Universities in and around London

Talk about anything else here

Moderator: Moderators

Mathmaniac
Silver Member

Universities in and around London

Post by Mathmaniac »

I am looking to study education in London for a year or two at a graduate level, starting around August/September next year. I will have a BS in Physics/Math, and an MS in Mathematics (hopefully) by that time.

Any suggestions as to where I should look into?
"The true joy of life is the journey. Don't become obsessed with calculating the steps to achieve goals. Instead, eat more ice cream, go barefoot more often, swim more rivers, watch more sunsets, laugh more, cry less, and enjoy the presence of the people around you."
- Dr. John Grieco, 1941-2004
kjackson83

Re: Universities in and around London

Post by kjackson83 »

Mathmaniac wrote:I am looking to study education in London for a year or two at a graduate level, starting around August/September next year. I will have a BS in Physics/Math, and an MS in Mathematics (hopefully) by that time.

Any suggestions as to where I should look into?
Depending on what your major is...

...the London School of Economics--ultra-prestigious and one of the most internationally renowned institutions in Great Britain.
Mathmaniac
Silver Member

Post by Mathmaniac »

I'm looking to persue education, specifically secondary education in the sciences (math or physics). Gradewise, I doubt I would be able to get into the most prestigious schools, but like I said, I will have my masters of science in mathematics by the middle of May.
"The true joy of life is the journey. Don't become obsessed with calculating the steps to achieve goals. Instead, eat more ice cream, go barefoot more often, swim more rivers, watch more sunsets, laugh more, cry less, and enjoy the presence of the people around you."
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

I myself was wondering about higher education opportunities in the UK. I am graduating high school this year and am scrambling at what colleges to look at and apply to. I am currently interested in the medical field, nursing in particular. Does anyone here who resides in the UK know of any good school there that have a good nursing program?
kjackson83

Post by kjackson83 »

Mathmaniac wrote:I'm looking to persue education, specifically secondary education in the sciences (math or physics). Gradewise, I doubt I would be able to get into the most prestigious schools, but like I said, I will have my masters of science in mathematics by the middle of May.
University College, London, is respected (if not in the absolute top notch) and also international. Since your major is math, you might look into the University of Leeds--they offer an MA in Mathematics Ed; you've already got an MA, but the Master specifically in education would be great for pursuits in teaching.
xsakurax
Gold Member

Post by xsakurax »

Just curious, how's the admission to universities in the UK like? Because I understand there is the A levels, IB and so on. I'm also exploring opportunities to study there in the future, if everything works out. But currently, I only have my Cambridge O levels certificate and at the mean time, I'm pursing my Diploma in a polytechnic. Not too sure if my diploma will be recognized in the UK universities. Is there any other requirements?

By the way, are there any universities there specializing in media and communications related such as public relations, advertising, or any finance/economics related ones?
Mathmaniac
Silver Member

Post by Mathmaniac »

Thanks kjackson83. I was also looking at the Institute of Education and City University in London. Looks like I may be able to get a masters in education in a year (full time). It also sounds like a busy schedule.
tcliffy
Gold Member

Post by tcliffy »

Kevin wrote:I myself was wondering about higher education opportunities in the UK. I am graduating high school this year and am scrambling at what colleges to look at and apply to. I am currently interested in the medical field, nursing in particular. Does anyone here who resides in the UK know of any good school there that have a good nursing program?
Kevin, I too was interested in this, however, most schools over there require you to be a UK resident for a minimum of 3 years before accepting you. You may be able to spend those 3 years doing any pre-requisites and then apply to a school, I don't know.
http://www.troyesivan.com/forum" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mathmaniac
Silver Member

Post by Mathmaniac »

International applicants
If you are applying from outside the UK or EU, whatever your nationality, you can apply at any time between mid-September 2008 and 30 June 2009, unless you are applying for Oxford University or University of Cambridge, courses in medicine, dentistry, veterinary medicine or veterinary science, or Route B art and design courses, in which case you should apply by the dates above.

It is advised that you apply as early as possible. Universities and colleges do not guarantee to consider applications they receive after 15 January 2009, and some popular courses may not have vacancies after that date. Please check with individual universities and colleges if you are not sure.

Remember to allow enough time for entry clearance or immigration; also travel and accommodation arrangements, which can take longer during the summer when immigration departments are busy.

If you think you may be assessed as a 'home' student (UK or EU) for tuition fees, you should apply by 15 January 2009.

-from UCAS website:
http://www.ucas.ac.uk/students/startapp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... entoapply/