Cross-cultural issues

Talk about anything else here

Moderator: Moderators

Murkskis

Cross-cultural issues

Post by Murkskis »

Opening a topic about cross-cultural issues.
I just found a funny article on the web to start with.
Please add you own experience if you dare ! :D
Hope we will stay focused on the positive side when facing a different culture and have some fun or even a deeper insight
:)

------------------------------------------------------------
Here we go- I'm posting just a part of that article, the rest of it you can find here:

''When a passenger of foot heave in sight,
tootle the horn. Trumpet him melodiously
at first, but if he still obstacles your
passage tootle him with vigor."

-From a brochure at a Tokyo car rental firm

Many of you may have heard of these infamous errors made by multinational corporations when translating brands or slogans abroad. Language, of course, is only one of many cultural barriers you may have to bridge with your partner organization. We hope this list will entertain you while giving important insight on the potential pitfalls of cross culture communication and serving as a reminder of the importance of a good sense of humor! American and Canadian groups may need to explain to their international partners some of the finer meanings of certain words used below.

- When Kentucky Fried Chicken entered the Chinese market, to their horror they discovered that their slogan "finger lickin' good" came out as "eat your fingers off"

- Chinese translation also proved difficult for Coke, which took two tries to get it right. They first tried Ke-kou-ke-la because when pronounced it sounded roughly like Coca-Cola. It wasn't until after thousands of signs had been printed that they discovered that the phrase means "bite the wax tadpole" or "female horse stuffed with wax", depending on the dialect. Second time around things worked out much better. After researching 40,000 Chinese characters, Coke came up with "ko-kou-ko-le" which translates roughly to the much more appropriate "happiness in the mouth".

- Things weren't much easier for Coke's arch-rival Pepsi. When they entered the Chinese market a few years ago, the translation of their slogan "Pepsi Brings you Back to Life" was a little more literal than they intended. In Chinese, the slogan meant, "Pepsi Brings Your Ancestors Back from the Grave".

- But it's not just in Asian markets that soft drinks makers have problems. In Italy, a campaign for "Schweppes Tonic Water" translated the name into the much less thirst quenching "Schweppes Toilet Water".

"Each culture has its own rules of communication. A French executive would probably be offended if a new acquaintance were to address him by his first name. Giving the "thumbs up" signal in Australia is impolite. And a display of frankness so common to Americans perpetuates the Japanese impression that the American people exhibit a lack of discipline. Even though such cultural collisions often elicit negative feedback, they rarely provoke extreme hostility. Instead, committing a cultural taboo is usually regarded as improper, discourteous, or disrespectful. The individual who has the misfortune of committing the taboo is "rewarded" with expressions of anger or flat-out silence, which in turn can be misinterpreted. Such mishaps in communication almost always serve to diminish one's credibility.

--------------------------
Why I think this topic is needed for the forum:
- Libera's music has spread internationally. You can find their fans in so many countries. It's amazing! I hope everyone agrees it's a good thing.
- People that join the forum often have a different background and they often find it difficult to understand the best way to express themselves. (However, I think that forum rules are meant to make this online world a better place to live and not to discourage anyone)
- Hopefully people from 'far-away countries' won't be slashed for strange expressions. But this doesn't mean that strange phrases should be posted 'on every corner' :roll:
- We all enjoy a peaceful forum, reading nice posts and understanding each other. (the majority of forum members will understand you if you use English to express your opinion)
So my intention is to improve communication here and to avoid unfriendly reactions. :D
sf@gnum

Re: Cross-cultural issues

Post by sf@gnum »

Thanks, Murkskis, this subject really funny, although sometimes it is laughter through tears.
Unfortunately, I can not give examples here, as you have, because my examples require translation into English. And if I do, then they generally will not find out :oops: :D
And so - there are many funny moments. :)
Murkskis wrote:Why I think this topic is needed for the forum:
That's right you wrote. +500 Image

ЗЫ: I think for a while that I can write here to make it clear. For in my own language I'm writing well, and wisely using the many words from my extensive vocabulary. In the case of English, my speech is flawed and humble Image
Lauren
Silver Member

Post by Lauren »

sf@gnum wrote:I think for a while that I can write here to make it clear. For in my own language I'm writing well, and wisely using the many words from my extensive vocabulary. In the case of English, my speech is flawed and humble Image
Do not worry, sf@gnum. Your English is much better than my Russian. :)

Your smiley faces are much better also. :lol:
http://www.mini-angels.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
sf@gnum

Post by sf@gnum »

Lauren wrote:Do not worry, sf@gnum.
Okay, I will not Image
Lauren wrote:Your smiley faces are much better also
They are called "balls" - in Russian "kolobok", "kolobky".
Here is the site of the author http://www.kolobok.us/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Cross-cultural development Image
They can be completely free to use here if he wants Mr. Admin, you can use them to replace standard emoticons.
We usually have people who use phpBB engine and other engines, and do so.
I have set them on my site, for example.

-=-=-=-=-=--=-

On the issue of of topic. Do you know why our sports commentators often give different names athletes from Korea and China? Image
Murkskis

Post by Murkskis »

sf@gnum wrote:
Lauren wrote:Your smiley faces are much better also
They are called "balls" - in Russian "kolobok", "kolobky".
Here is the site of the author http://www.kolobok.us/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Cross-cultural development Image
They can be completely free to use here if he wants Mr. Admin, you can use them to replace standard emoticons.
Yes, I also like all these funny faces! Image
I just borrowed one ... :wink:
sf@gnum wrote: On the issue of of topic. Do you know why our sports commentators often give different names athletes from Korea and China? Image
:o
No idea! Please, tell us!
P.s. BTW, some Korean fans read us as well :D
sf@gnum

Post by sf@gnum »

Murkskis wrote: BTW, some Korean fans read us as well
Well, considering that in my veins flows the blood of a Korean, I can not say anything bad by definition.
(I wrote about the blood correctly?)
Murkskis wrote:No idea! Please, tell us!
Unfortunately, I can not give you an example, now you'll understand why.

The fact is that in Russian, some oriental surnames and names sound .... indecent. (indecent - it's softly told). Image
Therefore, commenters replace some letters in the names so as not to arouse the audience laugh.
So it goes. Image
Sue
Silver Member

Post by Sue »

:oops: A classical example we had in the newbie-thread http://www.libera-dreams.com/forum/view ... =38&t=1277" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; with the word 'dwarf' or gnome, midget, pigmy, squirt. I still don't know the right british word :(
libera36

Post by libera36 »

Sue wrote::oops: A classical example we had in the newbie-thread http://www.libera-dreams.com/forum/view ... =38&t=1277" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; with the word 'dwarf' or gnome, midget, pigmy, squirt. I still don't know the right british word :(
In this case, I think the word you are looking for is "mini". Mini-Matthew, Mini-James, Mini-Ben... all 'Mini-boys' :D
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

libera36 wrote:
Sue wrote::oops: A classical example we had in the newbie-thread http://www.libera-dreams.com/forum/view ... =38&t=1277" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; with the word 'dwarf' or gnome, midget, pigmy, squirt. I still don't know the right british word :(
In this case, I think the word you are looking for is "mini". Mini-Matthew, Mini-James, Mini-Ben... all 'Mini-boys' :D
'Mini' is a fun, informal term that was used by Libera to distinguish young Benedict from Mr Crawley. 'Small' would probably be a more usual English term to describe a young boy - all the others are rather non-pc terms or are derived from specific medical conditions :D
If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
maartendas
Diamond Member

Post by maartendas »

Food is always a nice way to notice cultural differences ;)
One time my dad and I were in Norway (we also have some family there) and went to a pizza restaurant, just the two of us, and both ordered a pizza. The waiter asked: where is the rest of your group, or are there more people coming, or something like that. So we said, no it's just the two of us, and were a bit surprised about this question.
A few minutes later the waiter arrived with two HUGE pizzas (we used the term 'car wheel' for it but in fact they were even bigger than that!), one for me and one for my dad. There was no way we could finish those. So, clearly, in Norway, people order one pizza for several people, and then just share ;)
This was illustrated when we visited my aunt and uncle (my uncle, from my father's side, married a Norwegian woman and moved over there) and we sat down to watch Columbo on TV and installed ourselves with one or two pizzas and just shared together and were full by the end. It was a really nice way to share a meal :)

On another vacation with my dad when we went to Bretagne in France, when we had a traditional "fruits de mer" (sea food). We ordered a big one for two people BUT we never expected anything TOO big because on the menu it was under "hors d'oeuvres" (starters). Well, we got so many different sea food and also the strangest cutlery to deal with all the shells and what not, that we were so busy with our "starter" that in the meantime we saw other guests arrive, order, dine and leave - when we were still working on our crabs, lobster, squid, shells, shrimps etc :D But we had a great time and enjoyed it all very much :)

Oh and on the way to our destination in Bretagne we stopped during the afternoon at a roadside restaurant, waiting to be asked for something to drink or a menu, when all of a sudden food and wine was served, just like that! Apparently that's what they served and nothing else. If you sat down there, that's what you got :D It was something like chips, beef, salad and a full bottle of red wine, right in the middle of a sunny afternoon in France 8)

I'm sure I can come up with more cross-cultural food stories if I think back a little more ;)

--edit: oh yes, English breakfast :shock: My first real introduction with that came at my b&b in London in March. I could help myself to a choice of cereal and yoghurt, tea or coffee, fruit juice, and toast... and THEN came the question what my choice of breakfast would be! When all I had by that time was already more than my usual breakfast ;) (which is cereal followed by coffee) (and this in the sober time of Lent..!). I usually ended up choosing waffles, and didn't venture into the category of bacon, eggs, beans and you name it (and was amazed at those who did).
Seriously, English people - what is the origin of such huge (and 'heavy') breakfasts? :)
You raise me high beyond the sky
Through stormy night lifting me above
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

maartendas wrote: --edit: oh yes, English breakfast :shock: My first real introduction with that came at my b&b in London in March. I could help myself to a choice of cereal and yoghurt, tea or coffee, fruit juice, and toast... and THEN came the question what my choice of breakfast would be! When all I had by that time was already more than my usual breakfast ;) (which is cereal followed by coffee) (and this in the sober time of Lent..!). I usually ended up choosing waffles, and didn't venture into the category of bacon, eggs, beans and you name it (and was amazed at those who did).
Seriously, English people - what is the origin of such huge (and 'heavy') breakfasts? :)
Breakfast like a King, lunch like a Prince and dine like a pauper as the saying goes :D

It isn't normal to eat the cereal, yoghurt, fruit, toast & a cooked breakfast - that only happens when your in a hotel with a paid for breakfast!

The history is a bit shaky - one theory is that it came in with the start of the Industrial Revolution. A big, high calorie meal to get people through the day to their evening meal. Unlike our continental cousins who idled the day raising three cows and some ducks, the British peasant was risking life and limb in the factories that changed the world. They needed a bit more than a croissant and some nutella to see them through the day.

Speaking of the working poor, I'm just watching Oliver! on my new TV :lol:

Mercy & Love
viabuona
Gold Member

Post by viabuona »

Yorkie wrote:The history is a bit shaky - one theory is that it came in with the start of the Industrial Revolution. A big, high calorie meal to get people through the day to their evening meal. Unlike our continental cousins who idled the day raising three cows and some ducks, the British peasant was risking life and limb in the factories that changed the world. They needed a bit more than a croissant and some nutella to see them through the day.
Aha - and I was told that the british breakfast is so large that at least the stomach works for eight hours. :mrgreen:
maartendas
Diamond Member

Post by maartendas »

Yorkie wrote: The history is a bit shaky - one theory is that it came in with the start of the Industrial Revolution. A big, high calorie meal to get people through the day to their evening meal. Unlike our continental cousins who idled the day raising three cows and some ducks, the British peasant was risking life and limb in the factories that changed the world. They needed a bit more than a croissant and some nutella to see them through the day.

Speaking of the working poor, I'm just watching Oliver! on my new TV :lol:
:lol: Loved the bit about the cows and ducks, and the croissant and nutella ;)
But it makes sense, about the history of the Industrial Revolution. Next time I'll look at a full English breakfast with more reverence for the strong working class food :)
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

viabuona wrote:
Yorkie wrote:The history is a bit shaky - one theory is that it came in with the start of the Industrial Revolution. A big, high calorie meal to get people through the day to their evening meal. Unlike our continental cousins who idled the day raising three cows and some ducks, the British peasant was risking life and limb in the factories that changed the world. They needed a bit more than a croissant and some nutella to see them through the day.
Aha - and I was told that the british breakfast is so large that at least the stomach works for eight hours. :mrgreen:

An outrage :x I need to sit down with a cup of tea and a biscuit just to get over the shock :shock:

Mercy & Love
maartendas
Diamond Member

Post by maartendas »

Yorkie wrote:
viabuona wrote:

An outrage :x I need to sit down with a cup of tea and a biscuit just to get over the shock :shock:
:lol: Just tea and a biscuit? :wink: