America the Beautiful Video

Talk about Libera Videos, Movies and Photos here.

Moderator: Moderators

Yorkie
Diamond Member

Re: New Libera Video Forthcoming

Post by Yorkie »

alcesalcesobservator wrote: So an immigration theme? Docks or a boat, perhaps?
I think that is the general idea - imagine the Wonderful World urchins escaping the dangerous jobs and hard labour and catching a boat from Ireland to the US, passing the Statue of Liberty en route to Ellis Island, and landing in New York and then on to the wide open plains, mountains, oceans, etc,etc
If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

TullyBascombe wrote:Washington was an officer of the Virginia militia, in fact he was appointed commander of the Virginia Regiment, but he never held a commission in the British Army. He was in fact involved in the very outbreak of the French and Indian / Seven Years War. At a meeting with an envoy of the French shots were fired, the envoy was killed, war broke out in North America and then spread literally throughout the world. After the war he expected a commission in the British Army, but was ultimately disappointed. I don't think the British knew what to do with him. He started a costly war, but in the end Great Britain made out like a bandit, gaining ultimate control of India and other major colonies in North America, the Caribbean, Africa and East Asia.
I'm having flashbacks to high school history class :)
TullyBascombe
Platinum Member

Post by TullyBascombe »

Are you kidding? During my public education we had 3 years of Virginia history: 3rd grade, 7th grade, and 9th grade.
TullyBascombe
Platinum Member

Post by TullyBascombe »

Yorkie wrote:
I think that is the general idea - imagine the Wonderful World urchins escaping the dangerous jobs and hard labour and catching a boat from Ireland to the US, passing the Statue of Liberty en route to Ellis Island, and landing in New York and then on to the wide open plains, mountains, oceans, etc,etc
Actually the UK banned (most) child labor nearly decades before the US did. The UK introduced a degree of regulation of child labor in 1833, more than a half century before the first state in the US. For that matter there are politicians in the US still attempting to repeal the Fair Labor Act which includes the restrictions on child labor.

Think of the name of a great American from the 19th century - Lincoln, Carnegie, Rockefeller, Vanderbilt, Edison, Ford - every single one of them went to work before reaching puberty.
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

TullyBascombe wrote: Actually the UK banned (most) child labor nearly decades before the US did. The UK introduced a degree of regulation of child labor in 1833, more than a half century before the first state in the US. For that matter there are politicians in the US still attempting to repeal the Fair Labor Act which includes the restrictions on child labor.

Think of the name of a great American from the 19th century - Lincoln, Carnegie, Rockefeller, Vanderbilt, Edison, Ford - every single one of them went to work before reaching puberty.
Ah, but that might not make for such a good video - sending our boys off to the New World to be exploited by evil tycoons. Perhaps we had best stick with the myth!
Last edited by Yorkie on Thu Apr 30, 2015 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mercy & Love
TullyBascombe
Platinum Member

Post by TullyBascombe »

Yorkie wrote:
TullyBascombe wrote: Actually the UK banned (most) child labor nearly decades before the US did. The UK introduced a degree of regulation of child labor in 1833, more than a half century before the first state in the US. For that matter there are politicians in the US still attempting to repeal the Fair Labor Act which includes the restrictions on child labor.

Ah, but that might not make for such a good video - sending our boys of to the New World to be exploited by evil tycoons. Perhaps we had best stick with the myth!
OK, in the finest tradition of Horatio Alger's Ragged Dick,Tattered Tom,and Luck and Pluck how's about they become evil tycoons after crossing the pond?
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

Yorkie wrote:
Looks like you both are right! They tweeted out this picture just today.

alcesalcesobservator
Silver Member

Post by alcesalcesobservator »

Wow! They really upped the dirt in this one! You could grow potatoes on those necks.
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

alcesalcesobservator wrote:Wow! They really upped the dirt in this one! You could grow potatoes on those necks.
Dirt? that's what we call a tan in Yorkshire :lol:

Mercy & Love
TullyBascombe
Platinum Member

Post by TullyBascombe »

Ah well, the problem wasn't the growing of potatoes, rather it was the failure thereof - the potato crops I mean.

So the video will probably be of the boys boarding on a sailing ship for America? That would work, the main wave of Irish came over in the 1830's and 1840's, they would have arrived in sailing ships, not steamers.
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

alcesalcesobservator wrote:Wow! They really upped the dirt in this one! You could grow potatoes on those necks.
Actually, I was thinking about that what you said - "you could grow potatoes on those necks" and I realised my mum said that to me when I was a little kid and she was dragging me in to the bathroom to get a wash :D Now, I think you're in the USA so is that a conmen phrase in the States or do you have some recent British heritage in the family?

Mercy & Love
alcesalcesobservator
Silver Member

Yorkie wrote:
Actually, I was thinking about that what you said - "you could grow potatoes on those necks" and I realised my mum said that to me when I was a little kid and she was dragging me in to the bathroom to get a wash :D Now, I think you're in the USA so is that a common phrase in the States or do you have some recent British heritage in the family?
Actually I first remembering hearing the phrase--slightly adapted-- here (1:50) : [BBvideo 425,350][/BBvideo]
LuxVenit
Silver Member

Post by LuxVenit »

Somebody in my family would always say that we could grow potatoes in our ears, they were so dirty. I can't recall who though.
“My heart, which is so full to overflowing, has often been solaced and refreshed by music when sick and weary.” ― Martin Luther
TullyBascombe
Platinum Member

Post by TullyBascombe »

Same here, and the folks on both sides of my family consider the pilgrims late comers. Maybe the phrase originated in Ireland and was carried over by Libera in 1833.
alcesalcesobservator
Silver Member

12 boys, a lot of dirt.