Olympics

Talk about anything else here

Moderator: Moderators

Anonymous

Olympics

Post by Anonymous »

Last night was the broadcast (delayed however) of the opening ceremonies of 2008 Beijing Olympics in the US and I must say I was in complete awe throughout the entire show. The programme was very well planned out and choreographed. The special effects were fantastic and nothing I have ever seen yet in my life. I applaud the Chinese for their hard work and determination for these games and the hard work they put in to make the opening ceremonies something spectacular. I cannot wait to see what spectacular moments they have planned for the closing ceremonies.

London is set to host the 2012 games and I am more than anxious to see what they come up with for their opening and closing ceremonies. Libera should be part of it, I'm sure whoever will direct it will find a way to incorporate the group into something spectacular.
JimmyRiddle
Diamond Member

Post by JimmyRiddle »

Yes, I was completely amazed by Beijings Opening Ceremony. I thought (maybe due to natural preconceptions) that it would be a little formal, and sturgid. However the technology involved and the dramatic eye catching choreography was oustanding. Mind you they did splash alot of money on it.

London 2012 will fail if they even try to attempt to raise the level above Beijing. What will work for London 2012 is the culture, heritage and historical history they can drawn on, as well as their acheivements in the modern era which are instantly recognisable the world over. From Shakespear to Harry Potter, and from Kings and Queen's to Mr Bean - we should have enough to keep everyone happy.

And of course if Libera are featured in 2012 then it will automatically be a spectacular opening ceremony. :)
tcliffy
Gold Member

Post by tcliffy »

It truly was an amazing performance and something I'll remember the rest of my life.
http://www.troyesivan.com/forum" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
kjackson83

Post by kjackson83 »

Blown away! China really did itself proud with that opening ceremony. The head of the London 2012 committee was probably sitting out there thinking, "Oh dear Lord, how will we ever match this?!"

But I'm sure London will rise to and above the bar--because it's G.B.! Seriously! But I'm hard-core Anglophilic :wink: And I echo Kevin's hope that Libera are a part of it, since Libera (and the treble choir tradition) are very much a part of the U.K.'s magnificent, rich cultural heritage.

*sigh. I wish I were British.

Meanwhile, the 2008 opening ceremonies were second to none. That was truly amazing. The part where the globe rose out of the stadium floor...W:shock:W!! And Lang Lang owns the piano. He's the keyboard world's equivalent of Tom Cully's vocal chords.

On a slightly more serious note: I hope these Games are everything the Chinese and the world have hoped and dreamed they would be--that, for just a moment, we'll somehow rise above the sniping and politicking that seems to define our species, and celebrate the word that dominated the opening ceremonies: "Harmony" - 和諧.

Go World.
xsakurax
Gold Member

Post by xsakurax »

Yeah, I agree. The opening ceremonies were pretty magnificent. It has got strong chinese culture and traditions and I can personally relate to it. Everything was just co-ordinated and perfect - the lights, the people and everything else.

I hope for the 2012 London Olympics, Libera get to sing for the opening ceremonies. After all, they are a symbol of the country and one of the best choirs known world wide. Go Libera!
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

kjackson83 wrote:And I echo Kevin's hope that Libera are a part of it, since Libera (and the treble choir tradition) are very much a part of the U.K.'s magnificent, rich cultural heritage.

*sigh. I wish I were British.
Exactly!! Libera would be perfect to be a part of the opening ceremonies!!! And I wish I were British as well :( Im sure if we contact the right people this will happen... ;)

However, the Beijing Olympics is probably the most anticipated games in Olympic history what with all the hype over China's coming out as a nation and opening its doors to the world.

Harmony
和諧

One World. One Dream.
一個世界。一個夢想。
Last edited by Anonymous on Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kthomp
Silver Member

Post by kthomp »

yeah it would be amazing if libera sang when we english host the olympics,

i have a funny feelign ours wont be as spectualar as beijing seeing as we have £20 million to spend and they had £40 million, but hey who needs money when we have voices of angels. :D
When you miss me just look up to the night sky and remember, I'm like a star; sometimes you can't see me, but I'm always there.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

kthomp wrote:but hey who needs money when we have voices of angels. :D
well said and i agree :D :D
kjackson83

Post by kjackson83 »

Ok, so the usual question!

If Libera were asked to sing three songs for the 2012 opening ceremonies, what would you want to hear?

BTW: Voca me was on a recent "official Olympics soundtrack" release from two years ago (the Winter Games), I think...at least, this is according to iTunes.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Far Away, Going Home and Love and Mercy all sound very much appropriate for them to sing at the opening ceremonies. :)
xsakurax
Gold Member

Post by xsakurax »

A song that is really "English"? As in a song that can represent England? Like maybe some traditional english songs?

How about Sanctus, Jerusalem, and Far away?
tcliffy
Gold Member

Post by tcliffy »

I Vow To Thee My Country would be one I would pick. I can't think of anything else that would fit. What's the theme for the 2012 Olympics. This one's is One World or something like that.
http://www.troyesivan.com/forum" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

One World. One Dream.
一個世界。一個夢想。

...is Beijing's theme. Not sure exactly what London's is just yet.

I Vow To Thee My Country would be another great choice for them to sing, along with Far Away and Love and Mercy, and Going Home would be perfect for the closing ceremonies :)
TullyBascombe
Platinum Member

Post by TullyBascombe »

I think that I Vow To Thee My Country is too deeply associated with the Great War to be used in the Olynpics. It conjours up images of millions of young men marching cheerfully to their doom under a leadership so mired in the glories of the past that they were unable to adapt to the realities of the present and all for a dubious cause - to determine whether the province of Bosnia would remain Austrian or become Serbian. What truly makes this entire sad episode of history so poignantly tragic is that 80 years later the Bosnians, who it turns out were predominantly Muslim and not Serbian, finally are forced to fight and die for what they really wanted, their independence.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Okay, but I really think Love and Mercy would suite the opening ceremonies well and Going Home for the closing. Far Away can also work for probably both :)

I must say since these games started, I have gotten absolutely nothing done on the website :P As a lot of you may already know I am very much into sports and athletics, play baseball, basketball, and football (American) myself. The games are broadcasted on NBC here in the US, delayed of course, and there is usually programming on all of the NBC networks here so I am basically glued to my TV when its on, especially during that breathtaking opening ceremony and Im sure I will be glued during the closing ceremonies as well.

These games have been, so far, very exciting. I cannot wait until 2012 rolls along and the games go to London :D

Go World!!