New album is called Hope

Talk about Libera CD/DVD

Moderator: Moderators

dani
Diamond Member

Re: New album is called Hope

Post by dani »

Yorkie wrote: <span title="Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:34 am">6 years ago</span>
dani wrote: <span title="Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:32 am">6 years ago</span> Did Joe Platt not do the original high notes and then the solo on Stay With Me and then when it was performed live that was changed so two boys did the two separate parts?

That’s one occasion off the top of my head where that’s happened.
I was broken off by a phone call otherwise I would have posted mine first!

I think you just copied me personally 😂

It’s quite good to have a new topic to discuss on here again. Patrick you can ask Merlin next month if there is a meet and greet 😄
filiarheni
Gold Member

Post by filiarheni »

Yes, it's a task now! :lol:

Surpinto wrote: <span title="Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:02 am">6 years ago</span>
filiarheni wrote: <span title="Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:07 am">6 years ago</span> The song is not very old yet. Maybe Robert wanted to wait if people like it; so maybe we will get it live one day?
There are many songs that Libera has never sung live and will never sing live. "Secret" was never sung live [...]
Yes, I meant that I find Venite Adoremus too young to already speculate why (or fear that :wink: ) it is never going to be sung live and for what reason.

Surpinto wrote: <span title="Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:02 am">6 years ago</span> Assuming it is the same voice on Venite Adoremus, for what reason would Robert Prizeman do this? A person harmonizes with themselves better than with another and it would create a more smooth transition and feel of the song. Using multiple soloists creates a different feel.
Hmmmm. Wouldn't this in reverse conclusion mean that using different soloists in a live situation of the song can't be more than a compromise?
I like different singers in a song, I find it enriching. There are again and again soloists in Libera at the same time, whose voices blend into each other so perfectly, but still keep a certain tension due to their differences to make the music interesting. This increases my enjoyment of a song. That's why I can't help finding dueting with oneself (real simultaneous duets, not the sort Libera does here of course) boring ...

dani wrote: <span title="Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:32 am">6 years ago</span> Did Joe Platt not do the original high notes and then the solo on Stay With Me and then when it was performed live that was changed so two boys did the two separate parts?

Thank you for giving this example. I didn't know that!

Yorkie wrote: <span title="Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:33 am">6 years ago</span> Coming back to the 'Hope' album, songs like 'Three Ravens' list multiple singers so why wouldn't that track? I think the high part is at least as important as the one in 'Three Ravens'.
Absolutely, it's essential.
As for listing the singers: I have been trying to find out the soloist of Ave Verum, without success so far, as there is sadly no listing in the album. The same in the earlier version of I am the Day. :cry:

Now I still have to listen and compare and think about Merlin ... 8)

Ok, at least, I believe to be able to identify one of the boys in the intro of Venite Adoremus: Camden. :lol:
"But in the dark and cold of things there always, always something sings"
dani
Diamond Member

Post by dani »

I just want to add that Secret has definitely been sung live in concerts.

Josh performed it and then Ben P if I am remembering correctly.
john45
Gold Member

Post by john45 »

Have to agree with Yorkie that if anyone other than Merlin had done the opening and closing AhAhs and the descant he would have been given credit in the insert booklet - would certainly deserve it. I think the overlap at 3.32 is a touch of RP electronic wizardry. Agree that Camden's distinctive voice can be heard from about 1.04 to 1.16. Might get the definitive answer this weekend.
filiarheni
Gold Member

Post by filiarheni »

dani wrote: <span title="Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:12 pm">6 years ago</span> I just want to add that Secret has definitely been sung live in concerts.

Whaaat? :o :o I'd never thought that the particular, special Secret had ever been performed live in concerts! Are you sure? When was that? Please let us know so that I can first bemoan to be so Libera-young and second build up a justified hope that it will come back on stage one day. :wink: :!:
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

filiarheni wrote: <span title="Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:26 am">6 years ago</span>
dani wrote: <span title="Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:12 pm">6 years ago</span> I just want to add that Secret has definitely been sung live in concerts.

Whaaat? :o :o I'd never thought that the particular, special Secret had ever been performed live in concerts! Are you sure? When was that? Please let us know so that I can first bemoan to be so Libera-young and second build up a justified hope that it will come back on stage one day. :wink: :!:
Yes, it was on the concert programme back in 2009 (after the release of the album) - I heard it myself :D I can't remember if it was still on the set list in 2010 but they do tend to keep songs in rotation for a while so I suspect it was.
If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
filiarheni
Gold Member

Post by filiarheni »

Thank you! Now I've searched at www.libera-songs.de which concerts that were and the set lists for 2009 are not yet complete, but Arundel is listed there with Josh and then Belfast with Ben P. and also Jakob. I can well imagine Jakob for that because of his soft voice.

So now I have to fall on my knees and beg not only for Vespera, but also Secret in concert.

This was an enlightening aside here! :D
dani
Diamond Member

Post by dani »

Secret you can see it being sung at 16.55 mins by Ben P

kinda_k00l
Silver Member

Post by kinda_k00l »

It's been a while since I last listen to Venite Adoremus, thanks for reminding me of it! :D

I've only attended 3 concerts of Libera and based on my (not so good) memory, I don't think it's either Leo, or Taichi, or Rocco who sings the high notes. Gabriel or Merlin may be the one in my opinion.
But can it be one of the older members (Gregor or Alessandro, for instance)? I find the voice singing the descant rather 'mature' but I'm not sure. It's important to note that I'm not good at remembering singing voices.
Also, I believe there's a chance that the lower 'hmm' parts at the beginning and the end are synthesized, or maybe some voices are, others are not. If they indeed don't use synthesizers, maybe the reason for not doing it live (yet) is because those parts are too difficult!
Yorkie wrote: <span title="Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:33 am">6 years ago</span> Coming back to the 'Hope' album, songs like 'Three Ravens' list multiple singers so why wouldn't that track? I think the high part is at least as important as the one in 'Three Ravens'.
Yes, my question exactly. :?

filiarheni wrote: <span title="Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:07 am">6 years ago</span> What would be the value added to have one and the same boy sing the solo and the vocalises throughout one song, as long as they have enough other boys capable of doing solos? In my opinion, the songs become more interesting if these two very different tasks are divided among two different boys, and it's more team work.
This I agree. :)
Aliens: What does the humankind have that can be given out for the sake of the universe?
Me: *shows LIBERA, KALAFINA & DULCIS VOX :lol:*
filiarheni
Gold Member

Post by filiarheni »

dani wrote: <span title="Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:51 am">6 years ago</span> Secret you can see it being sung at 16.55 mins by Ben P

Thank you, dani! I didn't know this video; it's amazing to discover such jewels. :)

:o :? That confuses me now. The recording on "Free" and "Eternal" is this one. But that's Joe Platt and Joseph Sanders-Wilde?

kinda_k00l wrote: <span title="Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:32 pm">6 years ago</span> Yorkie wrote: ↑<span title="|19 Apr 2018|, 12:33">2 days ago</span>
Coming back to the 'Hope' album, songs like 'Three Ravens' list multiple singers so why wouldn't that track? I think the high part is at least as important as the one in 'Three Ravens'.

Yes, my question exactly.
Since on "Hope" Alessandro and Alex M. are, apart from Gregor as main soloist, listed for Three Ravens as well as Alessandro is listed for Smile, together with Gabe, can we assume that mentioning all essential soloists was consistently persevered throughout the CD? In this case, not listing Merlin would mean that he sings the vocalises. Although I'm not so happy with such a double role in one and the same song, I would like to believe it, because then the way of crediting the soloists would finally have improved!
However, what still doesn't fit is: There is that second soloist in Benedictus Deus, doing the same as Alessandro in Smile, but there's no mention of his name ...

Stay With Me as said above only listed Joe on the CD, but the vocalises were obviously sung by Joseph. And the worst case whose reason I can't understand until today is crediting Liam as the only soloist of Sancte, although it's Tom Cully who sings the first solo part. Why? Was it simply forgotten?
dani
Diamond Member

Post by dani »

filiarheni wrote: <span title="Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:09 pm">6 years ago</span>
dani wrote: <span title="Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:51 am">6 years ago</span> Secret you can see it being sung at 16.55 mins by Ben P

Thank you, dani! I didn't know this video; it's amazing to discover such jewels. :)

:o :? That confuses me now. The recording on "Free" and "Eternal" is this one. But that's Joe Platt and Joseph Sanders-Wilde?

kinda_k00l wrote: <span title="Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:32 pm">6 years ago</span> Yorkie wrote: ↑<span title="|19 Apr 2018|, 12:33">2 days ago</span>
Coming back to the 'Hope' album, songs like 'Three Ravens' list multiple singers so why wouldn't that track? I think the high part is at least as important as the one in 'Three Ravens'.

Yes, my question exactly.
Since on "Hope" Alessandro and Alex M. are, apart from Gregor as main soloist, listed for Three Ravens as well as Alessandro is listed for Smile, together with Gabe, can we assume that mentioning all essential soloists was consistently persevered throughout the CD? In this case, not listing Merlin would mean that he sings the vocalises. Although I'm not so happy with such a double role in one and the same song, I would like to believe it, because then the way of crediting the soloists would finally have improved!
However, what still doesn't fit is: There is that second soloist in Benedictus Deus, doing the same as Alessandro in Smile, but there's no mention of his name ...

Stay With Me as said above only listed Joe on the CD, but the vocalises were obviously sung by Joseph. And the worst case whose reason I can't understand until today is crediting Liam as the only soloist of Sancte, although it's Tom Cully who sings the first solo part. Why? Was it simply forgotten?

Joe SW was dubbed for the video as it was Joe who did both parts on the cd. It’s just the magic of what happens in the studio.

And i think in the video and live it doesn’t work to have one boy doing both parts. In the studio you don’t sing a whole song though it’s done in sections and so it’s easier to do both parts and put it together.
filiarheni
Gold Member

Post by filiarheni »

dani wrote: <span title="Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:11 pm">6 years ago</span> Joe SW was dubbed for the video as it was Joe who did both parts on the cd.
Could you please post your source you base that upon?
dani
Diamond Member

Post by dani »

filiarheni wrote: <span title="Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:16 am">6 years ago</span>
dani wrote: <span title="Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:11 pm">6 years ago</span> Joe SW was dubbed for the video as it was Joe who did both parts on the cd.
Could you please post your source you base that upon?
It’s just a known fact that Joe did both parts. Most stuff from Libera is word of mouth and you can ever accept as the truth or you can have doubts.

How many Libera things get confirmed by the group as it’s not like they do many interviews ?

Yorkie also said the same thing, it’s not something I have made up. If you want Libera to confirm what we have told you I think you shall be waiting a very long time unfortunately 😀
john45
Gold Member

Post by john45 »

It's official. Merlin sang all the high bits in "Venite Adoremus". There was some studio editing. A mother knows.
kinda_k00l
Silver Member

Post by kinda_k00l »

john45 wrote: <span title="Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:33 pm">6 years ago</span> It's official. Merlin sang all the high bits in "Venite Adoremus". There was some studio editing. A mother knows.
I didn't even think about this before. :shock: Thank you, John! :D
Aliens: What does the humankind have that can be given out for the sake of the universe?
Me: *shows LIBERA, KALAFINA & DULCIS VOX :lol:*