If you can decide, who is your single,most favorite soloist?

Current and former Members of Libera

Moderator: Moderators

Egorbea2018

Re: If you can decide, who is your single,most favorite soloist?

Post by Egorbea2018 »

TrebleVoices wrote: <span title="Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:38 pm">5 years ago</span> This is my favourite soloist. Can you tell who it is?

IMAG0325.jpg
Kind of looks like Michael Horncastle?
Egorbea2018

Post by Egorbea2018 »

john45 wrote: <span title="Tue Jun 21, 2016 8:14 pm">7 years ago</span>
Yorkie wrote:
john45 wrote:Easy. TDL - best ever.
However, having seen and heard TDL singing live faultlessly at over 40 Libera concerts, many services at St. Philip's, and in 7 operas he has to have my vote.
Wow! I wish I had heard him. He is one of my favorites. Sadly, he does not have many recorded songs but he is fabulous in the Dvds. Are there any YouTube videos or cds of his opera songs?
theriverflowson
Silver Member

Post by theriverflowson »

It's not easy to tell who is my most favorite soloist. We listened to so many talents during the years and it can only be a matter of individual taste. It might be the voice color or minor details in the way the are singing that makes them more favorable for you than the one who technically might be better. It might also be just one single song or solo part that makes someone your favorite!

Not the most fancy opinion :wink: , but my all-time favorite would be TDL. I really like every single of his solos so much!

From the current members I think I like Luca Brugnoli the most.
Mercurial909
Silver Member

Post by Mercurial909 »

Having binged on everything Libera (and their previous incarnations St Philip’s Boys Choir and Angel Voices), I can pick standouts from every generation. But the generation I’ve loved the most is Libera 2012-2015, with my favourite vocalists being Isaac London and Thomas Delgado-Little.

I can’t separate my two favourites because they have very different voices and sing the songs suited to their voices with perfection.
My favourite live performance of Isaac’s was Angel, of course. And my favourite studio performance of Isaac’s is Stabat Mata - who knew he had such a range?

For me, Thomas probably edges out most if not all other “high” trebles. Whenever I hear singers hit very high notes I can always hear them pushing the oxygen through their voice box, desperately trying to reach and then stay on that high note. Thomas may well be the only one I’ve heard where he just hits those very high notes, pure, crystalline clear and flawless. He really was such a rare gem of a treble.

I so wish I’d heard Thomas sing live. I stumbled upon Libera while searching for a song on YouTube some years back. By that time, I’d just missed out on the last of that generation.
And sadly there aren’t many studio tracks featuring Tom. Other than the stunning Benedictus Deus, the other tracks he’s on are from live recordings. I know Tom was in demand but I still think Libera slept on him a bit. I could’ve listened to a whole album of him and Isaac singing, or even just him.

I miss them both so very much. :(
bamboo
Silver Member

Post by bamboo »

Mercurial909 wrote: <span title="Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:42 pm">3 years ago</span> And sadly there aren’t many studio tracks featuring Tom. Other than the stunning Benedictus Deus, the other tracks he’s on are from live recordings. I know Tom was in demand but I still think Libera slept on him a bit. I could’ve listened to a whole album of him and Isaac singing, or even just him.
Other studio tracks Tom is featured in:
America the Beautiful (2015 single) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RL5lg-Mep5M
He was featured quite a lot on the Christmas in Ireland and Libera in America DVDs, but I guess you would consider those as live recordings?
Tranquility (Destiny: Music of the Spheres soundtrack (2014)) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRg48-dx2I8 (he was the soloist with Isaac)
I am EmMir

Post by I am EmMir »

john45 wrote: <span title="Tue Jun 21, 2016 1:45 pm">7 years ago</span> Easy. TDL - best ever.
Yes. That makes the two of us.. Thomas Delgado - Little, the best ever!
I am EmMir

Post by I am EmMir »

bamboo wrote: <span title="Sat Apr 17, 2021 5:16 am">3 years ago</span>
Mercurial909 wrote: <span title="Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:42 pm">3 years ago</span> And sadly there aren’t many studio tracks featuring Tom. Other than the stunning Benedictus Deus, the other tracks he’s on are from live recordings. I know Tom was in demand but I still think Libera slept on him a bit. I could’ve listened to a whole album of him and Isaac singing, or even just him.
Other studio tracks Tom is featured in:
America the Beautiful (2015 single) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RL5lg-Mep5M
He was featured quite a lot on the Christmas in Ireland and Libera in America DVDs, but I guess you would consider those as live recordings?
Tranquility (Destiny: Music of the Spheres soundtrack (2014)) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRg48-dx2I8 (he was the soloist with Isaac)
Thank you for this! Been searching for Libera song with Tom DL soloing on it but I found only a precious few. Seems like his exposure were mostly during concerts, which sadly I would never have witnessed. He has the most amazing, crystalline voice I've ever heard! Was it he who hit the highest pitch in How Shall I Sing That Majesty piece in Libera in America?
Still, hoping that he may have a successful career whatever it may be..
ChrisB

Post by ChrisB »

There are so many to choose from: Ed Day, Tom Cully, Josh Madine has a lovely quality to his voice. But my favourite has to be Luca Brugnoli whose voice has a delightful sweetness and is as clear as a bell.
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

ChrisB wrote: <span title="Mon Feb 14, 2022 10:44 am">2 years ago</span> There are so many to choose from: Ed Day, Tom Cully, Josh Madine has a lovely quality to his voice. But my favourite has to be Luca Brugnoli whose voice has a delightful sweetness and is as clear as a bell.
Luca is a very talented singer as are many in the current, as well as upcoming, group. Welcome to Libera Dreams! :D
ChrisB

Post by ChrisB »

Surpinto wrote: <span title="Mon Feb 14, 2022 9:23 pm">2 years ago</span>
ChrisB wrote: <span title="Mon Feb 14, 2022 10:44 am">2 years ago</span> There are so many to choose from: Ed Day, Tom Cully, Josh Madine has a lovely quality to his voice. But my favourite has to be Luca Brugnoli whose voice has a delightful sweetness and is as clear as a bell.
Luca is a very talented singer as are many in the current, as well as upcoming, group. Welcome to Libera Dreams! :D
Yes I can’t wait to see how Luca comes along. And thanks for the welcome!
Celt

Post by Celt »

TrebleVoices wrote: <span title="Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:38 pm">5 years ago</span> This is my favourite soloist. Can you tell who it is?
IMAG0325.jpg
Clearly Oliver Mycka... 8)

Anyway, my current favourite soloist is by far, Daniel White, who I have seen so far in:

9 Libera Concerts
5 Other concerts
3 Operas

:D

It fills me with sadness that he has already dropped into the "alto" category, albeit with the capacity still to sing soprano I think. My fingers are crossed that he manages the top line a bit longer... :cry:
Luckdragon
Gold Member

Post by Luckdragon »

Celt wrote: <span title="Thu May 19, 2022 6:25 pm">1 year ago</span> Anyway, my current favourite soloist is by far, Daniel White, who I have seen so far in:

9 Libera Concerts
5 Other concerts
3 Operas

It fills me with sadness that he has already dropped into the "alto" category, albeit with the capacity still to sing soprano I think. My fingers are crossed that he manages the top line a bit longer... :cry:
Ah, the bittersweet beauty of being a boy choir fan. Knowing those precious voices are here but for a moment, basking in their ephemeral purity while we can, weeping when they become just a memory, then once again rejoicing in the sweet new voices that God has gifted upon us.
Celt

Post by Celt »

Luckdragon wrote: <span title="Thu May 19, 2022 8:08 pm">1 year ago</span> Ah, the bittersweet beauty of being a boy choir fan. Knowing those precious voices are here but for a moment, basking in their ephemeral purity while we can, weeping when they become just a memory, then once again rejoicing in the sweet new voices that God has gifted upon us.
Oh yes... very much.

I was recently doing some stats on old concerts and neither Libera or CVMS were top of the pile. Spot number one went to a choir with an exceptional treble who lasted way too short a time...

C'est la vie.
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

Celt wrote: <span title="Thu May 19, 2022 6:25 pm">1 year ago</span> Anyway, my current favourite soloist is by far, Daniel White, who I have seen so far in:

9 Libera Concerts
5 Other concerts
3 Operas

Daniel has impressed me on many occasions. I cannot argue with him being a favorite as he's a reliable singer who does solos to a high standard and has a distinguishable and pleasant tone to his voice. Definitely one of my favorites as well!
Luckdragon wrote: <span title="Thu May 19, 2022 8:08 pm">1 year ago</span> Ah, the bittersweet beauty of being a boy choir fan. Knowing those precious voices are here but for a moment, basking in their ephemeral purity while we can, weeping when they become just a memory, then once again rejoicing in the sweet new voices that God has gifted upon us.
Love the poetic and apt description here!
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

Celt wrote: <span title="Thu May 19, 2022 6:25 pm">1 year ago</span>
Anyway, my current favourite soloist is by far, Daniel White, who I have seen so far in:

9 Libera Concerts
5 Other concerts
3 Operas

I enjoyed Dan's excellent conducting demonstrating the 7 part harmony of Libera. A fun speech.
If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love