Libera's ethnic diversity

Talk about Libera here in.

Moderator: Moderators

PaulWSpaceRockDodger

Libera's ethnic diversity

Post by PaulWSpaceRockDodger »

Although our focus on Libera is first and foremost because of its music, it is also interesting to look at Libera from a sociological perspective. For example, Libera is a mirror of the ethnic diversity of London. During his remarks at the concert in Armagh, one of the Libera boys referred to the fact that many Libera members had ancestors from Ireland --- and, judging by that wonderful airport photo of the Libera boys waving their passports, at least one of them travels on an Irish passport. Another ethnic connection has been publicly confirmed online by one of the Libera boys, who has noted that his mother is from Thailand, and who has also tweeted about his recent success in passing a Thai language exam.

An additional element in Libera's ethnic composition is the linkage that more than half a dozen present or recent members of the choir have with Goa, which used to be a Portuguese colony and is now a state within India. London has an active Goan community, which now must have many enthusiastic fans of Libera!

There are several other nationalities reflected in Libera's membership --- and, of course, it will come as no surprise to note that most Libera boys also have an English heritage! All of which leads to the obvious conclusion: Libera faithfully reflects the pluralistic nature of contemporary London.
TullyBascombe
Platinum Member

Re: Libera's ethnic diversity

Post by TullyBascombe »

I believe that Tom Cully is half-Burmese. They've had some members of African origin also.
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

Don't forget the former member who is from the highly exotic Yank heritage :D
If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
TullyBascombe
Platinum Member

Post by TullyBascombe »

You mean Ben?
mbbrose

Post by mbbrose »

Yes! I really do enjoy the great diversity Libera has. I was looking through their website and saw the recruiting section and it is great that they are welcoming of boys of "any denomination - or none." It makes them unique in yet another way, with many choirs being based around service attendance as an expected duty. These boys are free to be part of St. Philips or just the Libera component which is great
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

mbbrose wrote:Yes! I really do enjoy the great diversity Libera has. I was looking through their website and saw the recruiting section and it is great that they are welcoming of boys of "any denomination - or none." It makes them unique in yet another way, with many choirs being based around service attendance as an expected duty. These boys are free to be part of St. Philips or just the Libera component which is great
I'm not sure that I'm right about this but I think there is an understanding that the boys do perform as part of the St Philip's choir on Sunday. I don't think that they can just opt for Libera but not be in the regular choir. I could be wrong and perhaps somebody else could confirm that. As you know St Philip's is Anglican/Episcopal but quite a few (most?) of the boys are Catholic or at least attend Catholic schools and Libera does perform a lot of their UK concerts in Catholic cathedrals.

Mercy & Love
mbbrose

Post by mbbrose »

"The singers of Libera are aged seven to sixteen and come from a variety of backgrounds, attending many different schools in South London, including local state schools, church schools and performing arts schools. Boys of all denomination or none are welcome. Membership need not conflict with other church obligations."

That's from the recruitment part of their site, so I took it to mean they are not required to do Sunday services if it conflicts with their family's church that may not be St. Philips. I would imagine most actually do sing on Sundays but it looks like if they can't it's not the end of their Libera opportunity.
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

mbbrose wrote:"The singers of Libera are aged seven to sixteen and come from a variety of backgrounds, attending many different schools in South London, including local state schools, church schools and performing arts schools. Boys of all denomination or none are welcome. Membership need not conflict with other church obligations."

That's from the recruitment part of their site, so I took it to mean they are not required to do Sunday services if it conflicts with their family's church that may not be St. Philips. I would imagine most actually do sing on Sundays but it looks like if they can't it's not the end of their Libera opportunity.
That last line seems to have been added since the last time I checked their website (which was years ago). We need somebody with a son of the right age to test it for us!

Mercy & Love
mbbrose

Post by mbbrose »

Yorkie- hah, yes. (I'm on a mobile phone and don't quite know how to quote portions of posts to reply to yet!)

I have cousins in the region and I've told my aunt about it and shown her all the cool things they get to do to try and persuade her to take her boys to join or at least try it out. But it's a pretty far commute for them to get into London..like almost 2 hours or something. Also her 2 older sons are more sport oriented(they are 8&11) and she just had twins in December so they're pretty busy.

However, the new twins are boys....so maybe there's hope for the future!!! Heheheh.
Horticult2000

Post by Horticult2000 »

It is indeed a nice feature that there are so many different backgrounds in Libera. If you only look at the surnames. Of course that does not give an indication of how long ago the family came to Britain. It is probably also one of the reasons there are so many double names in the group, they tried to fit in without giving up the origin. It gives funny combinations, like Alessandro with a Scottish and an Italian part. Jakub may be of German/Austrian origin fled for the war. Mikchael U-R is from Polish origin as he mentioned on one of his Youtube videos his grandmother only speaks Polish. Matthew Jansen has a clearly Dutch surname, but unknown how long ago the transfer was.
Johan