We Are The Lost

Talk about Libera here in.

Moderator: Moderators

kay
Silver Member

We Are The Lost

Post by kay »

Not sure where this fits but:
I am an adopted child so any family I talk of are not blood related okay.
Now my Mother's father was killed in what we call The Geeat War 1914-1918. and is buried in Flanders fields. Now my cousin's grandson recently went on a trip from school to there AND found his Great, Great (hope enought greats is right) Grandfathers grave!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Of course the folk with him were dcelighted for him the only one who actually found a relatives grave there. He took pictures for the family - good kid. This of course makes We Are The Lost so much more poigant for me. 'And I will not break faith with those who lie in row on row'
I Listen To the Music Of Angels
maartendas
Diamond Member

Re: We Are The Lost

Post by maartendas »

Thanks for your impressive story Kay. It can be so special the way Libera's music enters and touches our lives.
You raise me high beyond the sky
Through stormy night lifting me above
paul
Site Admin

Post by paul »

I alway found that such a poigant track with so much meaning, note quite as personaly as you though.
Joe Snelling Quote: "It's odd cuz my voice is low but I do quite a lot of the top notes"

"Music and rhythm find their way into the secret places of the soul"

- Plato
BrightEyes
Silver Member

Post by BrightEyes »

Hi Kay,

This will always be one of my very favorite Libera songs. I think it is a beautiful, haunting way to remember the thousands of soldiers who gave their lives in that terrible war.

Do you know much about the battle where your cousin's great, great grandfather was killed?
"How can the light that burned so brightly, Suddenly burn so pale?"
kay
Silver Member

Post by kay »

Bright Eyes

Not that much, I know the idea was that the allies (then) pounded the enemy with artillery and then it was expected they would simply WALK over the enemy. So much so that the order for charging was to WALK...... I think haklf a million men died in that battle, unbelieveable. The graves are still kept in pristine condition, after all these years.
BTW this is personal. When I was a kid, one of my best friends was nicknamed Bright Eyes, mainly because his eyes were a brillaint blue, small world isn't it?
BrightEyes
Silver Member

Post by BrightEyes »

Bright Eyes

Not that much, I know the idea was that the allies (then) pounded the enemy with artillery and then it was expected they would simply WALK over the enemy. So much so that the order for charging was to WALK...... I think haklf a million men died in that battle, unbelieveable. The graves are still kept in pristine condition, after all these years.
BTW this is personal. When I was a kid, one of my best friends was nicknamed Bright Eyes, mainly because his eyes were a brillaint blue, small world isn't it?
Hey Kay,

Here are the lyrics to the original poem by Canadian John Mcrae:

In Flanders Fields
In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved, and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.

He wrote this in 1915 from the trenches at the 2nd Battle of Ypres, after his friend had just been killed, one of 6,000 Canadian casualties in just 48 hours.

This war in the trenches was truly horrific. That's amazing they had to walk into that hail of fire.

Oh and on a much happier note, that's cool about your friend's nickname. My avatar comes from Watership Down, and the song "Bright Eyes" from that movie, which St. Philips Boys Choir covered as one of the tracks on "Angel Voices 2".
"How can the light that burned so brightly, Suddenly burn so pale?"
maartendas
Diamond Member

Post by maartendas »

A few months ago I listened to Benjamin Britten's War Requiem for the first time, a truly amazing experience. Breathtaking, stunning, deeply moving. In it, he uses the words of the Requiem Mass along with poems from the World War I poet Wilfred Owen. If you are in any way interested in those writings, the War Requiem is not to be missed - just as it is for anyone with a pulse and working ears ;) Here's a taste of what it has to offer (starting with some *very* familiar words..):

[youtube][/youtube]
kay
Silver Member

Post by kay »

First Bright Eyes. Thank you for psoting the full poem, how anyone could write anything under such horric circumstances is amazing (I write but in a fairly peaceful environment) The soldiers lived in thinck mud for weeks at a time, being shelled and snied at all the time.
I loved Watership Down, even if the 'hero' did die at the end. or did he? That's somethign everyone has to decide for themselves. Death or eternal life.

Maartendas.
Tanks for the link to a time when horror wa a daily companion to those young men, the flower of nations which were lost.
maartendas
Diamond Member

Post by maartendas »

kay wrote:First Bright Eyes. Thank you for psoting the full poem, how anyone could write anything under such horric circumstances is amazing (I write but in a fairly peaceful environment) The soldiers lived in thinck mud for weeks at a time, being shelled and snied at all the time.
Perhaps under those circumstances they must have felt the need to leave something behind, to let their voice be heard, or to just retain some sort of sanity...... Maybe they felt the need to 'say it' once and for all - no luxury poems about flowers and cats and trees but the truth about life and man.......
TullyBascombe
Platinum Member

Post by TullyBascombe »

Yes, remember that they had been told that war would be all glory and heroism. it didn't take long for the reality to sink in. It took 4 long years of war though for the nations of Europe to fully realise the utter senslessness of the war - fighting over a small province in the Balkans whose people were never asked which country they wanted to belong to.
kay
Silver Member

Post by kay »

tullybascombe

honest my last words on this, the 'boys' soon found out the reality, the deaths, the loss of limbs, shellshock (which wasnt recognised then and called cowardice for which they shot so many!!!!)

Someone said 'war is hell' that it certainly is.

Yet for all this I will always love thii song by the Best Boy Band In The World. And Best Treble Choir In The World
paul
Site Admin

Post by paul »

kay wrote:tullybascombe

honest my last words on this, the 'boys' soon found out the reality, the deaths, the loss of limbs, shellshock (which wasnt recognised then and called cowardice for which they shot so many!!!!)

Yet for all this I will always love thii song by the Best Boy Band In The World. And Best Treble Choir In The World
Tut tut, they dont like to be called Boy Band, But I do second that.

They are the best boy group in the world
Joe Snelling Quote: "It's odd cuz my voice is low but I do quite a lot of the top notes"

"Music and rhythm find their way into the secret places of the soul"

- Plato
maartendas
Diamond Member

Post by maartendas »

paul30003 wrote:
kay wrote:tullybascombe

Tut tut, they dont like to be called Boy Band, But I do second that.

They are the best boy group in the world
;)
kay
Silver Member

Post by kay »

Okay Boy Group, anyway, whatever the name, they are still THE BEST
maartendas
Diamond Member

Post by maartendas »

Kay: Paul referred to the Salt + Light interview (see thread elsewhere) because in it, Liam says he prefers boy group instead of boy band ;)