Summer 2012 Concerts - Jersey and Guernsey

Talks and reviews about Libera concerts or public appearances

Moderator: Moderators

Choirfan
Silver Member

Re: Summer 2012 Concerts - Jersey and Guernsey

Post by Choirfan »

Oh Dear!

Just looked into flights from Cork, Ireland to Jersey for 1st to 4th August, 320 euro :shock: Add to that the cost of accomodation and everything else and I'm afraid its a 'can't do it this time' for me.

I dont understand why they would chose to do their concerts in a place that seems awkward to get to for many of the fans that would otherwise go and see them. Why not Paris or Amsterdam??? In any case i saw them just recently at Arundel, and as they seem to not have any new material out at the moment, i can't see the concerts being much different to what i saw in May.

Pity, as i always like to see them regardless, but the hassle and cost of getting to such places rules it out for me (unless by some chance i find a much cheaper price to get there)
"You are not alone"
viabuona
Gold Member

Post by viabuona »

Choirfan wrote:I dont understand why they would chose to do their concerts in a place that seems awkward to get to for many of the fans that would otherwise go and see them.
Well, the next Milestone will be the Ticket sales. But I have my doubts that the record to sell 100 premium tickets in 51 minutes will be broken. :roll:
dani
Diamond Member

Post by dani »

Choirfan wrote:Oh Dear!

Just looked into flights from Cork, Ireland to Jersey for 1st to 4th August, 320 euro :shock: Add to that the cost of accomodation and everything else and I'm afraid its a 'can't do it this time' for me.

I dont understand why they would chose to do their concerts in a place that seems awkward to get to for many of the fans that would otherwise go and see them. Why not Paris or Amsterdam???
In any case i saw them just recently at Arundel, and as they seem to not have any new material out at the moment, i can't see the concerts being much different to what i saw in May.

Pity, as i always like to see them regardless, but the hassle and cost of getting to such places rules it out for me (unless by some chance i find a much cheaper price to get there)

Because this is not about us . This about the boys having there yearly holiday . If nobody went to the concerts they would still have there holiday there . I am sure they know that the concerts won't sell out but that's not the point for these concerts .
maartendas
Diamond Member

Post by maartendas »

Choirfan wrote: I dont understand why they would chose to do their concerts in a place that seems awkward to get to for many of the fans that would otherwise go and see them. Why not Paris or Amsterdam??? In any case i saw them just recently at Arundel, and as they seem to not have any new material out at the moment, i can't see the concerts being much different to what i saw in May.
It seems strange that they don't go to the US as it's proven to be a really succesful market for them where they have built a network of people and organisations (venues, accommodations, sponsors, media etc) that help make a tour there possible. The boys always enjoy it. It almost seems to me that they must have gotten a good and feasible offer for the Channel Islands when there was no such offer forthcoming from the US at the moment. Maybe it's a result of the current economic crisis, who knows. (That's also the reason why Paris or Amsterdam aren't on their list (yet) - no feasible money offer - they usually ask for the costs to be covered in advance, which is a hassle to get done if Libera is virtually unknown in that country...) It's great if they can tap into some new audiences on the islands but I also think it's a loss if they miss a year of going to the US in terms of marketing and stuff.

I hope for the regular fans that there is some change in line-up and setlist - though the Arundel setlist was really very strong. I'm thinking particularly of Matthew Jansen's solo in I Vow to Thee and ofcourse Ralph's solo in Do Not Stand.
You raise me high beyond the sky
Through stormy night lifting me above
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

dani wrote:Because this is not about us . This about the boys having their yearly holiday . If nobody went to the concerts they would still have their holiday there . I am sure they know that the concerts won't sell out but that's not the point for these concerts .
Yep, agreed dani - and this whole summer tour thing is actually quite a recent development. They used to just have a quite week away (sort of a choir camp) with maybe a concert at a church local to where they stayed without much in the way of advertising.

maartendas wrote:It seems strange that they don't go to the US as it's proven to be a really succesful market for them where they have built a network of people and organisations (venues, accommodations, sponsors, media etc) that help make a tour there possible. The boys always enjoy it. It almost seems to me that they must have gotten a good and feasible offer for the Channel Islands when there was no such offer forthcoming from the US at the moment. Maybe it's a result of the current economic crisis, who knows. (That's also the reason why Paris or Amsterdam aren't on their list (yet) - no feasible money offer - they usually ask for the costs to be covered in advance, which is a hassle to get done if Libera is virtually unknown in that country...) It's great if they can tap into some new audiences on the islands but I also think it's a loss if they miss a year of going to the US in terms of marketing and stuff.
Money, pure and simple. I'm not sure how successful the US tours were at generating revenue to be honest. Some venues were not that well attended but some had very good audience numbers. I think at least some part of the costs have been covered for the last couple of US trips (the Starkey gala for instance) so I can only assume there was no offer this year and the cost of a US tour is so large they can't do it with out the help of a benefactor covering a chunk of their costs.
maartendas wrote:I hope for the regular fans that there is some change in line-up and setlist - though the Arundel setlist was really very strong. I'm thinking particularly of Matthew Jansen's solo in I Vow to Thee and of course Ralph's solo in Do Not Stand.
Based on what I heard and saw in Arundel (as did you :D ) and what I read about Singapore & Japan I think these concerts will have some changes to principals and hopefully perhaps a couple of new songs (as in from the back catalogue) in the programme. I really hope Mysterium is back but I honestly don't think it will be :(
Last edited by Yorkie on Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
viabuona
Gold Member

Post by viabuona »

dani wrote:Because this is not about us . This about the boys having there yearly holiday . If nobody went to the concerts they would still have there holiday there . I am sure they know that the concerts won't sell out but that's not the point for these concerts .
Dani, I fear you're right but I don't know how the fans like and accept this :?
dani
Diamond Member

Post by dani »

Yorkie if you are making song suggestions then i suggest ' Time' should make a come back ;)

I do think it will be a slighty different set list but not too much. But i think Ralph wont be singing solo and Stefan also wont which would bring in changes .

Also do you think any of the older boys may be back?
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

Well, Ralph and Stefan were both showing signs of breaking voices at the last concerts so three months on it is possible that they will be on the back row. Depends on which older boys you mean - Ben and Josh? No, I wouldn't expect them to be there but I'm often wrong as far as Libera is concerned so who knows.

Mercy & Love
dani
Diamond Member

Post by dani »

Yorkie wrote:Well, Ralph and Stefan were both showing signs of breaking voices at the last concerts so three months on it is possible that they will be on the back row. Depends on which older boys you mean - Ben and Josh? No, I wouldn't expect them to be there but I'm often wrong as far as Libera is concerned so who knows.

Yes Stefan went the same way as Liam in the last concert as a treble. They have lost control of there voices . So they could not go high and then low without going out of pitch.

I am not criticizing as it must be tough but i remember Liam struggling as well in his last few concerts with that issue.

Ralph still seemed to have better control over his voice.
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

dani wrote: Yes Stefan went the same way as Liam in the last concert as a treble. They have lost control of there voices . So they could not go high and then low without going out of pitch.

I am not criticizing as it must be tough but i remember Liam struggling as well in his last few concerts with that issue.

A bit harsh dani - I didn't think either of them did badly at all in Arundel, I just meant the tone of their voices was an indication of voice change :D I think I might be to blame for your opinion about Liam losing his voice in a concert. It was Edinburgh and I said that he missed the high note in Libera and it was a thought of "oh oh, was that Liam's voice breaking or was it just one of those things that happens in a live performance?". I did go on to say he nailed the same note in the encore of Libera at the end so it was just one of those things that happens to any singer (well, those that actually do sing live and not mime to a backing track). Poor Liam has been dogged by my poor reporting skills ever since!

Mercy & Love
dani
Diamond Member

Post by dani »

Yorkie wrote:
dani wrote: Yes Stefan went the same way as Liam in the last concert as a treble. They have lost control of there voices . So they could not go high and then low without going out of pitch.

A bit harsh dani - I didn't think either of them did badly at all in Arundel, I just meant the tone of their voices was an indication of voice change :D I think I might be to blame for your opinion about Liam losing his voice in a concert. It was Edinburgh and I said that he missed the high note in Libera and it was a thought of "oh oh, was that Liam's voice breaking or was it just one of those things that happens in a live performance?". I did go on to say he nailed the same note in the encore of Libera at the end so it was just one of those things that happens to any singer (well, those that actually do sing live and not mime to a backing track). Poor Liam has been dogged by my poor reporting skills ever since!

I did not say Stefan had done a bad job , just that his vocal control was going. It is natural and he was still one of the best singers there. Just a sign of change.
tom413
Gold Member

Post by tom413 »

viabuona wrote:
dani wrote:Because this is not about us . This about the boys having there yearly holiday . If nobody went to the concerts they would still have there holiday there . I am sure they know that the concerts won't sell out but that's not the point for these concerts .

While I grant you that the Channel Islands are not the easiest place to get to (three separate plane rides each way for me),
to me they look like a better vacation spot then some of those big cities with cheaper airfare. What I wished for my fellow fans is
that one of the concerts would have been on a weekend, presenting the opportunity for someone with limited vacation to
take in one show at least.
Horticult2000

Post by Horticult2000 »

viabuona wrote:
The holiday thing is part of it. I understand they wanted to be away from London during the Olympics anyway, they combined these thoughts. I do not think they would do it without reasonably sound financial backing, that they plan two concerts per island says they trust there will be enough people turning up. That they decided upon the Chanel Islands probably has also to do with Mr. Philipp's work, that covers the islands.
Johan
TullyBascombe
Platinum Member

Post by TullyBascombe »

How does Mr. Phillip's work cover the channel islands?
Horticult2000

Post by Horticult2000 »

TullyBascombe wrote:How does Mr. Phillip's work cover the channel islands?
He works for a consultancy firm and I think the Channal Islands are in his territory