America the Beautiful Video

Talk about Libera Videos, Movies and Photos here.

Moderator: Moderators

john45
Gold Member

Re: New Libera Video Forthcoming

Post by john45 »

TullyBascombe wrote:A DVD of one song and the boys talking about making the DVD? That sounds like an extremely short DVD. Then he talks about a Libera: musical. Surely he can't put that together in less than 2 weeks? Maybe he's talking about a project he envisions for some time in the future, not what's coming out on May 22.
The idea of a Libera "Musical" scares me. I fear for the eventual Americanisation of the Libera that we know and love, First to go will be songs in Latin - already on the way out. Then cathedral concerts will be no more - replaced by singalongs in sports stadiums. The robes will be next to go - perhaps to make way for line-dancing in jeans and cowboy hats. No Thanks.
dani
Diamond Member

Post by dani »

It is a shame that at the cost of wanting to break America that Libera are selling out in a sense.

I honestly don't get the fascination of wanting to break America at the cost of the group losing there identity!!
alcesalcesobservator
Silver Member

Post by alcesalcesobservator »

dani wrote:It is a shame that at the cost of wanting to break America that Libera are selling out in a sense.

I honestly don't get the fascination of wanting to break America at the cost of the group losing there identity!!
How do you think they're selling out? And I don't understand what you mean by "fascination of wanting to break America".
chris17

Post by chris17 »

Before everyone panics that Libera will become "Americanized" - remember that America has cathedrals too. I'm a choir member in quite a nice one, actually, although it's not the same kind of choir you might find in the UK - no boarding school with choristers, just community people. Despite being American, I think my choir would be shocked at the idea of us line-dancing or wearing cowboy hats. Libera making a music video of historic events, set to a fairly solemn song - even if it is a patriotic American song - is a long way from sing-a-longs in a stadium. However, I'm more concerned by the ideas of a musical. I don't think that would fit Libera well.

If they do go down some route of musicals and more DVDs, etc., I don't think it's going to be to "break America" (whatever that means), but to utilize a source of funding. John Rexroad seems to have a lot of ideas, some perhaps better than others, so I hope that Robert Prizeman will use his good judgment.

As far as what's coming out on May 22, it has to be a YouTube video, not a DVD. Otherwise the comments about sending it to 10 friends and asking them to send it 10 more, and about the boys watching the views counter, would not make any sense. I can see them making a DVD with Libera videos and extras related to the videos, but I'm guessing that won't be coming out on May 22.
alcesalcesobservator
Silver Member

chris17 wrote:Before everyone panics that Libera will become "Americanized" - remember that America has cathedrals too. I'm a choir member in quite a nice one, actually, although it's not the same kind of choir you might find in the UK - no boarding school with choristers, just community people. Despite being American, I think my choir would be shocked at the idea of us line-dancing or wearing cowboy hats. Libera making a music video of historic events, set to a fairly solemn song - even if it is a patriotic American song - is a long way from sing-a-longs in a stadium. However, I'm more concerned by the ideas of a musical. I don't think that would fit Libera well.

If they do go down some route of musicals and more DVDs, etc., I don't think it's going to be to "break America" (whatever that means), but to utilize a source of funding. John Rexroad seems to have a lot of ideas, some perhaps better than others, so I hope that Robert Prizeman will use his good judgment.

As far as what's coming out on May 22, it has to be a YouTube video, not a DVD. Otherwise the comments about sending it to 10 friends and asking them to send it 10 more, and about the boys watching the views counter, would not make any sense. I can see them making a DVD with Libera videos and extras related to the videos, but I'm guessing that won't be coming out on May 22.
Well put.
TullyBascombe
Platinum Member

Post by TullyBascombe »

chris17 wrote:Before everyone panics that Libera will become "Americanized" - remember that America has cathedrals too. I'm a choir member in quite a nice one, actually, although it's not the same kind of choir you might find in the UK - no boarding school with choristers, just community people.
I believe St. Thomas Episcopal in New York has a choir school complete with boarded students.

I'm a bit concerned this fellow may over-reach. He's talking about 10,000 seat venues, inviting 5000 servicemen / veterans, a new DVD and a musical. I'm hoping that he doesn't exceed the resources of the American support group for Libera.
JimmyRiddle
Diamond Member

Post by JimmyRiddle »

I hope Libera doesn't become to 'gimmicky' and stays true to the values and reputation they have spent years cultivating. I'm optimistic the 'inner circle' are still making all the right decisions, and wouldn't put any of this at risk. I'm looking forward to the new film.
My Twitter; JimmyRiddlez
alcesalcesobservator
Silver Member

There have been "weird" moments in Libera's image before--clunkers we now grin about. Anybody remember this? [BBvideo 425,350][/BBvideo]
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

alcesalcesobservator wrote:There have been "weird" moments in Libera's image before--clunkers we now grin about. Anybody remember this? [BBvideo 425,350][/BBvideo]
Hehe :)

Yeah, I think their success has been in branching out from a simple church choir to eventually what they are today. Think about the first Libera album and how much of a change it is from more recent albums they have released.

I think there is always going to be an element of trial and error but they have never done anything brash or that was many degrees of separation from where they were; in short, they always try new things in small steps. It is appropriate and right that they do so.

There is always going to be something that doesn't work as well, but I do not think that the Libera organization has a history in any way whatsoever of choosing music or staging that is a complete opposite to the image they have cultivated prior. If they change, they change slowly over long periods of time. This can be seen in the evolution of their albums as I already said.

So I do not think it is time to panic or start believing that anyone is about to compel them to do things that run counter to who they are.
TullyBascombe
Platinum Member

Post by TullyBascombe »

A Libera film? Could you imagine a Libera version of "A Hard Day's Night'?

Hold on to that thought and sleep on it.

Which of the boys do you think is the most RIngo-like?
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

TullyBascombe wrote:A Libera film? Could you imagine a Libera version of "A Hard Day's Night'?

Hold on to that thought and sleep on it.

Which of the boys do you think is the most RIngo-like?
I really doubt that such a project is even a consideration for anyone in the Libera upper leadership; I think it is something JR mentioned because he was thinking "Wouldn't it be cool if...."

That's what it seems like to me anyway.

Not sure which boy is most Ringo like lol but after that recent radio interview we know which one is most Justin Beiber like hahaha :lol: :wink:
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

Last edited by Surpinto on Thu May 21, 2015 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
alcesalcesobservator
Silver Member

Thanks for the pictures. It looks like a very grubby shoot!
TullyBascombe
Platinum Member

Post by TullyBascombe »

I was going to ask if that was real dirt or theatric dirt, but then I saw the left most picture on the second row from the bottom and my question was answered.
dani
Diamond Member

Post by dani »

Video is up