Concert "Tölzer Knabenchor" Germany!

Talk about other music related artists you like

Moderator: Moderators

ludwig1874
Silver Member

Concert "Tölzer Knabenchor" Germany!

Post by ludwig1874 »

I am glad that I got a ticket for the Concert of the famous "Tölzer Knabenchor" in Wuppertal! Next Saturday! Will somebody be there??

"Sa., 12. Jan. 2019, 17:00 Uhr
Wuppertal-Elberfeld, Friedhofskirche
Konzert mit geistlichen Werken und Orgel
mit dem Tölzer Knabenchor und seinen Solisten"
filiarheni
Gold Member

Re: Concert "Tölzer Knabenchor" Germany!

Post by filiarheni »

I'm not ... but you can tell us afterwards, how it was. What programme are they going to sing? I have to admit that so far I've not been the biggest fan of the German boys choirs I know, so that their concerts are not quite attracting me to attend, but it can have to do with the kind of music they sing.
"But in the dark and cold of things there always, always something sings"
PaulWSpaceRockDodger

Post by PaulWSpaceRockDodger »

The "Tölzer Knabenchor" is one of many excellent boychoirs in Germany (two other examples are the Dresdner Kreuzchor and the Thomanerchor). One of the TK's most impressive singers is Elias Mädler. Here are two Youtube videos posted in November 2016 and February 2019 which give you an idea of his musicality:

In July 2015 he made a remarkable contribution to a performance of Handel's opera "Alcina":

Elias is now approaching the age when his voice will change; I am confident that he will find new opportunities to make use of his enormous musical talent.
Walnuts

Post by Walnuts »

filiarheni wrote: <span title="Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:31 pm">5 years ago</span> I'm not ... but you can try these insulated hunting boots and tell us afterwards, how it was. What programme are they going to sing? I have to admit that so far I've not been the biggest fan of the German boys choirs I know, so that their concerts are not quite attracting me to attend, but it can have to do with the kind of music they sing.
Are boychoirs popular in Germany?
Last edited by Walnuts on Tue Mar 05, 2024 10:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

Walnuts wrote: <span title="Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:21 pm">4 years ago</span> Are boychoirs popular in Germany?
Well, popular is relative but effectively Germany/Austria and the UK are really the only places where this tradition of choirs comprised of boys singing the top parts still has broad roots and a place in the national psyche (in the UK Christmas starts for many of us with the radio and TV broadcasts from King's). But then again I wouldn't say it is popular because most people probably never give it a second thought and wouldn't notice if every choir disappeared overnight (or sadly care enough to do anything).

I'll now get shot down by people naming a choir in their country that proves I'm wrong but one or two choirs here and there isn't really the same in my opinion. Choral singing everywhere, whatever the group composition, is a pretty niche activity I would say :(
If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

Yorkie wrote: <span title="Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:02 am">4 years ago</span> I'll now get shot down by people naming a choir in their country that proves I'm wrong but one or two choirs here and there isn't really the same in my opinion. Choral singing everywhere, whatever the group composition, isa pretty niche activity I would say :(
You're not going to get shot down as you're very right about all of it. In the US we have a few churches with choirs of men and boys, but most boys choirs are non-liturgical and consist of trebles with unchanged voices and teenagers; rather than adults. Further, most such choirs (I admit there are exceptions) are a fun extracurricular activity for those involved and are not designed to have the participants singing at a high, professional level. They're basically one step above the elementary school choir I was in as a child where we would just sing back whatever the music teacher played on the piano and never even learned to read music :roll: . I have no problem with that as it's better than nothing but it's not the same as those top European choirs we all hear about.

Choral singing is niche indeed, I wish it were not so.
filiarheni
Gold Member

Post by filiarheni »

Yorkie wrote: <span title="Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:02 am">4 years ago</span>
Walnuts wrote: <span title="Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:21 pm">4 years ago</span> Are boychoirs popular in Germany?
Well, popular is relative but effectively Germany/Austria and the UK are really the only places where this tradition of choirs comprised of boys singing the top parts still has broad roots and a place in the national psyche (in the UK Christmas starts for many of us with the radio and TV broadcasts from King's). But then again I wouldn't say it is popular because most people probably never give it a second thought [...]
I think this is right. There are plenty of boys choirs in the German-speaking countries, and there are a number of them of whom everyone, regardless of being musically interested or not, knows the name. There is a big fostering and promoting of boys choirs, but niche music at the same time. Many people probably see them mainly in the context of Christmas and folk music, which is not enough. I have to confess that I had gone into that trap, too, which has changed, but still I don't like our boys choirs' singing style when it comes to folk music.

So yes, they are very popular within a special group of listeners. I think the expression that we use for them is not very fortunate nowadays, as the word "Knabe" in "Knabenchor" is a very archaic word for "boy" ... suggesting that these choirs don't belong to our times. This is much better in the English language, it's just "boys choir", which is just so natural and normal. But well - also the word "Knabenchor" is tradition.

Some events of course don't contribute to invite people to deal with boys choirs, like the scandal with Regensburger Domspatzen. People don't forget easily and this has done harm to such choirs' image.

Anyway, definitely it's encouraging that still boys choirs were created in the last decades, which obviously can also be seen as a hint at the poplularity of this kind of music.

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knabenchor

But generally spoken, choirs and choir singing are highly popular in Germany, there are lots of them everywhere in all kinds of variants, degrees and musical styles. So if you feel like singing in a choir, it mostly hard not to find one and often you're more spoilt for choice.

Surpinto wrote: <span title="Sun Sep 08, 2019 2:00 pm">4 years ago</span> They're basically one step above the elementary school choir I was in as a child where we would just sing back whatever the music teacher played on the piano and never even learned to read music :roll: . I have no problem with that as it's better than nothing but it's not the same as those top European choirs we all hear about.
That is really such a pity, as exactly singing brings so many diverse people together, so it's healthy not only in a physical, but also in a psychic and social way! What you describe is the way it's done in the music lessons in primary school over here, but as soon as the higher school starts, reading music is taught. I can't understand why music still does not get the same acknowledgement, weight and value in school as e. g. sciences, history and so forth. Why do I have to learn the periodic system and learn how a chemical reaction works, but it's demanded too much to learn musical technical terms, legalities like the circle of fifths, history and perhaps doing some serious practice like in sports or arts? Music belongs to the general education catalogue.

I'm sorry, this is not the topic of this thread. I was reacting to Surpinto's reply, and this school topic has gone around in my head since I was a school student myself. :roll:
"But in the dark and cold of things there always, always something sings"