Olympics

Talk about anything else here

Moderator: Moderators

TullyBascombe
Platinum Member

Post by TullyBascombe »

kjackson83 wrote:I don't know that I Vow to Thee would carry that kind of baggage with people nowadays, do you think? I've always thought of it as a Briton's hymn to their country.

What would be great would be R.P. writing some new stuff if Libera were asked far enough in advance to participate.

But, I would say Love and Mercy and Far Away...and it would be really cool if the whole thing--the whole opening ceremony--were to begin with the group singing their a cappella You Are the New Day.
It's not like I have personal memories of WW1, but to date it is the second deadliest war ever waged. Unlike WW2 it wasn't a clear-cut struggle between fascist aggressors and their (relatively) innocent victims. Instead it was the result of a greed-inspired land grab magnified by centuries of chauvinism, bigotry, jealousy, and vengeful resentment.
I believe it was in 1999 that Charlotte Church put her version of that song on one of her albums. It was about that time that the US was bombing the begeezus out of Serbia in order to keep their army from driving the Kosovars out of Serbia. When I bought her album I was at first moved by the beauty of the song, then repelled by the mindless jingoism of that era which it represents. I would recommend that some day you read Barbara Tuchman's The Guns of August. She does an excellent job of describing the behind the scenes events leading up to the war. Basically it appears that the Great War was just the thing that everyone feared would happen, yet also everyone eagerly anticipated. Each of the "great" nations of Europe thought that the war would be just the thing - to prove their superiority, to slake their lust for revenge, to prove the manhood of their youths. They got far more than they bargined for.
tcliffy
Gold Member

Post by tcliffy »

hmm... I think I see where you are coming from in regards to I Vow To Thee, My Country but I still kind of think it would be good. It doesn't matter what it was written for, things change- why not the song's meaning. The Olympics are all about sportsmanship and national pride. Being able to represent one's country is the single greatest honor an athlete could ever have, just as a soldier. But you may be right and I'm completely off the wall in this. I'll leave it to Libera to decide if they get the chance.

About the judging... there was an article done by some British source that stated that in events such as soccer, gymnastics, and other sports where there are direct humans in charge of refereeing and scoring and such, there is HUGE anti-American sentiment and that all Americans are being judged harsher and harder than any other nation. I'll try to find the article and perhaps someone will be able to see if the source is a good one or if it's just one of these idiotic groups that make up everything.
http://www.troyesivan.com/forum" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
libera36

Post by libera36 »

Yeah! The thing that always has me confused is the one score for difficulty and one score for execution!! I suppose that is how someone with a really difficult dive or routine comes out ahead of a person who did their routine perfectly....
jennaluvspbr
Gold Member

Post by jennaluvspbr »

Kevin wrote:Okay, but I really think Love and Mercy would suite the opening ceremonies well and Going Home for the closing. Far Away can also work for probably both :)

I must say since these games started, I have gotten absolutely nothing done on the website :P As a lot of you may already know I am very much into sports and athletics, play baseball, basketball, and football (American) myself. The games are broadcasted on NBC here in the US, delayed of course, and there is usually programming on all of the NBC networks here so I am basically glued to my TV when its on, especially during that breathtaking opening ceremony and Im sure I will be glued during the closing ceremonies as well.

These games have been, so far, very exciting. I cannot wait until 2012 rolls along and the games go to London :D

Go World!!
i wondr if libera will do anything to play some games becues i wondring if they had a favriet sports that they like to do and to be in it can be fun for boys to injoy the games and things like that my favriet song is going home by josh and many more
JimmyRiddle
Diamond Member

Post by JimmyRiddle »

I actually would have loved for Libera to feature in the handover ceremony to London 2012 during Beijings closing ceremony next weekend. Instead some urban street dance act is performing, along with Leona Lewis, David Beckham and a Routemaster bus. Okay I suppose, but would have loved for Libera to feature.
libera36

Post by libera36 »

JimmyRiddle- That would be so incredibly awesome!! But alas, the world has yet to find out about classical music's best kept secret =)

jennaluvspbr- I bet they are soccer (or should I say football!) fans!! I'm pretty sure that Josh supports Arsenal F.C.!! And I know that a couple of the boys (Oliver Cole, Liam...) are swimmers.....
xsakurax
Gold Member

Post by xsakurax »

Yesterday, I watched the table tennis semi finals and oh my god! I'm so proud of my country! They finally got into the finals! It's the team events. It's like first time in Singapore history, that we gonna have a silver medal in the bag, at least. The last medal we won in the Olympics was like 48 years ago, you know? And that was the only one.
libera36

Post by libera36 »

That's really cool!! I wish I could watch some table tennis (I love watching friends play, so I bet watching professionals would be awesome!) but its NEVER on a channel we get....
jennaluvspbr
Gold Member

Post by jennaluvspbr »

libera36 wrote:JimmyRiddle- That would be so incredibly awesome!! But alas, the world has yet to find out about classical music's best kept secret =)

jennaluvspbr- I bet they are soccer (or should I say football!) fans!! I'm pretty sure that Josh supports Arsenal F.C.!! And I know that a couple of the boys (Oliver Cole, Liam...) are swimmers.....
you no what libera 36 i thank so too i swimm a lot too i am not a big sporst fan but my fmaily is a big fan of lakers and many more and i bet people who do good jobs of take the sport to a new lavel i thank thats what its all a bout if libera is good at it so can i hahahaha
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Michael Phelps is such an amazing athlete winning his 8th gold medal in these games, breaking Mark Spitz's record of 7 gold medals in one Olympic games. I am proud to call myself an American after an amazing triumph and accomplishment from Phelps.

Im sure Phelps has influenced children from all over the world and I cannot wait to see who it is in the, Im sure, very near future who will try to beat that record.
xsakurax
Gold Member

Post by xsakurax »

Yeah, exactly, Michael Phelps is really great at swimming! I saw the 7th gold medal he won was like by a fingertip! He's faster than the silver by 0.01seconds! Totally amazing. And he broke so many Olympics records.
libera36

Post by libera36 »

Oh yeah! He's definitely influenced me... He's like walking, talking proof of how hard work can pay off!!
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Yeah thats true, he has accomplished so much and he deserves what he has earned.
kjackson83

Post by kjackson83 »

Watching the closing ceremonies...they're even more incredible than the opening! China really outdid itself.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

I cant help but agree. The closing ceremonies were fantastic, I did feel sad as it felt like it was the very last Olympic games ever. I cannot wait to see what London has in store for us in 2012, hopefully we get a special surprise from our favorite boys choir ;)