America the Beautiful Video

Talk about Libera Videos, Movies and Photos here.

Moderator: Moderators

Surpinto
Platinum Member

Re: America the Beautiful Video

Post by Surpinto »

Thanks, dani! :D

I have changed the name of this thread to correspond to the title of the video. It seems they did a different arrangement with certain parts being solos parts (Alessandro, Isaac, Tom, and Ciaran; in that order) rather than doing it whole-group as they did on the "Libera in America" recording. Very cool!

[BBvideo 560,315][/BBvideo]
alcesalcesobservator
Silver Member

Post by alcesalcesobservator »

I like how they pass the solo back and forth. The different qualities of voice really added to it.
labbie

Post by labbie »

Libera performed this arrangement as their encore on the recent U.S.tour, alternating the soloists. As was the case here, it was very effective. I attended the Boston concert, and many members of the audience were moved to tears during this beautiful song. I am Canadian, but I was also moved by this wonderful tribute to my country's American neighbours. Libera continues to touch people emotionally. Well done!
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

Excellent production values and vocals so congratulations to all involved. It does look like a very professional video and whilst the song is obviously not as meaningful to me I can see why it was so well received in the US concerts.

Not sure about the dedication though as that is far from the reality of what the Irish immigrants who actually made it to the USA faced (just ask Tully!)...
Last edited by Yorkie on Fri May 22, 2015 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
JimmyRiddle
Diamond Member

Post by JimmyRiddle »

Nice choice to include 4 different soloists singing a line each, really works well for the video too. Agree it probably means more to those across the pond but it's still a good message to promote. Starts off sombre and reflective and finishes with the trademark rousing finale. Probably the shortest turnaround from filming to release of any of their videos to date I would have thought - just under 3 weeks.
My Twitter; JimmyRiddlez
TullyBascombe
Platinum Member

Post by TullyBascombe »

Yorkie wrote:Excellent production values and vocals so congratulations to all involved. It does look like a very professional video and whilst the song is obviously not as meaningful to me I can see why it was so well received in the US concerts.

Not sure about the dedication though as that is far from the reality of what the Irish immigrants who actually made it to the USA faced (just ask Tully!)...
It is a marvelous video, very well staged. It's a pleasure to see such attention to historical detail, The ships were sail not steam. I've seen historic photographs of immigrants arriving in New York in the 19th century, they really were pretty much that grimy.

As a point of fact American charitable organizations sent more aid to the victims of the Irish Potato Famine than did the government of Great Britain. A sizeable portion of those who crossed the Atlantic were able to do because Americans paid their way, though sometimes that passage came with a heavy price, an ironclad contract with an industrialist seeking cheap labor. Irish immigrant generally fared better in the South and the Mid-Atlantic states, where there was less anti-Catholic and anti-Irish sentiment, than did those who chose New York and Boston as their destinations, there was less anti-Catholic and anti-Irish sentiment. Irish who didn't stay in New York or Boston but moved on to newly available land in the Mid-West did better too. A large number of those who had their voyages to ports in New England or New York though were heavily indebted to industrialists who paid there way and they became trapped in cities where they were considered barely human by the established citizens. Conditions of employment often were such that they would have a great deal of difficulty gaining their freedom, i.e., their wages were so low that they couldn't sustain themselves and pay off their debt at the same time. The movie Gangs of New York portrays those conditions with some, but not that much, exaggeration.
maartendas
Diamond Member

Post by maartendas »

Impressive and interesting video on many levels.

It really gets your imagination working to fill in the story. Nice build up from being inside the ship to coming on deck. You can feel the excitement. I thought it worked really well to use the imagery of the lyrics as a vision of the boys of the land they dream of and where they hope to arrive. A very strong approach. It makes it not a straightforward patriotic song but a song about hope and dreams. (I noticed they call it simply "America" and not "America the Beautiful"...)

Artistic shots too, though maybe a little overdone (the overlapping images). But with good taste. Loved the little cloud of visible breath from the cold, nicely done detail :) And the tap on the shoulder of the sleeping boy: hey, wake up, you have to sing! 8)

The different arrangement, as said, works really well, keeps the song fresh as it goes along.

It's interesting that they continued this historic theme and discarded the robes as a result. Gives them a whole new appearance. No longer "little angels"...
You raise me high beyond the sky
Through stormy night lifting me above
TullyBascombe
Platinum Member

Post by TullyBascombe »

They've done historic themed videos before. In the 1990's they appeared in the British TV series Thora on the Straight and narrow. Some of the segments were historically oriented and they appeared in costumes, gernerally similar to the ones they used for this last video.
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

I hope they continue to do more cool music videos going forward. It looks like JR has a vision for such things along this same historical theme featuring cruddy urchins :lol: singing "Danny Boy" and "Lullabye".

Also, as I already posted in a different thread, several souvenir items are available from this video shoot. I think that's a good way to raise more money. I wonder how they ever got RP to sign two of the items? Apparently he is notorious for not wanting to sign things or take credit for the work he does because he wants all of the attention and praise to go to the choristers; very humble and selfless.
fan_de_LoK
Diamond Member

Post by fan_de_LoK »

Thank you Surpinto :)

Here is the link on the WRCH radio that JR is referring to : http://wrch.cbslocal.com/2015/05/25/lib ... beautiful/
tom413
Gold Member

Post by tom413 »

Thanks, Patrick.
I hope that guy gives them a good plug on his show.
His show notes were sure difficult to read and comprehend.
dani
Diamond Member

Post by dani »

I was hoping for a video of Wayfaring stramger but I guess Danny Boy and Lullabye is next if he can pull it off .

I am personally not a fan of of these songs but if successful then it can only lead to bigger things which is good .
alcesalcesobservator
Silver Member

Post by alcesalcesobservator »

Surpinto wrote:I hope they continue to do more cool music videos going forward. It looks like JR has a vision for such things along this same historical theme featuring cruddy urchins :lol: singing "Danny Boy" and "Lullabye".
I'd like to see more robed videos, myself. Cruddy urchins are cute, but the robes are Libera's trademark.
TullyBascombe
Platinum Member

Post by TullyBascombe »

fan_de_LoK wrote:Thank you Surpinto :)

Here is the link on the WRCH radio that JR is referring to : http://wrch.cbslocal.com/2015/05/25/lib ... beautiful/
What does he mean when he writes: "They will be playing at the Jorgensen in stores this December?"
tom413
Gold Member

Post by tom413 »

That's a good example of what I was complaining about.
Libera has a concert scheduled at The Jorgensen Center in Connecticut
in December.