Movies

Talk about anything else here

Moderator: Moderators

liberavieve

Post by liberavieve »

My list of go-to films is always changing, but at the moment, a few gems include:

— Another Country
— Behind the Lines
— Billy Elliot
— La Mala Educación
— Ma Vie en Rose
— Mickybo and Me
— To Serve Them All My Days
(though not technically a film)
— The Wind That Shakes the Barley
— Wristcutters: A Love Story
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

Nicki wrote:I saw 127 Hours last night and really enjoyed it! It was so well made and such an incredible story of survival...and to think it all actually happened to someone :o Aron Ralston was a very brave guy; I'm not sure I would have made it out of that situation.
Indeed he is but he is also a terrible juggler.
If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
symphonica7
Gold Member

Post by symphonica7 »

Yorkie wrote:
Nicki wrote:I saw 127 Hours last night and really enjoyed it! It was so well made and such an incredible story of survival...and to think it all actually happened to someone :o Aron Ralston was a very brave guy; I'm not sure I would have made it out of that situation.
Indeed he is but he is also a terrible juggler.
I really want to see that film!!!
BrightEyes
Silver Member

Post by BrightEyes »

phlibera wrote:My favorite movies in 2010 were "Toy Story 3" and "How to Tame Your Dragon". Both wonderful movies.

The Toy Story franchise is amazing! I remember 15 years ago it was very much hyped. It was at the time the first fully CGI animated film. So when it came there was already the awe of the technical aspect of making it. But then what I couldn't have expected was that there was a well-written story in it. The combination was potent. State of the art computer animation and well-thought out story with brilliant script. Of course after that, release after release Pixar had been dishing out the same winning combination movie after movie. Amazing. And it all started with Toy Story. Fittingly it's the only Pixar trilogy. So far, at least.

"How to Tame Your Dragon". This movie didn't make a lot in theaters. I myself missed watching it while it's in the cinemas. Nothing in the trailer that really grabbed my attention. Not the title, and not the story (it seemed). I thought, umm... this is definitely just a kid movie. And the poster, umm... from afar you can only make out "Dragon" and it's not really a poster that screams "watch me!" In fact it was dull and easily missed and dismissed. But when I finally saw it last Christmas eve, I totally loved the story. It was a brilliant animated film. I thought the marketing department truly dropped the ball on this one. Its trailer and poster didn't do the actual product justice. Simple story, with intricate plotting. It's a pixar-quality film without being a Pixar film.
I have yet to see these but they're definitely on my list of movies I want to see. Animated movies are some of the most well-made these days, when so many live action movies seem mediore in comparison. I looked up Dragon on Rotten Tomatoes and it was getting fantastic reviews there, so I know it must be very good! Same with all the Toy Story films, and agreed that Pixar is topnotch.
"How can the light that burned so brightly, Suddenly burn so pale?"
BrightEyes
Silver Member

Post by BrightEyes »

My favorite Danny Boyle movie has to be Millions. I loved that one a lot.

127 Hours... yikes. I don't know if I could watch that one cause I would have a hard time with... certain scenes.
"How can the light that burned so brightly, Suddenly burn so pale?"
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

Nicki wrote:
Yorkie wrote:Indeed he is but he is also a terrible juggler.
Too soon, Yorkie! :P
hand up, it was in poor taste :lol:
If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
maartendas
Diamond Member

Post by maartendas »

Yorkie wrote:
Jude Andrew wrote:I watched Gran Torino the other night... really enjoyed it. Great performance from Mr. Eastwood.
It was a great film and you've got to love Clint, he's a legend.
Thanks to your recommendations, this movie caught my eye at the video rental (yes they are still around and yes I do occasionally visit them :)) and I've watched it tonight. Really very impressive and moving - with a thought-provoking theme of sacrifice and redemption. Recommended!
You raise me high beyond the sky
Through stormy night lifting me above
phlibera
Gold Member

Post by phlibera »

Have any of you seen "Tangled"? I saw it last week and I was surprised and amazed that Disney actually still make good animated movies. It's one of the better Disney animated feature and in my opinion their best since Mulan. And if we include live action Disney movies, their best since Enchanted.

It's interesting that it's actually a 2010 movie, although it just opened here in the Philippines, which along with "How to Tame Your Dragons" and "Toy Story 3" would make the best movies of 2010 to be all animated films. At least of all the movies I've watched last year. No live action film I've seen last year that comes close to the level of excellent storytelling of these 3 animated films. Probably only "Inception", that was a clever movie. But in terms of movies that might approach classic level (that is to say movies that I think will still be good to watch years from now), Inception doesn't come close to this 3 animated films.

If you haven't seen "Tangled" yet, I recommend you do (assuming it's still available in your countries). It features the voice of Mandy Moore, too. I like her voice. :) Not really sure why she haven't been releasing new albums anymore.
maartendas
Diamond Member

Post by maartendas »

Well, what do you know - two days after I talked abuot the video rental I visited they announced they were closing and selling all their DVDs. I now got E.T., Inland Empire (David Lynch) and Solaris (Andrei Tarkovksy) added to my collection. (Yep, I like dark and arty films too, beside all the lovely ones :))

Actually I can't wait to see E.T. again, I was just thinking about that movie when I was reading this thread and posting my favourites of all time and thinking of the nostalgic ones that take me back to my childhood, real classics, and I forgot to put E.T. in there - seems like ages since I saw it - so I'm anxious to see it again, in the remastered and expanded version too :)

Re: Tangled and good animation these days, I have to mention the Emperor's New Groove - one of the best and funniest animation pictures I saw in a while. And The Incredibles (when I saw it when it came out the whole theatre would be bursting with laughter all the time) but I already applauded Pixar in general. Oh, and Lilo & Stitch - very different and daring but very nice. (Okay, these aren't recent ones, but still :))
phlibera
Gold Member

Post by phlibera »

The Pixar head is now the head of Disney Animation Studio, so we can only expect more quality Disney animated features. Before he took the helm, Disney live action films have been generally better than the animated ones that they dish out...
Rebecca (:
Platinum Member

Post by Rebecca (: »

maartendas wrote:Well, what do you know - two days after I talked abuot the video rental I visited they announced they were closing and selling all their DVDs. I now got E.T., Inland Empire (David Lynch) and Solaris (Andrei Tarkovksy) added to my collection. (Yep, I like dark and arty films too, beside all the lovely ones :))
I'm hoping our video rental store doesn't close! We still use it a lot! sorry that your's is!
I have this strange irrational fear of E.T... I can't watch it. Movies don't usually scare me, but this one does for some reason... I haven't tired to watch it in 2 years or so, so maybe it's time...

Oh and on Tangled, I really liked it! I took some girls I babysit to go see it a while back, and they loved it! It was a wel lmade movie, in my opinion. (:
maartendas
Diamond Member

Post by maartendas »

Rebecca (: wrote: I have this strange irrational fear of E.T... I can't watch it. Movies don't usually scare me, but this one does for some reason... I haven't tired to watch it in 2 years or so, so maybe it's time...
I just finished watching E.T. It was fun and even got some tears rolling - I cry easily anyway and I'm a sucker for the sentimental stuff :) But I also thought, the story is really unbelievable! (well.. apart from the alien-meets-boy friendship... ;)) There are a lot of holes in the script and stuff that just doesn't make sense. On the other hand, I thought it was a nice dramatic touch that the Elliot's parents were divorced - this made the whole ending extra emotional.

On the scary parts - yes, some parts are pretty scary and freaky, especially when the government people come into Elliot's home. But I think you will find that it's a great story about caring, friendship and letting go. The bit where Elliot expresses his feelings to E.T. at a crucial point in the story (I won't get specific :)) is just heartwarming, and oh yes - the tear rolling from his face in the final scene between him and E.T. Priceless. And there are some visually really beautiful shots, like the one where Elliot walks to the shed right before his first 'encounter' with E.T., and the one when Elliot wakes up in the forest and the fog lifts.

--edit: Oh, and I had a big laugh at this dialogue between Elliot and his brother Michael:
Michael: Did you explain school to him?
Elliot: How do you explain school to higher intelligence?
:D

And this one between Elliot and his schoolmate Greg was good too:
Greg: Can't he just beam up?
Elliot: This is reality, Greg.
;)
plumpuff6
Silver Member

Post by plumpuff6 »

I didn't used to watch that many movies, but now that I have Netflix I've started watching a lot more.

Um, as far as favorites go, I'd have to say it changes, depending on my mood. But these are a few that have been solid "favorites" of mine:

White Oleander
Matchstick Men
Whisper of the Heart
Finding Neverland
Proof
Ballet Shoes
Harry Potter
Dear Frankie
et laudate Domino in laetitia
et cantate Domino gloria
saecula et saeculorum, Alleluia
Murkskis

Post by Murkskis »

I just checked out the trailer of Tangled - funny indeed :D

[youtube][/youtube]

And I could also join the ''fanclub'' of 'Dear Frankie'... :D
I'm too lazy to write a good review, so I just found a good one on IMDB to attract some interest of those who haven't seen it :wink:

''more than delighted in the film. It is fantastically moving, and even though it is not filmed with enormous 'dramatics', as the blockbuster Hollywood films are, it is so amazingly 'real' - and thus captivating. I heard that the first screening left the actors stunned to wait so long for the standing ovation to subside - I can see why.

The acting is superb, but the story is marvelous. It is a film with a not-so-simple message - one that moves the soul. One moment you are entertained with quick-witted humor, and the next moment your heart fills with compassion. It's simplicity is one of it's main high points and the absence of Hollywood "flash" is refreshing!

Heart-warming and pleasantly humorous - I would recommend it to anyone!''
source: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0377752/usercomments
maartendas
Diamond Member

Post by maartendas »

plumpuff6 wrote:
Finding Neverland
Yes! That one got me in tears. I was actually reminded of it when I was watching E.T. last night, when the mom reads to the little girl from Peter Pan the part where she has to say she believs in fairies and clap her hands :)