Beyond

Talk about Libera CD/DVD

Moderator: Moderators

dani
Diamond Member

Beyond

Post by dani »

So we know the title of the new album ‘Beyond’and that the boys said they have been recording it for the last few weeks and it’s out in a few months.

We also know a few of the songs on it

Ave Maria
Voca Me
Sanctus
In Paradisum
john45
Gold Member

Re: Beyond

Post by john45 »

Any thoughts on the significance of the title? Beyond what?
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

Libera Beyond...

I don't 't believe this one but the thought occurred to me that it could be a change in direction at the top... RP retiring and Sam & Steven taking up the reins?

Let's hope not.
If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
dani
Diamond Member

Post by dani »

Yorkie wrote: <span title="Tue May 15, 2018 5:58 pm">6 years ago</span> Libera Beyond...

I don't 't believe this one but the thought occurred to me that it could be a change in direction at the top... RP retiring and Sam & Steven taking up the reins?

Let's hope not.

That’s a depressing thought as he created the group and he is so creative with his arrangements.

That is not to say that Sam hasn’t turned some songs into Libera Classics.
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

I think the title is far less meaningful or in need of analysis than we might presume. As another fan and I discussed the day after the show, I think the best way would be to think of it in terms of numbers. Imagine the largest numerical value that you can and then double it and then triple it. At some point you'll reach a value which is quite literally beyond your personal human conception. That is how music affects us: in a way that is beyond the reaches of our analytical minds.

I think it is that simple.
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

Surpinto wrote: <span title="Tue May 15, 2018 8:58 pm">6 years ago</span> I think the title is far less meaningful or in need of analysis than we might presume. As another fan and I discussed the day after the show, I think the best way would be to think of it in terms of numbers. Imagine the largest numerical value that you can and then double it and then triple it. At some point you'll reach a value which is quite literally beyond your personal human conception. That is how music affects us: in a way that is beyond the reaches of our analytical minds.

I think it is that simple.
I like your explanation, let's go with that. RP is still quiet young in terms of Choir MD's. As long as he has his health and a good team I'm sure he can go on for decades.

Mercy & Love
Padmachou
Silver Member

Post by Padmachou »

I thought I catched the meaning of this title but I see we do not think the same at all... Maybe I was mistaking.

To me, it means "beyond" what we already know, which makes sense as they decided to "re-arrange" some of the well know songs like Sanctus or Voca Me. It's beyond what made them famous.

Also, does not "beyond" have a profund mystic resonance ? I mean, beyond life... paradisium... ?

I like the way you explain it Surpinto !
TullyBascombe
Platinum Member

Post by TullyBascombe »

Maybe Libera will break the treble barrier and reach "ultra treble".
filiarheni
Gold Member

Post by filiarheni »

I discussed that too with a fan and Padmachou comes very close to what I think too: They take songs and create something new out of them. They explore the songs' potentials beyond their previous limit. That is all I can say at the moment, as we only know about the four songs, but who knows what other songs will also be included.

"Beyond" can also have a religious or philosophic meaning, going on with a word which describes something important in human life like "Free", "Peace", "Hope". Sometimes, I have been wondering what title could be chosen for a next album, but I was not very creative ...

I like ambiguous titles and texts, which leave room for different interpretations. So we may all be right, but I don't hope it has anything to do with Robert retiring. No, no, no! I've thought about it now and then and keep tolerably calm only because I know that Sam, Steven, Josh (Ben) are excellent, experienced musicians, but still: not yet, please, please, please.

I am a bit worried about a future confusion with the song titles of the modified songs and so I hope that they will rename them like they did with "Sanctus" and "Sanctus II". Since the new "Sanctus" again is different, I find it justified to call it "Sanctus III" - although this looks quite crazy to my eyes :lol: - and I hope for "Voca Me II" and "Ave Maria II".

Can we (please and hopefully) rely on having the same soloists in these songs on the CD as now in Ely concert?
"But in the dark and cold of things there always, always something sings"
Padmachou
Silver Member

Post by Padmachou »

I think there is a very high probability the soloists will be the same, as they said they have been working on the CD for 3 weeks. The same boys probably rehearsed for the concert at the same time.

As for RP retiring I really do not think so. It's too early, and even if the older boys are very experienced I believe they will "share" a bit more of the work before the great RP retires. Also, I think he's doing well why would he retire now ? :D
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

Padmachou wrote: <span title="Fri May 18, 2018 1:27 pm">6 years ago</span> As for RP retiring I really do not think so. It's too early, and even if the older boys are very experienced I believe they will "share" a bit more of the work before the great RP retires. Also, I think he's doing well why would he retire now ? :D
I agree, I didn't realise people would take that comment so literally :wink:

I like your explanation Padma :D

Mercy & Love
TullyBascombe
Platinum Member

Post by TullyBascombe »

Sixty six is a perfectly respectable age for retirement. I'm the same age as RP give or take a few months, I plan to retire within the next 16 months.
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

Beyond, as an idiom such as 'the great beyond', can mean the afterlife.

Known song titles:

In Paradisum = In Paradise
Voca Me = Call me
Sanctus = prayer used for the consecration
Ave Maria = Hail Mary

Now, a Theologian I am not, but it set suggests to me that the title might be related, for those who believe, to being welcomed into Heaven.

Mercy & Love
filiarheni
Gold Member

Post by filiarheni »

... while a large part of Libera's songs / their lyrics are about that "Beyond".

Like Salva Me, Home, the lux aeterna of what they often sing, Libera, Beata Lux, Mysterium, Time etc. - the theme of beyond is omnipresent.
"But in the dark and cold of things there always, always something sings"
niels

Post by niels »

I hope that rp stays with libera for many years, his work is awesome with the music and the boys. :D

I hope that they have a lot of songs in Latin. I really like those songs.

The name of the album beyond, i will let me surprise me what rp had in mind, :roll: