something for which Libera is definitely not known.

A New Heaven is another favorite and I'll stop by saying I think that it's possible many of the newest mini-angels could master Touch The Sky. We don't have Mini-James anymore (and he wouldn't be so "mini" if we did) but the song would be a great way to get the newest miniboys acclimated to performing in front of a big audience.

So I ended up with more than three and I could pick them all I'm afraid. To summarize:
  • One Voice (disqualified but honorable mention from me)
  • Home
  • Something Sings
  • We Are the Lost
  • Jerusalem
  • Three Ravens (probably not though)
  • A New Heaven
  • Touch The Sky
Oh, and Twilight. See what I mean? I could list them all...such a hard topic.
====
"If you cannot teach me to fly, teach me to sing."
--JM Barrie, Peter Pan
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

swalker2001 wrote: <span title="Tue May 07, 2019 2:15 am">5 years ago</span>
OK, since One Voice was pre-Libera and wasn't recorded on CD (our Facebook discussion didn't include the CD limitation) I will endeavor to choose a third (to add to Home and Something Sings).
Whilst it was pre-Libera wasn't it on the New Day CD?
If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

Yorkie wrote: <span title="Fri May 10, 2019 6:39 pm">5 years ago</span>
swalker2001 wrote: <span title="Tue May 07, 2019 2:15 am">5 years ago</span>
Whilst it was pre-Libera wasn't it on the New Day CD?
Track 6 to be exact.
maartendas
Diamond Member

Post by maartendas »

If we can include pre-Libera songs, my absolute favourite would be Evening Falls (from Angel Voices 2). It is just like I'm Dreaming of Home for me - no words....
You raise me high beyond the sky
Through stormy night lifting me above