Movies

Talk about anything else here

Moderator: Moderators

Jude Andrew
Gold Member

Post by Jude Andrew »

I went to see Inglorious at the weekend .... :shock:

Very strange film.... I am still not sure wether I loved it or loathed it :lol: but either way it is completely Tarrantino !!!
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

Jude Andrew wrote:I watched Gran Torino the other night... really enjoyed it. Great performance from Mr. Eastwood.
It was a great film and you've got to love Clint, he's a legend.
If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
whitetail1985

Post by whitetail1985 »

Here's a documentery that I like to watch every so often when I see horrible things in the news. Its called America's Heart & Soul

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
libera36

Post by libera36 »

whitetail1985 wrote:Here's a documentery that I like to watch every so often when I see horrible things in the news. Its called America's Heart & Soul

I want to see that!!! :)

My favorite "pick-me-up" for when I feel a bit depressed is http://www.givesmehope.com/. It is filled with amazing true stories that really do give me hope!
Jude Andrew
Gold Member

Post by Jude Andrew »

whitetail1985 wrote:Here's a documentery that I like to watch every so often when I see horrible things in the news. Its called America's Heart & Soul

That's pretty cool.... was it a film??
whitetail1985

Post by whitetail1985 »

During these long weekends some tv stations decided to play the "Band of Brothers" marathon. Now if you don't mind the war violence it is truely great. so much so that I went out and bought the whole mini series. If any of you havn't seen it yet I highly recommend it.
Dennis
TEB
Gold Member

Post by TEB »

whitetail1985 wrote:During these long weekends some tv stations decided to play the "Band of Brothers" marathon. Now if you don't mind the war violence it is truely great. so much so that I went out and bought the whole mini series. If any of you havn't seen it yet I highly recommend it.
One of my favorite moments in this series is near the end when the one German officer is surrendering his troops and the American officer, whose name I can't remember at the moment, lets the German keep his side arm. Then they salute each other as soldiers and not enemies.
Tom B.
Proud to be an American
Clan Farquharson, Scotland

"I AM THE DAWN OF ALL TIME."
aaden

Post by aaden »

Jude Andrew wrote:I went to see Inglorious at the weekend .... :shock:

Very strange film.... I am still not sure wether I loved it or loathed it :lol: but either way it is completely Tarrantino !!!
i just saw this! watched it with a friend. everyone dies! but it is a humorous portrayal of history.
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

Saw that Avatar film just before Christmas. The 3D was amazing but it was an hour too long and the plot was complete pants (just a rehash of dialogue from a million other fantasy films).

I think it would have been greatly improved if the soundtrack had been provided by Libera :wink:

Mercy & Love
TEB
Gold Member

Post by TEB »

A friend of mine gave me I Am Legend for Christmas because they know I like scary movies and that I had read the book.
The movie is good but I have to say, the only similarity between this movie and the book are the title and basic premise. Plus, I found one very huge mistake in it that I am surprised no one noticed when it was in theatres. He is on Manhattan Island. They blow all the bridges up while the virus is spreading. Soooooo... how does the woman and her son get there in their suv????? And how to they get off the island to go to the walled in sanctuary??

Sorry, but I tend to notice things like this in movies. Just like in Titanic, when they spin the ships wheel to try to miss the iceberg, the helmsman turns the wheel the wrong way. In 1912, all ships wheels and rudders were still geared so that to turn the ship to the left(port) one turned the wheel to the right(starboard).
While one expects mistakes like this to show up in low budget movies, big movies, such as these two, should have no mistakes in them.
Tom B.
Proud to be an American
Clan Farquharson, Scotland

"I AM THE DAWN OF ALL TIME."
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

TEB wrote:A friend of mine gave me I Am Legend for Christmas because they know I like scary movies and that I had read the book.
The movie is good but I have to say, the only similarity between this movie and the book are the title and basic premise. Plus, I found one very huge mistake in it that I am surprised no one noticed when it was in theatres. He is on Manhattan Island. They blow all the bridges up while the virus is spreading. Soooooo... how does the woman and her son get there in their suv????? And how to they get off the island to go to the walled in sanctuary??

Sorry, but I tend to notice things like this in movies. Just like in Titanic, when they spin the ships wheel to try to miss the iceberg, the helmsman turns the wheel the wrong way. In 1912, all ships wheels and rudders were still geared so that to turn the ship to the left(port) one turned the wheel to the right(starboard).
While one expects mistakes like this to show up in low budget movies, big movies, such as these two, should have no mistakes in them.
Agree that I am Legend was flimsy - haven't read the book. Must say the bridge thing never occurred to me :oops:

Mercy & Love
dani
Diamond Member

Post by dani »

TEB wrote:A friend of mine gave me I Am Legend for Christmas because they know I like scary movies and that I had read the book.

Trust me you are not the first person to notice that flaw in I am Legend, whats more amazing is how nobody spotted it when it was in pre-production.
LiberAeterna

Post by LiberAeterna »

Glad to see we have a lot of movie fans here :). I always love discussing movies, as I am a film graduate! I have been watching many older movies lately through Netflix, mostly films I have never seen from the Golden Age of Hollywood. A film which has catapulted into my favorites that I just saw for the first time is "Captains Courageous" with Spencer Tracy from 1937. Tracy won Best Actor for his role in this moving film and the chemistry between him and child actor Freddie Bartholomew is wonderful. Freddie was a bit overshadowed by Mickey Rooney and Jackie Cooper during the 30's but I think his performance in "Captains Courageous" is one of the best young actor performances you are likely to see. He probably should have been nominated too! I would like to encourage any of you who haven't seen it to watch it, especially if you have children as it has great moral lessons in it. Simply put, one of the greatest and most poignant films you will ever see and will likely move you to tears, as I am proud to admit it did for me :cry:. Only wish I could have seen it with my father before he passed :(.

"Yeah ho, little fish, don't cry, don't cry..."

A few more of my favorite films (by no means definitive):

Star Wars
Citizen Kane
Grapes of Wrath
On The Waterfront
2001: A Space Odyssey
There Will Be Blood
Ben-Hur
Sing, Sing, Ye Heavenly Choir
tcliffy
Gold Member

Post by tcliffy »

well guys, the other artist I really support, Troye Sivan, recently finished filming a movie in South Africa. If you wish to check out the trailer (which includes him singing and features John Cleese) here it is... " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... e=youtu.be
http://www.troyesivan.com/forum" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

Ty, where you been?

Looks like some sort of comedy coming of age film in a boarding school (British style rather than Afrikaans) in SA - first film for John Cleese for a while as well.

Does Troye sing the rest of the sound track?

Mercy & Love