email from SoP

Talk about Libera here in.

Moderator: Moderators

TullyBascombe
Platinum Member

Post by TullyBascombe »

There just aren't enough Anglicans in the US to provide a sufficient demographic.
kjackson83

Post by kjackson83 »

Songs of Praise has appeal beyond just Anglicans/Episcopalians, though. Well, of course this is the land of the "contemporary Christian music" phenomenon, which is (unwittingly and unintentionally) something of an undoing for interest in traditional hymns.

But you are right: as an Episcopalian myself, we're definitely in the minority. These internal theological duels between "orthodox" and "liberals" aren't really helping our image much these days, either. It's sad, really, to think that the Anglican Communion is on the verge of tearing itself apart.
TEB
Gold Member

Post by TEB »

I think what may be killing the traditional hymns in the US is the way some churches perform them. I know in my United Methodist church, until we hired a keyboardist who knows her stuff, we had an older person playing and she just plodded along with no real tempo, making every hymn seem like a funeral dirge. So some churchs, our sister chuch comes to mind, are going so completely the other direction and do the so called contemporary music. I personally dislike the contemporary style of service but I also can't stand the classic hymns played as if everyone in the church is dead.
Tom B.
Proud to be an American
Clan Farquharson, Scotland

"I AM THE DAWN OF ALL TIME."
danieb88
Silver Member

Post by danieb88 »

I dont know if this will help all you americans but if you can go on the website: http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; then you can watch programs up to 30days after they have been aired. this may just be a service for the UK though - worth a try when Songs of Praise is aired!
Danie
kjackson83

Post by kjackson83 »

danieb88 wrote:I dont know if this will help all you americans but if you can go on the website: http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; then you can watch programs up to 30days after they have been aired. this may just be a service for the UK though - worth a try when Songs of Praise is aired!
Danie
Hehe Danie:
iPlayer only offers audio programs right now...hopefully eventually the BBC will figure out a way to fund it for the rest of us :( I missed Britain from Above because of that!
Jude Andrew
Gold Member

Post by Jude Andrew »

danieb88 wrote:I dont know if this will help all you americans but if you can go on the website: http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; then you can watch programs up to 30days after they have been aired. this may just be a service for the UK though - worth a try when Songs of Praise is aired!
Danie
Yup, unfortunately iPlayer only works in the UK. When a non UK resident clicks on the link you get the message below:

Currently BBC iPlayer TV programmes are available to play in the UK only, but all BBC iPlayer Radio programmes are available to you.

but thanks for the thought Danie
kjackson83

Post by kjackson83 »

There is supposed to be a solution for the iPlayer's video offerings in the future--part of it is the licence fee you and your family pay, Danie: it wouldn't be right for Britons to pay the fee while everyone else gets a free ride on the iPlayer overseas...

...eventually, eventually; but yes, thanks very much for the thought. For now, we'll have to ride on the goodwill of the British fans ;) .
TullyBascombe
Platinum Member

Post by TullyBascombe »

Are there Proxy servers in the UK with which we could access the site?
danieb88
Silver Member

Post by danieb88 »

Ah ok fair enough!
Well if someone can teach me how to get programs onto the internet I would be happy to help out!
Danie :D
worshipper28
Silver Member

Post by worshipper28 »

Today 18 looking to Songs of praise at the end we could see some Libera boys Some thinga I ready had seen and some not so I see forward to the broadcating of next week It starts in uktime at 16:55
worshipper28
Silver Member

Post by worshipper28 »

een klein stukje hiervan
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... annel_page
worshipper28
Silver Member

Post by worshipper28 »

worshipper28 wrote:een klein stukje hiervan
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... annel_page
is dutch and means Just only a little piece of it
dillonryan

Post by dillonryan »

Grrrrrrrr :evil:! What a frustrating little teaser!
Libera_me

Post by Libera_me »

dillonryan wrote:Grrrrrrrr :evil:! What a frustrating little teaser!
I'll say! I really want to see that!!! Too bad i'm in the USA. Sorry if you've already mentionded this but, is there anywhere I can see just this program?
TullyBascombe
Platinum Member

Post by TullyBascombe »

Libera_me wrote:
dillonryan wrote:Grrrrrrrr :evil:! What a frustrating little teaser!
I'll say! I really want to see that!!! Too bad i'm in the USA. Sorry if you've already mentionded this but, is there anywhere I can see just this program?
In one week, yes.