Concert in Arundel - 5 May 2012

Talks and reviews about Libera concerts or public appearances

Moderator: Moderators

Yorkie
Diamond Member

Re: Concert in Arundel - 5 May 2012

Post by Yorkie »

maartendas wrote:Looking into train tickets for early Sunday morning so we can catch the 11.30 Mass at St. Paul's but it's pretty expensive - nearly £ 50 for the two of us. I don't understand how some of you got a lot cheaper tickets. Here in the Netherlands it's the same price for the same distance but I guess in the UK it works differently :?
Oh my boyfriend says that on the National Railway website they give cheaper options than Southern. Like a Super Off Peak Day Ticket (single). Confusing :?:
UK train tickets can be extortionate if you buy on or near the date of travel - to get a cheap ticket you need to book as far in advance as possible (usually 12 weeks for the best deal). Thanks to our loving Government our railways are run by private companies. These companies get billions of pounds of tax payer money to run the trains - and then pay billions of pounds in dividends to share holders. Insane, but that's what you get when you let politicians run the country :lol:

You need to buy a standard class advanced single ticket. You can only travel on the specific train your ticket is for (the 07:24 say) but if you do that you can still get a ticket from £4.95 - you need to book online via the Southern website (link given above).

#edit# F_D_L beat me to it. Book on a credit card and then you can collect the tickets from a machine at the station (but don't forget the longer journey time as there is a bus part of the way due to engineering works)
Last edited by Yorkie on Wed May 02, 2012 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
maartendas
Diamond Member

Post by maartendas »

Thanks FDL and Yorkie :) I managed to get a ticket for the two of us for £9.90. Only thing I'm worried about now is whether I'll be able to collect it - I paid with a virtual credit card (online voucher) but it says I need the card I used for the purchase to actually collect it at the station...
You raise me high beyond the sky
Through stormy night lifting me above
fan_de_LoK
Diamond Member

Post by fan_de_LoK »

I'm quite used to collect tickets at machines in London Stations and yes, the machine will claim for your credit card.

My bank also provides me with virtual credit cards, very usefull and secured way to buy things online, but for some transactions like here I use my physical credit card, just for being able to insert it into the machine for the collect.

In your case Maartendas you have now no choice, you will have to go to a cashier nearby the machines and explain him the context about having used a virtual credit card. With an ID card to prove your name it will be OK, the cashier will deliver you the tickets :)
Be sure to have a little extra time in case of queuing to reach the cashier ;)
maartendas
Diamond Member

Post by maartendas »

OK thanks :) I hope Arundel station has cashiers ;) Anyway, we'll manage. I don't want to clutter the topic with my public transport adventures ;)
fan_de_LoK
Diamond Member

Post by fan_de_LoK »

Beware that Arundel station will be probably closed on Sunday morning, due to the engineering works.

You should collect all your tickets at your departure station, Victoria Station I guess ;)
maartendas
Diamond Member

Post by maartendas »

OK thanks! Our departure station will be Gatwick Airport on Friday. Looks like I'll be able to collect them there as well :)
fan_de_LoK
Diamond Member

Post by fan_de_LoK »

I already went to Gatwick Airport Railway station and I confirm you there is a Ticket counter in addition of the ticket machines :)

Here a map of the station showing the location of the Ticket Counter, in orange :
http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/stations/ ... rtnloc=GTW
fan_de_LoK
Diamond Member

Post by fan_de_LoK »

(Quotes from the Japan 2012 topic)
Yorkie wrote:
john45 wrote: Talking of the Olympics, Kavana and Barney say :"while you're there you might as well come and see us" and "we're doing some concerts at Arundel Cathedral"

Concerts (plural)? During the Olympics?

I was planning to stay away from London during the Olympics.

Might have to change my plans?????

John
Well, that would be nice but more likely to be just a slight mis-speak on the boys part - I can't see them doing multiple Arundel concerts but I wouldn't say no to a few others (but preferably not London because the hotel choice/price situation is horrible over the period of the Olympics).
Even if I share Yorkie's opinion about multiple concerts in Arundel being very unlikely this summer, I went a little further in this hypothesis and I sent this week-end and email to the contact said on the Cathedral site.
I asked them if they can update the "events" page that was still stuck on December-February.

They updated the page this morning, showing now finally Libera's concert on Saturday :)
http://www.arundelcathedral.org/events.htm.

The schedule shows now events tills end of August and no other Libera concert is said, which was very guessable.

But Arundel will be involved in the Olympic Games : the Olympic Torch will cross Arundel on Monday 16th July :)
dani
Diamond Member

Post by dani »

Does anybody have a spare premium seat for Saturday ?

It's a long shot but I figure this is the best place to ask .. Please pm if anybody does

Thanks
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

fan_de_LoK wrote:Beware that Arundel station will be probably closed on Sunday morning, due to the engineering works.

You should collect all your tickets at your departure station, Victoria Station I guess ;)
I'm impressed by your in-depth knowledge of the UK public transport system F_D_L - your advice is spot on. You can only get the ticket from a machine with an 'actual' credit card.
Last edited by Yorkie on Wed May 02, 2012 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mercy & Love
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

dani wrote:Does anybody have a spare premium seat for Saturday ?

It's a long shot but I figure this is the best place to ask .. Please pm if anybody does

Thanks
If anybody has any free gold bars to give away can you let me know :D Have you finally got your dad to sit through a whole concert dani?

Mercy & Love
maartendas
Diamond Member

Post by maartendas »

Yorkie wrote: If anybody has any free gold bars to give away can you let me know :D
For a moment there I thought you were talking of Willy Wonka's golden ticket chocolate bars :lol: Though I must say a Libera premium ticket amounts to the same thing in terms of excitement :D
dani
Diamond Member

Post by dani »

Yorkie wrote:
dani wrote:Does anybody have a spare premium seat for Saturday ?

Thanks
If anybody has any free gold bars to give away can you let me know :D Have you finally got your dad to sit through a whole concert dani?

nope my mum is going with her friends but they dont plan to get there till after 7pm so they will be stuck right at the back so i figured id ask if there was one as my mum wants to be able to see them.
maartendas
Diamond Member

Post by maartendas »

Well, I'm pretty much all packed, just need to get a good night's sleep because we're leaving early tomorrow morning.
See you all there!
viabuona
Gold Member

Post by viabuona »

maartendas wrote:Well, I'm pretty much all packed, just need to get a good night's sleep because we're leaving early tomorrow morning.
See you all there!
Lucky you! I'm just started to pack :?
Should arrive tomorrow arround 15:00 at Arundel . Have a pleasant journey :D