The Perfect Game

Talk about anything else here

Moderator: Moderators

William

The Perfect Game

Post by William »

I just returned from attending the Little League World Series in Williamsport, PA. It was a great event. Perfect weather and lots of fun! While I was there I picked up a book called "The Perfect Game". It's about the 1957 Little League World Series and how a team from Monterrey Mexico won it. (It's also a movie which will hopefully be released soon! The author was there signing copies of the book and was hoping for an October release.) If you like 'feel good' stories where the underdog comes through, and like baseball, then I highly recommend this book. Several of the boys on the team also sang in the church boys' choir and there are ocassional references to the boys' singing in the story. Very heartwarming and a good read!
Rich
Silver Member

Post by Rich »

Wasn't it a great series? I must have watched every game. I thought the boys from Mexico were going to run away with it but Hawaii had other plans.

Rich
xsakurax
Gold Member

Post by xsakurax »

I didn't know about the Little League series until when I stumbled upon the trailer for "The Perfect Game" on YouTube.

William, I think the movie's gonna be out quite soon, before year's end. It was supposed to be released in August this year but got delayed. ARGH. I wanna catch it too. Maybe mean time, I should get the book and read too.
William

Post by William »

I spoke with the author while I was there. He was also the screenwriter. He seemed to think an October release and if not, then maybe April. I hope October. I was frustrated too when it wasn't released in August as advertised. It would have been great timing too since Mexico was in the final game! Even just the time of year, Little league time, would have been more appropriate. Oh well, when it comes out it comes out.
tcliffy
Gold Member

Post by tcliffy »

How I wish I could have watched the series. It doesn't air on any station I get. I was hoping to see it online, but can't find it anywhere. I really wanted to see it and...*sorry if this annoys anyone* but I was rooting for Mexico in the championship game.
http://www.troyesivan.com/forum" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
William

Post by William »

To be honest, so was I. I think I was the only one in my section who was rooting for them. (I sat along the third base side, the Hawaii side, while the Mexico team family members sat along the first base side.)Even my sister who sat next to me rooted for Hawaii. But at least they made it as far as they did. That's quite an accomplishment just making it that far!
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

I watch the series every year, but since the Olympics were on, I did not get to watch any of the games, except for some of the regional championship games before the 8th of August. From the tabloids, I hear that it was a very great series this year, I regret not watching it now.
William

Post by William »

Yes, it was a lot of fun. And the weather was perfect. Only one rain out (whereas last year it was hit and miss much of the week!) I saw quite a few of the games and luckily I have a DVR and recorded some the games and had someone else tape record the rest of the games for me as well while I was gone so now I can watch them again. There weren't a lot of close games. It seemed in many that the winning team won by several runs. Anyway, a very worthwhile event. I plan to attend again next year. Heck, it's becoming an annual trip for me!
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Yeah I remember that quite a few of the games were canceled last year due to the weather. Thankfully this year was not as bad. I really do regret not getting to watch it, if I had a DVR I would have recorded the games so I could watch them later on. Maybe when I get older I could probably attend a series, would be fun to too :)
William

Post by William »

Yes, I highly recommend it if you get the chance. The atmosphere is great, the people are wonderful and the food is relatively inexpensive. Best of all, there is no admission charge although donations are accepted at each game. The Little League museum is there as well. It's has a lot of neat and interesting stuff.
xsakurax
Gold Member

Post by xsakurax »

If I'm not wrong, I found out on YouTube that The Perfect Game gonna be out only during Spring 2009. And that is like so long! ARGH.
xsakurax
Gold Member

Post by xsakurax »

I checked out the Wikipedia, and it says The Perfect Game's release has been listed for spring 2009.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Perfect_Game

And I checked out a YouTube video featuring an interview with one of the Perfect game's actor, Jake T Austin. (From 3:39)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nB0Gmx-lG0I

And Jake's website also said that the movie will only be out on Spring 2009.

http://www.jaketaustin.com/

Grr. I'm like so disappointed! Got to wait so long till next year. Is there other movies worth going for at the mean time? I'm having holidays now, and I'm like so bored! That's nothing much to do, and there's no homework either! Haha. :D
William

Post by William »

Wow, that is discouraging. Especially since the film has been completed for almost a year now. It is much more discouraging when you consider the garbage that continues to be released, full of violence, blood and whatever else. It's a sad commentary on the mentality of our society when trash like 'Bangkok Dangerous' and the 'Saw' films continue to have enduring popularity. I enjoy going to the movies but there is so little worth my time and money. I do like action and adventure, but not films with gratuitous blood and/or violence that are sadly so prevalent. But Hollywood being what it is I don't think we can expect much change anytime soon.
Thanks for the update. I guess we'll wait a few more months. But if you haven't read the book, it is well worth the time and money!
xsakurax
Gold Member

Post by xsakurax »

EXACTLY! Nowadays, the films aren't that great after all. Horror totally freaks me out, and many films have similar plots and cliche endings. Sigh.

I'm gonna get the book instead first, maybe this or next weekend when I drop by the bookshop. Haha.
William

Post by William »

Great! Let me know what you think of it. If you like that one I've got other baseball/kids themed books to recommend!