Organ music

Talk about other music related artists you like

Moderator: Moderators

maartendas
Diamond Member

Organ music

Post by maartendas »

Slowly but surely I am developing a love for organ music. I thought I'd share my enthusiasm here because without Libera I would not be listening to organ music the way I am now. Libera made me listen to English church choirs and ofcourse the organ is the principal instrument accompanying such choirs. It seems that Libera has started to encompass all the music that is now dear to me: boy trebles, church hymns, organ music and plainchant...

Anyway, here's a piece I found today - an improvisation on a hymn tune called Sandon. It's used for a hymn called "Heer, wees mijn gids" which is the Dutch version of "Lead, kindly light" (notice the Libera link? :D)
In the Dutch Protestant church many famous Anglican hymns are sung in Dutch translation :)

[youtube][/youtube]

Another favourite of mine is this piece by Johann Sebastian Bach played on one of my favourite organs in the world, the Müller organ in the Great or St. Bavo church in Haarlem, the Netherlands (video made by me for the sole purpose of being able to share this version :)):

[youtube][/youtube]

I also very much enjoy this young fellow countryman of mine. Here he plays another one of my absolute favourites from Bach in a wonderful version :):

[youtube][/youtube]

And this is a glorious and powerful piece also by Bach and played in a cathedral well known to Libera fans ;)

[youtube][/youtube]

I hope you enjoy watching and listening to these clips and that we can share more beautiful organ music here :) In the future I would also like to post clips from the organ of St. Paul's Cathedral in London and from the organ at St. Ouen Abbey in Rouen (France), very famous organs with a splendid sound.
You raise me high beyond the sky
Through stormy night lifting me above
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Re: Organ music

Post by Yorkie »

Now Maarten, have you got RP's CD? I might be making this up but in the dark corners of my mind I'm sure their was an album with Robert playing some organ music - possibly his own compositions?

Can anybody help with that?
If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
maartendas
Diamond Member

Post by maartendas »

Hi Yorkie,
Nope, that's new to me. I found some recordings of RP's Toccata for organ, written as theme music for Songs of Praise, but that's it:

[youtube][/youtube]

Meanwhile, here's some Widor from St. Ouen to freshen up your ears on a weekday morning:

[youtube][/youtube]

And to rinse after that, a soft piece by Handel from St. Paul's:

[youtube][/youtube]
Murkskis

Post by Murkskis »

Nice list, Maarten!
A bit more of organ music-
Saint Saens- Hymne à Victor Hugo- Organ at St Ouen, Rouen
+ pictures of an impressive looking cathedral :o

[youtube][/youtube]
Yorkie wrote:I'm sure their was an album with Robert playing some organ music - possibly his own compositions?
No idea, but I'm also very interested to find out more!
maartendas
Diamond Member

Post by maartendas »

Thanks Murkskis :) Wonderful clip!

(You know ofcourse that organ music and Saint-Saëns and Libera is a good combination ;))
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

maartendas wrote:Hi Yorkie,
Nope, that's new to me. I found some recordings of RP's Toccata for organ, written as theme music for Songs of Praise, but that's it:
Yeah, that might well be what I was getting confused with. I always like this one for the interplay of organ and choir:

[youtube][/youtube]

Mercy & Love
maartendas
Diamond Member

Post by maartendas »

Wow, that was the first Haydn piece ever that I actually liked! I had heard some instrumental works by him and some for solo voice but they never grabbed my attention. This, however, was great! And I just love St. John's College choir :D
fan_de_LoK
Diamond Member

Post by fan_de_LoK »

I can't resist to show here the Toccata from the 5th Symphony of Charles-Marie Widor (thank you Maartendas ;) )
I really like this work :D

The organ sound is from New York but the images are from the Cathedral-Basilica of St Louis, where Libera sung two concerts !

[youtube][/youtube]
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

fan_de_LoK wrote:I can't resist to show here the Toccata from the 5th Symphony of Charles-Marie Widor (thank you Maartendas ;) )
Great choice FDL - I love that one as well but never knew what it was called! It gets played a lot for major ceremonial events over here in England :D

I have been trying to think of another organ piece I love that is normally considered creepy/scary (because it uses 'The Devil's chord'). It has been used in horror films and is by a major composer (Mozart maybe?) but I can't for the life of me remember what the piece is called :(

Mercy & Love
maartendas
Diamond Member

Post by maartendas »

Yorkie wrote:
fan_de_LoK wrote:I can't resist to show here the Toccata from the 5th Symphony of Charles-Marie Widor (thank you Maartendas ;) )
Great choice FDL - I love that one as well but never knew what it was called! It gets played a lot for major ceremonial events over here in England :D

I have been trying to think of another organ piece I love that is normally considered creepy/scary (because it uses 'The Devil's chord'). It has been used in horror films and is by a major composer (Mozart maybe?) but I can't for the life of me remember what the piece is called :(
The Widor Toccata was also played as the congregation left Westminster Abbey after the royal wedding this year :)

I'll try and think of what piece you mean. It sounds like something I have heard of before but right now I don't know it. At least FDL had a sound example for me to guess with :lol:
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

maartendas wrote: The Widor Toccata was also played as the congregation left Westminster Abbey after the royal wedding this year :)

I'll try and think of what piece you mean. It sounds like something I have heard of before but right now I don't know it. At least FDL had a sound example for me to guess with :lol:
Don't worry I remembered - it's actually Bach. Toccata and Fugue in D minor

[youtube][/youtube]

Mercy & Love
Murkskis

Post by Murkskis »

Yorkie wrote: it's actually Bach. Toccata and Fugue in D minor
It's a good one! Listening 8)
And Widor's Toccata as well.
Murkskis

Post by Murkskis »

Similar but this is not the same.
J.S.BACH Toccata e fuga in D minor
I especially like the part that starts ~@2.50

[youtube][/youtube]
maartendas
Diamond Member

Post by maartendas »

Oh THAT piece :) I didn't know that story was connected to it.
It's very famous. It's one of those pieces that have come to symbolise organ music.
I like the version Yorkie posted. The organ sound is a little warmer and also the speed is just right. Thanks for sharing this, it went very well with my morning coffee :)
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

Another organ for you to drool over Maarten..........

[youtube][/youtube]

Mercy & Love