Member News

Talk about anything else here

Moderator: Moderators

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Hallelujah!! Lets pray it stays that way.
Jude Andrew
Gold Member

Post by Jude Andrew »

tcliffy wrote:So... um, I probably wont be on for a few days after today due to the hurricane hitting us. I'm going to be right in it's path and even if I'm not, we're going to be flooded. I've just been told not to come in to work tomorrow and possibly wednesday.
Are you sure you aren't just experiencing summer in Ireland??? sound remarkably similar :)

Seriously though, I am glad you escaped unscathed.

Jude
kjackson83

Post by kjackson83 »

tcliffy wrote:Thanks everyone for your prayers, thus far nothings happened... not even a drop of rain yet. The hurricane never actually became a hurricane so there's nothing as of yet to really worry about, Praise God.
Great to hear, tcliffy: T.S. Eduardo slammed into us two weeks ago...and did almost nothing beyond a brief deluge and a few gusts.
xsakurax
Gold Member

Post by xsakurax »

So... um, I probably wont be on for a few days after today due to the hurricane hitting us. I'm going to be right in it's path and even if I'm not, we're going to be flooded. I've just been told not to come in to work tomorrow and possibly wednesday.
Tcliffy, hope everything's well. I'm really shocked to hear it. Do such stuff seem common in the US? Because once in a while, when I read from the newspapers or online, I find such news about hurricane, tornadoes, floods and stuff like that. It makes me really scared and insecure. It's nature, most of the time, but if only we could do something to it. Argh.
TEB
Gold Member

Post by TEB »

xsakurax wrote:
Do such stuff seem common in the US? .

Unfortunately, yes to this. Even in the land locked states such as mine, Pennsylvania, we get extremely bad weather. Hurricanes have been known to come inland as far as my state and we have more than enough tornados in the summer months. We just had one sighted with in a few miles of my home 2 weeks ago.
Tom B.
Proud to be an American
Clan Farquharson, Scotland

"I AM THE DAWN OF ALL TIME."
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

In my part of the US, the western seaboard, particularly in California, we are prone to mild to moderate to severe earthquakes and a large earthquake originating from the ocean can cause a large and deadly tidal wave. There is no escaping the wrath of mother nature.
tcliffy
Gold Member

Post by tcliffy »

xsakurax wrote:
So... um, I probably wont be on for a few days after today due to the hurricane hitting us. I'm going to be right in it's path and even if I'm not, we're going to be flooded. I've just been told not to come in to work tomorrow and possibly wednesday.
Tcliffy, hope everything's well. I'm really shocked to hear it. Do such stuff seem common in the US? Because once in a while, when I read from the newspapers or online, I find such news about hurricane, tornadoes, floods and stuff like that. It makes me really scared and insecure. It's nature, most of the time, but if only we could do something to it. Argh.
Pretty much every summer during "Hurricane Season" we see quite a few things like this. Let's hope the spot of low pressure in the Atlantic doesn't become a depression as that's how hurricanes develop.
http://www.troyesivan.com/forum" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
xsakurax
Gold Member

Post by xsakurax »

Oh my.. That's really scary. All the natural disasters and stuff. Count myself lucky, the worst I ever experienced here is maybe only some haze situation when there's forest fires in neighbouring countries and maybe heavy downpour that lead to less than 10cm of "flood".

Gosh. And I should stop complaining.
tcliffy
Gold Member

Post by tcliffy »

KJackson, I wish you well and hope you stay safe as hurricane Ike heads towards Texas. Will pray for you.
kjackson83

Post by kjackson83 »

Tcliffy:
We all thank you very much and are watching Ike like hawks. Better us than New Orleans, though... Thanks again.
kjackson83

Post by kjackson83 »

Well folks:
The latest models show Hurricane Ike passing either right on top of or very near Houston, at some point within the next 36 hours, and a large portion of the city is being evacuated--my entire university system is shutting down until Monday. It is going to miss NOLA, though, which is a relief.

So I probably won't be on for a few days after today.
TEB
Gold Member

Post by TEB »

Take care and be safe. You will be in my prayers.
Tom B.
Proud to be an American
Clan Farquharson, Scotland

"I AM THE DAWN OF ALL TIME."
kjackson83

Post by kjackson83 »

Hello all:
I'm online for the first time in a week--power is still down in my area (the northern suburbs); Houston took a big beating from Hurricane Ike, but we're slowly getting back on our feet. We lost a tree in our front yard, but the coastal areas are totally devastated. Things are looking up, though...
Digs
Silver Member

Post by Digs »

kjackson83 wrote:Hello all:
I'm online for the first time in a week--power is still down in my area (the northern suburbs); Houston took a big beating from Hurricane Ike, but we're slowly getting back on our feet. We lost a tree in our front yard, but the coastal areas are totally devastated. Things are looking up, though...
Glad to hear you are OK. I've seen the damage on Tv, and it looks quite bad down there. My thoughts and prayers are with you all as you recover from Ike. I hope you are back to normal soon!! :D
Digger
tcliffy
Gold Member

Post by tcliffy »

Aww... the poor tree. Glad your not hurt though. Hope your life (and power) get's back to normal sooner rather than later. I know what it's like to be without power in summer. HOT!!!

So, yesterday, I became friends with an exchange student from Australia. He's in one of my history classes and is a social science education major. He says there's a desparate need for teachers in interior Australia since most people now live along the coast. Perhaps this is my calling, perhaps I should move to Ozzy land and become a teacher??? Huh, too many things to think about. I've got 2 exams on Tuesday and 1 on Thursday, not to mention a mountain of readings and an essay due on Thursday. All I can say is... I can't wait to graduate Uni and rid myself of the stress. High school students... don't take school for granted. College is 10 times worse.