Libera Members Time Line

Current and former Members of Libera

Moderator: Moderators

Dinedorelle
Silver Member

Re: Libera Members Time Line

Post by Dinedorelle »

This is an interesting one I just found......
Two new names and some year shuffling needed by the looks of it.

Amie_Hill
Silver Member

Post by Amie_Hill »

Ian Grimley was an adult singer only; I wish I could remember on which album, but someone out there probably knows.

I once had some correspondence with him, and I recall that he said that Robert Prizeman called him "The Great Grimlino," because he was well over six feet tall. He didn't really remember much about the boys, I suspect because he had little contact with them.
Lux Aeterna

Post by Lux Aeterna »

He was the soloist on "The Lord is my shepherd" in the Sing Forever ( 1988 ) album. And is an adult singer of course.
The heaven soars with voices above...
Dinedorelle
Silver Member

Post by Dinedorelle »

Lux Aeterna wrote: <span title="Thu Sep 30, 2021 8:29 pm">2 years ago</span> He was the soloist on "The Lord is my shepherd" in the Sing Forever ( 1988 ) album. And is an adult singer of course.
I don't possess an image of the inlay of that album, but on the LiberaBoysChoir site, it indicates he sung the solo too.
He had a really nice soprano voice in 1988. As Robert Prizeman called him the 'Big Grimlino', it seems he continued for some years after his voice change?
Lux Aeterna

Post by Lux Aeterna »

Dinedorelle wrote: <span title="Thu Sep 30, 2021 9:19 pm">2 years ago</span>
Lux Aeterna wrote: <span title="Thu Sep 30, 2021 8:29 pm">2 years ago</span> He was the soloist on "The Lord is my shepherd" in the Sing Forever ( 1988 ) album. And is an adult singer of course.
I don't possess an image of the inlay of that album, but on the LiberaBoysChoir site, it indicates he sung the solo too.
He had a really nice soprano voice in 1988. As Robert Prizeman called him the 'Big Grimlino', it seems he continued for some years after his voice change?
Exactly. But the soloist listed ad Ian Grimley is a man, not a boy. A lovely baritone voice.
The heaven soars with voices above...
Dinedorelle
Silver Member

Post by Dinedorelle »

Lux Aeterna wrote: <span title="Thu Sep 30, 2021 9:54 pm">2 years ago</span>
Dinedorelle wrote: <span title="Thu Sep 30, 2021 9:19 pm">2 years ago</span>
Exactly. But the soloist listed ad Ian Grimley is a man, not a boy. A lovely baritone voice.
You're right! I was listening to the same song title but on a later album (Angel Voices 2), when that solo was sung by a boy, Chris Baron apparently. His is the soprano voice I heard from the 1996 version.
So, if Ian Grimley was a baritone in 1988, he more than likely didn't appear in any of the earliest line-ups that sung San Damiano for example?
Dinedorelle
Silver Member

Post by Dinedorelle »

There is a photo that has been floating around for donkey's years over many forums and sites of old.
It's a photo that has always been recognised and labelled as Gareth Lowman, a choirboy who sung in 1985 with St Philips.
I've doubted it for many years, which is why I've never included the photo on the Timeline.
Amie_Hill and I after some online research and after a posting on another Libera forum, have come to the conclusion that it was originally identified incorrectly.
The forum post showed the image, and 5600 members were asked who they thought it might be.
The answer was unanimous (18 recognised him) and so to put the records straight - it's Liam O'Kane.

This the the original image :

I found a very similar shot at the beginning of the 'I Have A Dream' video (1995). (The image is reversed for comparison).

The Furby

Post by The Furby »

Here is a (very) exciting input :D

I don't usually consult Libera fan groups on facebook, but I just stumbled on a fantastic post, courtesy of a certain Gerald Heath.
What a treasure! He posted over 30 photos of a 1989 trip of the St Philip's Choir to Birmingham. They had a rehearsal at St Paul's Church, and then visited the local firefighters station.
In 1989 Bob Prizeman was persuaded to take the Choir of St Philip's Church Norbury (the forerunner of Libera) to Birmingham and demonstrate the History of Choristers by a musical rendition of Martin How's book. These snaps give some indication of their rehearsal in St Paul's Church in the Jewellery Quarter and the visit they paid to the Fire Station
The choir families from St Columba's church at Banners Gate provided accommodation. The father of one of the boys arranged for their visit to the Fire Station.

Many familiar faces, boys who can be seen on late 1980s album sleeves. Here are the only ones I could identify :

Jaymi Bandtok

Sam Harper
Image Image Image

Gareth Lowman
Image Image

Matthew Arthey
Image Image Image

Ian Tilley
Image Image Image

Robert Chee-A-Tow
Image Image

Here are pictures of the other boys. I cropped the pictures whenever the quality allowed a decent result, but most of them are very small.

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

Also, A row of adult singers can be seen at the back during the St Paul performance. On facebook Ian Grimley gives the names of the adults he recognises :
Paul Orchard (left pic), Norman Hughes, Clive Winter, Ron Winter, Howard Thomas, Ian Grimley (right pic), and Paul Farmer (new name!)
Image Image

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

And here is a young Andy Winter, "in an early chaperone role"

Robert Prizeman, and "possibly Vincent Penfold"on the right.

I have sent a message to Gerald Heath to thank him, and as he obviously is closely linked to the choir of the late 1980s, I mentioned our task here and asked if he'd be willing to provide us with more info, but no reply so far.
bamboo
Silver Member

Post by bamboo »

The Furby wrote: <span title="Sat Feb 19, 2022 8:44 pm">2 years ago</span> Also, A row of adult singers can be seen at the back during the St Paul performance. On facebook Ian Grimley gives the names of the adults he recognises :
Paul Orchard (left pic), Norman Hughes, Clive Winter, Ron Winter, Howard Thomas, Ian Grimley (right pic), and Paul Farmer (new name!)
Great find! Thanks a lot! Any idea if the adults were once in the St Philips Boys Choir/Angel Voices or are they just the adults that sang with the boys?
The Furby

Post by The Furby »

Found a SPBC video I did not know about : another TV performance of San Damiano with Sal Solo (1984).

It's really interesting because, if the date is right, it's the missing link between the "blue cassocks era" and the first appearances in white robes featuring Jaymi Bandtock and others.

Speaking of whom, we can see Jaymi Bandtock and sidekick Sam Harper:
Image Image

Other faces I made captions of :
Image Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image
Luckdragon
Gold Member

Post by Luckdragon »

The Furby wrote: <span title="Thu Aug 04, 2022 11:07 am">1 year ago</span> Found a SPBC video I did not know about : another TV performance of San Damiano with Sal Solo (1984).
I seem to remember a few videos with Sal Solo in the Libera Nation FB group last year. I think it was because the choir accompanied him on his album from around that time.

It'll be awhile before I can provide any more info, but that might be enough for you to dig it up yourself in the meantime.
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

The Furby wrote: <span title="Thu Aug 04, 2022 11:07 am">1 year ago</span>

It's really interesting because, if the date is right, it's the missing link between the "blue cassocks era" and the first appearances in white robes featuring Jaymi Bandtock and others.
Are they not just wearing blue cassocks with a white surplice over it - which would be normal for any Anglican choir when singing?

Why do you think this is a missing link?
If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

Yorkie wrote: <span title="Thu Aug 04, 2022 10:25 pm">1 year ago</span>
The Furby wrote: <span title="Thu Aug 04, 2022 11:07 am">1 year ago</span>

Are they not just wearing blue cassocks with a white surplice over it - which would be normal for any Anglican choir when singing?

Why do you think this is a missing link?
I agree regarding the choral dress. That seems quite, quite clear.
The Furby

Post by The Furby »

Pardon my English as what I wrote didn't really make sense. :?

I was just commenting on the fact that it is the first time I can see Jaymi Bandtock & Sam Harper in blue cassocks and surplices, as in all the other videos (Top of the Pops excepted) they're wearing white robes.
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

The Furby wrote: <span title="Fri Aug 05, 2022 7:25 pm">1 year ago</span> Pardon my English as what I wrote didn't really make sense. :?

I was just commenting on the fact that it is the first time I can see Jaymi Bandtock & Sam Harper in blue cassocks and surplices, as in all the other videos (Top of the Pops excepted) they're wearing white robes.
Oh! No worries then, that makes perfect sense. Reading what you wrote originally I see two ways of understanding/interpreting it: the way you intended and the way Yorkie and I misunderstood it. :D