CD "Luminosa"

Talk about Libera CD/DVD

Moderator: Moderators

filiarheni
Gold Member

Re: CD "Luminosa"

Post by filiarheni »

danieb88 wrote: <span title="Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:10 pm">6 years ago</span> Thanks for this review-it has made me realise I haven’t ever really listened to this album at all!
Some homework for me over the next few days :D :D
I can only encourage you to do so! This is a very pleasant homework. And please come back afterwards and write what you think about it. :)
"But in the dark and cold of things there always, always something sings"
kinda_k00l
Silver Member

Post by kinda_k00l »

filiarheni wrote: <span title="Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:37 pm">6 years ago</span> Very interesting that you find it nostalgic, just like I do (okay, later you say you find almost everything nostalgic 8) , but here you point it out just very distinctly). Nostalgic in the best way, that's self-evident. But why! What is it that evokes this feeling? I've often thought about it, but can't find an answer - and I'm curious to know ...
I think I can't have a perfect explanation as to why I feel nostalgic when listening to Vespera. A fresh breeze on a green hill is what appears in my imagination, and the whole song from beginning to end is like a sweet reminiscence for some reason. The opening chant & the bridge seem less 'green', but I also don't know why - I just feel that way. I would say that I find almost everything nostalgic, but as you said, not everything can be THIS distinctly nostalgic - usually just a vague feeling, but in this song's case is different.

Surpinto wrote: <span title="Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:54 am">6 years ago</span> As for Vespera, Robert Prizeman uses Thomas Tallis’ Te Lucis Ante Terminum as the entry point of the song and does it brilliantly. Tallis’ piece stands quite well on its own but this takes that theme into a new and amazing direction. One of the best Libera songs ever.
Sorry for forgetting to say thank you earlier, but I've just carefully read through this thread again and found a new favorite piece of music thanks to you!! :D

andmar wrote: <span title="Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:33 pm">6 years ago</span> I underwent a similar process for most of the songs from the "Luminosa". For some of them I needed more time ("Luminosa", "Stabat", "Veni Sancte") for others just a couple of listenings were enough ("Attendite", "Semele", "Silencium").
Have you ever listen to the original 'Semele' & 'Clair de Lune' (which 'Luminosa' is based on)? My opinion is that one finds it easier to listen to the pieces with more familiar musical materials. Of course that's not the case for everyone, I'm just curious. :?
andmar wrote: <span title="Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:33 pm">6 years ago</span> When comparing the "Luminosa" album with the more recent ones we can definitely notice the evolution of Libera music. It is not only because of the ever changing set of choristers and soloists but first of all because of entering new areas of music. And all this with maintaining the characteristic Libera style. I am glad that Libera music found its way to the point where it is now with more diversity, more soloists, more genres if it can be said so. But I also very much love the older songs.
THIS is what I really really like about Libera music and also why I admire RP so much. Libera music ranges from chants, hymns, classical works to modern pop songs, yet the "Liberaesque" is still there throughout the songs, no matter what genres/types they are. I hope Libera will forever be this way - keeping the 'core' of the sound (?) no matter what approach(es) they take.

filiarheni wrote: <span title="Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:37 pm">6 years ago</span> And I do not believe that these are singular personal preferences. I feel an intense wish that we could convince Libera to make some of these precious songs of the past their and our present and future again. Good music never grows old.
Completely agree! I would nominate 'Vespera' first, please. 8)
Aliens: What does the humankind have that can be given out for the sake of the universe?
Me: *shows LIBERA, KALAFINA & DULCIS VOX :lol:*
andmar
Silver Member

Post by andmar »

kinda_k00l wrote: <span title="Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:39 am">6 years ago</span>
andmar wrote: <span title="Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:33 pm">6 years ago</span> I underwent a similar process for most of the songs from the "Luminosa". For some of them I needed more time ("Luminosa", "Stabat", "Veni Sancte") for others just a couple of listenings were enough ("Attendite", "Semele", "Silencium").
Have you ever listen to the original 'Semele' & 'Clair de Lune' (which 'Luminosa' is based on)? My opinion is that one finds it easier to listen to the pieces with more familiar musical materials. Of course that's not the case for everyone, I'm just curious. :?
Yes. I have listened to the original versions of the songs you mentioned as well as the original versions of almost all Libera songs which are based on other pieces. I'm always very curious to find out, to which extent the original music piece elements are preserved in the Libera version and what is different. In fact, the original piano version of "Clair de Lune" helped me a lot with Libera's "Luminosa".
Joshua Wake

Post by Joshua Wake »

I too get nostalgic when listening to Vespera, so Epic, gets me ready to face obstacles.
filiarheni
Gold Member

Post by filiarheni »

If they would create one wishing song for a concert ... 8)
andmar
Silver Member

Post by andmar »

I'm also ready to sign a petition for "Vespera" in a concert set list. With all my hands and feet :lol: :lol: :lol:
kinda_k00l
Silver Member

Post by kinda_k00l »

filiarheni wrote: <span title="Sat Mar 17, 2018 4:19 pm">6 years ago</span> If they would create one wishing song for a concert ... 8)
This is actually a really good idea that I support. Like, they can just open a poll on their website or something with some certain songs and let others vote for that 'one wishing song' (without showing the results in order not to spoil the surprise). :roll:
Aliens: What does the humankind have that can be given out for the sake of the universe?
Me: *shows LIBERA, KALAFINA & DULCIS VOX :lol:*
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

I would love to hear Vespera at a concert; it's being a long standing wish for both Dani and I to hear it live. But there is another song I would want back that many of you might not have experienced live - Mysterium.

It is a great song to start the second half of the concert . The medieval cathedral is dark by the time the interval is finished and with the right lighting and staging it is completely and uniquely Libera. There are two versions that I shall never forget; Ed Day in 2009 and Stefan and Ralph in Chester in 2010. Both were breathtaking performances.
If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

Yorkie wrote: <span title="Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:45 am">6 years ago</span> I would love to hear Vespera at a concert; it's being a long standing wish for both Dani and I to hear it live. But there is another song I would want back that many of you might not have experienced live - Mysterium.

It is a great song to start the second half of the concert . The medieval cathedral is dark by the time the interval is finished and with the right lighting and staging it is completely and uniquely Libera. There are two versions that I shall never forget; Ed Day in 2009 and Stefan and Ralph in Chester in 2010. Both were breathtaking performances.
Both songs would be amazing to hear live. Just out of curiosity, if you had to choose which would you pick?
john45
Gold Member

Post by john45 »

Have to agree best concert version of "Mysterium" was Ed Day (Arundel 2009). Stefan/Ralph duet at Chester was great, but with the spectacular staging, St. Louis 2010 was even better. It is due for a comeback - but if I had to choose between Mysterium and Vespera, I would choose Vespera. But who would you pick for the solo?
filiarheni
Gold Member

Post by filiarheni »

Both, both! :mrgreen: :lol:

Okay: Mysterium! In fact, this is the first I'd like to hear live. It's the song I was convinced about that this could only be a recorded matter, but never a live performance. When I heard that it indeed was being performed live quite often, I was very happy. Yes, I'd love to experience it in a very old cathedral, with the creepy atmosphere that this music creates. That must be greatly impressive.

You who have attended concerts in many kind of churches: Which one did/would you like best for Mysterium and why?

However, I'd have to choose between two songs I haven't heard live, while I think that those who like both songs and heard Mysterium already will probably choose Vespera?

For Vespera's solo: Leo maybe. Or Gabe? But I don't know the condition of the other boys. So maybe a surprise would do.
john45
Gold Member

Post by john45 »

[quote=filiarheni post_id=52168 time=1521912790 user_id=1586]
B
You who have attended concerts in many kind of churches: Which one did/would you like best for Mysterium and why? [quote]

St Louis Basilica. The picture showing the position of the soloists explains why.

st.louis (1).jpg
st.louis (1).jpg (469.25 KiB) Viewed 3109 times
st.louis (1).jpg
st.louis (1).jpg (469.25 KiB) Viewed 3109 times
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

john45 wrote: <span title="Sat Mar 24, 2018 3:42 pm">6 years ago</span> Have to agree best concert version of "Mysterium" was Ed Day (Arundel 2009). Stefan/Ralph duet at Chester was great, but with the spectacular staging, St. Louis 2010 was even better. It is due for a comeback - but if I had to choose between Mysterium and Vespera, I would choose Vespera. But who would you pick for the solo?
Wow, that's a tough question. Vespera seems like it is not the easiest song to sing so I am not sure who would fit the bill for this piece. Originally it was sung by Steven Geraghty who sang in the higher register. Of the current soloist core those who do a lot of the higher parts would be Merlin, Taichi, and Leo. Is that correct or am I inadvertently missing anyone? I could add Oliver to that list because he sang the "Stay With Me" solo as I was recently reminded in a different thread and that is usually someone in the higher register too; but he is also very new to doing solos.

The most experienced and proven chorister of that group would be Merlin hands down. That would probably be the likely choice; as well my own preference of the current group.

If we were to consider past choristers rather than current ones then I would specifically think of Thomas Delgado-Little as being perfect for the song also.
john45
Gold Member

Post by john45 »

Surpinto wrote: <span title="Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:32 pm">6 years ago</span>
john45 wrote: <span title="Sat Mar 24, 2018 3:42 pm">6 years ago</span> Have to agree best concert version of "Mysterium" was Ed Day (Arundel 2009). Stefan/Ralph duet at Chester was great, but with the spectacular staging, St. Louis 2010 was even better. It is due for a comeback - but if I had to choose between Mysterium and Vespera, I would choose Vespera. But who would you pick for the solo?
Wow, that's a tough question. Vespera seems like it is not the easiest song to sing so I am not sure who would fit the bill for this piece. Originally it was sung by Steven Geraghty who sang in the higher register. Of the current soloist core those who do a lot of the higher parts would be Merlin, Taichi, and Leo. Is that correct or am I inadvertently missing anyone? I could add Oliver to that list because he sang the "Stay With Me" solo as I was recently reminded in a different thread and that is usually someone in the higher register too; but he is also very new to doing solos.

The most experienced and proven chorister of that group would be Merlin hands down. That would probably be the likely choice; as well my own preference of the current group.

If we were to consider past choristers rather than current ones then I would specifically think of Thomas Delgado-Little as being perfect for the song also.
Yes, TDL would have been perfect. Of the current soloists, Gabriel is at his peak and still capable of the high notes (he recently sang Allegri's Miserere at St. P's) and you also missed Ben B who sang a solo "Angel" on the China tour and a perfect "Magnificat in G" (Stanford) at St.P's a few weeks ago. Those you mention would also be quite capable but I think it would best suit the voices of either Oliver M or Ben B.
filiarheni
Gold Member

Post by filiarheni »

After so many different, comprehensible suggestions it would be a great pity to remain without a proof ... :wink: