Free concert of Libera at Armagh : 9 August 2013

Talks and reviews about Libera concerts or public appearances

Moderator: Moderators

paul
Site Admin

Re: Free concert of Libera at Armagh : 9 August 2013

Post by paul »

what's up with everybody? A free concert with filming and there's barely a fart.
:lol:

You certainly have a way with words Yorkie.

I expect, they will do most of their material from the Christmas CD. As to what they will perform, I can only guess.
My guesses always turn out to be wrong :oops:

I expect, it will be the more traditional Christmas hymns :?:

But what do I know, i'm always wrong.

Wheres the expert opinions then.

Well that's my fart... :oops: I mean 2 pence worth :D
Joe Snelling Quote: "It's odd cuz my voice is low but I do quite a lot of the top notes"

"Music and rhythm find their way into the secret places of the soul"

- Plato
john45
Gold Member

Post by john45 »

Yorkie wrote:I don't know, it's like a bloody morgue in Libera World these days - what's up with everybody? A free concert with filming and there's barely a fart.
Well, we could always discuss what (not) to wear.

I take it you have seen Libera's latest facebook entry which reads:

"Some people have asked us if there is a dress code for our Armagh concert. The answer is that there is no official requirement - you will get in whatever you are wearing - but if people were to chose darker colours and avoid obviously summery clothes such as polo shirts, shorts and flip-flops that would be good."

The November concert set list would be almost perfect for a Christmas video, but I'm hoping there will be a few surprises.

John
JimmyRiddle
Diamond Member

Post by JimmyRiddle »

Yorkie wrote:Anyway, lets get the ball rolling. What do you think the song line up will be? All Chrimbo songs from the 2011 album (if so which ones) or a mix of seasonal and normal Libera songs?

Looking back at the November 2011 concert the song line up was:

- Jubilate
- Libera
- Joy to the World,
- Still Still Still,
- Song of Life
- Sanctus
- Salva
- Stay With Me
- Veni Emmanuel
- Exultate
- Carol of the Bells
- Gloria
- Fountain,
- Eternal Light
- Sing the Story
- Ave Verum
- In Dulci Jubilo
- Glory to thee
- How shall I sing That Majesty
Encore
- White Christmas
That was a nicely staged Christmas concert they performed two years ago at St George's Cathedral. In some ways it's a shame this upcoming filming didn't provide the opportunity back then. That said, I'm sure they will be more than capable of staging an equally special concert in Armagh. Maybe 12 months ago the choir appeared very young and fledgling so to speak but 12 months is a long time in Libera land and I think (from those who attended their spring tour concerts) they have settled in and found their stride again.

I also can't wait for full choir presentation of Carol of the Bells. It's not been Classical Christmas No1 past two years for nothing.

Still wondering how this is going to be distributed. Ideally it will be commissioned by one of the major network TV channels and allocated a prime-time viewing slot.
My Twitter; JimmyRiddlez
TullyBascombe
Platinum Member

Post by TullyBascombe »

If you think about it maybe you should show up in a nice red sweater and a green scarf, or vice versa.
tom413
Gold Member

Post by tom413 »

Yorkie wrote:I don't know, it's like a bloody morgue in Libera World these days - what's up with everybody?
Maybe we're all trying to negotiate time off of work and travel arrangements?
I know that's what I've been doing.

I'm inclined to think it'll be a mix of songs from their last Christmas CD plus other
Christmas songs.
While it would be awesome to finally here Voca me live, I'm not expecting that
to happen. I hope I'm wrong though.
tom413
Gold Member

Post by tom413 »

john45 wrote:Some people have asked us if there is a dress code for our Armagh concert. The answer is that there is no official requirement - you will get in whatever you are wearing - but if people were to chose darker colours and avoid obviously summery clothes such as polo shirts, shorts and flip-flops that would be good."
No polo shirts! Arrggggh! I wonder how they'd feel about Rugby shirts? :twisted:
Horticult2000

Post by Horticult2000 »

For me the Christmas concert of 2011 was the best one I have been to. So a repeat of it would not very much bother me. Although some new songs would be nice also. I hope they skip the White Christmas one, that to me is a horible American misfit.
Johan
maartendas
Diamond Member

Post by maartendas »

I'll have to enjoy this one from the sidelines I'm afraid. Much too short notice and no factors to combine it with a mini-vacation (as opposed to a concert in London) to make it our money's worth.

I'm still puzzled about what the event will actually be but I doubt it will be comparable to a regular concert in terms of the repertoire. Hoping for everyone attending that I'm wrong though 8)
You raise me high beyond the sky
Through stormy night lifting me above
kay
Silver Member

Post by kay »

All I will say about the song list is that, if I remember right, Libera spoke of 'our new repertoire'. Now if that means what it implies then maybe an all new line up of songs. There are plenty of Hymns, Gospel Christmas songs and secular Christmas songs that might be 'available' (ie out of copyright) for our boys. Even so a live version of Voca Me would be great.
I Listen To the Music Of Angels
dani
Diamond Member

Post by dani »

Earlier in the year there was talk of a new album so maybe there will be a new Xmas album ? - so there may be new Xmas songs sung .
Karppoo

Post by Karppoo »

It's very good to heard that Libera is filming live performance in Armagh Cathedral. That is what I have been waiting. Hope the concert will released Blue Ray or DVD before x-mas. We are in holiday that time so we can't go to Armagh. But hope the Cathedral is full of Libera fans and there will be the very great concert with all movements of boys and lightning is perfect.
TullyBascombe
Platinum Member

Post by TullyBascombe »

tom413 wrote:
john45 wrote:Some people have asked us if there is a dress code for our Armagh concert. The answer is that there is no official requirement - you will get in whatever you are wearing - but if people were to chose darker colours and avoid obviously summery clothes such as polo shirts, shorts and flip-flops that would be good."
No polo shirts! Arrggggh! I wonder how they'd feel about Rugby shirts? :twisted:
How about a hockey jersey?
tom413
Gold Member

Post by tom413 »

Don't have one of those but I am going shopping this weekend to prepare for the trip...... :wink:

This event does appear to be shaping up into something different. Ralph Skan and Sam Leggett
have both announced that they will be there. :D
labbie

Post by labbie »

Ralph will probably be joining the lower voices, while Sam could be doing that as well, or perhaps possibly joining the musicians, since he also plays the cello. My day-to-day life necessitates my staying home to get other things done, but hopefully I'll be attending more concerts in the future. At any rate, I wish everyone a great evening.
kay
Silver Member

Post by kay »

it's good that the two 'old' boys will; be there. Ralph is a great singer whilst Sam has been a wonderful member of Libera, never a prolific soloist but his voice was always there supporting the soloists and the group.
I Listen To the Music Of Angels