International zone

Talk about anything else here

Moderator: Moderators

kthomp
Silver Member

Post by kthomp »

WOW!!! that is soooo beautiful, i wish i lived in a town like that,i live in a naval town so its all old wrecks and tatty old buildings. i wish i lived back in yorkshire lol. But wow i want to live in Pretoria.
When you miss me just look up to the night sky and remember, I'm like a star; sometimes you can't see me, but I'm always there.
kjackson83

Post by kjackson83 »

tcliffy wrote: In the very North/Northeast, you have of course the beginnings of the Kalahari desert. Everywhere you go, you will encounter magnificent splendors.
BBC's Planet Earth ventured out into the Kalahari--it looked absolutely spectacular, especially after the annual flooding.
tcliffy wrote:South Africa has 3 capitals - Cape Town, Bloemfontein, and Pretoria. There are over 27 nationally recognized languages, however, most people understand English and are fairly fluent in it.
WOW--that's a lot of languages; and people here balk at the requirement of rough literacy in just one during high school.

Let's see if I can remember my geography:
Cape Town: the seat of the...legislature? or the President?
Bloemfontein: the judiciary
Pretoria: the President or the Parliament...?

I think that's very interesting: the three capital cities. Makes sense in some ways.
Jude Andrew
Gold Member

Post by Jude Andrew »

tcliffy wrote: Geographically, South Africa has it all
I consider myself very fortunate to have a job that takes me places far and wide. I have visited many countries; experiencing different cultures. I have had the priviledge to visit your homeland on 4 occassions; twice to Capetown and once each to Jo'burg and East London. I would have to say that Capetown is one of the most beautiful places on this planet and is definitely the nicest place I have ever been to. I would go back there in a heartbeat !! It beats Ireland any day of the week !! :D
Last edited by Jude Andrew on Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:38 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Digs
Silver Member

Post by Digs »

Those are beautiful pictures Tcliffy! You know if you would have showed just the pictures without saying where they were from, South Africa would have been my last guess. All my visions of Africa are of the desert, hot dry and not much flora. See I did learn something new today. :)
Last edited by Digs on Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jennaluvspbr
Gold Member

Re: International zone

Post by jennaluvspbr »

xsakurax wrote:Hey, I'm kind of feeling bored, so I decided to start a thread which I named international zone! Haha. I guess, maybe we could discuss things such as your country, its tourists attractions, share a little about the culture and traditions, languages, and practically about anything that you want. And how about this scenario - If you were to play host to Libera in your country, what would you like them to perform at? What about some activities that .. The food etc...

I'm just curious to learn more about the many countries out there in the world. Haha.
chicaog is a big twon i whnet there a long time a go and the is 100000 people who live there and the plces is so big people take trins to many diffrinet plces like work or travel its a nice tawn i thank i wonder if libera can go there they have lots of fun walking a round seeing so many things that has not been seend befor they have to look out of winday days there becues they call it the winday sicty of chicago and there lots of things to do there and the chuch is are big lots of angels a round it and its so cool to see things like that from jenna
xsakurax
Gold Member

Post by xsakurax »

Aww.. It's really beautiful places all around the world.. I wish I'll get the opportunity to travel to all these countries.. especially the USA, UK and definitely South Africa after seeing tcliffy's photos! The places are really gorgeous. And I wish to see Niagara Falls, correct me if I'm wrong, you can see them in Canada as well as US?
tcliffy
Gold Member

Post by tcliffy »

Thanks for everyone's praise for S.A. if you can go, you should. And yes, KJackson, you got your geography correct. If anyone has any more questions about SA, don't hesitate to ask.
http://www.troyesivan.com/forum" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
TEB
Gold Member

Post by TEB »

xsakurax wrote:Aww.. It's really beautiful places all around the world.. I wish I'll get the opportunity to travel to all these countries.. especially the USA, UK and definitely South Africa after seeing tcliffy's photos! The places are really gorgeous. And I wish to see Niagara Falls, correct me if I'm wrong, you can see them in Canada as well as US?
Yes, the Falls is actually in both Canada and the United States.
Tom B.
Proud to be an American
Clan Farquharson, Scotland

"I AM THE DAWN OF ALL TIME."
xsakurax
Gold Member

Post by xsakurax »

I'm told that Niagara falls when seen in Canada is more spectacular and magnificent? Is that true?
kjackson83

Post by kjackson83 »

xsakurax wrote:I'm told that Niagara falls when seen in Canada is more spectacular and magnificent? Is that true?
The Canadian Falls are the "famous" ones; the American Falls are considerably smaller.
kjackson83

Post by kjackson83 »

*nudge
Jude Andrew
Gold Member

Post by Jude Andrew »

kjackson83 wrote:
xsakurax wrote:I'm told that Niagara falls when seen in Canada is more spectacular and magnificent? Is that true?
The Canadian Falls are the "famous" ones; the American Falls are considerably smaller.
Again, being fortunate to travel alot, when I lived in Toronto I had the pleasure of visiting Niagara Falls twice, the Canadian side on both occasions. It was a great experience ! I would also like to add that the nearby town of Niagara on the Lake is truly beautiful. It is a real Olde English type place (kjackson would love it :lol: ) and an abiding memory was dinner in the "Post & Pillar" (or is it "Pillar & Post" ??) restaurant.
xsakurax
Gold Member

Post by xsakurax »

Cool. I'll really love to travel to other countries someday. I have never really been out of Singapore, except for neighbouring countries like Malaysia.. Other than that, I've haven't even been on the plane yet! Gosh! Haha. But I'll definitely love to travel around the world, well, maybe I should find a job that really allows me to travel to other countries. Learning about other cultures in different countries sounds pretty interesting too. But too bad for me, I don't know much languages, except for English, Chinese, some really really basics of German and a few words of French that I learnt from watching TV. Jude, can I ask you, which is the most memorable place in the world that you have ever been too?
Jude Andrew
Gold Member

Post by Jude Andrew »

xsakurax wrote: Jude, can I ask you, which is the most memorable place in the world that you have ever been too?
That is a very tough question because I like different places for different reasons. However, I have tried to put it in order:

1. Capetown, South Africa: without doubt the most spectacularlly beautiful place on the planet :shock: !! it has everything you could want.

2. Carcassone, France: I love history and Carcassone has it in bundles. It is a medieval, walled/fortified city in the south of France. Amazing :D

3. Haifa, Israel: A port town in the northern part of Israel. It actaully reminds me of Capetown in parts. Spectacular views from Mount Carmel and it also is the home of the Bahai religion.

4. Vienna, Austria : A truly beautiful, historic, cultural European capital.

I could keep going.... :lol:
kjackson83

Post by kjackson83 »

Jude Andrew wrote:
kjackson83 wrote:
Again, being fortunate to travel alot, when I lived in Toronto I had the pleasure of visiting Niagara Falls twice, the Canadian side on both occasions. It was a great experience ! I would also like to add that the nearby town of Niagara on the Lake is truly beautiful. It is a real Olde English type place (kjackson would love it :lol: ) and an abiding memory was dinner in the "Post & Pillar" (or is it "Pillar & Post" ??) restaurant.
Hehe--you betcha...I love Canada!--almost as much as Great Britain...British Columbia is a like a bit of Britain that stayed on and took root (actually, I guess that's exactly what it is).