Second Best Choirs

Talk about Libera here in.

Moderator: Moderators

Elendil

Second Best Choirs

Post by Elendil »

I believe that Libera is the best choir in the world; i think many of u do too.

I want to know if anyone else knows any other choirs that are similar to Libera or sing really nice music.

Vienna Boys Choir is one, but it didn't quite catch my attention. I guess the songs they sang didn't really interest me--or I didn't take my time to search for any good songs they sang. They did sing a lot of nice Christmas tunes (from the videos on Youtube).

I also liked some tunes by the Choirboys--especially Walking in the Air and Tears in Heaven. but that's about it.

Any other "Libera-ish" choirs that people might be familiar with? Or even great soloists?
Attende Domini et miserere
Quia peccavimus tibi
Attendite et miserere Domine
Digs
Silver Member

Post by Digs »

I can not think of anything that even comes close to the sound of Libera. Mr. Prizeman is a musical genius, and has truly invented a unique sound with Libera. The talent in Libera is amazing to say the least. Yes there are other choirs out there that are good, but none have the talent and quality that Mr. Prizeman has with Libera. Mr. Prizemans arrangements along with the boys amazing voices and talent have a truly unique sound unlike any other music I have heard. :D
"Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and life to everything."
Plato
TEB
Gold Member

Post by TEB »

I have listened to some of the other boy choirs out there and none of them quite measure up against Libera. The Vienna Boys Choir is ok but I would not actually buy anything of theirs. Groups like the Boys Air Choir trill all their "R's" when they sing and that just doesn't cut it with me. Too "upper crust". Same with Anthony Way. He was really good in The Choir on PBS but on his Christmas cd, he trilled his "R's" as well. :(

Libera performs as the normal boys they are. Therefore, they appeal to a wider range of fans.

About the only other boy singer I like is Joseph McManners but since he is 15 now, he has sort of disappeared. HIs website has not been updated in sometime.
Tom B.
Proud to be an American
Clan Farquharson, Scotland

"I AM THE DAWN OF ALL TIME."
xsakurax
Gold Member

Post by xsakurax »

I used to really like Vienna Boys' Choir, but now not as much as before. They have a long tradition and history, the boys have really good and trained voices too, but I find their style is little too traditional for me.

The Choir Boys, are one of my favourites I must say. But don't hear much from them anymore - the new and old batch. Probably, there will be a third batch of new boys, I hope?

There's other choirs especially the german ones which are just as good, like Tolzer or something like that.. But 90% of the time I don't understand what they are singing since they are singing mostly in german. So yeah.

Libera is my all time favourite still. :D
JimmyRiddle
Diamond Member

Post by JimmyRiddle »

Libera do something with their music that I like. I like their style and creativity, and as mentioned before Robert Prizeman as been there from the start and has been vital to their success. He is too Libera what Davros is too the Darleks - of course on the side of good, not evil. Sorry I've been caught up in all this new Doctor Who business, so forgive me for my slight deviation from topic there.

Yeah, Libera do something that no other choir group do, but it's slightly unfair to compare them to other more traditional choirs, because of the very fact they are different and unique.
DrewE
Silver Member

Post by DrewE »

The American Boychoir has some excellent recordings out, although their style and especially sound tends a bit more towards traditional choral music.

The closest choir I've heard to the "Libera sound" is the Riga Dom Boy's Choir, from Riga, Latvia. I at present only have one CD of theirs (but I have heard a few others in the past and have a few more on order), a very interesting production entitled "Odi Et Amo." The singing is quite good, and the piece itself rather unusual (a melding of a vast array of musical styles, with words in Latin, maybe reminiscent of a movie soundtrack as much as anything), but the engineering is at a few points quite sloppy, with obvious clipping during recording in spots. :?

I do like Take 6 a lot, too, especially their unaccompanied numbers. They're definitely not Libera-ish, though.
TEB
Gold Member

Post by TEB »

DrewE wrote:The American Boychoir has some excellent recordings out, although their style and especially sound tends a bit more towards traditional choral music.

The American Boychoir is the choir Trans-Siberian Orchestra uses when they need boy's singing voices when recording. :)
Tom B.
Proud to be an American

William

Post by William »

I agree that Libera is by far the best. I've seen, as have many other here, The Vienna Boys Choir. They are good but yes, quite traditional. I've also seen Polski Sloviki and they did a couple of neat original songs like the song of the Cats which consisted of just meowing. Sounds wierd but it is actually very good. They did a short performance at my school a few years ago. The Australian Boys Choir was also here a couple years ago and I loved them as was the American Boy Choir. And luckily my city has their own Boys Choir (Rochester, NY). They are relatively new and I've helped ut at some of their events. In fact, several students from the school at which I teach are members of the choir.

This has been mentioned on another thread somewhere, but as far as soloists, Joseph McManners is very good as is Anthony Way. If you want to get away from the choral kind of music as well, Declan Galbraith is phenomenal (his first two albums anyway, before his voice changed) as is Jamie Shaw's early recordings. They stay pretty much away from the 'bubble gum' romantic junk and sing good, heartfelt songs, many with spiritual overtones without becoming overly religious.
Elendil

Post by Elendil »

I really like Declan in his performance of Walking in the Air. I also like Aled Jones--both as a boy sopranist and an adult professional singer. I would like to hear Libera do a version of Walking in the Air (my favorite non-Libera choir or solo song). Do u think Walking in the Air suits Libera's style?
Quia peccavimus tibi
DrewE
Silver Member

Post by DrewE »

Elendil wrote:I really like Declan in his performance of Walking in the Air. I also like Aled Jones--both as a boy sopranist and an adult professional singer. I would like to hear Libera do a version of Walking in the Air (my favorite non-Libera choir or solo song). Do u think Walking in the Air suits Libera's style?
A couple of links for you--notice track 2 (featuring Liam O'Kane):
http://theliberadreamshop.com/cds/angel ... rod_4.html

And you can hear it in the first half of this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OiahepyXKuU
tcliffy
Gold Member

Post by tcliffy »

TEB wrote:I have listened to some of the other boy choirs out there and none of them quite measure up against Libera. The Vienna Boys Choir is ok but I would not actually buy anything of theirs. Groups like the Boys Air Choir trill all their "R's" when they sing and that just doesn't cut it with me. Too "upper crust". Same with Anthony Way. He was really good in The Choir on PBS but on his Christmas cd, he trilled his "R's" as well. :(

Libera performs as the normal boys they are. Therefore, they appeal to a wider range of fans.

About the only other boy singer I like is Joseph McManners but since he is 15 now, he has sort of disappeared. HIs website has not been updated in sometime.
Joseph is getting ready to come out with a new album now that his voice has settled.

Personally, being from South Africa, I have great pride in and a tremendous love for the Drakensberg Boys Choir. If you want to see videos of them, visit my youtube page... http://www.youtube.com/tcliffy" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.troyesivan.com/forum" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Jude Andrew
Gold Member

Post by Jude Andrew »

Indeed, Libera are quite unique and are certainly the leaders in there particular field. I think it is slightly unfair to compare them with other traditional boy's choirs as they have differing styles. I personnally like the Vienna Boy's Choir and have seen them live twice and I also like the St.Paul's Catherdral Choir, Choir of Kings College Cambridge and the Tolzer Knabenchor. All of whom can be compared together.... but Libera are one of a kind.
Elendil

Post by Elendil »

DrewE wrote:
Elendil wrote:I really like Declan in his performance of Walking in the Air. I also like Aled Jones--both as a boy sopranist and an adult professional singer. I would like to hear Libera do a version of Walking in the Air (my favorite non-Libera choir or solo song). Do u think Walking in the Air suits Libera's style?
A couple of links for you--notice track 2 (featuring Liam O'Kane):
http://theliberadreamshop.com/cds/angel ... rod_4.html

And you can hear it in the first half of this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OiahepyXKuU
Oh! I have seen this video before. I guess I just forgot. it's very haunting when it's sung by Liam. its astonishing!

I remember seeing a version of the Choirboys sing it so that each of them gets a turn to sing a verse of the song. it would be great to hear Libera bring out 3 soloists to do this (similar in Going Home) so we hear 3 different voices. And maybe the entire Libera choir joins in near the end...that would be sweet!
Quia peccavimus tibi
TEB
Gold Member

Post by TEB »

tcliffy wrote:
Joseph is getting ready to come out with a new album now that his voice has settled.

That's cool. I'll be one of the first to get it when it gets to the US.
Tom B.
Proud to be an American

Jude Andrew
Gold Member

Post by Jude Andrew »

It's funny, for the past I don't know how many years I would have bet my house on that fact that Aled Jones sang 'Walking in the Air' on the sound track of the film. Needless to say I was stunned why I found out it wasn't him at all :lol:

But to answer your question above; I personally don't think this song actually suits Libera's style.